ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone here feel a connection with Towns?

Mr_Twister

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2004
Anyone from NJ feel any kind of connection with Piscataway native Karl-Anthony Towns? None here -- a split-second thinking another fink. Wonder what former Rutgers football player Anthony Davis thinks of Towns' defection to represent Kentucky rather than NJ?

Davis on NJ recruits leaving state

To be perfectly honest, I feel that way when an NJ football player doesn't stay home, since we have everything he could want compared to any other school, but in basketball its a much tougher argument. I would have loved to see him in Scarlet, but he 100% made the right decision for himself and I can't really blame him for going to Kentucky. He seemed to give us a fair shake and I've heard good things about him. Probably not a popular opinion, but I've been rooting for him as a Jersey guy.

Well, my nephew guarded him in a somerset county tournament game last year and did a much better job of guarding him that ND did. Ha, Ha. The truth is the kid is going to be a monster. Right now, one on one in the blocks there was nobody I saw throughout the tournament that could cover him.

As hard as it is to say, he made the right choice for himself. Maybe at some point a guy like him will become a pied piper in NJ and go to Rutgers. Until that happens, we will have to build a team with good players, who want to be here, who are tough, and want to develop.

You can't compare ky and Rutgers bb, but the truth is, had he been on this years team and we had a solid point guard, you are looking at 20 win plus team and probably dancing. He just did not want to be "the guy" he wanted to compete for a championship, so I can't fault him. No matter where he went to school, though, he was going to be a pro. One guy could turn this program around if he is that good, but as we know, right now, we are not going to attract a player like that.

What I don't get is that in Football, we can compete, our players get high APR rankings every year, and we have decent facilities, and we are arguably in the Best football conference in america, definitely top 2. So why can't we attract more NJ blue chippers? Hoping that Gary, Guarantano start a new trend.

But to answer your question, no, I don't really feel much of a connection to Towns.

I wish nothing but the best for Towns. I attended Piscataway High School with his father, who was a couple years older than me. Towns Sr. had an awesome senior season. After graduating from PHS in 1980, he went to Mercer C.C.C. and then landed at Monmouth, where he was among the nation's leading rebounders. He was 6-5 but had the arms of a 7-footer. His reach was astounding.

The Towns family attended the same parish (Our Lady of Fatima) as me when Towns Jr. was in middle school. I can remember him towering over everyone else in the pews when he was barely a teenager. He was 6-10 before his freshman year in high school.

He's a high-quality young man from a good family. You can't help but root for him. Unfortunately, at this point in time, Rutgers is simply not a candidate for someone as talented as him. Until the Rutgers administration proves it wants its men's basketball program to succeed, RU will not have success recruiting players of Towns' ilk.

This post was edited on 3/30 1:56 PM by PiscatawayMike

Originally posted by PiscatawayMike:
I wish nothing but the best for Towns. I attended Piscataway High School with his father, who was a couple years older than me. Towns Sr. had an awesome senior season. After graduating from PHS in 1980, he went to Mercer C.C.C. and then landed at Monmouth, where he was among the nation's leading rebounders. He was 6-5 but had the arms of a 7-footer. His reach was astounding.

The Towns family attended the same parish (Our Lady of Fatima) as me when Towns Jr. was in middle school. I can remember him towering over everyone else in the pews when he was barely a teenager. He was 6-10 before his freshman year in high school.

He's a high-quality young man from a good family. You can't help but root for him. Unfortunately, at this point in time, Rutgers is simply not a candidate for someone as talented as him. Until the Rutgers administration proves it wants its men's basketball program to succeed, RU will not have success recruiting players of Towns' ilk.

This post was edited on 3/30 1:56 PM by PiscatawayMike
Karl got a shout out at the Fatima CYO awards luncheon a couple weekends ago.

Good points. Yet Valvano got Jeff Ruland to go to Iona when Kentucky and about 40 other teams wanted him. Need to get that one Jersey stud to stay home.

As a one and done at Kentucky, he got to play for a National championship, played with a
great team of players, and a great coach who prepared him for the pros. Why would he go to Rutgers? Let's get real and give him a fair shake. Rutgers was not a good choice for him, considering everything.

Originally posted by NickKnight 1:

As a one and done at Kentucky, he got to play for a National championship, played with a
great team of players, and a great coach who prepared him for the pros. Why would he go to Rutgers? Let's get real and give him a fair shake. Rutgers was not a good choice for him, considering everything.
He is an NBA player no matter where he goes to college.
It's too bad the family didn't move to Kentucky years ago.
If he came to Rutgers, the roster might look a little different.

Originally posted by Mr_Twister:

Originally posted by NickKnight 1:

He is an NBA player no matter where he goes to college.
It's too bad the family didn't move to Kentucky years ago.
If he came to Rutgers, the roster might look a little different.
I don't think the roster would have changed, because I don't believe a one and done will attract better
recruits for rutgers.

RU actually needs kids to come here who will play for more than one year at this point. And since as we know most of these kids never attend a single college class I don't think that's what we're about. Now you may say that's a loser's mentality. But I think we want to be bringing in high level student athletes who are committed to staying in college for a while...

towns could have gone to any school and be a lottery pick in nba! if he had stayed home and went to rutgers, he'd be a local legend for years to come. and if a kid like him came to rutgers, our roster would absolutely look different!

You must be joking - our program is in shambles on several different levels and we should feel shunned that a stud chose to go somewhere else? I've said this before, but it's like dating and you want the 10 girl, but you live in your parents basement, are unemployed, dress like a slob and are 80 pounds overweight.

I Feel A Connection With Many Towns...But Not This One

MO
smokin.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT