ADVERTISEMENT

another idiot RU prof bringing shame to our University

Status
Not open for further replies.
The real solution to liberal arts prof's spouting self loathing statements about western society and culture would be to contract these programs at universities across the country. These areas have value studied in moderation but we are doing a great diservice to the paying students by allowing large numbers of students to major in current events. These departments need to be severely reduced and the money funneled to more valuable departments like math engineering science business.

We need poly sci majors but not hundreds of them. fewer of these people would mean less need to make outlandish stupid statements simply to attract attention.

Why is Donald Trump getting more air time than Marco Rubio?

Because the media priorities are:

1. Ratings (Trump off the charts)
2. A kindred political point of view or a chance to ridicule opposing points of view (Trump's the latter)

Far, far behind : Substance

Just in case anyone here cares about the real story, here it is: https://www.insidehighered.com/news...social-media-have-been-unfairly-characterized

From inside higher ed:

As a scholar of media studies, Deepa Kumar knew her tweet comparing the U.S. wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to the Islamic State (ISIS) was provocative. But the tweet, posted in March, didn’t stir up much controversy until recently, when it resurfaced on far-right blogs and on Fox News. Now Kumar, an associate professor at Rutgers University, is being flooded with hate mail and even violent threats. And unlike several others scholars who’ve been slammed in recent media reports for their controversial tweets, Kumar is speaking out against coverage she says is unfair.

“This is not the only case of a professor being targeted by Fox News and by the right -- in fact, there’s a long history here of trying to silence and intimidate faculty who have dissenting opinions on the U.S. government and policies in the Middle East,” Kumar said in an interview. “The only way to push back and defend myself is to be public about it.”

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the post attracted some criticism from other social media users at the time. But it hardly made waves until Monday, when Fox News ran a segment on Kumar’s tweet. Several commentators criticized her rhetoric and questioned whether she should be teaching at a publicly funded university. The general consensus of the discussion was that Kumar's comments were objectionable but protected speech.

But Kumar said the segment veered into a “smear campaign” when commentators erroneously asserted that Rutgers had revoked former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice’s 2014 invitation to deliver the commencement address amid intense criticism from faculty members, including Kumar. In fact, Rice backed out of her own accord -- although, of course, under intense pressure. Fox commentators suggested that Kumar was a hypocrite for exercising her own free, controversial speech while attempting to stifle Rice’s. As proof, they referenced a 2014 tweet by Kumar saying “we won” in response to Rice’s withdrawal.

Kumar called the characterization of her participation in the campaign against Rice’s appearance inaccurate. She reiterated that Rutgers did not pull the plug on Rice, and said that she and other concerned faculty members didn’t want to block the George W. Bush-era secretary of state from coming to campus altogether. Rather, Kumar said they wanted to engage Rice in a more dialogue-based format than a commencement speech.

“They distorted a bunch of things about what I’ve said and done,” Kumar said of the commentators. “I had no objection to [Rice] coming as a guest speaker, but commencement speeches are not a venue for debate.”

Within hours of the segment, Kumar started to receive hate mail -- some of it forwarded to colleagues and administrators, as well. One email sent to dozens of Rutgers peers, for example, includes a number of racist and sexist slurs, and suggests that Kumar leave the country for Syria and endure “vaginal mutilation.”

As to why her tweet is coming to light now, Kumar said she was involved in a June conference for critical terrorism studies scholars that attracted lots of negative attention in the blogosphere. A slide from Kumar’s presentation, which she said was taken out of context, has been circulating since. And earlier this month, the far-right college life websiteSoCawlege published a piece on Kumar and her Twitter history.

If the story sounds somewhat familiar, it is. In May, for example, SoCawlege published months-old tweets about raceby Saida Grundy, an assistant professor of sociology and African-American studies at Boston University. Fox News ran a story about Grundy's tweets, leading to a similar controversy. And earlier this month, the University of Memphis announced that Zandria Robinson -- the assistant professor of sociology whose tweets about race were compiled by another set of conservative blogs -- was no longer employed there. (She left after she was hired by Rhodes College.)

Grundy and Robinson have stayed relatively quiet about their cases. But Kumar, who has tenure, intends to keep speaking out. She said she welcomes debate and engagement on the issues raised in her original post, but not intimidation.

No offense, but can you read? I was establishing that her tweet was related to her research. Keep up.

I read quite well. And I know what you were doing - I was simply asking for your opinion.

If you have no opinion, then say so.

And since you're new here, I will suggest that condescending to people like @ruhudsonfan and myself will absolutely not get you anything close to the result you seek.

This Kumar broad seems like an attention whore. I'm going to stop giving it to her.

In case anyone cares about what I think, I agree with most people without any agendas in that "The general consensus of the discussion was that Kumar's comments were objectionable but protected speech."

So, no I don't agree with what she said, but I don't see what difference that would make. Professors are allowed to say whatever they want. That is the whole point, you don't have to agree with it however..

This is the United States of America, we are not Russia or China, we have Freedom of Speech here.

Reactions: MADHAT1
I try so hard to avoid crap that is spewed on twitter. I hate when it other people have to bring it up in venues that I actually enjoy reading.

The real solution to liberal arts prof's spouting self loathing statements about western society and culture would be to contract these programs at universities across the country. These areas have value studied in moderation but we are doing a great diservice to the paying students by allowing large numbers of students to major in current events. These departments need to be severely reduced and the money funneled to more valuable departments like math engineering science business.

We need poly sci majors but not hundreds of them. fewer of these people would mean less need to make outlandish stupid statements simply to attract attention.

Yes, the world needs more business majors. Brilliant.

I read quite well. And I know what you were doing - I was simply asking for your opinion.

If you have no opinion, then say so.

And since you're new here, I will suggest that condescending to people like @ruhudsonfan and myself will absolutely not get you anything close to the result you seek.

If you knew the point I was making, then your question and your objection to my response make zero sense. At best, the former was a total non sequitur, at worst the two together show you just weren't following very well. Sorry for pointing that out.

I try so hard to avoid crap that is spewed on twitter. I hate when it other people have to bring it up in venues that I actually enjoy reading.
+1 no need to give this dumb bitch 3 pages worth of back and forth. Even if you are stupid enough to agree or defend her. Football can't get here quick enough.

I am done donating to Rutgers. The incompetence of the administration knows no bounds. Money speaks louder than words. My son, a rising senior could easily get in and loves the football and lacrosse games- was planning to apply out of respect for me and who knows may have gone, but i will tell him not to bother. I do not want him exposed to sick twisted individuals such as Kumar.

I stopped years ago. I only donate to the FB team.

I think Obama actually hates America . Only president in my lifetime that I've heard speak where that is evident . Even the guy Obama is tied for as worse president , jimmy carter, was all America compared to this guy.

Agree on the hate. And this guy has far outpaced Carter as worst President.

In case anyone cares about what I think, I agree with most people without any agendas in that "The general consensus of the discussion was that Kumar's comments were objectionable but protected speech."

So, no I don't agree with what she said, but I don't see what difference that would make. Professors are allowed to say whatever they want. That is the whole point, you don't have to agree with it however..

This is the United States of America, we are not Russia or China, we have Freedom of Speech here.

Really? Try being polically incorrect. Call Bruce Jenner, Bruce, in the wrong company. Speak out supporting the traditional definition of Marriage.

Freedom of speech?

So called academia. The last place left on earth where you can say utterly ridiculous untruths (as long as it is liberal) and not be punished in the least.

Sad state of affairs, especially at public schools.

For the most part overcredentialed useful idiots.

Universities are places for the free expression of ideas. If you read her tweet, what she said is not outrageous. For the record, I would have wanted Condi Rice to speak too. If you stifle a university's environment of intellectual freedom, you kill it.

LOL. Any ideas? Or approved ideas? I think you need to stop microaggressing your students and break out of your hetero cage. Free expression of ideas my ass.

Yes, the world needs more business majors. Brilliant.

Based on your struggles to scrape together $10 bucks a month in discretionary funds, maybe business is the better option. Of course, then you wouldn't be able to spew nonsense on Twitter. Just sayin.

Sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about here. I will grant you that liberals would criticize the professor, but NO union member would ever support tenure charges filed by the administration against another union member for speaking his or her mind, within the usual bounds of common sense (threats of violence, etc.)

I am an officer in such a union and I can tell you it would never happen.

The rest of the post I have no probem with, but the tenure charges would be fought tooth and nail by the union.

The perfect storm. Overcredentialed, leftist professor who is a union officer. Say hi to Stalin for me!

Reactions: devoted2ru
Right off the right wingers are off the bat with their favorite tripe on this board- that Condi was forced out. How can anyone even think your positions reasonable when you start with a lie?

For all the "I won't donate to RU because I'm a right wing lunatic" good luck finding any p5 school that has a roster of professors campaigning for Trump with Faux News on in the background in the faculty lounge. Go root for Liberty where students were required to attend Ted Cruz giving a speech about freedom. Anyone who doesn't donate to their alma mater for political reasons is without exception, a complete and utter moron. You were 18, you knew what RU was. It was always liberal, and all of us alums are "takers" who took a government subsidized....aka socialized...degree courtesy of the NJ taxpayers. You were free to pick yourself by your bootstraps and go to Oral Roberts. You didn't. Your bad.

It is funny to me also that the same people complaining about this professor defended Trump saying Mexicans were rapists and criticized those who cut ties with him, while demanding RU fire this professor...so it's PC culture run amok for him but her opinion is fireable?

They both have the right just like everyone has the right to criticize ties with them, what no public employer can do for anyone actually concerned with the law, which is as only sometimes concern of the tin foil hat crowd, is fire someone for speaking out about a public concern as is the case here and would be if Trump was employed. At the same time if a veteran in her class or a Mexican in a theoretical Trump class found such an environment to be hostile they might have a case.

That has nothing to do with Barchi or donations, so just admit you're cheap and save the histrionics.

You sound sober. That's a change. Wrong but sober.

Funny, your inability to make the slightest worthwhIle contribution to this discussion suggests you could benefit from a thorough grounding in the humanities. For starters, your reading comprehension and critical thinking might improve. You'd also learn how to argue about complex issues without shit*ing your pants again and again.

Based on your struggles to scrape together $10 bucks a month in discretionary funds, maybe business is the better option. Of course, then you wouldn't be able to spew nonsense on Twitter. Just sayin.

Being able to speak out has been attacked by Communists and Fascists alike.
When either becomes the power , personal freedoms are curtailed and freedom of speak is not on their agenda.
If someone says something they don't like, they want that person punished as an enemy of the State.

Ok folks. I'm taking my son to the Ramsey pool. Have fun turning the gears of your conservative outrage machine for another six pages.

Ok folks. I'm taking my son to the Ramsey pool. Have fun turning the gears of your conservative outrage machine for another six pages.

I don't really feel the need to agree or disagree with you here, but just want to point out that you (by a quick count) have posted 38 times in this thread. That's almost responsible for one page of it alone. I'm not sure you're in the position to poke fun and assign blame regarding the length of this thread.

Reactions: LevaosLectures

See, now if you had a real job you could afford your own pool.

I've always believed that on some level the rage of liberal academia is grounded in a sense of inadequacy.

See, now if you had a real job you could afford your own pool.

I've always believed that on some level the rage of liberal academia is grounded in a sense of inadequacy.

Everyone knows you really got your face smeared in an argument when you resort to copying insults from a nitwit like Cali.

Citing RateMyProfessor? Lol some intellectual titans in this thread.

Ha! As a communications professor, she should be the first one to say that perception is reality and those students took the time to complain about her on social media. Perhaps she is too concerned about furthering her marxist ideology to care what her students think.

But she really speaks for herself, doesn't she? The words she has chosen.. as a Phd in communications should matter and this whole thread is about that. .. what she COMMUNICATED via a tweet. In her own recent response to the criticisms she says she was just being controversial.. which one would think a communications expert would use to spur conversation.. but in her classes she seems to avoid being challenged on any controversial subjects she presents.

Perfect anti-American Marxist blowhard. She shouldn't be honored with teaching young minds.

Just in case anyone here cares about the real story, here it is: https://www.insidehighered.com/news...social-media-have-been-unfairly-characterized

LOL.of course it didn't come to light until FOX reported it. What other left supporting media source was going to?

And yeah Rice backed out for the good of the day or maybe she just didn't want to deal...but to say it "wasn't my fault" or "I didn't make her"...LOL..OK

The push back on her is GREAT...the threats or comments noted in the story above are not right (to do) either.

I like how you can't argue. Seriously though. Isn't the US more barbaric than ISIS because of our abortions?

You are confusing the issues. She didn't reference private citizens killing babies. She did reference some unsubstantiated number of people killed in war.

You aren't very good at this gotcha stuff are you? I'll throw you a bone though. Those killing babies are pretty barbaric.

Everyone knows you really got your face smeared in an argument when you resort to copying insults from a nitwit like Cali.

That doesn't even make sense. For one thing, I fail to see any "argument". I asked the guy a simple question and he went into a fit of obfuscation and insult as a way of refusing to answer.

For another, I think the belief that career academics with no real-world experience - who, in fact, resort to belittling those with real-world experience - are in some way inadequate is more widespread than you might care to admit.

Glad to see you put family time as a priority and take time out to take your son to the Ramsey pool and the activities it has there.
From Ramsey pool website:
>We have it all from diving boards, waterpark-style slides, lap lanes, water spraying features, in-pool seating and shade, zero-entry access, and not to mention a heater! We offer swim and diving lessons (group and private) and have a swim team, The Ramsey Rays, for anyone ages 5 to 17.

Want to have fun without getting wet? We have beach volleyball, basketball court, full soccer field, playground, Ping-Pong, and even tennis courts across the street. We have a snack stand which offers everything from the classic burger and fries to wraps and smoothies. If BBQing is your thing, use any of the grills in the back pavilion. No reservation or fee required.<

Sounds like it is a great place to go, even if you have your own pool, because of all the things your son can do there

Really? Try being polically incorrect. Call Bruce Jenner, Bruce, in the wrong company. Speak out supporting the traditional definition of Marriage.

Freedom of speech?

You can be as politically Incorrect as you want to be, I will stand up to that as well. I REALLY can't stand the PC police, it has gotten horrific as of late.

I stand for all freedom of speech, I can't agree with everyone but I will stand up for their right to speak their mind, even if it makes them look like a complete idiot. That's on them.

Last edited:
You are confusing the issues. She didn't reference private citizens killing babies. She did reference some unsubstantiated number of people killed in war.

You aren't very good at this gotcha stuff are you? I'll throw you a bone though. Those killing babies are pretty barbaric.
She is saying that the US is brutal because of the number killed. You are arguing against the number killed in war but because you count lives that I wouldn't you would actually come to a number far greater than 1.3 million. The US in totality in your eyes is far more brutal than she claims.

She is saying that the US is brutal because of the number killed. You are arguing against the number killed in war but because you count lives that I wouldn't you would actually come to a number far greater than 1.3 million. The US in totality in your eyes is far more brutal than she claims.

What's the point of introducing an obvious strawman into the discussion? Seriously. I want to know. Because in light of your previous post suggesting that I was losing some ostensible argument, you're making yourself look like a total moron.

She specifically mentions Iraq and Afghanistan. Unless it is your contention that Planned Parenthood is doing the dirty there, your little game of gotcha is completely deflated on its face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT