ADVERTISEMENT

Big10 Tournament Thread: Session 2, 7pm , BTN+, Flowrestling:

Stop with the one leg crap ...did it ever occur to you that he might be over hyped ..when he wins no mention of the leg ..when he loses it’s always the leg ..how many times does the staff say he is cleared to go ...get over it ....are these coaches known for sending hurt kids out to wrestle ...I think not

If you truly follow RU wrestling, you should have noticed the difference between Glasgow pre-injury and post-injury. Before, you had a dynamic and agile wrestler who wasn't afraid to take take shots and contort his body to escape takedowns. Post injury was a wrestler who didn't attack or shoot much, would give up takedowns on simple head chucks and snap downs. Any attack or pressure on that leg? He conceded to the opponent. Yeah..there was a big difference. I'm not trying to over hype anything. But I clearly saw two different wrestlers pre and post injury.

That was horrible.. Split screens trying focus on both matches.

I pretty much missed the entire Ashnault match with the split screen. I was so focused on Suriano's match, Ashnault's ended. I figured he pinned his opponent or there was a medical forfeit as it seemed to be over so quick. Time flies when you are watching Suriano and Desanto!!!

I wonder have you wrestled before at this level with the same type of injury?
Just out of curiosity do you even know what he had done ...it was also over a month ago ..the coaches say he is fine,,,the doctor cleared him and WNG who is in the room all the time says he was cleared ...he lost ..get over it and stop making excuses ..high school prowess doesn’t always translate to college...enough said

Reactions: IroniaHorse
Glasgow is totally fine and "medically cleared"...just medically forfeited out of 9th place bracket...

Medically cleared is one thing. Totally fine is another. No wrestler or coach is going to admit they are still hurting during the season. Glasgow still is hurting. I have seen enough of him wincing and giving up points in precarious positions to make me strongly believe he was not totally fine. He had a tough season wrestling at a weight up and against some of the biggest dogs in the nation. Oh yeah, and he was a freshman thrown into the starting lineup. People need to let him heal, hopefully wrestle healthy, and wrestle at the right weight. Then make your decisions. I saw two Glasgow wrestlers, one pre-injury and one post. Two different wrestlers in regards to aggressiveness, taking chances, escapability, and confidence.

Medically cleared is one thing. Totally fine is another. No wrestler or coach is going to admit they are still hurting during the season. Glasgow still is hurting. I have seen enough of him wincing and giving up points in precarious positions to make me strongly believe he was not totally fine. He had a tough season wrestling at a weight up and against some of the biggest dogs in the nation. Oh yeah, and he was a freshman thrown into the starting lineup. People need to let him heal, hopefully wrestle healthy, and wrestle at the right weight. Then make your decisions. I saw two Glasgow wrestlers, one pre-injury and one post. Two different wrestlers in regards to aggressiveness, taking chances, escapability, and confidence.
I guess we will see next year ...hopefully you are right ..not sure why you think I don’t pull for the kid ..I do but he beat guys he is supposed to beat and lost to guys he should lose to ...using the injury just seems like a crutch .....he is small compared to Joseph, Marinelli etc ..so to expect more and not get it and then blame an injury is a cop out ..he got experience for sure so hopefully he puts it back together next year at a weight he should be at ..he had his shot at 157 ..he lost ...he wasn’t injured then so he did the best he could at 165 ...no reason to use the injury every time he lost.

DeSanto didn’t do anything wrong here. Nick started trouble and that’s that. (And I’m fine with that)
So what did NS do this match that warrants you feeling this way?

Didn’t see the match so I’d like to know...

Glasgow will probably be gone after this season.Hopefully our new guys will step in.
So why would you say this about the kid ...you castigate me for saying that the injury excuse is getting old yet you say he is probably gone next year ..what a hypocrite !

I guess we will see next year ...hopefully you are right ..not sure why you think I don’t pull for the kid ..I do but he beat guys he is supposed to beat and lost to guys he should lose to ...using the injury just seems like a crutch .....he is small compared to Joseph, Marinelli etc ..so to expect more and not get it and then blame an injury is a cop out ..he got experience for sure so hopefully he puts it back together next year at a weight he should be at ..he had his shot at 157 ..he lost ...he wasn’t injured then so he did the best he could at 165 ...no reason to use the injury every time he lost.

I have never used the injury as an excuse on any of his losses. I think he is still in pain, win or lose. I have seen way too much in his facial expressions and the way he gives up when the leg is challenged. Early in the season, he was a dynamic wrestler. After he got hurt and had his knee worked on, he was a very different person. One who wouldn't shoot, get to a standing position from bottom, or couldn't escape holds like he used to before the injury. Add to that, an inexperienced freshman and wrestling against the best in the nation. Pick any one (or more) of those and that adds up to a rough year for Glasgow. I still think he is a talented wrestler and look forward to seeing him wrestle in the future.

Reactions: Leonard23
I don't understand what all this arguing is about regarding Glasgow. "Medically cleared" clearly doesn't mean 100% healthy, just like most wrestlers are at this time of year. He's a young kid that helps his team by filling a spot of need, even if he's overmatched at times. We should be saluting what he's given us, not ripping him apart at every chance.

There is no way he is fine. He would not have that enormous wrap on his knee if we was fine. Medically cleared could also mean the doctors said hey it’s gonna hurt but you are not going to make it any worse so you can wrestle if you want.

RU with 4 Auto Qualifiers-how many more can we get.

125-needs to beat Heinslman then most likely Moisey to finish 9th. Do not see it happening and then will not get an at large bid.
141-Lipari, needs to win the 9th place tournament(will not get an at large bid). Has Mich State kid first, they did not wrestle in the dual. Then most likely Limmex from Purdue(Lipari beat him 5-4 in OT). So Lipari has a pretty good chance to finish 9th.
174-Grello- I think Grello gets an at large bid. Grello earned an AQ for the conference and Princetons Stefanick also needs an at large and Grello has two wins over him(so he will get picked over him).
197-no chance for an at large
Hwt-no chance for an at large

So I think 5 with a pretty good chance for Lipari.

That midget brands is such a prick. I wanna see someone take his head off. He said to nick “go ahead” after the match, daring nick to hit him. Such a piece of shit. Little midget
i commented before on how the refs are cucked by the brands midgets....nick won despite their bullshit...........the wick marinelli match should have went into ot....they call those quick stalls on nick,,,,and freeze when iowa wrestles
sick of the iowa cucking

So what did NS do this match that warrants you feeling this way?

Didn’t see the match so I’d like to know...

Nick simply tossed him a little extra as time expired... no big thing really. I just know that if it was reversed that we would be all over the other kid.

I’m more defending Desanto because it’s gotten out of hand how much people criticize him and hate. It’s gotten to the point where even if he doesn’t do anything, he gets shit on. It’s embarassing how much people these days can’t handle an aggressive, edgy person. We need more badasses (suriano & Ashnault included), not less

Nick simply tossed him a little extra as time expired... no big thing really. I just know that if it was reversed that we would be all over the other kid.

I’m more defending Desanto because it’s gotten out of hand how much people criticize him and hate. It’s gotten to the point where even if he doesn’t do anything, he gets shit on. It’s embarassing how much people these days can’t handle an aggressive, edgy person. We need more badasses (suriano & Ashnault included), not less

You are defending Desanto? He is easy to criticize and hate. This is the same guy who, in the past, has attempted to injure opponents. It's the same guy who attempted a cartwheel, round off kick to Micic's head last year in the NCAAs. Yeah we need more people like him. What's next? You are going to annoint Gable Steveson the next God of wrestling because he is an arrogant ass? Aggressive and edgy is one thing. Disrespecting the sport, your opponent, and attempting to injure are not worthy of defending.

You are defending Desanto? He is easy to criticize and hate. This is the same guy who, in the past, has attempted to injure opponents. It's the same guy who attempted a cartwheel, round off kick to Micic's head last year in the NCAAs. Yeah we need more people like him. What's next? You are going to annoint Gable Steveson the next God of wrestling because he is an arrogant ass? Aggressive and edgy is one thing. Disrespecting the sport, your opponent, and attempting to injure are not worthy of defending.

Did you see Stevenson in the match against Sam Stoll? He was a jerk again, doing a rope a dope Muhammad Ali dance, and then getting into his face again after the match ended. Him and Disanto is everything that’s wrong with sports

wish this season did not end like this. hope it is not serious
Would not be shocked if he transferred and maybe to a lower level. Just doesn’t seem like he wants to be out there. I realize he’s hurt etc but just don’t like the body language he gives off. Hope I’m wring bc I think he has tons of potential.

I don't understand what all this arguing is about regarding Glasgow. "Medically cleared" clearly doesn't mean 100% healthy, just like most wrestlers are at this time of year. He's a young kid that helps his team by filling a spot of need, even if he's overmatched at times. We should be saluting what he's given us, not ripping him apart at every chance.
For me at least and I think many of the naysayers, it's more along the lines of what has this season done for him mentally or even accomplished on the mat. You all just listened to Nick in his interview say how much of a mental game this is.

Now we took what is supposed to be one of our future horses and sent him out on a leg which clearly isn't 100%(although no further damage can be done and he's cleared, great good to know). A kid who hadn't wrestled in a year. Then to compound matters even further bumped him up a weight and proceed to watch him lose time after time. At times he couldn't even defend that leg, his quickness and strength were shot. It's important to note, this is a true freshman we're talking about, not a 6th year senior like Gravina. So the comparisons can't be made.

What exactly did this accomplish for his psyche and the bigger question what will the lasting effects be? What exactly did this year teach him? Seems the only thing accomplished this year was getting experience simply for experience sake. Was that year of eligibility really worth it, just to gain what turned out to be anguishing experience? Was the risk of potentially breaking a freshman's psyche worth it just to win a few duals meets?

Many of us feel like it was a huge waste and he simply wrestled do to the inept recruiting of the weight class by the coaches. The odds were stacked against him. True freshman, hadn't wrestle for a year, injured leg and bumping up a weight class. Is that really putting him in the best position to succeed. You know the coaches job. The smart move would have been to redshirt and let him wrestle the year in open tournaments to get acclimated back into wrestling itself, a B1G wrestling room and another year of healing the leg.

Last edited:
Reactions: nikoru09
For me at least and I think many of the naysayers, it's more along the lines of what has this season done for him mentally or even accomplished on the mat. You all just listened to Nick in his interview say how much of a mental game this is.

Now we took what is supposed to be one of our future horses and sent him out on a leg which clearly isn't 100%(although no further damage can be done and he's cleared, great good to know). A kid who hadn't wrestled in a year. Then to compound matters even further bumped him up a weight and proceed to watch him lose time after time. At times he couldn't even defend that leg, his quickness and strength were shot. It's important to note, this is a true freshman we're talking about, not a 6th year senior like Gravina. So the comparisons can't be made.

What exactly did this accomplish for his psyche and the bigger question what will the lasting effects be? What exactly did this year teach him? Seems the only thing accomplished this year was getting experience simply for experience sake. Was that year of eligibility really worth it, just to gain what turned out to be anguishing experience? Was the risk of potentially breaking a freshman's psyche worth it just to win a few duals meets?

Many of us feel like it was a huge waste and he simply wrestled do to the inept recruiting of the weight class by the coaches. The odds against this kid were stacked against him. Hadn't wrestle for a year, injured leg and bumping up a weight class. Is that really putting him in the best position to succeed. You know the coaches job. The smart move would have been to redshirt and let him wrestle the year in open tournaments to get acclimated back into wrestling itself, a B1G wrestling room and another year of healing the leg.

Well said Koleszar you could have not have put this is in better words.I really think we should be careful how we handle these situations with freshman.Recruits along with their families analyze and pay attention to how things will be handled if they come into Rutgers.I think their are some valuable lessons learned in Glasgow's case.

As far as psyche this can damage a freshman's outlook with the risk of losing him,transferring out or chucking this year as a one time disaster.It could also create lingering effects that he might not be able to overcome in the future since the damaged is now rooted.Goody does a good job in selling our product, so hopefully along with the coaching staff they can reconnect with Glasgow in the offseason laying out a successful plan.

Do some of the mat officials have it in for our coaching staff? I'd like to hear an explanation for each of these calls :

53743364_10205983027132703_7923169137231134720_n.jpg

Do some of the mat officials have it in for our coaching staff? I'd like to hear an explanation for each of these calls :

OH @Leonard23 you were right, the coaches lost 2 pts. in that Desantos match. That's a complete and utter debacle by the refs and now puts Northwestern nipping at our heals.

I don't care about the team points at B10
OSU has won 2 straight B10 team titles.....means nothing because they did not win the NCAA those years
If we were trying for top 3, then I would sweat them.
What is the difference between 8th and 10th?
At the NCAA's, it would bother me more.
Top 10 in the NCAA would be big.

I thought Nebraska had lost 2 points from a coach and a wrestler from laying it on an official.

Many of us feel like it was a huge waste and he simply wrestled do to the inept recruiting of the weight class by the coaches. The odds were stacked against him. True freshman, hadn't wrestle for a year, injured leg and bumping up a weight class. Is that really putting him in the best position to succeed. You know the coaches job. The smart move would have been to redshirt and let him wrestle the year in open tournaments to get acclimated back into wrestling itself, a B1G wrestling room and another year of healing the leg.
I agree with everything your wrote. Glasgow is a fighter and I'm sure he wanted to help the team out best he could. The coaching staff has to make the determination of what that is. When I see people blame any of this on him, it drives me crazy because it should be directed at the coaching staff.

A lot of this comes down to the void of talent from the middle to uppers we've talked about ad nauseam in the past. More talent means Glasgow can properly heal and come back at full strength. Hopefully the coaching staff knows what they're doing. I have faith that they do.

Reactions: koleszar
Would not be shocked if he transferred and maybe to a lower level. Just doesn’t seem like he wants to be out there. I realize he’s hurt etc but just don’t like the body language he gives off. Hope I’m wring bc I think he has tons of potential.

That seems extreme and very premature.

Even though he was medically cleared, it was painfully obvious to anyone who watched him wrestle that he wasn't 100%, or at least not 100% confident in himself/the knee. Like many people have said, the mental aspect of the sport is just as important, or even more important than the physical.

We can go back and forth forever about whether this was handled properly, but at the end of the day he wanted to wrestle and not redshirt. The coaches gave him the choice since he was medically cleared and he wanted to be out there when he could. That's was his call.

Hopefully next year he comes out completely heathly, mentally and physically, and wrestles at his preferred weight and shows everyone what he is capable of.

Reactions: rondi
That seems extreme and very premature.

Even though he was medically cleared, it was painfully obvious to anyone who watched him wrestle that he wasn't 100%, or at least not 100% confident in himself/the knee. Like many people have said, the mental aspect of the sport is just as important, or even more important than the physical.

We can go back and forth forever about whether this was handled properly, but at the end of the day he wanted to wrestle and not redshirt. The coaches gave him the choice since he was medically cleared and he wanted to be out there when he could. That's was his call.

Hopefully next year he comes out completely heathly, mentally and physically, and wrestles at his preferred weight and shows everyone what he is capable of.

There are a lot of conversations that take place within the room that we are not privy too.Not too sure he wanted to wrestle in that state of injury.Coach says you wanna wrestle and the kid says yes.Is he really ready to wrestle? This is the difference between adults and young boys growing into men.Just as I would need to make better decisions for my kid that does not know any better.We need to guide them through it.

If we were trying for top 3, then I would sweat them.
What is the difference between 8th and 10th?
Perception. I'm a big believer perception matters for recruiting. The higher we place the better that perception. It's all the little things that make up the big picture in people's minds. 8th you're viewed as middle tier. 10th you're viewed as the bottom of the conference.

Reactions: gogs7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT