ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread RU vs Northwestern 1/11/23

I have a lot of questions after this game.

1. What is going on with Caleb?
2. Is Cliff nursing a back injury?
3. What does Pike have to do to get Paul back his calm self and stop with the acting?
4. What’s up with no Wolf?
Caleb didn’t have a good game at NW last year either. Maybe a match up thing?

Thank goodness he got the job done though this time on the last inbounds play. Better the screw up happened with 0.4 seconds on the clock than 6 seconds.

LOL. The league would laugh themselves out of their chairs.
I think they would prefer that he do it that way rather than in the press. He made the same subtle comment about defending the foul line and how many fouls were called when speaking with Hummel after the game.

If I am Pike I am still reviewing the film closely and sending a note to the league about the officiating.

Missi Pyle Karen GIF by MOODMAN

I actually think the refs were fine. Imperfect, as always, and called things very loose in the first half, very tight in the second half, which is hard on the players, but was the same for both teams.

RU was guilty of failing to adjust quickly enough to the refs right from the start of the second half. Our bench keep fouling up high which is always dumb.
There was a really, really bad sequence there that gave juice to NW’s run. Last year RHJ and Geo would start moping and we would have lost.

Difference is this year Cam doesn’t give a frenchman’s and drops bombs

There was a really, really bad sequence there that gave juice to NW’s run. Last year RHJ and Geo would start moping and we would have lost.

Difference is this year Cam doesn’t give a frenchman’s and drops bombs
Yeah, this team keeps a bit more composed, in general. Although both Paul and Caleb seemed off tonight, and Paul was showing a lot of frustration which he hasn’t been doing this season until tonight.

Cam is a pure shooter and his confidence level is through the roof. Great to see.

Agree - the first flop was a good call

But the second was a terrible call - could have arguably been a defensive foul - the defender grazed paul in the body after the shot. No call would have been the best call but call a flop on his 3 -pointer was a total joke
Paul is not getting a call the rest of the season with his acting and complaining.

Caleb didn’t have a good game at NW last year either. Maybe a match up thing?

Thank goodness he got the job done though this time on the last inbounds play. Better the screw up happened with 0.4 seconds on the clock than 6 seconds.
And he learned not to take steps when inbounding

Agree - the first flop was a good call

But the second was a terrible call - could have arguably been a defensive foul - the defender grazed paul in the body after the shot. No call would have been the best call but call a flop on his 3 -pointer was a total joke
Should have been defensive foul
Refs go overboard with flop call well intended rule horribly implemented

I actually think the refs were fine. Imperfect, as always, and called things very loose in the first half, very tight in the second half, which is hard on the players, but was the same for both teams.

RU was guilty of failing to adjust quickly enough to the refs right from the start of the second half. Our bench keep fouling up high which is always dumb.
That in itself is the issue - players shouldn’t have to adjust to the refs in the second half.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
On Paul? It was a good call. He wasn’t touched and he clearly added a lot of dramatic movement that was obviously faked and way too late. The slow motion replay showed it very clearly.
Not really. He body language didn’t depict that someone threw him to the ground. It appeared to me that he slipped and broke his fall with his hand.

Reactions: pmvon
Would they? I actually thought sending calls to the league office for “review” (or being ignored) was standard practice
While there were some bad or missed calls (both ways), there was nothing unusal or bad enough that the league wouldn’t be annoyed to be bothered about it. We just fouled way too much at the start of the second half.

The refs let a ton of contact go in the first half. Coulda called a bunch of fouls on both teams in that half.

Then they suddenly tightened the screws way up in the second half. Started calling every little foul. It’s hard on the players, but a soft foul is still a foul and it’s up to the players to adjust to the refs.

While there were some bad or missed calls (both ways), there was nothing unusal or bad enough that the league wouldn’t be annoyed to be bothered about it. We just fouled way too much at the start of the second half.

The refs let a ton of contact go in the first half. Coulda called a bunch of fouls on both teams in that half.

Then they suddenly tightened the screws way up in the second half. Started calling every little foul. It’s hard on the players, but a soft foul is still a foul and it’s up to the players to adjust to the refs.
Not saying I expect the league to do something, just that I think getting calls to review is normal and they’d hardly “fall out of their chairs laughing”

1. Cliff not usual self last couple of games. continued today.
2. Caleb looks disinterested. Last year he was locked in on Defense. Seems like something is missing this year.
3. Cam saved us.
4. Paul idk what happened today.
5. Hyatt playing better.
6. Mags defense good again.
7. Should have been a 10pt win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT