ADVERTISEMENT

Ash to Coach tOSU Bowl Game

Wow. Is this guy kidding me. Not a good start. Put on your big boy pants and say good bye to your former players because you need to connect your phone in your new office in Piscataway NJ. I'm disappointed to say the least.

This exact thing was discussed at half time during one of the championshop games last night. Butch Davis said he let GS go as soon as RU signed him so he could start recruiting for RU. He slso added that had he stayed through the bowl game he probably would have been distracted, and not as effective.

Not a good start, but at least Ash isnt taking a two week vacation.

How does that change the comparison to Houston?

It's an inaccurate comparison as he clearly pointed out. Herman was playing for a NC. Ash is playing for a consolation bowl. We are not Houston. We are not an AAC pit stop with a weak schedule.. We are a B1G team that happens to be in the toughest division in CFB which includes tOSU. He should be spending this time establishing himself as our coach, connecting with recruits and assembling a staff ASAP. Not wasting a month preparing his old team for a meaningless game. Succeeding here won't be as easy as succeeding at Houston. Its just not a good move no matter how you look at it.

You're focusing on the wrong part. ..but based on your posts that doesn't surprise me

You're focusing on rationalizing why a coach would do this

As rutgers fans I am focusing on the impact to US

And I am using herman as an example of how he did this and IT DIDN'T SEEM TO AFFECT HOUSTON

So forget the reason...my point is, ash can still have a successful first year by coaching osu through their miserable consolation prize the Rose Bowl (yes, I am making fun of you again)

Comprende now?
Good lord you are slow. No one is saying that Ash is doomed to fail now because he decided to coach OSU in the bowl game. What we we are saying is in Herman's case the publicity and recruiting tool that he got for coaching for and winning the national championship outweighed any negatives of him not being at Houston for the first month. With Ash he will NOT be getting the same credit/publicity for winning the rose bowl but will still get all the negatives of not being there. So stop bring up herman like a stupid broken record. And yes the CFP has made this years rose bowl absolutely meaningless. If you can't see that then you clearly know nothing about college football. Go to the OSU fan forums and see how disspointed they are that they are playing in the rose bowl. You think they are gonna be grateful that ash stayed around another month to help them win a game they don't care about that much?

Reactions: koleszar
The more I think about this the more pissed I become. Way too competitive out there for him to worry about not quitting on his former team. His team is no longer OSU. Get your ass to NJ. Does this guy think our passionate fan base is any less psychotic then the OSU fan base. Oh I'm crazy baby. I'm calling his office phone and it just keeps ringing. Where is he?

You're focusing on the wrong part. ..but based on your posts that doesn't surprise me

You're focusing on rationalizing why a coach would do this

As rutgers fans I am focusing on the impact to US

And I am using herman as an example of how herman did this and IT DIDN'T SEEM TO AFFECT HOUSTON

So forget the reason for WHY...my point is, ash can still have a successful first year by coaching osu through their miserable consolation prize the Rose Bowl (yes, I am making fun of you again)

Comprende now?
This is a blunder by Ash, you can do all the spinning you want.
He has to meet HS coaches, recruits, he has to get a staff, get to know RU and the logisitics. He can't initiate contacts with HS player but they can contact him if they want. What's he going to say 'sorry I am focusing on the OSU game'.

Does he need that extra 25k he is going to get for the Bowl game. He has a contract with RU that is worth a lot more.

He does not know his priorities!

The decision may not have been entirely up to Ash. Meyers may have an agreement with all his coaches that they stay through the playoffs or bowl games.

Reactions: SirScarlet
Good lord you are slow. No one is saying that Ash is doomed to fail now because he decided to coach OSU in the bowl game. What we we are saying is in Herman's case the publicity and recruiting tool that he got for coaching for and winning the national championship outweighed any negatives of him not being at Houston for the first month. With Ash he will NOT be getting the same credit/publicity for winning the rose bowl but will still get all the negatives of not being there. So stop bring up herman like a stupid broken record. And yes the CFP has made this years rose bowl absolutely meaningless. If you can't see that then you clearly know nothing about college football. Go to the OSU fan forums and see how disspointed they are that they are playing in the rose bowl. You think they are gonna be grateful that ash stayed around another month to help them win a game they don't care about that much?

You and your sidekick are cracking me up

We are supposed to take you seriously when you're talking about osu playing in the rose bowl as a meaningless game

We will have to agree to disagree here.

But carry on with your whining

Reactions: Doctor Worm
The decision may not have been entirely up to Ash. Meyers may have an agreement with all his coaches that they stay through the playoffs or bowl games.

And yet things worked out for the last coordinator who left Meyers staff

But why focus on that? It's much easier to bitch and whine

We are in NJ after all...

You guys realize he would have 5 days to recruit before the dead period? Once it hits 12/13 or 12/14 no one can talk to any recruit for a month. If you think he is going to be game planning every minute of the day between now and the Rose Bowl/Fiesta Bowl and not also focusing on our program, making calls to coaches - you're nuts.
What about all those days of practice during the bowl prep. Is he going to be putting together a staff during that time or fly back to NJ at night to start meeting high school coaches and getting acclimated to his new surroundings. Anyway you spin this it's a bad move. Now if they were in the playoffs going for a National Championship I could see your point. But not for a consolation prize game. Dumb move period.

So, now the Ledger and Politi have their storyline for the next XX years. Every negative piece, and there will be many, will harken back to the terrible start by Ash by choosing to coach tOSU in their bowl game rather than walking the halls of the Hale Center and most of you feed right into that non-story. And if circumstances change and he changes his mind, the story will still be how he initially chose tOSU over RU.As Guido Sarducci use to say- If its not one thing, its another.

Just imagine when he does report on day 1 and he's not wearing Rutgers scarlet

And yet things worked out for the last coordinator who left Meyers staff

But why focus on that? It's much easier to bitch and whine

We are in NJ after all...
Yeah the AAC is exactly like the B1G. Forgot how similar the conferences are.

Yeah the AAC is exactly like the B1G. Forgot how similar the conferences are.

Does the AAC have more hours in the day than the big 10? More days in the month? That's why herman got it done? Or you're suggesting he actually didn't do a good job but because he's in an inferior conference he was able to get by with lower quality work?

Please explain to all of us exactly why it was easier for Herman?

You know what...please don't. I am already dumber for engaging in this thread.

I think we can all say we are disappointed.... In my mind I thought he would be out here pretty much full time, contacting possible assistants, contacting the high schools, etc

even if he just had a few days not in the dead period.... I would like for him to contact any wavering recruit, during whatever time frame is allowed...

yes, it is possible that it might not hurt the program too much, but I would have hoped Urban told him " well done here, now go knock em dead in Jersey"...

And it may well have been one of the points of disagreement that caused him to walk away from Syracuse. Hobbs will have known in advance that Ash would coach in OSU's bowl and if he is ok with it I am too.

I don't like it but I won't be extremely upset about it. I do think he'll have a staff largely in place by the time the Rose Bowl comes around and that he'll be out recruiting for us before then as well.

Did some looking and Charlie Strong coached in a BCS game for Meyer before he left, it was a non title run. Mullen did as well before Miss. State but that was a title run. I think McElwain did too before he left to CSU but that was also a title run.

If he wins and recruits well this will be a footnote in his career at Rutgers.

If he loses and can't bring in talent it will be remembered much like terry Shea's vacation. He's not making things any easier on himself. I'll reserve judgment on this but if he is initially unsuccessful it's gonna hurt his image.

I don't like it but I won't be extremely upset about it. I do think he'll have a staff largely in place by the time the Rose Bowl comes around and that he'll be out recruiting for us before then as well.

Did some looking and Charlie Strong coached in a BCS game for Meyer before he left, it was a non title run. Mullen did as well before Miss. State but that was a title run. I think McElwain did too before he left to CSU but that was also a title run.

Omg, you mean coaches do this and it doesn't cripple their program?

You must be joking

I think it's better we just bitch and whine with no facts to support us!!

Reactions: Rokodesh
What about all those days of practice during the bowl prep. Is he going to be putting together a staff during that time or fly back to NJ at night to start meeting high school coaches and getting acclimated to his new surroundings. Anyway you spin this it's a bad move. Now if they were in the playoffs going for a National Championship I could see your point. But not for a consolation prize game. Dumb move period.

Sounds like you have real insight on what he's going to be doing. What the F**K is the matter with you guys? Can we at least hear his press conference tomorrow to see what he has to say? I can bet you someone will ask him the question on how is he planning to fill his staff, recruiting, is he still going to coach the Rose Bowl at the press conference. Can we at least hear what the man has to say before getting yourself all worked up?

Does the AAC have more hours in the day than the big 10? More days in the month? That's why herman got it done? Or you're suggesting he actually didn't do a good job but because he's in an inferior conference he was able to get by with lower quality work?

Please explain to all of us exactly why it was easier for Herman?

You know what...please don't. I am already dumber for engaging in this thread.
If you can't see the level of competition difference between the AAC and B1G I don't know what to tell you. Ashes job here is going to be far more difficult than what Herman had to do in Houston. He needs to hit the ground running here. Not wait until after January 1st in order to get his undivided attention. His full attention should be here now after Monday's press conference. It could be the difference between keeping just one recruit or hiring one coach. Everything matters when we're this far behind the eight ball. Especially when their playing for a consolation prize if it was the National Championship playoffs I could see your point.

Sounds like you have real insight on what he's going to be doing. What the F**K is the matter with you guys? Can we at least hear his press conference tomorrow to see what he has to say? I can bet you someone will ask him the question on how is he planning to fill his staff, recruiting, is he still going to coach the Rose Bowl at the press conference. Can we at least hear what the man has to say before getting yourself all worked up?
It's all ready being reported you might want to browse the internet. I'm not pulling this rabbit out of a hat if that's what you think.

If you can't see the level of competition difference between the AAC and B1G I don't know what to tell you. Ashes job hear is going to be far more difficult than what Herman had to do in Houston. He needs to hit the ground running here. Not wait until after January 1st in order to get his undivided attention. His full attention should be here now after Monday's press conference. It could be the difference between keeping just one recruit or hiring one coach. Everything matters when we're this far behind the eight ball. Especially when their playing for a consolation prize if it was the National Championship playoffs I could see your point.

I didn't think you would answer my question

But carry on with your emotional outbursts

Not happy about this at all. It's a huge mistake on his part. He needs to be here putting his staff together and getting in touch with the recruits. I was happy about the hire but if he can't see the urgency here I'm afraid I'm not very happy with him now. I'm pissed now and his press conference Monday will do nothing to ease my pain. He needs to rethink this course immediately.

Durkin is not coaching in Michigan's bowl.

I guess we are doomed then. This is the first time in the history of college football a coach chose to finish out his job in a bowl game.

Reactions: SirScarlet
Brian Kelly bolted from Cinn weeks before the Orange Bowl to take the ND job.

You guys realize he would have 5 days to recruit before the dead period? Once it hits 12/13 or 12/14 no one can talk to any recruit for a month. If you think he is going to be game planning every minute of the day between now and the Rose Bowl/Fiesta Bowl and not also focusing on our program, making calls to coaches - you're nuts.
you are actually making a point for why his focus needs to be hear, before the dead period, the recruits have been quoted saying they want to meet him and talk to him, this is critical

It's all ready being reported you might want to browse the internet. I'm not pulling this rabbit out of a hat if that's what you think.

If anyone should have an issue with this is Ohio St., not RU. It's like if you took another job and started working for the new company and you still go to the old company for couple of days, oh by the way, both companies are competitors. Which company do you think has more to lose? Do you not see the value of having him on the sidelines during the Rose Bowl and the announcers mentioning the next RU head coach, can't buy publicity like this.

Wow! Bad way to start and also indicative that this is clearly a stepping stone if he succeeds and a "oh well" if he does not. Strike one on our new AD and Coach.

Reactions: LC-88
You guys will find anything to bitch and moan about. I really don't see how this is such a god awful terrible thing. He has this thing called a contract with tOSU. I bet this was brought up in any interview he had. It most likely isn't some blindsided cheap shot at us.
You do know the direction our program is currently heading, correct? Given that, he has more than enough work here to do. I can see him helping with OSU plan, scheme, etc. on a part time basis (maybe a few hours a week (like around 10-15 hours)), but if that is not the case, wrong start.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
Now I am pissed. THis is wrong. Hobbs needs to get on this. Bad decision whoever is making it. If its Ash, I am very disappointed, he needs to get to work now!!!!!!!!! Getting the team pumped up and working on recruiting is essential at this time.

Should have been part of the offer to leave right away.

Not happy about this at all. It's a huge mistake on his part. He needs to be here putting his staff together and getting in touch with the recruits. I was happy about the hire but if he can't see the urgency here I'm afraid I'm not very happy with him now. I'm pissed now and his press conference Monday will do nothing to ease my pain. He needs to rethink this course immediately.
he needs to ignore all the fans who think they know more about doing the job than he does.

Paul Chryst left Pitt immediately after getting the Wisconsin HC Job.

Pitt's Bowl game was coached by the remaining Pitt staff that he didn't take to Wisconsin.

Coaches set their own priorities.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: JoeRU0304
Wow! Bad way to start and also indicative that this is clearly a stepping stone if he succeeds and a "oh well" if he does not. Strike one on our new AD and Coach.

Clearly a stepping stone? Please go back and take your meds. If he doesn't succeed, what is he going to step up to? In 5 years if we are competitive program and start getting our share of NJ recruits and he wants to go take over for Meyer or Saban or Miles, he has earned it and we will be in much better shape than today. He might just want to stay here because in 5 year we will be able to be competitive with money as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT