ADVERTISEMENT

Another solid HS recruit who doesn't understand the difficulties of making it on the field in D1

MikeRU1766

Junior
Mar 7, 2015
Frank Epitropoulos was the #71 best WR in the country in 2012. He came out of Ohio and was ranked a 3-star recruit and a 78 by ESPN. He has the opportunity many kids dream of which is to go and play big D1 football in front of thousands of rowdy fans cheering for you and loving you for 4 or 5 years. But then he makes his fatal mistake. He commits to Ohio State.

Why was this a mistake? Well obviously it depends on what you think is important, BUT in my mind what is important is actually getting onto the field and getting your opportunity to show your stuff. This is important because there are countless stories of 1, 2, and 3-star recruits out of HS coming into college and the NFL and showing they are actually very productive....but the KEY is you have to be able to get your chance to actually show your stuff on the field. Frank didn't realize that by choosing OSU he is going against 5 star recruits who are ahead of you in class, then more that are in your class, and then even more that will be in the next class. So while he could have chosen a different school to attend where he would have been one of the top recruits at the position...he chose a school where he was probably one of the lowest to middle of the pack recruits at the WR position.

And it showed. The poor kid who you know put YEARS of dedicated training and sacrificed time hanging out with friends and parties and hobbies, etc. for football went to Ohio State and redshirted and then was one the team 2 more years. So in those 3 years at Ohio State what does he have to show for it? He had 1 reception for 6 yards!

And he now has decided to quit the sport and focus on academics so he can go to med school. Which I believe he will have to pay for now that he is no longer on the team. Sad story as he could have went somewhere and have racked up a good career, had fans know his name for the rest of his life, saved him and his family tons of money by playing football AND also going to medical school, and he would have given himself the chance to MAYBE make the NFL because he at least had the opportunity to prove his stuff against D1 competition.

Hopefully kids hear these types of stories and don't get sucked in by names and brands and instead go places that truly give them the best chance for their future.

Got an education which laid the foundation for med school, and got to be involved with a D1 football program which likely provides him with great memories and experiences. Doesn't seem so bad. Sounds like he made his situation work to his advantage as best he could.

Going to med school is a sad ending? Sign me up

Going to med school with close to 0 debt being that he was on scholarship. He's very lucky.

OP's point is true that some kids would benefit from going to other schools than big time programs.

However this person isn't the best example being that he has both athletic ability and the brains to go along with it.

Op you sound like an idiot

Yeah what a horrible decision, the foundation for med school paid for by a great university. He could've gone to Toledo or some other small school and not become an nfl player just the same. If the kid becomes a doctor then it's a success story, nobody gives a shit how many catches he has

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Ohio kids grow up dreaming of playing for OSU. You get an offer you don't turn that down. Great players (or those that want to be great) don't shy away from competition.

Probably a hero to the Ohio State football coaching staff. Frees up another scholarship.

If he had the talent for the NFL he would have played at Ohio State. You develop as a player in practice and not just games. Also an argument can be made you will develop better and faster by going against top competition in practice everyday instead of having it handed to you at another school.

Last edited:
Stupid thread. Players don't think the way you do OP. Any player worth a damn thinks they are the best and are not afraid of competition.

Everyone realizes be left the football team in August of 2014 right? That he hasn't been with the team in almost a year? Okay...just so we're all on the same page.

Hopefully kids hear these types of stories and don't get sucked in by names and brands and instead go places that truly give them the best chance for their future.

There's kids at every program that will never see the field.

How was he sucked in and not given the best chance for a future?

He comes from a family with a medical background and becoming a doctor is very important to him. It's very tough to do both premed and football during junior/senior years.

Since the OP knows Frank Epitropoulos so well, I'm surprised that he didn't mention that Frank's father was a 3 year letterman on OSU's football team. That he grew up within 5 miles of the stadium. Or that both his parents are Opthalmic surgeons and Frank's sister is currently in Dental School at OSU.

I think Frank is perfectly fine with the choices he has made in life including his time as an OSU football player.

Nice try though. Keep trying.

Reactions: Nosoj and MoobyCow
And as long as we're talking about 3 Star athletes competing against 4-5 Star athletes at Ohio State. How about that 3 Star athlete who played QB at a local high school. Meyer didn't even want him. Didn't know where to play him. It was Luke Fickell who taked Meyer into offering him a schoalrship.

His name is Derron Lee. Started at linebacker this year as a red-shirt freshman. He's a future, acutally cancel that. He's a current star on the football team who beat out several 4-5 Star guys for his spot.

As I've said in other threads. Nothing is guaranteed for anyone regardless of Star Ranking. If a player wants to compete he will get the opportunity. If he doesn't, then yes, he should go elsewhere.

Reactions: OSU2015 and Nosoj
The kid gets to live with the fact he gave his all to play for Ohio state. No regrets. Was on their roster for 3yrs. Paid for mind you. Now off to medical school.

The kid WON you nit wit.

The kid gets to live with the fact he gave his all to play for Ohio state. No regrets. Was on their roster for 3yrs. Paid for mind you. Now off to medical school.

The kid WON you nit wit.

Why does everyone make this point when someone makes a thread like that? You guys are fools. The kid could have went to medical school AT ANY COLLEGE! Hence, the point of the article is focused on the football aspect where he could have played football AND went to medical school. Instead he put years and years of work and sacrifice and has no stats to show for it... he should have went to a school where he could have had a better shot to make the field.

Oh and if he had gone to a school where he wouldn't be competing with 5 star recruits, he would possibly still be on the team and would have got his entire undergraduate degree paid for rather than just 3 years of it. And also, he could have transferred and played his 5th year somewhere and got some of his medical school paid for as well.

And when I say sad story.... I am obviously talking about the football side of things you dopes.

Reactions: Ruthinking
So the one option he had to pay 15-20k for his last year of undergraduate degree. He obtained practically 0 football stats even though he sacrificed 3 years to play the sport. Also, he never had the opportunity to prove himself and possibly become an NFL player. And by not getting any playing time he probably would have had no chance to transfer and play a 5th year and get his first year of medical school which would have saved him another 20K or maybe even more.

The other option would have been to go to a university that has even better academics than Ohio State (hmmm maybe Rutgers aka #33 in the WORLD) and had a much better chance to get on the field. He could have racked up a decent career and have been able to be a mini celebrity on campus for 4 years and would have been able to go the rest of his life being recognized occasionally as being a Rutgers football player. He also would have saved himself 20K by getting his ENTIRE undergraduate degree paid for. And oh of course there the opportunity to prove himself of the field and maybe make the NFL.

But of course we will never know because he went to Ohio State.

I hope you guys now understand what I was saying.

Reactions: Ruthinking
Mike, you assume the following with your post:

1.) He would get on the field at Rutgers. (Maybe he wouldn't have.)
2.) Rutgers is the best academic/football combination in the country (hello, Stanford and others)?
3.) He didn't have a great time at Ohio State. (God knows I'd love playing football and going to school at any B1G school just for starters.)

I could go on. People understand what you're trying to say; they just think you're not necessarily right in your thoughts.

I love how on this thread is you post anything that involves a tiny bit of thought.. you end up confusing a certain % of the posters on this board haha. I am sorry I will start making posts that are way less interesting and involve no thought.

Here are a few I am thinking of.....

"Rutgers football good!"

"Rutgers need more better recruits!

"Football is FUN!"

"Flood sucks" (Even though he doesn't everyone is entitled to their opinions)

Mike, you assume the following with your post:

1.) He would get on the field at Rutgers. (Maybe he wouldn't have.)
2.) Rutgers is the best academic/football combination in the country (hello, Stanford and others)?
3.) He didn't have a great time at Ohio State. (God knows I'd love playing football and going to school at any B1G school just for starters.)

I could go on. People understand what you're trying to say; they just think you're not necessarily right in your thoughts.

1. I didn't say Rutgers was the best academic/football combo in the nation at all. So I am not sure where that point came from.

2. I said eh should have went somewhere where he would have had a better chance to get on the field. Obviously, at Rutgers we have 2, 3, and the occasional 4 star WR recruit that he would have competed against. Ohio State has 4 and 5 star WRs almost every year. Hence why I was saying he would have had a better chance of getting on the field at Rutgers. I never said he would 100% make it on the field.

3. I am not saying he didn't have fun at Ohio State. But come on, you have fun no matter what college you go to. Either way this point is yet again mute because I am just talking about his opportunity to get on the football field.

I love how on this thread is you post anything that involves a tiny bit of thought.. you end up confusing a certain % of the posters on this board haha. I am sorry I will start making posts that are way less interesting and involve no thought.

Here are a few I am thinking of.....

"Rutgers football good!"

"Rutgers need more better recruits!

"Football is FUN!"

"Flood sucks" (Even though he doesn't everyone is entitled to their opinions)

Actually the OP didnt include much thought. You took an individual's circumstances of which you have no diect knowledge, drew,a conclusion and then related it to why recruits should consider this example when deciding where to go in the future. Yeh maybe simple would be better. "should have gone, not "should have went" also

Is this a joke? Kid got to be on one the most elite team in CFB. I guess within 3yrs he figured out his chance at the NFL wasn't going to pan out. Better that he found out earlier rather than later so he could change gears and go to MED SCHOOL!!!

Even if the kid went to a different school there are no guarantees either...

Of course I am making some assumptions, there are a million variables when it comes to scenarios like this. But again people are missing the whole point. THE WHOLE POINT was IF he wanted more football playing time (I say "if" because this is an assumption that the player wants more playing time......LOL) guys like this who are good players, but only 3 star recruits should look to schools more on his level rather than a place like OSU. He would have had a much better chance to get more playing time and rack up more stats.

Is this a joke? Kid got to be on one the most elite team in CFB. I guess within 3yrs he figured out his chance at the NFL wasn't going to pan out. Better that he found out earlier rather than later so he could change gears and go to MED SCHOOL!!!

Even if the kid went to a different school there are no guarantees either...

Is this a joke? Why aren't you understanding the comparison I am doing here. Of course going to med school is great. But if he had attended a school where he had a better chance for playing time, he could have had a better chance to rack up stats, saved more money, AND STILL ATTENDED MED SCHOOL.

The point I am making is it is sad that he could have done so much better. Obviously he is still doing great by going to med school. But he could have done so much more just by attending almost any other school besides the Ohio State and Alabama of the world.

Mike, we have several recruits every year who never see the field at Rutgers. Should they have gone to Monmouth? We thank them for their effort, and hope they had a good four years and earn a degree. Same happens at every school at every level.

I think the reason why you are getting so many dissenting posters isn't that they are confused because your post "involves a little bit of thought". Rather you just give poor support for your argument.

First you make several unsubstantiated assumptions:
1. He made a "fatal" mistake.
2. He didn't realize that he would be going up against 4 and 5 Star prospects at OSU.
3. His ultimate goal was to get into the NFL.
4. That he would have started and starred somewhere else.
5. That he would have save his family tons of money by going elsewhere, or that it was even an issue for him.

By the way, you can't play football and go to Medical School at the same time. And OSU players who haven't started as a Buckeye have still been drafted. Only at a handful of schools, all of which would have a large number of 4-5 Star players, would be able to say that.

The point I am making is it is sad that he could have done so much better. Obviously he is still doing great by going to med school. But he could have done so much more just by attending almost any other school besides the Ohio State and Alabama of the world.

Based on your logic Michael Burton who was drafted today should not have gone to Rutgers as a walk-on, as the likelihood of playing was not high, due to the fact that a scouting service did not give him enough stars, and RU didnt even offer a scholarship. The number of stars does not matter. There were an exact equal number of 2/3 stars and 4/5 star players drafted in rd 1. Maybe he thought he should have been a 4star and OSU also thought so, again alot of assumptions on your part.

Last edited:
1. I didn't say Rutgers was the best academic/football combo in the nation at all. So I am not sure where that point came from.

2. I said eh should have went somewhere where he would have had a better chance to get on the field. Obviously, at Rutgers we have 2, 3, and the occasional 4 star WR recruit that he would have competed against. Ohio State has 4 and 5 star WRs almost every year. Hence why I was saying he would have had a better chance of getting on the field at Rutgers. I never said he would 100% make it on the field.

3. I am not saying he didn't have fun at Ohio State. But come on, you have fun no matter what college you go to. Either way this point is yet again mute because I am just talking about his opportunity to get on the football field.

Devin Smith and Evan Spencer were both 3 star recruits. Both saw signficant action at Ohio State. Both were taken in this year's NFL draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: heygents
I wouldn't be surprised if the OSU FB coaching staff and School set up Frank Epitropoulos to get the best financial aid package he could get.
Also they might find a Graduate School loan forgiveness program he can enter at OSU's Medical School or a Loan repayment program that if you
agree to work in an undeserved area or a clinical research in a needed area for a certain length of time , you student loasn to pay for Medical School is significantly reduced.
OSU also might find a way to put Epitropoulos on a partial scholarship.
But in any case, I'm sure the Buckeyes will try to help him find ways to keep the cost of going to Medical School as low as possible.

I think the kid made a smart decision now and also when he chose where he wanted to go to play FB, knowing playing time might be hard to get, but would be a Buckeye FB player all his life.
Winners might not win starting positions, but they are not afraid to compete, with those considered, better for that position.
I wish Frank Epitropoulos well .

By the way, the people who keep talking about him saving money seem to be missing the point that his parents are both surgeons, so I doubt money is an issue in his family.

Why does everyone make this point when someone makes a thread like that? You guys are fools. The kid could have went to medical school AT ANY COLLEGE! Hence, the point of the article is focused on the football aspect where he could have played football AND went to medical school. Instead he put years and years of work and sacrifice and has no stats to show for it... he should have went to a school where he could have had a better shot to make the field.

Oh and if he had gone to a school where he wouldn't be competing with 5 star recruits, he would possibly still be on the team and would have got his entire undergraduate degree paid for rather than just 3 years of it. And also, he could have transferred and played his 5th year somewhere and got some of his medical school paid for as well.

And when I say sad story.... I am obviously talking about the football side of things you dopes.
I would would have done anything to have been on a Div 1 roster. Spending time in those facilities, stadiums, the life style. Playing or not. Riding the pine but being apart of it would have been an experience of a lifetime.

The made the right decision for him

I guess these guys shouldn't have gone to Ohio State either, since they were all 3-star recruits who could have made a bigger impact somewhere else without all those pesky 4 and 5-star guys ahead of them:

Darron Lee
Tyvis Powell
Devin Smith
Evan Spencer
Jonathan Hankins
Bradley Roby
John Simon
Brian Hartline
Brian Robiskie
Malcom Jenkins
James Laurinaitis
AJ Hawk
Santonio Holmes

Just a quick glace of starters and/or those who were also drafted off the top of my head.

This specific example is terrible.
-The guy's dad played for OSU
-OSU is a good school academically (mid fifties I beleive)
-I'm pretty sure they won the first even National Championship playoff

Now, if you were to bring up an example of a three star recruit who turned down Northwestern to sit on the bench at Florida State, you might have a better case.

images

I guess these guys shouldn't have gone to Ohio State either, since they were all 3-star recruits who could have made a bigger impact somewhere else without all those pesky 4 and 5-star guys ahead of them:

Darron Lee
Tyvis Powell
Devin Smith
Evan Spencer
Jonathan Hankins
Bradley Roby
John Simon
Brian Hartline
Brian Robiskie
Malcom Jenkins
James Laurinaitis
AJ Hawk
Santonio Holmes

Just a quick glace of starters and/or those who were also drafted off the top of my head.
Pretty sure Cardale Jones was also a 3*.

OP, I hate to say this, but all this thread is is troll bait.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT