ADVERTISEMENT

Ash to Coach tOSU Bowl Game

Very surprised by that wouldn't have expected it outside a national title run. Would prefer his focus here but I suppose to some degree it'll be a walking billboard for us like Tom Herman during their title run. I wonder if that's what he's thinking and taking a similar approach to Herman last year.

Yea pretty dissapointing. This is your team now so your focus should be here. Also not like OSU is going to the playoffs and they should be able to do without an assistant coach for 1 bowl game. Baber's who is a Head coach is leaving to recruit for Syracuse immediately.

Very surprised by that wouldn't have expected it outside a national title run. Would prefer his focus here but I suppose to some degree it'll be a walking billboard for us like Tom Herman during their title run. I wonder if that's what he's thinking and taking a similar approach to Herman last year.
The difference is this isn't the playoffs its essentially a meaningless game so I would rather his focus be here.

Surprising Would have imagined AD would make getting to work inmediately part of the deal to be the choice.

The difference is this isn't the playoffs its essentially a meaningless game so I would rather his focus be here.
Me too but I'm guessing that's his thinking, although if asked he'll stay stuff like loyalty to the players/Meyer etc.. Herman had a Houston cap on his head immediately after the title game. He was milking it as much as possible and used it for pub. Ash might be doing it for the same reason but on a smaller scale in Rose Bowl or Fiesta Bowl.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
As a practical matter anyone who has switched jobs realizes how difficult it can be. This is no way that he can focus on building a staff and coaching at OSU. He should be on the road today in NJ meeting with dozens of HCs over the next week or so.

You guys realize he would have 5 days to recruit before the dead period? Once it hits 12/13 or 12/14 no one can talk to any recruit for a month. If you think he is going to be game planning every minute of the day between now and the Rose Bowl/Fiesta Bowl and not also focusing on our program, making calls to coaches - you're nuts.

Reactions: RUpop and Raritan83
Grow up people. He will be doing both. Especially during the dead period. Fact that OSU still needs him tells me he is great coach.
Grow up? We want him 100% focused on RU, which he simply won't be if he's pulling double duty. That said, I do appreciate the loyalty. In addition, it will be some free advertising for us as you know it will be discussed during OSU's bowl game broadcast and we are about to enter a dead period in recruiting. As long as the next 2 weeks are predominantly RU time to build recruiting relationships and a staff, I think it'll work out ok.

Reactions: drewbagel423
WOW - first impression is that this is a colossal blunder - what of major consequence is going to be accomplished via his investment of time in Ohio State's non-Championship bowl game?
HUGE ... obstacle to overcome when it comes to the very urgent need to quickly cement relationships

BUT - maybe he has thought this through & he has a way that he will parlay his presence in all the Bowl activities into a 'running start' for his new job....

As a practical matter anyone who has switched jobs realizes how difficult it can be. This is no way that he can focus on building a staff and coaching at OSU. He should be on the road today in NJ meeting with dozens of HCs over the next week or so.

He can't be on the road today, he has not been officially hired.

You guys realize he would have 5 days to recruit before the dead period? Once it hits 12/13 or 12/14 no one can talk to any recruit for a month. If you think he is going to be game planning every minute of the day between now and the Rose Bowl/Fiesta Bowl and not also focusing on our program, making calls to coaches - you're nuts.

This. Not ideal, but not that unusual.

I gotta say, i'm not feelin the love right now.

This is like asking a girl to go out with you, she says yes and then you take your ex to the dance.

what the heck Ash? You're OUR coach now! Sighh.. novice move, whatre you gonna do i guess..

Yeah, that arrangement worked out TERRIBLY for Herman and Houston

This fan base will look for any reason to get their panties in a bunch.
Herman was playing for the first college football playoff and national championship . if you can't see the difference then there is no point in talking to you. No one including OSU fans gives a crap about the rose bowl at this point. Its a consolation prize.

Herman was playing for the first college football playoff and national championship . if you can't see the difference then there is no point in talking to you. No one including OSU fans gives a crap about the rose bowl at this point. Its a consolation prize.

How does that change the comparison to Houston?

Do I need to retype my post but a little slower for you?

You guys will find anything to bitch and moan about. I really don't see how this is such a god awful terrible thing. He has this thing called a contract with tOSU. I bet this was brought up in any interview he had. It most likely isn't some blindsided cheap shot at us.

I hope calling potential additions to his staff and/or meeting with our current assistants is his first priority.

Block R - I don't disgaree. My larger point was that he needs to immerse himself in this job and not worry about OSU anymore.

Not happy about this at all. It's a huge mistake on his part. He needs to be here putting his staff together and getting in touch with the recruits. I was happy about the hire but if he can't see the urgency here I'm afraid I'm not very happy with him now. I'm pissed now and his press conference Monday will do nothing to ease my pain. He needs to rethink this course immediately.

Last edited:
How does that change the comparison to Houston?

Do I need to retype my post but a little slower for you?
You've just proven your stupidity so thanks for that. The difference is numbnuts and maybe youre not aware of this so ill be the one to type slowly for you
winning....the...... national......championship....is......more....meaningful...... than......winning......a.......consolation..... prize

Reactions: RealityChech2
You've just proven your stupidity so thanks for that. The difference is numbnuts and maybe youre not aware of this so ill be the one to type slowly for you
winning....the...... national......championship....is......more....meaningful...... than......winning......a.......consolation..... prize

You're focusing on the wrong part. ..but based on your posts that doesn't surprise me

You're focusing on rationalizing why a coach would do this

As rutgers fans I am focusing on the impact to US

And I am using herman as an example of how herman did this and IT DIDN'T SEEM TO AFFECT HOUSTON

So forget the reason for WHY...my point is, ash can still have a successful first year by coaching osu through their miserable consolation prize the Rose Bowl (yes, I am making fun of you again)

Comprende now?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT