ADVERTISEMENT

When Geo and Harper break out of their slumps we will be fine

We are damn near winning games without production from them. Once they snap out of it, we will win games
It certainly would help. They're both having a tough time right now.

Last year in B1G games, RHJ shot .440 from the floor vs .368 this year, and .343 from 3 vs .273 now.
Geo shot .335 from the floor vs .286 this year, and .330 from 3 vs .258.

Caleb's % are also down as is Tez' from the floor (but more than 100 points higher from 3)

Miles' % from the floor is dead even with last year's. Free throws are better (.375 vs .333), but still pathetic.

On the other hand, when comparing Yeboah to Eugene,:
.447 from the floor vs. .414. .380 from 3 vs. .143 .778 vs .725 free throws
5.3 vs 6.8 rpg and Akwasi's steals and blocks to date match exactly Eugene's from the entire B1G season

Geo is a proven B1G talent. He did it as a freshman and sophomore. The injury set him back. No doubt. But he can play. Harper also has a track record. I really hope both are clicking late in the season thru the B1G tourny and beyond. I think they will.

Geo is a proven B1G talent. He did it as a freshman and sophomore. The injury set him back. No doubt. But he can play. Harper also has a track record. I really hope both are clicking late in the season thru the B1G tourny and beyond. I think they will.
The concerning part with Geo is he was shooting poorly all year and that mostly included all the lower level out of conference games. He hit some big shots that likely make people not realize just how poorly he shot this season when he should have been making a jump forward

Reactions: JQRU91
The concerning part with Geo is he was shooting poorly all year and that mostly included all the lower level out of conference games. He hit some big shots that likely make people not realize just how poorly he shot this season when he should have been making a jump forward

i think what it comes down to is that he is not a catch and shoot player. Let him have more iso opportunities to get him into his flow.

Reactions: JQRU91
During his career, he always seemed to play best against the best opposition. He was great in the B1G tourny as a freshman. That is not easy to do. I do agree that he needs to attack the basket and draw fouls. He's a plus defender.

Proven to a degree but bottom line Geo is overrated. He has always disappeared for long stretches in each season and essentially been a complete no show this year even prior to the injury. Love Geo, and he has hit some big end game shots but he is no doubt overrated.

Proven to a degree but bottom line Geo is overrated. He has always disappeared for long stretches in each season and essentially been a complete no show this year even prior to the injury. Love Geo, and he has hit some big end game shots but he is no doubt overrated.

That's really harsh. Not sure how you say you love him and write that. Ask some B1G coaches what they think about him.

Reactions: satnom and ChasRC69
That's really harsh. Not sure how you say you love him and write that. Ask some B1G coaches what they think about him.
Agree with you... I think we compare Geo.. and everyone.. to STAR players from teams who totally rely on those guys. We have more of a mix of players who can do good things.. so why rely on any one when spreading the ball around has worked pretty well?

We have seen certain layers on O push the individual move, like a star does, and it to both succeed and fail.. but it doesn't look like team basketball.

Geo is proven.. he's just hurt.. and with the bandage on he had a visual and tactile reminder that he is hurt.. I think it controlled him a bit.. now with it off he wants to do the things he used to do but the left thumb is not there. I think that's it.

Reactions: patk89

I view Geo as more of a "leader" than a "go-to scorer." He has had way more 4-15 games than he has had 8-13 games in his career. Way more. At some point, you just have to acknowledge that he's really not a "good" shooter. Can he get hot at times? Absolutely. But overall he's not a good shooter. His career statistics would bear that out.

But, he's a GREAT leader, a very good facilitator, and has become a plus defender with his ability to get steals and blocks.

Last year he disappeared at the end. Hurt us in the Big Ten tournament. In his last 4 games last year he had 9,0,4,9 points. He's streaky. Hopefully he'll be trending up towards the end of the year this time around

I think a lot of people are really undervaluing the 5 days off the team has right now. They looked downright exhausted after that last stretch and I think this break is what they needed more than anything.

Might be too much of a generality to say Geo wasn’t shooting well before his injury.

He was shooting well from 2-point range, at 55% in our first 12 games before Caldwell (the game at which he was icing his thumb on the bench), and lousy from behind the arc.

Just a hunch but part of his shooting problem may be due to the extra distance from 3 this year.

Geo is another 3-4 weeks from having that thumb in good shape. Take it fwiw but heard it from a very very good source. Your choice whether or not u wanna believe me. Dont expect much from him until march

Thumb seemed fine last night. Guy proved what he is capable of. Expect him to have a very strong stretch run. He won the game for us last night.

when Geo barely missed the first half 3, I commented - he's getting closer. After he hit the 2 before the half, I knew he was back on track.
Harper shot is also about to start clicking again. a few just rattled out - look for a breakthrough game for him at OSU.
(hope this prediction is true too, as with ten minutes to go last night I predicted we would get it to overtime..)

Reactions: Scangg and patk89
I think you meant 3-4 hours.
he looked good last night and thumb looked good. I was told by someone who directly talked to geo that geo didn't think he'd be good til basically early march. Guess he's feeling better.

To be honest one of the frustrating parts of geo over the last month was that he was tentative in going after loose balls and rebounds. I completely understand why and hopefully as his health improves the rest of the games comes back along. Guy is flat out the offense we need to carry this team for a run.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Harper and Johnson need to wake the F up. Maybe try to throw their weight around a bit? For two big kids they've been playing incredibly soft

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT