ADVERTISEMENT

Zappaa's article on NJ.com

That's a great article ! And any Yankee fan should Ron Guidry's book "Driving Mr Yogi"
about the very special relationship between Guidry and Yogi.

Zap- one question, did RU recruit your brother Tim to play football here?
If I remember,I believe that Tim Wound up at UMass.Of course Dale will know if We recruited him.

Timmy went from Bordentown Prep straight to U Mass, where he broke every receiving record before being drafted by the Colts.
Was not recruited by RU.
On a side note, Mark Tripucka ( Frank and Kelly) was his roommate
Speaking of Borden town Prep.I remember watching them play when they were Borden town Military Institute ,at RU, against our so called JV TEAM.Floyd Little was their RB. And that's what he did. Ran all over us,bow legs and all.Went to some college upstate NY after BMI.

Reactions: zappaa
Great story! Of course, most on this board know the story, with zap being such a great RU fan/poster for so long, but it's great to see it getting some nice publicity.

Reactions: Peteyd
Timmy went from Bordentown Prep straight to U Mass, where he broke every receiving record before being drafted by the Colts.
Was not recruited by RU.
My wife's from the Bordentown area I know exactly where this is. They really want kids to stay on campus and not stray too far. They have a select admissions standard.

Last edited:
Was not recruited by RU.

Zap

A few questions / comment.

Did you ever consider going to RU....or was it a forgone conclusion that if drafted in the first round you were MLB bound?

Is Berra & Rizuto's alleys still around? I went bowling with Moette Jr. the other day and averaged 152 with a house ball.

Last, I'm mad at you! You're around 60 and have DARK hair...I'm freakin 70 look like Fonzie playing Santa Claus and have had white hair for over 15 years! :sunglasses:

MO

In honor of Gregg (never met him)....posting some songs I wrote over the years...Start with "Connie Please" (most recent)....if you have some time
https://soundcloud.com/rutgersmo

Yes, I knew I was going high in the 1975 MLB draft.
I never considered college. Had my heart set on going straight to the minors at 18 years old.
Played my first MLB game in 1977...20 years old.

Yes, I knew I was going high in the 1975 MLB draft.
I never considered college. Had my heart set on going straight to the minors at 18 years old.
Played my first MLB game in 1977...20 years old.
You ended up getting an education that some can only dream of.

Last edited:
Good stuff Zap. Great job by NJ.Com with this article. Your support of RU is fantastic. As a Mets fan, I tend to think of you more as a Pirate than as a Yankee, and your dad more as a Met!

zappaa,

Did you make guest appearances at baseball camps in the Morristown area when you were in the bigs?

I remember Rick Sofield stopping in a few times and there were other players.
I think Richie Zisk

Really enjoyed the article. Love having Zappa as part of this community! Always insightful and honest. Thanks for sharing!! Thanks for all you do for RU Dale!!!

And if it has gone unnoticed Zap never comes here and brags about what he or the museum foundation does. They just do it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT