ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Outlook

That’s the weird thing NYC doesn’t really need hotels filled. It’s just a money grab by the Yankees and a TV slot for a weird time slot. Hard to believe Nebraska would go to New York. Although Nebraska v Miami could be the Gotham Bowl part II. Lol
It is just a money grab. Not a George Steinbrenner thing. It his kids thing. Money grab by those poor kids. Waited until he was unable to understand anything and made this deal. Problem is the Stadium was never made for football. But the bowl was made for the Steinbrenner kid's bank account.

Really? They also lost to Northwestern, and we defeated Northwestern. Maybe that will matter more to them, especially if we beat Maryland. They also went to a bowl last year. Maybe the decision makers will see us traveling better.

Agree on proximity, but on second part--Really? See above. I doubt the bowl selection committee is that granular. It all depends on who the opponent is.

Correct. We are the easy pick because of proximity.

Georgia Tech just became bowl eligible. That would be a good match up.

Brent Key returned to Georgia Tech, having graduated in 2021. The previous coach cratered to program going 10-28/7-19 from 2019 to 2022. Georgia Tech has not been to a bowl since 2018, and Rutgers since 2018. This would be an interesting Battle of the Rebuilds, led by two coaches previously affiliated with their teams.

Great story line. Bowls love story lines.

950206b9-5bad-4ad7-a29b-23eaa97793ee_text.gif
Are you serious? Marylands qb has thrown for 3K yards with 22 TDS and 10 ints. They are a far better matchup for a PAC 12 Team, because they can keep up offensively.

Our style fits the pinstripe better with the possible bad weather and low to no scoring.

Reactions: ruronny
It is just a money grab. Not a George Steinbrenner thing. It his kids thing. Money grab by those poor kids. Waited until he was unable to understand anything and made this deal. Problem is the Stadium was never made for football. But the bowl was made for the Steinbrenner kid's bank account.
Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean everyone feels the same. Few better places to be than nyc during Xmas time. Other Big Ten fans don’t mind the cold because they’re used to it. Add top notch restaurants, Broadway, and Museums, and you have a venue 2nd to none. I hope the bowl fills their bank account. Yankeees need All the help they can get.

Reactions: BronxBound23
Bowl Payouts:
Bahamas/Toastery- $225,000
Guaranteed Rate -$1,625,000
Quick Lane $2,200,000
Las Vegas $2,900,000
Pinstripe $4,400,000- yeah, that's millions
Music City $5,700,000

In the event we get "excluded," there are these possibilites
No Conference Affiliation/At Large:
First Responder Bowl Dallas- Dec. 26 Payout $824,545-No Affiliation
Armed Forces- Ft Worth, TX 12/23/2023- At large v. At Large- Payout $1,350,000
Myrtle Beach 12/16/2023- CUSA, MAC, Sun Belt, At-Large

Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean everyone feels the same. Few better places to be than nyc during Xmas time. Other Big Ten fans don’t mind the cold because they’re used to it. Add top notch restaurants, Broadway, and Museums, and you have a venue 2nd to none. I hope the bowl fills their bank account. Yankeees need All the help they can get.
Al. I was just talking about the Steinbrenner kid's. I'm not a crazy Mets fan commentating. I'm a Yankees fan. I've never told anyone not to go but I have given the facts why it's not a favorite of many, period.

Are you serious? Marylands qb has thrown for 3K yards with 22 TDS and 10 ints. They are a far better matchup for a PAC 12 Team, because they can keep up offensively.
WGAS, WGAF. I would bet he opts out and does not play. He seems like that type.

Our style fits the pinstripe better with the possible bad weather and low to no scoring.
Is this the same rutgersal who is the epitome of positivity?

Bowl Payouts:
Quick Lane $2,200,000
Las Vegas $2,900,000
Music City $5,700,000

Again who cares what the bowl payout is?? We get a share of all bowl games combined.

Bowl Payouts:
Quick Lane $2,200,000
Las Vegas $2,900,000
Music City $5,700,000

Baseball Stadium, taking subway, end of December, no tailgating, is nobodies favorite as a bowl game. It’s just not. NYC hotels also exceedingly more expensive as are flights.
Far better off doing the RU away game for NYC trip.

Random predictions:

247 has Rutgers and Ga Tech in Pinstripe, Wisconsin in Music City and Maryland vs. USC (without Caleb Williams) in the Vegas Bowl and Kansas v Northwestern in the Guaranteed Rate Bowl.

To the genius who said bowl payouts go to the conference- You don't say? But why would Rutgers want $16,071 versus $314,000 and next to zero travel costs playing in NYC?

I heard yesterday it's the Pinstripe Bowl...RU vs Georgia Tech!
That would be a good match-up, but it’s not true yet. We have another week of football to play out. If it’s meant to be, it’s meant to be.

I heard yesterday it's the Pinstripe Bowl...RU vs Georgia Tech!
How did you hear that bullcrap? Everyone has another game to play. Starting from the top 2 Ohio State at Michigan. There is a good chance the Big Ten doesn't fill their all bowl games. You smell like @Henry Rutgers and the 151 other screen names!! F-ing troll

Last edited:
our offense is a problem. Even if we beat Maryland, the bowl committee could very well choose Maryland. It happened in 2014, and we ended up In Detroit. They want teams that will score points and sell tickets.

I would rather be in Vegas, but would be perfectly content with the Pinstripe, which is appropriate for where we are at. It will get our highest turnout.
We are not beating Maryland. They are starting to figure it out and we are regressing. And we’re the walking wounded. This game is going to be ugly.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
We are not beating Maryland. They are starting to figure it out and we are regressing. And we’re the walking wounded. This game is going to be ugly.
"Starting to figure it out?" In their last 6:

- The lost to OSU (fairly easily)
- lost to Illinois
- lost to NW,
- got HAMMERED by Penn State,
- BARELY got by Nebraska,
- then lost at home to Michigan on Sr Day in, arguably, the single biggest "trap" game of the year in the entire nation (for Michigan).

That's one HELL of a "stretch" right there.

You get to go to The Bahamas...but play in front of about 2,000 fans....the good and the ugly.
The ugly would include a bunch of pasty white NJ people wearing shorts and tank tops and leaving the game as red as a cooked lobster 🦞 😂😂

Starting to figure it out? Yo Tommy, you been hit in the head too many times. Last 5 games:

Ohio State L 37-17 (we played them better than Maryland-196 total yards vs 329 for RU)
Illinois L 27-24 😂
Northwestern L 33-27 😂 We Beat Northwestern
Penn State L 51-15😂 (PSU scored nearly double on them)
Nebraska W-13-10 🙄
Michigan L 31-24

You guys keep wetting your pants over one game for the other team and overlooking all the other facts. Regressing my ass. We just played the #2, #3 and #4 defensive teams in the country.

"Starting to figure it out?" In their last 6:

- The lost to OSU (fairly easily)
- lost to Illinois
- lost to NW,
- got HAMMERED by Penn State,
- BARELY got by Nebraska,
- then lost at home to Michigan on Sr Day in, arguably, the single biggest "trap" game of the year in the entire nation (for Michigan).

That's one HELL of a "stretch" right there.
Great minds think alike!!!!

It's in Charlotte this year and called the something Toastery Bowl, whatever a Toastery is.
??? The Bahamas Bowl is still in The Bahamas (or am I missing the joke?):

Reactions: cicero grimes
Bowls will avoid RU because we’ll shorten the game and the TV is short changed.
It was clear at PSU yesterday there were extended breaks allowing the allotment of commercials to air. You see it in basketball too…if no stoppage at a scheduled TO they stop it not too much later anyway ‘just because’.

Reactions: RAC93
Random predictions:

247 has Rutgers and Ga Tech in Pinstripe, Wisconsin in Music City and Maryland vs. USC (without Caleb Williams) in the Vegas Bowl and Kansas v Northwestern in the Guaranteed Rate Bowl.

To the genius who said bowl payouts go to the conference- You don't say? But why would Rutgers want $16,071 versus $314,000 and next to zero travel costs playing in NYC?
i think B1G reimburses teams for bowl expenses out of the pooled payouts

I feel like I'm on a bad acid trip with that website, not that I would know.😵

That link in your post is from May 31, 2023. On October 26, 2023, the announcement was made that the bowl was being moved to Charlotte while the Bahamas stadium was being renovated.

Old Announcement in May:

That link in your post is from May 31, 2023. On October 26, 2023, the announcement was made that the bowl was being moved to Charlotte while the Bahamas stadium was being renovated.

Old Announcement in May:

Well alrighty then, thanks!

i think B1G reimburses teams for bowl expenses out of the pooled payouts
The Big Ten (as do most conferences) allocate a spending budget regardless of location. So every team spends the max! I remember the SL writing a crap piece when we played in Birmingham and never acknowledged their mistake that bowl expenses are paid by each conference. Their complaint was RU spent way too much in Bob Mulcahy fair well. Never retracted that story.

Old Announcement in May:

No shock here!

The Famous Toastery is a local Charlotte area breakfast place, many locations here in NC. This bowl would be in a 15,000 seat stadium on the campus of UNCC. Not being played at Bank of America stadium. 12 mile trip for me, so I would be all in.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
The Famous Toastery is a local Charlotte area breakfast place, many locations here in NC. This bowl would be in a 15,000 seat stadium on the campus of UNCC. Not being played at Bank of America stadium. 12 mile trip for me, so I would be all in.
How do you like Charlotte? Spent a summer there about 30 years ago. Like Wilmington, NC a lot better for the beaches, but more to do in Charlotte.

Wrong
Overwhelming majority fans don’t want the Pinstripe Bowl. Why do you think the B1G continually puts in clauses that limits the number of times B1G teams “are mandated” to come. The “holiday” experience is not what is was in NYC and it’s a one and done for the B1G fanbases.
Warm weather Bowl destinations in real football venues with tailgating events, pep rallies, and great surroundings is what players and fans want.

Starting to figure it out? Yo Tommy, you been hit in the head too many times. Last 5 games:

Ohio State L 37-17 (we played them better than Maryland-196 total yards vs 329 for RU)
Illinois L 27-24 😂
Northwestern L 33-27 😂 We Beat Northwestern
Penn State L 51-15😂 (PSU scored nearly double on them)
Nebraska W-13-10 🙄
Michigan L 31-24

You guys keep wetting your pants over one game for the other team and overlooking all the other facts. Regressing my ass. We just played the #2, #3 and #4 defensive teams in the country.
This.
Tommy boy gun hasn’t watch CFB for the last 6 weeks apparently.

This.
Tommy boy gun hasn’t watch CFB for the last 6 weeks apparently.
Here's some more. Obviously, we need to not have any bad turnovers. See below with what our defense needs to do:

Let's take a quick looks at the Ohio State and PSU opponents
Ohio State:
Taulia 21/41 (51%) 196 yds 1 TD/2 INT; Team Rushing Yards 106 (Taulia 21 yds )
Gavin 10/25 (40%) 129 yds 1 TD/1INT; Team Rushing Yards 232 (Gavin 49 yds)
Mar Defense: Gave up 37 pts
Rut Defense: gave up 28 pts (offense gave up pick 6)

Penn State:
Taulia 29/39 (74%) 285 yds 2 TD/1 INT; Team Rushing -49 yds (Taulia -47 yds)
Gavin 10/16 (62.5%) 130 yds 0 TD/1 INT; Team Rushing 99 yds; (Gavin 31 yds)
Mar Defense: Gave up 51 pts
Rut Defense: Gave up 27 pts

Michigan:
Taulia 21/31 (67%) 247 yds 0 TD/2 INT; Team Rushing 15 yds(Taulia -43 yds)
Gavin 11/21 (52%) 180 yds 1 TD/1 INT; Team Rushing 77 ys (Gavin 28 yds)
Mar Defense: gave up 27 pts (offense gave Michigan 2 safeties)
Rut Defense: gave up 24 pts (Rut Offense gave up a pick 6)

Looking at all of that on paper Rutgers Defense may win this.
Rutgers give up 23 pts/B1G Game, with 79 pts against OSU, PSU and MU
Maryland Defense gives up 27 pts/game, 115 pts against OSU, PSU and MU

Our defense needs to contain their RB Hemby in the passing game- he has 550 receiving yards. If we can sack Taulia and keep him in negative yards, that's another plus.
Their wild card is their goal line battering ram QB, Billy Edwards.

How do you like Charlotte? Spent a summer there about 30 years ago. Like Wilmington, NC a lot better for the beaches, but more to do in Charlotte.
Charlotte is OK and yes lots to do. I live North of Charlotte near the lake. 12 years here and I'm sure much has changed in the last 30 years. I used to live 12 miles from SHI stadium, now 12 miles from Bank of America stadium.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT