ADVERTISEMENT

Why do people hate the one and done...It makes sense.

superfan01

All American
May 29, 2003
If the choices were between allowing a player to declare for NBA out of high school or play 1 year in college it makes total sense on all levels for the 1 and done.

From the fan perseoective
Get to see players in the college game that we wouldn’t have got to see otherwise. It was fun watching Zion this year abd I wishI got to see Lebron make a March run. Many fans don’t care for the NBA game as well.

From the NBA perspective.
Easier for a gm and team to scout and project college players then it is to project high school players who play against vastly different competition. If your signing s player to a huge contract i much rather see them in college than HS (even for just s year). Also, the year in college helps mature the player as a person and as an athlete making them more NBA ready on and off court. Less immature.

From a player perspective
They lose a year of salary but can grow their following in college. Zion is definitely a bigger marketing target after a year at duke then if he went straight out of high school.
They get s year to mature and experience college athletics and college life at large top notch universities and become legends at a university.

I’ll take one and done any day over the alternative.

One thing you forget to mention is actually get an education and go to class. The one year Kentucky won it all those four one and done's has a GPA of 0.0. You could not get thrown out after one semester and then they all left for the NBA after the NC Game.
Meanwhile schools that do not have the one and done's, which is the majority, those kids had to actually go to class , study you know the things that college kids should be doing.

If you are happy with the same 4-6 teams that every year make a run at the final four because they are the ones that get those kids so be it. I would rather root for team like Mich St that the kids stay for three or four year and learn to play together.

The one change that i saw and liked would be this. If one of your kids left after 1 year you cannot use that scholarship for two more years. That would stop the teams that get three of four of them a year from becoming minor league NBA team.

I see no reason why the NBA can't draft players right out of high school and send them to the G League. The bigger names would boost attendance at that level, maybe even get it bigger TV exposure, while making college basketball slightly less of a joke than it already is.

I don't expect rocket scientists and future neurosurgeons playing basketball, but going to class would be nice. Knowing were class is would be swell, too.

Reactions: MADHAT1
One thing you forget to mention is actually get an education and go to class. The one year Kentucky won it all those four one and done's has a GPA of 0.0. You could not get thrown out after one semester and then they all left for the NBA after the NC Game.
Meanwhile schools that do not have the one and done's, which is the majority, those kids had to actually go to class , study you know the things that college kids should be doing.

If you are happy with the same 4-6 teams that every year make a run at the final four because they are the ones that get those kids so be it. I would rather root for team like Mich St that the kids stay for three or four year and learn to play together.

The one change that i saw and liked would be this. If one of your kids left after 1 year you cannot use that scholarship for two more years. That would stop the teams that get three of four of them a year from becoming minor league NBA team.

Most of these kids - even the non-stars - don’t give a damn about getting an education. You think Corey sanders was some great scholar ? The system is a sham, and has been for years. But the games are entertaining and we have fun with the brackets. Those were 4 outstanding games this weekend.

For the most part I find that the people against One and Done root for schools that don't get them.

Personally I'm against it and would like to see Two and Done but that isn't happening. Either that or you cannot be drafted till your 20 years old.

I like the idea that kids can go to the G League out of HS or overseas if they want to but you can count one 1 hand the amount of kids ready for the rigors of the NBA coming out of HS over a 3-4 year period.

It is a mans game.

I see no reason why the NBA can't draft players right out of high school and send them to the G League. The bigger names would boost attendance at that level, maybe even get it bigger TV exposure, while making college basketball slightly less of a joke than it already is.

I don't expect rocket scientists and future neurosurgeons playing basketball, but going to class would be nice. Knowing were class is would be swell, too.

The nba isn’t going to draft s player. Pay him millions and have him play in the g league.

Let the NBA have a minor league system apart from the colleges.

Either do away with the 1-and-done entirely, or make it more like football where you have to stay in college for 3 years. The idea of allowing "students" to come to the school and take no classes is a farce. They should either have to take classes to remain eligible (giving at least some benefit from college, even if it's an associate's degree equivalent) or shouldn't have to attend at all. The whole "put in a year at a higher level of competition, but don't actually attend class" concept doesn't benefit anyone but the schools/advertiser's wallets.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I’m fine with the “one and done to the NBA” if the scholarship must count for 4 consecutive years. Then the elite talent might be spread around rather than it all being clustered at a handful of programs. It might even return the emphasis to team rather than individual player.

If everyone is so worried about “education”, shouldn’t you want colleges to stop offering athletic scholarships all together?

Nothing about NCAA football/basketball serves the mission of a university.

Side note - everyone here is a hypocrite.
How many would have said “No Zion. You can’t come here unless you are staying for multiple years. I won’t root for or support you.”

I've never understood this fan belief in the importance of requiring basketball and football players to spend some time playing the sport in college while baseball players have always had the option to start playing professionally after high school or go to college. Option. That's a good thing. Moreover, anything you read from the NBA or NFL about their reasons for not taking players directly out of high school is spin. They want to maintain the minor leagues that they've helped create in colleges. That's it.

Last edited:
Reactions: soundcrib
The nba isn’t going to draft s player. Pay him millions and have him play in the g league.

They already are-----60 to 70 percent of # 1 Draft Choices end up in the G League in their rookie years.

There was a point a year or two ago where 25 of the # 1 picks were in the G League.

If everyone is so worried about “education”, shouldn’t you want colleges to stop offering athletic scholarships all together?

Nothing about NCAA football/basketball serves the mission of a university.

Side note - everyone here is a hypocrite.
How many would have said “No Zion. You can’t come here unless you are staying for multiple years. I won’t root for or support you.”

Athletic scholarships are a way for kids to go to college who otherwise couldn't afford it, and to that end they are beneficial. Tons of scholarships for sports that don't have professional avenues, too - and most of the kids coming through the sports with professional extensions don't go that route. The vast majority of kids on athletic scholarship benefit from a college education that otherwise they would not have been able to pay for or would have put them in significant debt. Athletic scholarships are still a net benefit.

The issue comes when that opportunity is exploited by the university for financial gain - which is what it's doing with 1-and-done players. That "educational" purpose of the scholarship is thrown out entirely, as it's just a year taken away from another kid because the NBA made a silly rule.

Do all college athletes take that educational opportunity seriously? Of course not - and many schools go out of their way to water down that experience as much as possible for their money-making sports. But that is, again, to the school's financial benefit and not to the player's benefit - it decreases the value provided by the school while increasing the value of their return.

Reactions: RC1978
There were so many disillusioned kids before 1 and done was put back into place, that never focused on even the required High School eligibility requirements to be able to go to college, because others convinced them, they were NBA bound.....and then they weren't even able to land a scholarship for a 1 or 2 year stint in college or even a JUCO.

At least the system is somewhat forcing these kids to consider schools and others are actually being exposed faster as not being able to play in the NBA vs those that can....what the NBA loses out on, if they eliminate the 1 and done, is the sales or potential of a draft pick coming to their NBA city.

No one is going to be excited about a 18 or 19 year old unknown that is the 9th or 10th player in a rotation as a rookie, vs the hype of a college star having a following from college to the Pros.

Reactions: superfan01
It’s a complete joke and total mockery of the education everyone else is striving for at the university. Should be the same as football.

There were so many disillusioned kids before 1 and done was put back into place, that never focused on even the required High School eligibility requirements to be able to go to college, because others convinced them, they were NBA bound.....and then they weren't even able to land a scholarship for a 1 or 2 year stint in college or even a JUCO. . . . . .

Please show me the statistical (or any) support for this home-grown thinking, in particular the supposed change that has occurred because of 1 and done.

Also, show me data on the effect a looming professional career has had on the HS performance of highly touted baseball players who for decades and decades have gone pro straight out of HS.

If the choices were between allowing a player to declare for NBA out of high school or play 1 year in college it makes total sense on all levels for the 1 and done.

From the fan perseoective
Get to see players in the college game that we wouldn’t have got to see otherwise. It was fun watching Zion this year abd I wishI got to see Lebron make a March run. Many fans don’t care for the NBA game as well.

From the NBA perspective.
Easier for a gm and team to scout and project college players then it is to project high school players who play against vastly different competition. If your signing s player to a huge contract i much rather see them in college than HS (even for just s year). Also, the year in college helps mature the player as a person and as an athlete making them more NBA ready on and off court. Less immature.

From a player perspective
They lose a year of salary but can grow their following in college. Zion is definitely a bigger marketing target after a year at duke then if he went straight out of high school.
They get s year to mature and experience college athletics and college life at large top notch universities and become legends at a university.

I’ll take one and done any day over the alternative.

If Universities want to start an alternative to the NBA 1 and done’s are fine...

If not the Pukes and University of No Classes can go to hell with run of the mill 4-6 star recruits who actually stay the majority of their college careers ...or G’d forbid :Graduate.

Mo

If Universities want to start an alternative to the NBA 1 and done’s are fine...

If not the Pukes and University of No Classes can go to hell with run of the mill 4-6 star recruits who actually stay the majority of their college careers ...or G’d forbid :Graduate.

Mo

Equal amount of responsibility to graduate falls on the student athlete .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT