ADVERTISEMENT

YouTube Restriction on Viewing Location

dconifer

All Conference
Oct 4, 2004
This post might be inappropriate, especially since I'm an outsider. Please delete if so.

So, yesterday afternoon I was psyched to see what the Rutgers atmosphere would look like, given the excitement, and planned on checking out some of the game. Besides, football season is starting. So I re-activated my YouTube TV subscription.

Then, at 6:00 p.m, I fired it up (in Atlantic City), only to be told that I couldn't watch the game because I wasn't in my home location (or whatever term they use). I guess the first time I established the account, years ago, I did it from my place up by Philadelphia. Last night was in Atlantic City. So it's like the big wooden console TV we had growing up -- it only works in that one place?

It wasn't always this way. I've had no problem turning on games via YouTube TV from all over the place in the past. About a year ago I missed a flight in Atlanta, sat up all night in the terminal working, and finished it off at dawn with an episode of "Better Call Saul." So this is definitely new.

Does anybody know if I am misunderstanding? Otherwise, YTV is useless to me and I will cancel my subscription. I buy it so I can use it on my computer, wherever me and and my computer are. Period.

Thank you...

* edited to mention that it was "Better Call Saul", not "Breaking Bad", and it was actually two years ago...

Last edited:
Reactions: JRZEER
This post might be inappropriate, especially since I'm an outsider. Please delete if so.

So, yesterday afternoon I was psyched to see what the Rutgers atmosphere would look like, given the excitement, and planned on checking out some of the game. Besides, football season is starting. So I re-activated my YouTube TV subscription.

Then, at 6:00 p.m, I fired it up (in Atlantic City), only to be told that I couldn't watch the game because I wasn't in my home location (or whatever term they use). I guess the first time I established the account, years ago, I did it from my place up by Philadelphia. Last night was in Atlantic City. So it's like the big wooden console TV we had growing up -- it only works in that one place?

It wasn't always this way. I've had no problem turning on games via YouTube TV from all over the place in the past. About a year ago I missed a flight in Atlanta, sat up all night in the terminal working, and finished it off at dawn with an episode of Breaking Bad. So this is definitely new.

Does anybody know if I am misunderstanding? Otherwise, YTV is useless to me and I will cancel my subscription. I buy it so I can use it on my computer, wherever me and and my computer are. Period.

Thank you...
IDK- we watch BTN at our place in Arizona all the time without issues. But maybe with the PAC12 dissolving, things are different, but would not see how that would affect Atlantic City.

Reactions: ManasquanMike
IDK- we watch BTN at our place in Arizona all the time without issues. But maybe with the PAC12 dissolving, things are different, but would not see how that would affect Atlantic City.
Wow, thanks. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. That's how it always for me until last night.

Thank you, Knight Shift...

Wow, thanks. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. That's how it always for me until last night.

Thank you, Knight Shift...
Do you get a pop up message on your screen along the lines of "Have you moved, or are you only here temporarily?" That is the message I get when we are in Arizona, and we say just visiting temporarily." The one annoying thing is that we do not get local ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and CW channels, but we can live without them.

Reactions: RUShea and dconifer
Do you get a pop up message on your screen along the lines of "Have you moved, or are you only here temporarily?" That is the message I get when we are in Arizona, and we say just visiting temporarily." The one annoying thing is that we do not get local ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and CW channels, but we can live without them.
It says

===============================
Outside Your Home Area.

Sorry, but you can't watch until you return to the Philadelphia area. But we'll keep adding recordings to your library so you can watch when you get home.

It's almost funny. I feel like somebody is punking me, ha ha...

It says

Outside Your Home Area.

Sorry, but you can't watch until you return to the Philadelphia area. But we'll keep adding recordings to your library so you can watch when you get home.

I'm thinking it's s gotta be to eliminate people sharing accounts. But that jips the true individual subscriber from enjoying their subscription fully.

Reactions: dconifer
It says

Outside Your Home Area.

Maybe a VPN will work. Not sure if YouTubeTV will allow it.

Some helpful tips here:

Last edited:
BTN is a national channel. I think there was some kind of glitch. The game should be viewable with YouTube TV anywhere in the U.S.
Ha ha, I can't even watch the shopping channel. I can't watch ANY channel.

I guess something is wrong with my installation...

It wasn't always this way. I've had no problem turning on games via YouTube TV from all over the place in the past. About a year ago I missed a flight in Atlanta, sat up all night in the terminal working, and finished it off at dawn with an episode of "Better Call Saul." So this is definitely new.

Thank you...

* edited to mention that it was "Better Call Saul", not "Breaking Bad", and it was actually two years ago...
KS is correct in my experience. We just moved and I got the message and updated my home address problem solved. It also doesn’t have an issue with our second home.

KS is correct in my experience. We just moved and I got the message and updated my home address problem solved. It also doesn’t have an issue with our second home.
Much appreciated to you, KS, Good Ol', and the rest. I will try this later, and maybe I can see a bit of the UConn game tomorrow...

Reactions: bethlehemfan
When’s the last time you logged into your account? If it’s been awhile then it might be looking for a login from your “home” area first before you can login into it from elsewhere.

If there’s anybody at home that can login to your account while you’re away then I think you might be able to get back into it from AC.

Reactions: dconifer
Okay, it works on my phone, but not on my laptop (which I would prefer). I am setting "Current Playback Location" to 08401 (AtlanticCity) on my phone, and that setting is supposed to dribble onto my laptop. I have no idea why the setting on the phone drives this, not the setting on the laptop. But I guess I'm old and obsolete.

Worst case is I'll have to watch on my phone screen, which I hate, but could be worse. Heck, we don't even know who the starting QB is going to be tomorrow...

Game on, it works! Thank you, friends...

Gonna be a lot of empty seats, though...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT