ADVERTISEMENT

2015 UWW Junior World Team Trials

Wow, I didn't know Bruce Baumgartner (from NJ's Manchester HS, '78) was AD. One of the all-time great American freestyle wrestlers. So, Edinboro must be well-resourced for being a smallish university, but they still manage to produce great NCAA wrestlers who usually aren't the elite, top-ranked scholastic athletes. Tim Flynn really coaches them up.

actually i think monetarily, Edinboro is still well below the big name schools. Flo did a great series on their program. they get tons of institutional support but their facilities are subpar and I don't even think they have a full compliment of scholarships. Credit goes to Big Bruce, Coach Flynn and all the previous coaches and admins that got the program to where it is.

I highly recommend the Flo series if anyone gets a chance to watch it. shows how a DII regional school can compete with the top programs. basically the AD back in the early 80's called Gable out of the blue and said, I want to differentiate my sports program and I want to do that with wrestling, please help. So Gable sent him an assistant coach to become the HC of Edinboro and allowed a couple back ups to transfer who were able to start and become AAs. things grew from there.

actually i think monetarily, Edinboro is still well below the big name schools. Flo did a great series on their program. they get tons of institutional support but their facilities are subpar and I don't even think they have a full compliment of scholarships. Credit goes to Big Bruce, Coach Flynn and all the previous coaches and admins that got the program to where it is.

I highly recommend the Flo series if anyone gets a chance to watch it. shows how a DII regional school can compete with the top programs. basically the AD back in the early 80's called Gable out of the blue and said, I want to differentiate my sports program and I want to do that with wrestling, please help. So Gable sent him an assistant coach to become the HC of Edinboro and allowed a couple back ups to transfer who were able to start and become AAs. things grew from there.
I have seen several of your posts on themat.com, often in defense of Rutgers. Are you watching the coverage of the European Games in Baku? I can't weight for the freestyle to start. Russia sent its top squad, which is unusual for European Championships, but this is a little different. I have the luxury of being able to read Russian, so I get a lot of my international info from wrestrus.ru.

hah, yes i've had to correct some midwestern prejudice every now and then on the mat forums.

pretty pumped for the Euro Games. draws for men's freestyle 57, 65, 74 and 97 are out. Here's 74 - the other weights are on the right of the page
http://www.baku2015.com/wrestling/event/men-freestyle-74kg/index.html

everyone is sending their A team as far as I can tell. 3 of the 4 World medalists at 97 are wrestling. 65 is stacked, with the Russian Bekbulatov (beat Metcalf this year) facing Olympic Gold Medalist Asgarov from Azerbaijain in the first round (round of 32). at 74 Russian rep Geduev has Belarussian and multiple time world medalist Shabanov in the first round.

should be some great matches. and it's streamed for free on youtube. only problem is it starts at 1am and goes until noon. Not quite ideal viewing hours.

hah, yes i've had to correct some midwestern prejudice every now and then on the mat forums.

pretty pumped for the Euro Games. draws for men's freestyle 57, 65, 74 and 97 are out. Here's 74 - the other weights are on the right of the page
http://www.baku2015.com/wrestling/event/men-freestyle-74kg/index.html

everyone is sending their A team as far as I can tell. 3 of the 4 World medalists at 97 are wrestling. 65 is stacked, with the Russian Bekbulatov (beat Metcalf this year) facing Olympic Gold Medalist Asgarov from Azerbaijain in the first round (round of 32). at 74 Russian rep Geduev has Belarussian and multiple time world medalist Shabanov in the first round.

should be some great matches. and it's streamed for free on youtube. only problem is it starts at 1am and goes until noon. Not quite ideal viewing hours.
Let's see if Asgarov has regained his form. Very impressive wrestler who seemed to have stepped away for a while, both in actual participation and in preparation when he did wrestle. Wonderful match it was, between Asgarov and the late Kudukhov in the 2012 60kg Olympic final. Hope to see if Sadulaev can replicate his steamrolling of his division again.

Ashnault vs. Vincenzo Joseph match for anyone interested. Main difference in the match being a 3 point swing where AA got taken down while Joseph was on the 30 second clock. I'd say AA looked rusty which is understandable considering his injury. Good match, though. PSU got a real good one in Joseph.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT