ADVERTISEMENT

Where will Wrestling Finish in the 2019 NCAA Tournament? WNG & Others

Racpack

Senior
Jan 21, 2012
WNG - Do you think RU will finish in the top 10 at the NCAAs?

Which of these teams will we beat in the tournament?

Penn State, Oklahoma State, Ohio State, Iowa, Missouri, Cornell, Lehigh, NC State, Michigan, Arizona State, Va Tech, Nebraska.

What does everyone think?

Lehigh-they seem to be slipping a tad
Nebraska-had a great tournament last year(except 133) don't expect a repeat of that.
Arizona St.-does any team do less with more
Michigan-might just pass them, they lost two heavy hitters.

No disrespect Bill but we don’t have a better squad than Michigan. We also don’t have the horses to beat Cornell and ASU as both have heavy heavy favorites to repeat as champs.

I just don’t see it. We’re probably sending if we’re lucky a 6 man squad to NCAAs (gravina, ash, Suriano, jvb, are the only locks). Unless that’s a champ who scores bonus + 3 AAs who advance far before going to the consolation bracket, I just don’t see it.

No disrespect Bill but we don’t have a better squad than Michigan. We also don’t have the horses to beat Cornell and ASU as both have heavy heavy favorites to repeat as champs.

I just don’t see it. We’re probably sending if we’re lucky a 6 man squad to NCAAs (gravina, ash, Suriano, jvb, are the only locks). Unless that’s a champ who scores bonus + 3 AAs who advance far before going to the consolation bracket, I just don’t see it.

Correnti and Collucci have realistic chances to qualify for the NCAA Tourney, and Stephan Glasgow and Mike Van Brill might also.
For those that don't have 247 Premium, they had an exclusive interview a few days ago with Glasgow. A lot of new info (to me) on what he dealt with the past season, preventing him from wrestling in Open Tournaments , was a real eye opener. He's raring to go at 157 now.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU23
Correnti and Collucci have good chances to qualify for the NCAA Tourney, and Stephan Glasgow does too.
For those that don't have 247 Premium, they had an exclusive interview a few days ago with Glasgow. A lot of new info (to me) on what he dealt with the past season, preventing him from wrestling, was a real eye opener. He's raring to go at 157.

Good chances to qualify don’t mean team points. We gotta win matches in March. Do you see anyone else who makes it to blood round/threat to get to blood round?

We all knew Scotty D had it. We knew Kenny T had it. We know JVB and Gravina (if healthy) can climb to the podium. Anyone else this year you feel is certain to take pressure off Suriano and ash? Again, certain is the key Word. Maybe Glasgow is great. Maybe he is the next Andrew comp (no disrespect intended).

I have low expectations for the coming year.

We knew Scotty D and Theobold were going to AA? I'm not so sure about that, lol. Those were nice surprises in my book.
I think Nick Gravina and John Van Brill are certainly capable of AA, and hopefully some more surprises like Del Vech and Theobold in Correnti and MVB or Glasgow.

And every win at NCAAs and bonus point counts towards scoring. Hopefully Glasgow is going to be an AA contender is first year, but that's asking a lot. Maybe Correnti surprises us and gets to the Blood Round.
AND.... Maybe 2 National Champs in Ash at 149 and Suriano at ?

Last edited:
Abro, I felt pretty confident in KT and SD going into senior year that they’d AA. Now was I always sure all season? Hell no. But they were known commodities.

Reactions: Abro1975
Banjo - agree with you. Other than Suriano and Ashnault where will we score points. In first 2 weights likely to only qualify Nick. Hard for little van brill to make 141 and that is a tough weight. AA should all American if recovers from injury. Let’s see how he does oversees in a couple of weeks. Glasgow had many injuries last year it’s his first NCAA year. Big van brill has too much competition at 165 and is probably not big enough. 174 Grello or Pagano national qualifiers and that is it. Gravina with another surgery may not last season. His time on mat will be carefully managed. Correnti not physically strong enough to compete with top guys. Needs to hit the weight room. Collucci not enough body of work to judge him. Was backup to Wood at Lehigh who was a round of 12 guy.

Good year will be 2 top 3 finishes at NCAAs and 8 national qualifiers.

Any idea yet if Suriano is leaning 125 or 133? I think Aguilar has a chance to do some damage at 125 if Suriano moves to 133.

If you’re Suriano are your Title chances better against Lee at 125 or Gross at 133 ?

For me probably against Gross. Suriano will decide what weight he goes based on how his body feels.

I think his decision could change from beginning of the season to the post season, and not on how his body feels, but on how he feels his chances are of winning it all. Is that a fair statement?

PS- The talented Daton Fix also enters the equation this year. I'm assuming he's 125, but not sure.

Lehigh-they seem to be slipping a tad
Nebraska-had a great tournament last year(except 133) don't expect a repeat of that.
Arizona St.-does any team do less with more
Michigan-might just pass them, they lost two heavy hitters.

I have no idea how it will play out at the NCAA’s next year but NU will be a much better and deeper team next year. Last year was pathetic for the regular season. Worst team Manning has put on the mat since his arrival.

I have no idea how it will play out at the NCAA’s next year but NU will be a much better and deeper team next year. Last year was pathetic for the regular season. Worst team Manning has put on the mat since his arrival.
You guys just lost your stud Renturia to Iowa I saw. Who will wrestle at 133 in his place?

You guys just lost your stud Renturia to Iowa I saw. Who will wrestle at 133 in his place?

Brian Peska will probably be who starts out there unless Zeke Moisey moves up from 125 which is doubtful. They have a couple kids, Alex Thomsen and Josh Mason, at 133 coming out of redshirt as well so it could end up being one of them as well. Renteria will be missed but I don't think will be missed by his teammates(just some rumblings about his attitude but also not confirmed).

You and I had this discussion during the past NCAA's. We both agreed Nebraska looked like they were dead in the water after the second session. Then boom, in the wrestle backs won almost all the close matches to place 3. With Berger taking top honors by placing 3rd do to default. Not taking anything away from your wrestlers they won the matches they had to. But, you guys had a tremendous final night session and day session. Even your coach said so.

Brian Peska will probably be who starts out there unless Zeke Moisey moves up from 125 which is doubtful. They have a couple kids, Alex Thomsen and Josh Mason, at 133 coming out of redshirt as well so it could end up being one of them as well. Renteria will be missed but I don't think will be missed by his teammates(just some rumblings about his attitude but also not confirmed).
Thomsen and Mason are both true frosh's, not coming out of RS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT