ADVERTISEMENT

Etou transferring

Wow, that news has been out about three minutes. Nicely done, OP.

Anyway, I know folks here run hot and cold on Etou, but I always thought he was a big chip. Frustrating some times, I'm sure, but for a guy his size, I think he's got some unusual skills.

Here is RU's official release.

PISCATAWAY, N.J. (March 27, 2015) - Rutgers University sophomore forward Junior Etou (Republic of Congo) has informed the coaching staff of his intent to transfer and has been granted a release.

"Junior is a quality young man and we appreciate his contributions to our program," said head coach Eddie Jordan. "We wish him the best moving forward."

Etou played in 31 contests this past season. He averaged 7.4 points and 6.6 rebounds-per-game.

Hate to hear this. While he hasn't set the world on fire, he has shown some flashes of potential.

Not a huge loss but now Eddie's guys are bailing on him. There really is no hope for this program under the current regime.

Originally posted by DOB6363:
Why?

" e tu" Brute" Guy seemed like he wasn't happy so let him go be happy somehere else. Rutgers only winning 9-10 games next year anyway they can do that with or without Etou.

Not totally surprised as this was hinted at. This is on Eddie and doesn't make his job easier although really was a nonfactor...the good news is that it opens up another scholorship

No seniors on the 2016 team. Honestly maybe Mike Brey was right as much as hate to say it, we'd probably be better off if we saved our money for a couple years and upgraded the program because this program is just too embarrassing to follow sometimes. Half serious and half kidding.

Originally posted by Raritan83:

Originally posted by Rufaninga:
I think we have as many 1 & Dones as Kentucky...
He was here two years
Maybe that is how Jordan sells it, you can come to RU and play right away because we are bound to have 2-3 transfers every year.

and when a few of us were discussing his body language and apparent lack of focus/interest some said we were reaching on this. All was great between couch and E2.

No surprise here. can't wait to hear where he goes. mixed feelings. complete start over AGAIN next year....

big question is who's next? (I wouldn't bet against it)
This post was edited on 3/27 3:18 PM by 1984

Originally posted by bac2therac:
Not totally surprised as this was hinted at. This is on Eddie and doesn't make his job easier although really was a nonfactor...the good news is that it opens up another scholorship
Don't we have trouble even filling our current scholarships?

Any other transfers?

How many ships? Can we fill them at this date?

Disappointed to hear this.

IMHO Rutgers took a chance on this kid when a lot of schools didn't bother (due to the questions about his eligibility). Seeing him bail makes me question his character.

And FWIW, I personally had no issue with guys like Gil, Eli, or even Rosario transferring. Those guys "took a chance on Rutgers" from my POV. I could be wrong of course, but that is the way it looks to me from the outside.

Listen do you really think the kid was goibg to be a difference maker...I didnt....we need far better talent and mentally tougher players here than Etou to move things forward

Listen do you really think the kid was goibg to be a difference maker...I didnt....we need far better talent and mentally tougher players here than Etou to move things forward
Difference maker? No but a piece, yes. At some point we just need to keep filling the roster with solid pieces to compete. Was never lighting the scoreboard but could defend and rebound. You need those two things. We weren't going to win next year but now it will be even less.

If Eddie Jordan turns Rutgers around, it will be a great story. But the chances he can pull it off, based upon years 1 & 2, our slim & none. And slim is getting really, really tiny

would have to agree. Appeared to be more part of the problem than part of the solution. Just wish he had turned on and kept on that switch inside him.

Originally posted by 1984:
would have to agree. Appeared to be more part of the problem than part of the solution. Just wish he had turned on and kept on that switch inside him.
We seem to say that about everyone. Seagears last year was really going to be addition by subtraction

tired of guys coming in and then, if decent, getting secretly recruited or hearing "whispers" and then bailing...

I know transfers happen at every program, but we seem to lose our best that way, which is why we can never get this thing going...

College bball is just such a cesspool...

Good luck to Etou. It is obvious based on this decision that his personal near term basketball goals don't match what is being offered from Rutgers at the current time. I hope he finds the right program to help him meet those goals.

Huge loss. No way around it. Best rebounder on team with offensive skillset but the kid didn't want to be here so wish him well and move on. It's a shame he would have played a bigger role in the offense next season. Like prior poster stated RU and Eddie were there for him when he had his eligibility issues. No loyalty.

GO RU

We all knew this was coming. The question is why. Who knows? Just one in a long line of our best current player leaving. Really, I think we need to hire Masiello who earns his pay check night in and night out. Our guy, I just don't see it.

Oh well. Not as consistent as we would've liked but maybe that was because half the offense was for mack and jack the whole year. Etou is a player, but not mentally or game consistent.

I saw him walk around campus sometimes. Big ego on etou.

We know he will blossom some where else. He is big, strong, and can bound the ball. Masiello would make a player of him.

Complete waste of two years. No better off than when Rice was canned.

Originally posted by Raritan83:

Difference maker? No but a piece, yes. At some point we just need to keep filling the roster with solid pieces to compete. Was never lighting the scoreboard but could defend and rebound. You need those two things. We weren't going to win next year but now it will be even less.
+1. Not a big surprise, but this sucks. He's an above-average rebounder/defender with size, and a decent perimeter shot.

Not only do we have trouble recruiting top talent, but we also manage to continually lose starters to transfer. FML.

Originally posted by Mr Magoo:
Complete waste of two years. No better off than when Rice was canned.
So then we can call this year 1 right?

all the returnees put together averaged 22.6 point per game this year, this is worst than any time before. the 15-16 season will set RU mbb back another 10 years.we need new energy and a commitment to throw some $$$ at this program

bac nails it...

Eddie is going to build the program around the three sophs and the five frosh

Needs to get the lockeroom on the same page next year...step one.

Have a feeling some will say it's year one until he is finally gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT