ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Spring Football Has Momentum

Wolv RU

All American
Nov 7, 2003
Posted in the other thread. What's the point of a spring schedule if other conferences play in the fall? If they do, you can bet there will he bowl games and championship playoffs in January. Plus signing day will occur before spring season starts. It accomplished nothing.

That sounds more like winter football, which is fine because it's better than spring

They're simply playing with the fans so there isn't such a large backlash. If you told PSU, Michigan, OSU, etc. fans that it would be another 13 months until they play a game you probably would get a much harsher reaction, this way they hold out hope that there will be football in just 5 month knowing full well that it is a total pipe dream because there is simply no way that the players could safely begin training camp in July after finishing a season in May.

If nobody ends up playing there is no need for the B1G to consider the Spring.

But if even one conference does it, like the SEC, and makes it thru with no major issues the B1G will have to try or else.

Still think it’s more along the lines of what @RUforlife and others are saying and we don’t see anything until Fall 2021.

In addition to the Purdue plan, the Big Ten already has a subcommittee that discussed a plan on Thursday morning, apparently with December camp and a January - March schedule.

The more momentum, the better.

Perhaps the backlash of earlier this week was what was needed to help ensure a spring season will happen.

Pete Thamel: https://sports.yahoo.com/big-ten-shifts-focus-to-spring-season-it-can-be-done-191255677.html
Play a reduced 8 game + 2 game playoff format starting in February could finish mid April...then no Spring ball ...begin again in August ( fall camp) start season 2nd week of September ...not only doable but gives players roughly 4 months between seasons... unusual times need unusual 2021...

Anyone planning on getting drafted is not playing in the spring. I would also count a large percentage of seniors who don’t get much playing time would also opt out
Those people are a very small percentage and they will be gambling with their own career because the active player might very well jump them in the draft.

Reactions: Scarlet83
In addition to the Purdue plan, the Big Ten already has a subcommittee that discussed a plan on Thursday morning, apparently with December camp and a January - March schedule.

The more momentum, the better.

Perhaps the backlash of earlier this week was what was needed to help ensure a spring season will happen.

Pete Thamel: https://sports.yahoo.com/big-ten-shifts-focus-to-spring-season-it-can-be-done-191255677.html

spring football ain't happening period, and is just a made up false propaganda carrot from the league to diminish backlash over the cancelling of the season.

NOT HAPPENING!!

I think it might help RU. If we play these teams without their star players we have a better chance of at least being competitive. Although from what I've seen the last couple of years their second string could still kick our asses

It’s too much to play fall after playing in May. Bodies need time to heal.

They're simply playing with the fans so there isn't such a large backlash. If you told PSU, Michigan, OSU, etc. fans that it would be another 13 months until they play a game you probably would get a much harsher reaction, this way they hold out hope that there will be football in just 5 month knowing full well that it is a total pipe dream because there is simply no way that the players could safely begin training camp in July after finishing a season in May.

exactly! It’s like when you tell your kids maybe later. I won’t be fooled again. September 21.

Reactions: RU Cheese
The longer someone does without the greater likelihood habits change.

The cautious better be wary.

Reactions: RUhasarrived
Makes total sense to start training camp in December during the height of virus season but not play in the fall due to liability issues.

Liability is greater playing during those months but here we are in The Twilight Zone.

door.png

Reactions: sherrane
If nobody ends up playing there is no need for the B1G to consider the Spring.

But if even one conference does it, like the SEC, and makes it thru with no major issues the B1G will have to try or else.

Still think it’s more along the lines of what @RUforlife and others are saying and we don’t see anything until Fall 2021.
Or else what? Love ultimatums like this.

Keep buying into spring football, I got a bridge in NY to sell you as well.
B10 will kick itself in the arse after making such a poor decision.
Last I checked the NFL Covid (among other sports testing) testing was fantastic.....That's why the story has faded in the media.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
being able to start Xmas and New Years week would be good as a way to maybe work with the bowl locations and have games in warm weather cities.

For cold weather months they should look for neutral site games in Indy, Detroit, Minny, and / or FL / AZ.

Considering any vaccine will still be in the roll out phase in Jan / Feb they will be limited with fans anyway.

Posted in the other thread. What's the point of a spring schedule if other conferences play in the fall? If they do, you can bet there will he bowl games and championship playoffs in January. Plus signing day will occur before spring season starts. It accomplished nothing.

Maybe not. "NCAA president Mark Emmert said Thursday there won't be fall NCAA championships because there are not enough schools participating due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic -- a decision that affects 22 championships, including FCS football". This does not effect the P5 playoffs, but 40% of FBS conferences have postponed fall football (B1G, Pac-12, MWC, MAC) along with some independents. I think the Sun Belt and C-USA will cancel as well. The American may play with the hopes they can get a team into the playoffs with only three P5 conferences playing. Some bowl games will get cancelled because there won't be enough teams. I believe there are 53 FBS teams (out of 130) who will not play in the fall at this point, which would mean a winless team could get a bowl invitation if all bowls are played.

Play a reduced 8 game + 2 game playoff format starting in February could finish mid April...then no Spring ball ...begin again in August ( fall camp) start season 2nd week of September ...not only doable but gives players roughly 4 months between seasons... unusual times need unusual 2021...
I would move up the start to mid Jan but yeah....

Reactions: RUBOB72
Maybe not. "NCAA president Mark Emmert said Thursday there won't be fall NCAA championships because there are not enough schools participating due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic -- a decision that affects 22 championships, including FCS football". This does not effect the P5 playoffs, but 40% of FBS conferences have postponed fall football (B1G, Pac-12, MWC, MAC) along with some independents. I think the Sun Belt and C-USA will cancel as well. The American may play with the hopes they can get a team into the playoffs with only three P5 conferences playing. Some bowl games will get cancelled because there won't be enough teams. I believe there are 53 FBS teams (out of 130) who will not play in the fall at this point, which would mean a winless team could get a bowl invitation if all bowls are played.
I would expect that, as it stands today, any bowls before Christmas will get cancelled. Few will travel to a minor bowl. Without ticket sales, these bowls will be big money losers.

what is happening between now and Jan that will make the players safer?

Data on NHL, NBA, MLS, WNBA, NFL, and potentially other P5 conferences. Let’s see how they handle it. I appreciate there are some differences such as the bubble, etc, but there’s still a lot to be learned. Also, while I don’t doubt that some college players have shown heart inflammation, it is curious that not a single pro athlete has a similar condition (at least that’s been publicized). There are a lot of pro athletes who had Covid. Studies over the next 3-4 months should be able to establish if that’s an actual symptom.

It’s too much to play fall after playing in May. Bodies need time to heal.
BS! These are 18-22 year-old kids and young men we’re talking about, in the peak of their conditioning and bounce back ability.... not 35-year-old journeymen who have had 10-12 years of NFL play destroying their bodies.

If the spring season is wrapped up by the end of April, they will be just fine to get back at it starting on August 1! Do you think these kids need more than 90 days for their bodies to recover from the last game in April? That’s insane.

Data on NHL, NBA, MLS, WNBA, NFL, and potentially other P5 conferences. Let’s see how they handle it. I appreciate there are some differences such as the bubble, etc, but there’s still a lot to be learned. Also, while I don’t doubt that some college players have shown heart inflammation, it is curious that not a single pro athlete has a similar condition (at least that’s been publicized). There are a lot of pro athletes who had Covid. Studies over the next 3-4 months should be able to establish if that’s an actual symptom.
It’s a symptom with many viruses

BS! These are 18-22 year-old kids and young men we’re talking about, in the peak of their conditioning and bounce back ability.... not 35-year-old journeymen who have had 10-12 years of NFL play destroying their bodies.

If the spring season is wrapped up by the end of April, they will be just fine to get back at it starting on August 1! Do you think these kids need more than 90 days for their bodies to recover from the last game in April? That’s insane.
Do you have any idea how many kids get “minor” surgeries to clean stuff up every off season

Why not at least the regular Spring camp w some (4-6) games. Either against Conference or relatively local teams from other conferences . Syracuse, Temple, BC etc..

They should release a schedule soon ! OrZ

Yes. Many people don’t understand or comprehend the amount of physical stress this sport puts on your body. The training, weight room , and practices . Then there is the mental aspect of film and playbook study and sessions. Sounds manageable ?
Oh yeah I forgot the actual games ...very violent games.

Anyone planning on getting drafted is not playing in the spring. I would also count a large percentage of seniors who don’t get much playing time would also opt out

I doubt it. Imagine if Joe Burrow hadn't played last year. There is a ton of incentive to play in football unless you are already assured to be a top pick. Playing games and getting film against other quality guys in games is really the only way to move up in, or into, the draft.

what is happening between now and Jan that will make the players safer?

Maybe there will be an instant on the spot Covid test available by then? Or maybe, there will be just enough of the current ones available by then. Syracuse is apparently testing its players every other week so far. One reason the Pac-12 gave for cancelling is that they could not procure daily tests until November.

There could also be better treatments (just like there are now compared to four months ago), or even a vaccine as some are scheduled to complete trials this fall.

Not gonna happen.. avoid CoVid to play outdoors in the middle of flu season?

When this thing started.. SCIENCE told us that the warm temps would help end it... while it did not end it.. probably due to so much time indoors in AC.. what if the warm temps are what really flattened the curve? What if the next flu season is much much worse for CoVid than the current conditions?

We should have started public school back up August 1 just in case things get worse when everything cools down.

Reactions: vkj91
Do you have any idea how many kids get “minor” surgeries to clean stuff up every off season

Not as many as you’re eluding to. Players get surgeries after spring ball too, but things go on.

I doubt it. Imagine if Joe Burrow hadn't played last year. There is a ton of incentive to play in football unless you are already assured to be a top pick. Playing games and getting film against other quality guys in games is really the only way to move up in, or into, the draft.

The expectation is a lot of players going 1st or 2nd day of the draft will be skipping a spring season to avoid injuries. It's also been mentioned that sophomores who expect to leave after their junior year will skip a spring season to be at full health for the following fall.

So yes while some can significantly improve their draft position they have to weigh it against not being drafted at all if injured in the spring. It's an unusual situation to be in for most of these kids and there will be no right answer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT