ADVERTISEMENT

Amy Towers Named to BOG

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
We R now really B1G. Congratulations Mrs. Towers!!
https://www.nj.com/education/2020/0...er-lands-powerful-role-at-the-university.html
Amy Towers, the wealthy philanthropist whose family has donated millions to Rutgers University athletics, is officially a member of the university’s Board of Governors.
Towers was confirmed Monday by the state Senate, putting her in a position to influence nearly every major decision made at the state university.

Can we get an Oh Boy from @MadRU ?

giphy.gif

https://www.nj.com/education/2020/0...er-lands-powerful-role-at-the-university.html
Amy Towers, the wealthy philanthropist whose family has donated millions to Rutgers University athletics, is officially a member of the university’s Board of Governors.
Towers was confirmed Monday by the state Senate, putting her in a position to influence nearly every major decision made at the state university.

giphy.gif
I think MadRU is having copyright issues. He is nowhere to be seen in the Ty Needham commitment.

giphy.gif

People at Rutgers throw tantrums about every conceivable nothing, yet it was just fine for a Rutgers prof to call her an idiot and a parasite. I am not a friend of the Towers, a neighbor or a third cousin, but I would have told them they can keep their opening after that kind of reaction. Hope she does many wonderful things for Rutgers academics and athletics for years to come. Thank you to Nebraska and Wisconsin for creating college sports fans years ago!

Reactions: Knight Shift
Very nice and I admire some of her human rights stances too; I suspect those will be controversial too.

Sounds like very good news but someone in the AD needs to explain to them the rules regarding contacting recruits so they don't inadvertently cause problems for our coaches.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Sounds like very good news but someone in the AD needs to explain to them the rules regarding contacting recruits so they don't inadvertently cause problems for our coaches.
There was some little thing a few years ago from her husband sending out a few teeets. I am sure they have heard about 100 times since. He didnt buy anyone a car or give their parents jobs and houses.

I think their was an article on N.J.com once about how they became fans of the program. Can’t remember when.

I remember the article and yes , we should ALL be grateful to the Towers Family. She explained why they support Rutgers and this “True Idiot “ professor , who has his own personal agenda regarding sports and where Rutgers spends OUR tax dollars looks really small time. Sorry professor you get paid way more than you are worth in today’s society.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
People at Rutgers throw tantrums about every conceivable nothing, yet it was just fine for a Rutgers prof to call her an idiot and a parasite.
Dr. Ebright got chastised by the court of public opinion pretty good for that one. Which is why he tried to quickly back peddled from his comment. But not a word from Rutgers Administration. And how quaint, David Hughes the professor every media outlet has on speed dial when they want a degrading remark about Rutgers. Surprised they didn't add a few Killingsworth quotes to complete the circle jerk.

Dr. Ebright got chastised by the court of public opinion pretty good for that one. Which is why he tried to quickly back peddled from his comment. But not a word from Rutgers Administration. And how quaint, David Hughes the professor every media outlet has on speed dial when they want a degrading remark about Rutgers. Surprised they didn't add a few Killingsworth quotes to complete the circle jerk.
Just by the article quoted above alone, the Towers have donated $6 million to the University. Money talks. And shouldn't the profs be happy that donors are donating such large sums to athletics? Or are they jealous?

Just by the article quoted above alone, the Towers have donated $6 million to the University. Money talks. And shouldn't the profs be happy that donors are donating such large sums to athletics? Or are they jealous?
No these fools think that the money donated especially big $$$$ donated from
people such as the Towers should go to professors as salary increaseS... hilariously these are people working only several days per week with few hours of actual classroom time ... Way overpaid for what their actual measured value is by educational standards.

They still may...

This is great news for the future of Rutgers University. Imagine that some Rutgers' employees are polishing their resumes. Big changes for the good are hopefully on the way.

Did she get nominated by the Governor? That would be helpful.. take one of those political nominations.

is there oversight for the BOG?

It is good to have wealthy donors on it but you also need to make sure the decisions made are in the best interests of the University and not their personal interests.

For example if the University makes a 8 figure purchase of Motorola products there needs to be assurance that Motorola offered the best deal.

is there oversight for the BOG?

It is good to have wealthy donors on it but you also need to make sure the decisions made are in the best interests of the University and not their personal interests.

For example if the University makes a 8 figure purchase of Motorola products there needs to be assurance that Motorola offered the best deal.
Rutgers is unique in that the Board of Trustees.. that manages all the assets inherited from the PRIVATE Rutgers University when it became the State U in the transition period 1946-1956. The Board of Governors is divided between a majority of members added by the New Jersey Governors and a minority of members added by the Board of Trustees.

Then you have the Office of the Controller (I have no idea why that isn't spelled comptroller)

But entrenched elements of the State government have persistently tried to make the Board of Trustees powerless. Thus to create a situation where the state can do whatever it wants with Rutgers budget. And if you recall the UMDNJ scandals you'll know what those forces are trying to do to Rutgers. (in my humble opinion, of course).

No these fools think that the money donated especially big $$$$ donated from
people such as the Towers should go to professors as salary increaseS... hilariously these are people working only several days per week with few hours of actual classroom time ... Way overpaid for what their actual measured value is by educational standards.

If you think professors only teach for a few hours and work "only several days a week", I'd enjoy introducing you to my wife who would most likely give you a swift kick in the bean bag.

If you think professors only teach for a few hours and work "only several days a week", I'd enjoy introducing you to my wife who would most likely give you a swift kick in the bean bag.
Not all but many...if you can’t or are unable to admit today will most use teachers assistants, proctors and the majority work only a few hours per day and less than 4 days per week. Now mind you , I didn’t claim all ...your Mrs. may be the exception to the rule.... if you are talking about during COVID... her hours are more directed on emails, papers or group zoom sessions... even on this site and my college days have been over since the mid 70’s profs spent most time working on themselves and their subject interests ...including travel or seminars.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="GoodOl'Rutgers, post: 4610045, member: 2532"

But entrenched elements of the State government have persistently tried to make the Board of Trustees powerless. Thus to create a situation where the state can do whatever it wants with Rutgers budget. And if you recall the UMDNJ scandals you'll know what those forces are trying to do to Rutgers. (in my humble opinion, of course).[/QUOTE]

We must never forget this!! We have to be diligent in making sure the State of NJ cronies don’t f with us.

[QUOTE="GoodOl'Rutgers, post: 4610045, member: 2532"

But entrenched elements of the State government have persistently tried to make the Board of Trustees powerless. Thus to create a situation where the state can do whatever it wants with Rutgers budget. And if you recall the UMDNJ scandals you'll know what those forces are trying to do to Rutgers. (in my humble opinion, of course).

We must never forget this!! We have to be diligent in making sure the State of NJ cronies don’t f with us.[/QUOTE]
You have a large constituency at Rutgers ... some donors... some educators for sure...some admins... and some connected politicians ...we even have those with additional ties to such institutions such as PSU ...they see these future monies as a personal piggy bank ...“ NJ eats it’s own” is I believe , the quote most apropos here ... The state has not only mishandled taxpayer’s money but they are guilty of borrowing against the money set aside for future pensions in the public sector...for some unknown reason this has been a dual party F up...but we’re the idiots... What do we actually receive for our excessive property ...payroll... gas ... exit from state...estate taxes...pension... I pretty much know that if I wish to leave which I won’t ...I can save quite a tidy sum...so taking away from Rutgers would not be unexpected nor something new .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT