ADVERTISEMENT

CVS Contract Extension?

This past recent comments on this post are the real deal. SERIOUSLY, there is no reason to continue to debate the CVS, go or stay issue anymore. The bottom line for posters that believe CVS should stay and be given a chance to show what she can do, is either an emotional attachment or basically not knowing all the facts and the history (as I have said in the past...when I constructively criticize CVS, I feel like many posters throw out the facts and ATTACK me like I'm attacking their Mom) These posters are emotionally bias (DMD included....very sad over the top criticizing me twice now and not addressing a poster calling me ABSURB, among other inappropriate posts...and never a following post...very sad DMD).

BOTTOM LINE: If Hobbs gives CVS any extension...our girls (women), fans and the program will suffer for years. If Hobbs has the strength to do his job and has truly investigated the CVS years, he will terminate her this year. She will NOT leave on her own. It is not in her DNA. She truly believes she is NOW a great coach.

Maybe the hundreds of fans in the stands disagree.

Be careful what you wish for.

Someone clearly in love with their own opinion and their mastery of psychoanalysing people on a message board.

Reactions: RUClassof67
while the recent performance is below average the school needs to show some loyalty. The ladies basketball program was the only top program for many years while the men's hoops and football team struggled. Also, while various negative off the field issues came up with men's hoops and football the ladies basketball team had no issues and was a top 25 team most of the time.

Based on that alone I think CVS deserves a chance to go for 1000 wins next season and leave on a high note

Plus it would look really bad if we let her go and she becomes coach of another school that shows success and becomes better than Rutgers. Just say she goes to Monmouth and makes them a top 25 team. That would be embarrassing. .

I will start by saying that I am in the camp that wants CVS to stay. I do believe that next years team will be better with her as coach and that if she is forced out at the end of this year, we will not only have a new coaching staff, but also will lose players. Tyler, in particular, may not want to play for another college coach at this point and over the years, many more women's college basketball players transfer than they used to. Look at what happened a few years ago at UNC. They lost most of their players due to the threat of sanctions. I know I am in the minority, but I really believe that Julie Herman had a big role in the downward trend in this program. All of CVS's assistants left at once and I can't imagine Vivian getting rid of Tasha, Chelsea and Tia at the same time of her own volition, nor could I see them abandoning CVS. These three coaches were her primary recruiters. They knew how to best sell RU. None of her new assistants had ever attended RU nor played for CVS. She was left with assistants that did not know her system. At least the new assistant she hired this season knows it as she played for her at Iowa. Last year she had to take her eye off the ball and rely on her assistants more as her mother was dying. I want to see how next season plays out and how well we recruit to replace the players we will lose at the end of next year. I also don't discount the contribution of transfers. As just one example, look at Lexi Brown's contribution at Duke. She may be the best player in the ACC this year.

Reactions: MADHAT1
This program has gone from a perennial top 10, premier basketball program to an afterthought. No once considers RU a top program now, and we are in the same class as Seton Hall (hopefully), Wagner, and other mid-majors. This is a shame. At any other school the coach would be long gone. We we would re-up with CVS, and not bring in new blood to at least try to change things around, is a mystery.

while the recent performance is below average the school needs to show some loyalty. The ladies basketball program was the only top program for many years while the men's hoops and football team struggled. Also, while various negative off the field issues came up with men's hoops and football the ladies basketball team had no issues and was a top 25 team most of the time.

Based on that alone I think CVS deserves a chance to go for 1000 wins next season and leave on a high note

Plus it would look really bad if we let her go and she becomes coach of another school that shows success and becomes better than Rutgers. Just say she goes to Monmouth and makes them a top 25 team. That would be embarrassing. .
CVS deserves the boot out based on overall current performance.Rutgers does not need to allow her to make 1000 wins at the expense of her dying fan base.

Reactions: RizwranIII

lol

I will start by saying that I am in the camp that wants CVS to stay. I do believe that next years team will be better with her as coach and that if she is forced out at the end of this year, we will not only have a new coaching staff, but also will lose players. Tyler, in particular, may not want to play for another college coach at this point and over the years, many more women's college basketball players transfer than they used to. Look at what happened a few years ago at UNC. They lost most of their players due to the threat of sanctions. I know I am in the minority, but I really believe that Julie Herman had a big role in the downward trend in this program. All of CVS's assistants left at once and I can't imagine Vivian getting rid of Tasha, Chelsea and Tia at the same time of her own volition, nor could I see them abandoning CVS. These three coaches were her primary recruiters. They knew how to best sell RU. None of her new assistants had ever attended RU nor played for CVS. She was left with assistants that did not know her system. At least the new assistant she hired this season knows it as she played for her at Iowa. Last year she had to take her eye off the ball and rely on her assistants more as her mother was dying. I want to see how next season plays out and how well we recruit to replace the players we will lose at the end of next year. I also don't discount the contribution of transfers. As just one example, look at Lexi Brown's contribution at Duke. She may be the best player in the ACC this year.

actually Julie is the reason that RU isnt on the hook for ONE MILLION PLUS for CVS...give Julie credit for making the contract incentive based and reducing salary. It was up to CVS to produce and she didnt or the thinking was she would retire. RU is not a charity doling out 6 year contracts at one million plus for a coach who is past her prime

Not saying this is an exact parallel, but I offer the following for your consideration.

Claudio Ranieri is the head coach of Leicester in the English Premiership soccer league. Last year Leicester, a historically weak and underfunded team, shocked the world by winning the title as 5000 to 1 underdogs. Probably the greatest sports upset of our generation.

This year Leicester is struggling and may get relegated. Ranieri, despite last year's incredible accomplishment, is very much on the hot seat. Unless he turns it around immediately, he could be fired within weeks if not days.

As I said, not an exact parallel. But the point is clear - no one is promised anything and loyalty only goes so far. What have you done for me lately.

- we lost by 37 points to 8-19 Illinois so enough with the "stat" crap about our D

- countless #'s of programs - LITERALLY DOZENS AND DOZENS - have surpassed us

- she's not reaching her 1000th next year. Forget it.

- it's time to move on. Honor her - for EVERYTHING she has done - but it's time for a fresh start. Sorry guys.

Reactions: bac2therac
Funny how quickly so many posters here jumped off the Seton Hall-Tony Bozzella bandwagon. I guess a 4-13 BE Conference record will do that.

actually Julie is the reason that RU isnt on the hook for ONE MILLION PLUS for CVS...give Julie credit for making the contract incentive based and reducing salary. It was up to CVS to produce and she didnt or the thinking was she would retire. RU is not a charity doling out 6 year contracts at one million plus for a coach who is past her prime
Great

Next season CViv will have Tyler Scaife back along with two top 100 recruits that are sitting out their transfer year, Stasha Carey & Ciani Cryor, she will also have Kathleen Fitzpatrick who scored 110 three pointers in her prior two seasons. Twenty + wins next season is very attainable.

Next season CViv will have Tyler Scaife back along with two top 100 recruits that are sitting out their transfer year, Stasha Carey & Ciani Cryor, she will also have Kathleen Fitzpatrick who scored 110 three pointers in her prior two seasons. Twenty + wins next season is very attainable.

"very"?

The cut in salary negotiations started before Hermann took over and Stringer knew she would have to accept a incentive laden contract if it was going to be done.
CVS can make over $1 million a year if she reached the incentives.
Obviously that didn't happen, but pretty sure she made the APR one and maybe another or two.
When Pernetti was the AD he seemed to be taking a harder stance than Julie did, but might have set the stage for compromise and made it easier for Herman to get it done.

Stringer's base salary of $550,000 is the same as she has been receiving since 2011.
It's the add-ons ( except for the$ 150,000 in additional compensation from television and marketing revenue) that were taken away and incentives put in their place

Just think of how good the men's team would be with 3 or 4 more good shooters.

I didn't mention the money because I don't believe paying CVS less has anything to do with her efforts to win games. I don't have a problem with incentive based contracts. I just think Julie was instrumental in the assistants mass exit - which I don't think was a good thing and IMO was / is a very important part of why the program is where it is now.

Someone clearly in love with their own opinion and their mastery of psychoanalysing people on a message board.
Thank you for your sarcastic reply. I guess I may be using reverse psychology. Very sad. It really is not worth anyone's time to answer the sad sarcastic posters.
Oldtimer...you are the most sarcastic poster. I feel sorry for you and anyone, including the other posters that have to deal w your sarcasm. So very sad!

Plus it would look really bad if we let her go and she becomes coach of another school that shows success and becomes better than Rutgers. Just say she goes to Monmouth and makes them a top 25 team. That would be embarrassing. .[/QUOTE) You do not think letting her continue to coach and make the top 25 once in recent history is not enough loyality. How about the loyalty to the fans, that have voiced their opinion by the game attendance numbers going down and down. And more importantly, the loyalty to the players that dedicate a large portion of their lives to represent RU on the court. At this point it is not being unloyal to allow CVS to take at least 2 more seasons to achieve a now water downed 1000 win plateau.

Not saying this is an exact parallel, but I offer the following for your consideration.

Claudio Ranieri is the head coach of Leicester in the English Premiership soccer league. Last year Leicester, a historically weak and underfunded team, shocked the world by winning the title as 5000 to 1 underdogs. Probably the greatest sports upset of our generation.

This year Leicester is struggling and may get relegated. Ranieri, despite last year's incredible accomplishment, is very much on the hot seat. Unless he turns it around immediately, he could be fired within weeks if not days.

As I said, not an exact parallel. But the point is clear - no one is promised anything and loyalty only goes so far. What have you done for me lately.
I like most of your post except, "What have you done for me lately" has no relevance to CVS's coaching over recent history.

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last season fell one game short and the year before was a 20 win season.
This season is the exception to the rule, not something to expect to happen again.
And what about a program that Not Being in the top 25 was the exception and now in recent years Being in the top 25 is the exception?
All things are relative.
We were once a top program. But now we are a team and a coach that many programs we regularly beat have passed by.

There are no facts that suggest CVS will ever bring RU back to the top program days.

Thank you for your sarcastic reply. I guess I may be using reverse psychology. Very sad. It really is not worth anyone's time to answer the sad sarcastic posters.
Oldtimer...you are the most sarcastic poster. I feel sorry for you and anyone, including the other posters that have to deal w your sarcasm. So very sad!

It was not sarcasm.

I didn't mention the money because I don't believe paying CVS less has anything to do with her efforts to win games. I don't have a problem with incentive based contracts. I just think Julie was instrumental in the assistants mass exit - which I don't think was a good thing and IMO was / is a very important part of why the program is where it is now.

i do not think the assistants did much but be yes women for CVS...do you really think they gave her pointers. The huge losses for the program came when Mitchell left and prior when Staley

RU still has Michelle Edwards and Betsy Yonkman on the sidelines and they are very familiar with RU, I imagine RU is paying them a good amount

proof of that other than wishful thinking because RU struggled last year with 3 WNBA talents including Tyler...now all of a sudden they are winning 20 plus???? When was the last time the program beat a ranked program of merit in the league, not Maryland, not Ohio State right....CVS is like 2-30 against top 25 or some ridiculous stat, so you think RU is going from 6 wins to 23 in just one season...sorry its not Cappie coming like that one year...and that year had tons more talent that she joined.

RU had Jeune and Parker and Sanders who were top 100 talent and what did that get them

- we lost by 37 points to 8-19 Illinois so enough with the "stat" crap about our D

- countless #'s of programs - LITERALLY DOZENS AND DOZENS - have surpassed us

- she's not reaching her 1000th next year. Forget it.

- it's time to move on. Honor her - for EVERYTHING she has done - but it's time for a fresh start. Sorry guys.

RU went from a top 20 program to a bottom 10 program among the power 6 conferences..thats quite a tremendous fall in a few years.

not only did she lose to Illinois, but Nebraska and Wisconsin are two of the most hideous teams this year. the former lost their coach in some scandal and I believe Illinois also had a coach fired over some scandal and Wisky has been the big 10 whipping girl for years.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
RU went from a top 20 program to a bottom 10 program among the power 6 conferences..thats quite a tremendous fall in a few years.

not only did she lose to Illinois, but Nebraska and Wisconsin are two of the most hideous teams this year. the former lost their coach in some scandal and I believe Illinois also had a coach fired over some scandal and Wisky has been the big 10 whipping girl for years.
I don't care about your point - we disagree on Vivian, not on the fact that those are terrible losses. But I do dislike the casual trashing of other programs:
- Nebraska did replace their coach. She was perceived as too tough, there were folks connected to the program that didn't agree. School took the easy way out.
- Wisconsin has been horrible and still is - but they did fire the coach and did hire Jonathan Tsipis, who is considered one of the up and coming young head coach - he had great success at GW. Alas, no one year turn-a-round.
- Illinois has had some accusations, and an assistant coach was fired, but that was a couple of years ago. Presumably the ship has been righted, although they are not very good. They may need to change the coach as well, at some point..

i do not think the assistants did much but be yes women for CVS...do you really think they gave her pointers. The huge losses for the program came when Mitchell left and prior when Staley

RU still has Michelle Edwards and Betsy Yonkman on the sidelines and they are very familiar with RU, I imagine RU is paying them a good amount
They may or may not have "given her pointers", but that isn't where I think they gave her value. They knew her system, her expectations, the type of players she liked to work with, so they could help her recruit better, already had the recruiting connections set up and knew the players on the team's strengths and weaknesses. I think CVS trusted them. Michelle and Betsy are not considered coachs. I do agree with you that Stanley and Mitchell leaving were big losses for CVS as was losing Law, but they did not all leave at once and all left for better positions, not same level positions at different programs, so I believe Newton, Jackson and Pointer were forced out. I don't believe any of the other three were.

I don't care about your point - we disagree on Vivian, not on the fact that those are terrible losses. But I do dislike the casual trashing of other programs:
- Nebraska did replace their coach. She was perceived as too tough, there were folks connected to the program that didn't agree. School took the easy way out.
- Wisconsin has been horrible and still is - but they did fire the coach and did hire Jonathan Tsipis, who is considered one of the up and coming young head coach - he had great success at GW. Alas, no one year turn-a-round.
- Illinois has had some accusations, and an assistant coach was fired, but that was a couple of years ago. Presumably the ship has been righted, although they are not very good. They may need to change the coach as well, at some point..

Wisconsin, Illinois and Nebraska are all bad programs right now. Nebraska went from a top 10 team for a couple years to the bottom with what happened to the coach but the other two programs are really really bad. Consider who we have as coach and who those programs have as coaches and how much we are paying and how much they are paying. Even with CVS decline in recruiting I bet RU's players were higher rated than the Illinois and Wisconsin players. We have players like Jeune and Sanders who have not lived up to their recruit rankings, which is the norm the last 8 years or so around here...now we have people clinging to next year as some sort of awakening that things will be different..what does that mean..if the team wins 17-18 games what happens the next year when Tyler is gone and the team falls back

is the end game just to let CVS get 1000...did not know that RU womens fans are looking out for her interests soley and not the schools because apparently that is what is going on here

Spot-on my friend. How people don't understand THIS is absolutely mind-boggling.

Why support CVS at the same time she is further destroying the Rutgers womens bb program. Hobb's spent $750,000 on having a wrestling match at Yankee stadium and he continues the process of extending cVS's contract.

Spot-on my friend. How people don't understand THIS is absolutely mind-boggling.
when you're having a terrible year, losses like this are part of it.
Trying to make CVS deserve to be fired for this year's record and play is reasonable.
But that's if you feel this year will be repeated next season.
For some of us we do not and feel the 2016-17 season is an exception to the rule, just like the 2001-02 season was.

Trying to make CVS deserve to be fired for this year's record and play is reasonable.
For some of us we do not and feel the 2016-17 season is an exception to the rule, just like the 2001-02 season was.

"year"? We will have made 1 - ONE - NCAA tournament in the last 5 years, once this disastrous season is over, and have gone OUT, 1-AND-DONE, OUT, 1-AND-DONE, in our past 4 appeances since Sweet 16 run in 2009. 'Nuff said. I was just citing examples of the disaster that this has become (yes, the NIT title was "nice," for sure...).

Wisconsin, Illinois and Nebraska are all bad programs right now. Nebraska went from a top 10 team for a couple years to the bottom with what happened to the coach but the other two programs are really really bad. Consider who we have as coach and who those programs have as coaches and how much we are paying and how much they are paying. Even with CVS decline in recruiting I bet RU's players were higher rated than the Illinois and Wisconsin players. We have players like Jeune and Sanders who have not lived up to their recruit rankings, which is the norm the last 8 years or so around here...now we have people clinging to next year as some sort of awakening that things will be different..what does that mean..if the team wins 17-18 games what happens the next year when Tyler is gone and the team falls back

is the end game just to let CVS get 1000...did not know that RU womens fans are looking out for her interests soley and not the schools because apparently that is what is going on here
Well, Wisconsin is paying its new coach $633,000 this season. Bollant at Illinois makes in the $350,000+ range base salary. FWIW.

No, I don't see an end game of getting CVS 1000 wins. I do think RU will both be better next year and better under CVS than not (potential player losses, coach has players she didn't recruit etc. - 1st years are often tough). I don't see a deep NCAA run and am not even willing to claim an NCAA berth - but I pretty much believe the many varied claims of at least .500, possibly better, To me, that is the put up or shut up season, the more promising (or not) the future is would - at that point - drive a change.

The converse is, if the 1000 was not in the mix, I would be in the "make the change as soon as the right candidate is available". Wisconsin sure got a good one. Since it is, I think is needs to be factored in, not as an "end game", but as one of the various factors being considered.

Cappie is the best player RU ever had...yes significantly better than Tyler...and she had a very strong group to join including Chelsea..not the same situation. That team was bad because they had only 6-7 players...hmm whose fault was that.

of course next year will not be as bad....they are going 6-24....Tyler and the transfers are good for at least 10 wins which puts them around 500, then what....CVS isnt winning 25 games next year meaning she has to come back for another year with Tyler gone and recruiting dried up..see how we keep pushing this because some feel bad that she will not get 1000 wins...and Tara who was way behind her swooped past her on the 1000 win acheivement

Cappie is the best player RU ever had...yes significantly better than Tyler...and she had a very strong group to join including Chelsea..not the same situation. That team was bad because they had only 6-7 players...hmm whose fault was that.

of course next year will not be as bad....they are going 6-24....Tyler and the transfers are good for at least 10 wins which puts them around 500, then what....CVS isnt winning 25 games next year meaning she has to come back for another year with Tyler gone and recruiting dried up..see how we keep pushing this because some feel bad that she will not get 1000 wins...and Tara who was way behind her swooped past her on the 1000 win achievement
The 2016-17 team has injuries and players not eligible to play yet because of transfer rules.
With all playing next season, who knows how many games will be won.
So there is a reason to be optimistic and if CVS wins over 20 and makes the NCAA Tourney next season : Hobbs will be proven right in bringing Vivian back after this disastrous year and will be right to help her obtain 1000 in the 2018-19 season ( if that number isn't reached in the 2017-18 season).

So far no one really knows what Hobbs will do.
Some hope CVS comes back to prove she still can win and get 1000, others want her gone.
Only one side will be happy once Hobbs makes his decision: but I hope everyone accepts what he decides and tries to find something to be optimistic about, be it over a new RU WBB HC or Vivian returning for another year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT