ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 18 IOWA: Better team won

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
First game at the RAC the game just came down to play, a made basket, a stop, a missed free throw, a made free throw. Could not get too disappointed in that. After watching tonight's game, a pretty disjointed uneven performance by RU where they never got their traction for various reasons I am going to say we just got beat by a better team. Iowa is better than Rutgers. Two games, two losses, I have seen enough. Nothing wrong with that. We know RU is not the best team in the league or a Big 10 title contender. We do know that RU can beat any team in this league on any given night. RU is in the standings basically where they fit. RU is a top half of the league but in that middle position of 6-9. Nothing more nothing less. That is okay. We do not have an All American mational player of the year candidate. We do not have multiple or even one legit consistent 3 point threat. Still what stood out in this game is that Iowa had an answer for everything in this game. Everytime RU got to 10 or 8 or 6, they would hit a big 3 and RU was left scrapping to get it back and chip away but RU never was able to get it under 6 in the 2nd half. Just way too many options on offense and to Iowa's credit, they had guys step up tonight, unfortunately RU did not. In their limited opportunity to really cut into the lead, Baker and Harper missed wide open 3 pointers. You will not beat a team like Iowa by not hitting those big shots. Say what you want about Fran but the guy is an excellent offensive coach. His charges know exactly where they need to be. They do not hesitate, their passing is crisp and on point and move the ball in the way it needs to be. For all the criticism he gets for Iowa being a poor defensive team, they certainly did a good job negating anything RU threw at them early and by the time RU got hot, the game was already out of reach.

I am going to credit RU for basically playing Iowa evenly in the 2nd half. RU competed, they didnt compete in the first half. They let foul trouble effect their play yet again, not learning their lesson. They turned it over way too much and once again a couple of bench players fell in love with just some poor decisions on the offensive end trying to do too much. So if we can take any positives, its that RU did not curl up and get blown out. They fought and made Iowa have to rewin the game again with some big shots and Iowa did. As far as the foul issues, yes those were questionable calls on Myles and yet when Myles came in the 2nd half and he was ineffective. Cliff actually played well in his time. What I did not like was continuing to lose composure over foul situations. In a game where RU is just down 6 or 8 in the first half and Myles on the bench, there was way too much pressing to try and make a play that was not there. By the time this team start to play smart and stabilize toward the latter part of the first half, the game was basically over and RU had dug too much of a hole. You cannot trade baskets with Iowa in a comeback. If you are not turning them over like we did last year in an illfated comeback you got to make your big open shots.

Got to make shots. That is the name of the game. At one point, RU was 2-20 from 3 and quite a bit of them were absolutely wide open, meanwhile Iowa smoothly made 3s guarded or not guarded. Garza hit from 3 and Weiskemp just shredded RU all night. Iowa came in on a bad streak. Look they were due for a win, RU was not going to beat them not playing their best. What impressed me about Iowa was their other pieces on the team were not flashy but did all the little things including boarding up and not turning it over and you contrast that to RU which didnt seem to have that hustle for the boards tonight

As for the refs, some bad calls on Myles certainly contributed to the struggles early but RU made plenty of mistakes on their own so again save the ref argument for someone else. When RU had their chances they did not take advantage, end of story.

No time to hang your head, its one game, one loss and this was our 2nd toughest of our last 7. Northwestern is up next and that is a pivotal game to get back on track. Not too concerned about this loss on the teams psyche at all.

Better team today no doubt. I just wish we could rediscover that RU offense from mid-December.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
That offense worked well in the beginning of the season as RHJ was money on the floor...it
Opened everything up for us

BAC- Once again great recap.Iowa is a bad match up for Rutgers because they score at a high level which Rutgers has difficulty matching.The lack of scoring from Harper is a big concern because he was scoring over 20 points a game in the beginning of the season.The end result is that Rutgers is having great difficulty scoring 70 points which is needed to defeat B1G teams at the top of league rankings.

BAC- Once again great recap.Iowa is a bad match up for Rutgers because they score at a high level which Rutgers has difficulty matching.The lack of scoring from Harper is a big concern because he was scoring over 20 points a game in the beginning of the season.The end result is that Rutgers is having great difficulty scoring 70 points which is needed to defeat B1G teams at the top of league rankings.
It would be a good match up for us if they would let Myles play. We have the best defensive center in the league and he could slow down Garza. You're just not going to o win games when what is supposed to be your best offensive player plays like RHJ has been.

Burn the tape and move on.

The 4-foul Iowa possession early in the 2nd half was written by Larry David. The calls weren't even that bad, it was just like... Rutgers gets elbowed in the face? Nope, foul on Rutgers.

yep but before that elbow no call, RU just wasted two fouls on an inbound, they literally told Mathis "we are going to call a foul on you. back up a bit" but nope Mathis was going to Mathis anyhow

5 minutes left down 9. Stat on screen
Iowa 9-19
RU 2-19

up until that point without hesitation I’d say rutgers looks from 3 were much cleaner than Iowa. Despite that we were a -21. (7 times 3=21).

players go thru slumps. They are slumps, these 2 players aren’t bad shooters.

this is when you want slumps.

I promise they will come out of it.

Iowa is not a better team than us. They are soft and play without heart.

the biggest foul of the game might have been Mathis’s 4th. He came out and then Weiskamp went back to work

Keep in mind, Iowa came into tonight with the worst scoring defense in the B1G.

Comes down to offense and we don’t seems to care very much about generating it as a coaching staff.

BAC didn't bring his A game review. Game was lost early on with ridiculous foul call against Myles, Can you really blame RU for thinking here it goes again? Fault and blame on PIke who has to protect his players. He has to get in ref's face. Myles deserves respect. Maybe if Pike does, ref calls out Garza for awful flop on 3rd foul. Garza throwing elbows left and right no fouls. We are good but not that good to recover from awful officiating.

Refs were awful again and such a significant advantage for Iowa both in fouls against best players and foul shooting. BAC and others will ignore it and claim not a real factor but Iowa was 16 for 20 from the line. RU was 4 for 6. Yes 4 for 6! 14 point difference. Iowa won by 13, Nothing to see here? RU kidding me?

Mathis gets abused like a pinball and no call. McConnell gets wrist grabbed no call. Garza walks every other play. No call. PIke has to stop the choir boy crap. Work the refs! Calhoun worked the refs!

Cliff had nice minutes against best player in country,. Nice game for him!
Mulcahy is tough!

While McConnell struggled shooting everything else he did was great including effort. Young plays great D and again hit some threes. I want ball in Geo's hands a bit more. Not a bad game for him.

Harper has hurt us for a month now. Time to sit him. If his shot isn't going, his effort falls off significantly. Might be time for him to be microwave off the bench for instant O as right now he is a negative and awful body language. So passive and torched by Weiskamp. Maybe go small with Young or big with Cliff.

Last edited:
yep but before that elbow no call, RU just wasted two fouls on an inbound, they literally told Mathis "we are going to call a foul on you. back up a bit" but nope Mathis was going to Mathis anyhow

I was curious about that play. Mathis was clearly trying to stay between Weiskamp and Garza on the inbound... is it legal for them to sandwich him like that before the inbounds pass? I don't know what the refs were saying, but at the time it looked like they were saying the Iowa players had to allow him to guard Weiskamp. Then Weiskamp just rubbed Mathis off on Garza's ass, and Mathis was caught with his arm out on Weiskamp.

Mathis couldn't back up there, because Garza was behind him. He could have stood to the left or right of Weiskamp, which would have been screening himself away from Weiskamp with Garza in the way. Not sure what the best place would have been for him in that situation.

First game at the RAC the game just came down to play, a made basket, a stop, a missed free throw, a made free throw. Could not get too disappointed in that. After watching tonight's game, a pretty disjointed uneven performance by RU where they never got their traction for various reasons I am going to say we just got beat by a better team. Iowa is better than Rutgers. Two games, two losses, I have seen enough. Nothing wrong with that. We know RU is not the best team in the league or a Big 10 title contender. We do know that RU can beat any team in this league on any given night. RU is in the standings basically where they fit. RU is a top half of the league but in that middle position of 6-9. Nothing more nothing less. That is okay. We do not have an All American mational player of the year candidate. We do not have multiple or even one legit consistent 3 point threat. Still what stood out in this game is that Iowa had an answer for everything in this game. Everytime RU got to 10 or 8 or 6, they would hit a big 3 and RU was left scrapping to get it back and chip away but RU never was able to get it under 6 in the 2nd half. Just way too many options on offense and to Iowa's credit, they had guys step up tonight, unfortunately RU did not. In their limited opportunity to really cut into the lead, Baker and Harper missed wide open 3 pointers. You will not beat a team like Iowa by not hitting those big shots. Say what you want about Fran but the guy is an excellent offensive coach. His charges know exactly where they need to be. They do not hesitate, their passing is crisp and on point and move the ball in the way it needs to be. For all the criticism he gets for Iowa being a poor defensive team, they certainly did a good job negating anything RU threw at them early and by the time RU got hot, the game was already out of reach.

I am going to credit RU for basically playing Iowa evenly in the 2nd half. RU competed, they didnt compete in the first half. They let foul trouble effect their play yet again, not learning their lesson. They turned it over way too much and once again a couple of bench players fell in love with just some poor decisions on the offensive end trying to do too much. So if we can take any positives, its that RU did not curl up and get blown out. They fought and made Iowa have to rewin the game again with some big shots and Iowa did. As far as the foul issues, yes those were questionable calls on Myles and yet when Myles came in the 2nd half and he was ineffective. Cliff actually played well in his time. What I did not like was continuing to lose composure over foul situations. In a game where RU is just down 6 or 8 in the first half and Myles on the bench, there was way too much pressing to try and make a play that was not there. By the time this team start to play smart and stabilize toward the latter part of the first half, the game was basically over and RU had dug too much of a hole. You cannot trade baskets with Iowa in a comeback. If you are not turning them over like we did last year in an illfated comeback you got to make your big open shots.

Got to make shots. That is the name of the game. At one point, RU was 2-20 from 3 and quite a bit of them were absolutely wide open, meanwhile Iowa smoothly made 3s guarded or not guarded. Garza hit from 3 and Weiskemp just shredded RU all night. Iowa came in on a bad streak. Look they were due for a win, RU was not going to beat them not playing their best. What impressed me about Iowa was their other pieces on the team were not flashy but did all the little things including boarding up and not turning it over and you contrast that to RU which didnt seem to have that hustle for the boards tonight

As for the refs, some bad calls on Myles certainly contributed to the struggles early but RU made plenty of mistakes on their own so again save the ref argument for someone else. When RU had their chances they did not take advantage, end of story.

No time to hang your head, its one game, one loss and this was our 2nd toughest of our last 7. Northwestern is up next and that is a pivotal game to get back on track. Not too concerned about this loss on the teams psyche at all.

As usual, good points, Bac. RU got a terrible whistle on Myles, but we lost because RU missed wide open shot after wide open shot from 3, while Iowa made a bunch of contested shots from deep and Wieskamp was simply unconscious. I loved the overall effort. RU played hard, but without results because of offensive ineptitude . We are not a particularly good shooting team, but we particularly off tonight. Myles getting in early foul trouble definitely stopped the flow of our offense, which did not help. We also got killed on the boards in the 1st half with Myles on the bench. And McConnell could not put the ball in the ocean. Never seen a guy miss so many wide open jumpers.

5 minutes left down 9. Stat on screen
Iowa 9-19
RU 2-19

up until that point without hesitation I’d say rutgers looks from 3 were much cleaner than Iowa. Despite that we were a -21. (7 times 3=21).

players go thru slumps. They are slumps, these 2 players aren’t bad shooters.

this is when you want slumps.

I promise they will come out of it.

Agree. I don't like hearing that coach said we took too many 3's. Yes, we missed almost all of them tonight. It happens.

If we have a wide open 3, take the 3 point shot. There is no sense in passing up a wide open 3 to then take a really contested 2 point shot.

Best of Luck,
Groz

The refs played a role in setting the tone and made it so we couldn’t dominate the paint. But Iowa was also just “on” hitting contested 3 after contested 3. We couldn’t buy an outside shot and yet we played hard and managed to hang around. It is what it is.

I think an adjustment lesson from today’s game is we need to prepare a plan B offensive plan for the starters in the event Myles should pick up 2 quick fouls again. With RHJ struggling, we need to work the rotations with the other 3 better. Caleb’s really struggling from 3 but his mid-range jumper has looked solid. Why can’t we design a few plays to get him the ball there? Baker also hits that shot at a high percentage. when shots arent falling from 3 we need abandon the 3 and work towards rotations that yield more higher percentage shots.

Agree. I don't like hearing that coach said we took too many 3's. Yes, we missed almost all of them tonight. It happens.

If we have a wide open 3, take the 3 point shot. There is no sense in passing up a wide open 3 to then take a really contested 2 point shot.

Best of Luck,
Groz
I agree. From memory only the Young 3 after his steal was a bad one. Most of the looks were pretty clean.

I’ll be honest I don’t have any issues with the way we played. 2-19 goes to 6-19 I feel we win.

I love Myles but tonight he could have stayed in his dorm room and been just as effective. What a pathetic effort.

He played 4 minutes in the first half and picked up 3 fouls, 2 that were head scratchers. When he came back out in the second half, he was playing hesitant, tentative, and ultimately looked like he was phoning it in.

He needs to find a way to keep his head straight when the whistle turns against him. It got into his head after the OSU game and he came out hot on Twitter, and it looks like it got into his head again tonight and he seemed to give up in the second half.

I love Myles but tonight he could have stayed in his dorm room and been just as effective. What a pathetic effort.
I felt like Iowa knew Myles was apt to push off and they were ready to embellish. No doubt foul 2 and 3 were fouls. 1 was a joke.

I am not sure why Myles didn’t play the last X minutes. Had to be something Pike didn’t like. Similar to Harper I would have thought Myles earned the currency to play through bad games.

Reactions: Arizona Knight
The refs played a role in setting the tone and made it so we couldn’t dominate the paint. But Iowa was also just “on” hitting contested 3 after contested 3. We couldn’t buy an outside shot and yet we played hard and managed to hang around. It is what it is.

I think an adjustment lesson from today’s game is we need to prepare a plan B offensive plan for the starters in the event Myles should pick up 2 quick fouls again. With RHJ struggling, we need to work the rotations with the other 3 better. Caleb’s really struggling from 3 but his mid-range jumper has looked solid. Why can’t we design a few plays to get him the ball there? Baker also hits that shot at a high percentage. when shots arent falling from 3 we need abandon the 3 and work towards rotations that yield more higher percentage shots.

Agree - our offense is so heavily dependent on Johnson playing a significant factor that when he gets taken away, we seem to lose our identity completely and just float around the perimeter hoping to get hot from outside. Need to be able to switch out to a different look if a quick whistle sends Johnson to the bench.

I felt like Iowa knew Myles was apt to push off and they were ready to embellish. No doubt foul 2 and 3 were fouls. 1 was a joke.

I am not sure why Myles didn’t play the last X minutes. Had to be something Pike didn’t like. Similar to Harper I would have thought Myles earned the currency to play through bad games.

1 was a joke, and 3 could have just as easily been a flop warning. 2 was 100% legit.

I agree with everything said here; but the main problem seems to be our lack of understanding that even if Myles is not in the game; we have to work our shots inside the 3-point line first, THEN look to kick out. We have a much better chance of hitting a 10-footer than hoisting up 3's. Just don't get it. Also the lack of the extra pass inside is killing us.

Take the loss but very important to win our next game so we avoid any kind of losing streak.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Not saying this was on the refs but that first one was a joke and we all knew keeping Myles from early foul trouble was of utmost importance.

BAC didn't bring his A game review. Game was lost early on with ridiculous foul call against Myles, Can you really blame RU for thinking here it goes again? Fault and blame on PIke who has to protect his players. He has to get in ref's face. Myles deserves respect. Maybe if Pike does, ref calls out Garza for awful flop on 3rd foul. Garza throwing elbows left and right no fouls. We are good but not that good to recover from awful officiating.

Refs were awful again and such a significant advantage for Iowa both in fouls against best players and foul shooting. BAC and others will ignore it and claim not a real factor but Iowa was 16 for 20 from the line. RU was 4 for 6. Yes 4 for 6! 14 point difference. Iowa won by 13, Nothing to see here? RU kidding me?

Mathis gets abused like a pinball and no call. McConnell gets wrist grabbed no call. Garza walks every other play. No call. PIke has to stop the choir boy crap. Work the refs! Calhoun worked the refs!

Cliff had nice minutes against best player in country,. Nice game for him!
Mulcahy is tough!

While McConnell struggled shooting everything else he did was great including effort. Young plays great D and again hit some threes. I want ball in Geo's hands a bit more. Not a bad game for him.

Harper has hurt us for a month now. Time to sit him. If his shot isn't going, his effort falls off significantly. Might be time for him to be microwave off the bench for instant O as right now he is a negative and awful body language. So passive and torched by Weiskamp. Maybe go small with Young or big with Cliff.
Unbelievable, but only one free throw in the entire second half which Mulcahy missed. Refs definitely affected the game.

The game was won by 3pt shots and Free throws. RU 3pt shot made % = 21.4 v Iowa 47.8. RU FT% made = 66.7% v Iowa’s 80%.

In a way, Iowa winning really doesn't solve anything for them....they didn't necessarily defend well despite what the announcers were saying and the pace of the game was dictated by the refs.

I don't see Weiskamp consistently shooting as well as he did vs RU and we did a pretty reasonable job on Garza (8-20 is more than fine).

I don't quite understand the Mathis criticism.....he actually decided to get into the jersey of Weiskamp and took some pride in trying to stop him. The refs can easily determine how a game is going to be called and why should the refs not understand they're going to try and be closer to Weiskamp?? So.....a player has a 16 point 1st half, do the refs think we should allow him to get 35 points by not guarding him??

Weiskamp shook loose of everyone, Caleb did well and while RHJ tried, he looks completely gassed. If RHJ or Mathis actually fouled Weiskamp shooting a 3, I would probably be fine with it, because they would be in the kids face.....make him actually dribble and then shoot....he just rose up and shot the ball.....which if you take pride in your dedication to defend, you foul him shooting a 3 before giving him airspace.

Onto NW and with Mathis seemingly not passing to Caleb or Cliff and running over Garza for 1 play, I don't know how you solve Mathis unless you start him. He is a 25 to 27 minute a game player, 15 minutes is not enough time for him to have any impact on defense or offense.

If your response is "Mathis isn't playing well", I understand and can't disagree.....but with Harper and Mathis not reaching double figures, it's difficult to see RU getting to 8,9,10 3s made per game unless....

A) Caleb gets to take 6 to 8 3s per game (7 tonight is fine by me, I will take my chances there).

B) We find minutes for Palmquist/Mag/Jones (teams aren't going to guard them based on the scouting reports of games played so far, they (like Mulcahy) will get wide open looks.

C) Mulcahy takes 5 3s a game....I will live with that too.

It's just clear (to me) based on what I have heard on Harper and Baker that neither probably should have been back playing as early as they did. Baker just now looks around 80-85% (vs last year's Baker dunking on Indiana and being explosive) but that's almost 2 months post injury....& Harper is probably at best 65 to 70% of himself post injury, he probably may not be approach or get near 80 to 85% the rest of the season.

Maybe a minute reduction vs Northwestern is in store to let some fresh legs play against NW, for Mag, Palmquist or Jones. Get Harper down to about 16 to 18 minutes to not have him front and center and play a healthier Mag and Mathis (or Jones/Palmquist). Something to lighten the workload for RHJ...

I loved how Mathis played defensively. He has to make a pass on that penetration you described.

there are opponents I get Mathis having minutes reduced. This was not one of them. Young and Mathis were critical on defense.

this was a game I needed to see more of them and less of mulcahy.

Regarding Harper...notice the shot he made....a step back 3.

throughout his shooting slump the one shot he has made and felt comfortable taking were fadeaway shots.

Maybe he needs to spend more time without the basketball and get him on the low blocks posting up.

In a way, Iowa winning really doesn't solve anything for them....they didn't necessarily defend well despite what the announcers were saying and the pace of the game was dictated by the refs.

I don't see Weiskamp consistently shooting as well as he did vs RU and we did a pretty reasonable job on Garza (8-20 is more than fine).

I don't quite understand the Mathis criticism.....he actually decided to get into the jersey of Weiskamp and took some pride in trying to stop him. The refs can easily determine how a game is going to be called and why should the refs not understand they're going to try and be closer to Weiskamp?? So.....a player has a 16 point 1st half, do the refs think we should allow him to get 35 points by not guarding him??

Weiskamp shook loose of everyone, Caleb did well and while RHJ tried, he looks completely gassed. If RHJ or Mathis actually fouled Weiskamp shooting a 3, I would probably be fine with it, because they would be in the kids face.....make him actually dribble and then shoot....he just rose up and shot the ball.....which if you take pride in your dedication to defend, you foul him shooting a 3 before giving him airspace.

Onto NW and with Mathis seemingly not passing to Caleb or Cliff and running over Garza for 1 play, I don't know how you solve Mathis unless you start him. He is a 25 to 27 minute a game player, 15 minutes is not enough time for him to have any impact on defense or offense.

If your response is "Mathis isn't playing well", I understand and can't disagree.....but with Harper and Mathis not reaching double figures, it's difficult to see RU getting to 8,9,10 3s made per game unless....

A) Caleb gets to take 6 to 8 3s per game (7 tonight is fine by me, I will take my chances there).

B) We find minutes for Palmquist/Mag/Jones (teams aren't going to guard them based on the scouting reports of games played so far, they (like Mulcahy) will get wide open looks.

C) Mulcahy takes 5 3s a game....I will live with that too.

It's just clear (to me) based on what I have heard on Harper and Baker that neither probably should have been back playing as early as they did. Baker just now looks around 80-85% (vs last year's Baker dunking on Indiana and being explosive) but that's almost 2 months post injury....& Harper is probably at best 65 to 70% of himself post injury, he probably may not be approach or get near 80 to 85% the rest of the season.

Maybe a minute reduction vs Northwestern is in store to let some fresh legs play against NW, for Mag, Palmquist or Jones. Get Harper down to about 16 to 18 minutes to not have him front and center and play a healthier Mag and Mathis (or Jones/Palmquist). Something to lighten the workload for RHJ...
What exactly is the injury Harper is trying to play through?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT