ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers Hoops vs. Illinois

I was shocked Pike didn’t go off on caleb’s technical. Pushed from behind and natural reaction reaching - in slow motion anything can look like intent.

Paul’s was bad. CM’s was horrible

That was his chance to step up and he just let it go...

Is that why we lost by 22?

Sorry, but if Myles leaves, we're in serious trouble inside. I'm sure Cliff will improve some, but he's just not ready to compete with the top or even middle of the B1G inside and we have nobody else. Reiber and Palmquist are unlikely to ever be more than role players and we don't have anyone else. We absolutely need a transfer big man if Myles doesn't come back (I think he will, though, but nobody knows for sure).
Agree but this is the first season since I've been a fan when I've been able to live in the moment. I just have to assume that we'll fill the gap somehow. We're a more desirable destination than ever. And as Pikiell says you pretty much need to plan that there will be lots of turnover every year. Hoping that we haven't been caught with our pants down and we've been considering the possibility of Myles leaving.

Elmore just said what I've been saying all year. You can tell all about a team by assists.......6!!! 6 assists that is SHIT
Early year they were moving and passing. Then it got selfish and one on one. And Pike has no offensive plans. The horrible inbounds and end game plans are proof enough.
Now the defense and rebound is eroding.

Reactions: SBP
I was shocked Pike didn’t go off on caleb’s technical. Pushed from behind and natural reaction reaching - in slow motion anything can look like intent.

Paul’s was bad. CM’s was horrible

That was his chance to step up and he just let it go...
And what would that accomplish exactly? Having a temper tantrum would make him feel good or something? Caleb nailed a guy in the junk. Total accident? Who knows but these are the rules now. Down 20. No reason to make it worse. Plus, losing Caleb was probably a positive. He's been dreadful.

When you get out rebounded 46-21 you’re probably not going to win. Our guys didn’t rebound. Kofi is gonna tip the scales when he allowed to push everyone but you still need to man up and we didn’t
What do you think Myles does. Unless you see him with his hand on someone, it’s not a foul. You are absolutely allowed to bump people. He is a massive and athletic man.

As soon as Myles picked up his first foul so early we were in trouble. And it was a foul.

Reactions: RW90
As soon as Myles picked up his first foul so early we were in trouble. And it was a foul.
It may have been a foul but the other two fouls that put him in foul trouble were total bull$hit.

Myles did foul. My problem was Kofi not getting called. He should have been sitting on the bench too.
That POS should have been in foul trouble all night. If you're going to call it on Myles then you need to call it on Cofi because he fouled even more on so many plays that were not called.

Sorry, but if Myles leaves, we're in serious trouble inside. I'm sure Cliff will improve some, but he's just not ready to compete with the top or even middle of the B1G inside and we have nobody else. Reiber and Palmquist are unlikely to ever be more than role players and we don't have anyone else. We absolutely need a transfer big man if Myles doesn't come back (I think he will, though, but nobody knows for sure).

Every team deals with that to some extent. What will Illinois be next year without Cofi and Dosumo. Purdue without Traveon Williams or IU with Jackson-Davis. That’s college ball. MJ will be a huge loss but many wouldn’t have predicted that 3 yrs ago.

Every team deals with that to some extent. What will Illinois be next year without Cofi and Dosumo. Purdue without Traveon Williams or IU with Jackson-Davis. That’s college ball. MJ will be a huge loss but many wouldn’t have predicted that 3 yrs ago.
I'm hoping Myles stays.

I hate our defense. We spend too much time helping and not enough time guarding their men. 1st off Kofi sucks. Hes athletic 7ft and 285lbs. Just stand your ground on defense. Play straight behind hin not to either side he has no post moves. You wait until he drives his shouldee into you and go down. He is all brute force. Forget defense he is absolutely terrible on defense. Hes ok if hes the secondary guy in defense as he'll collect the block if its 4ft and out shot. If he is the primary defender he is beyond horrible. He got burnt 100% of the time. When MJ is making him look lost you GO RIGHT AT HIM

Reactions: bac2therac
My source (his host on his original visit, who has become a mentor of his in the eng'g school) thinks he's staying, as he's accepted into RU's eng'g grad school. Hope so, obviously.
This would be awesome. I hope in the off season Pike can get Myles and Omoruyi to play together out there.

Reactions: RUBlackout
Illinois has the frosh of the year. And Bead recruits the crap out if it.
TDJ may be back but who cares as they stunk this year anyway.
Purdue has a 7ft. 4 frosh center.
Other than Harper..what proven studs does Rutgers have coming back?

My source (his host on his original visit, who has become a mentor of his in the eng'g school) thinks he's staying, as he's accepted into RU's eng'g grad school. Hope so, obviously.
Fingers crossed! I think He's just a fantastic kid too,

He should double up and do his MBA.

Post of the night if true.

4 of his 5 fouls were legit - that's on him - he played horribly tonight.
again.. Kofi was not called the same as myles was. And 3 of the 5 were legit. The l4th.. he took a swipe at the ball hitting nothing.. ref used the whole horizontal arm thing as if he were trying to block a shot rather than try to tap a rebound without going over the top on someone.. very lame call. And you know the other lame call.

I ask you guys.. how many of our losses were cases of refs taking us out of the game early with calling us tight and the other guys doing what they want? It is at least 3... NOW.. that doesn't mean we were better than those teams or that we would not have lost if fairly officiated.... but it is disheartening to fans to see that.. can you imagine being a player and seeing the other team can do anything they want but you cannot play the same way?

I ask you guys.. how many of our losses were cases of refs taking us out of the game early with calling us tight and the other guys doing what they want? It is at least 3... NOW.. that doesn't mean we were better than those teams or that we would not have lost if fairly officiated.... but it is disheartening to fans to see that.. can you imagine being a player and seeing the other team can do anything they want but you cannot play the same way?
There were a few bad calls tonight, as I've said, but if you think the officiating tonight made a significant difference in this game, you're clueless. We were destroyed in every way tonight.

There were a few bad calls tonight, as I've said, but if you think the officiating tonight made a significant difference in this game, you're clueless. We were destroyed in every way tonight.
A few? Let’s remember when the fouls were called and what type they were. Early foul calls on RU changed up how we played on defense. Hard to press, best shot blocker on bench etc etc... Now let’s talk about not one but two tech fouls. That was a potential swing of 5 points plus possession. Box score will show foul calls were more even because of late calls on Illy. In what world should Kofi be called for only two fouls last night? Again let me be clear I am not saying RU wins last night if officiating was truly fair. Much credit to our opponent who rightfully should be a number 1 seed. Just would have been nice to see how we could have fared against a number 1 seed.

again.. Kofi was not called the same as myles was. And 3 of the 5 were legit. The l4th.. he took a swipe at the ball hitting nothing.. ref used the whole horizontal arm thing as if he were trying to block a shot rather than try to tap a rebound without going over the top on someone.. very lame call. And you know the other lame call.
You need to know how to play defense. Here is the way you play Kofi. You play behind him. You do not front him, if you front him you already lost he's so strong he will hold you off and get the over the top pass. You do not play off either of his hips again you are playing in to his strength...his strength and manhandle you off the opposite hip you are shading. You play directly behind him and let him get the ball. He is going to have wrap and throw an elbow or lower his shoulder into you as he does not have much in the way of post moves it's all brute strength...use that to your advantage. He Iis not going to beat you with finesse.

On offense you go right at him RHJ blew by him no problem every time. Even Myles who has next to nothing on post moves made him look real bad in the paint. The problem with our guys is that for the most part outside of RHJ & PM everybody that drives the basket is so out of control they lose that advantage. Kofi is a perfect setup for Mac where he should be scoring his points. He's terrible from 3pt land and his points should be coming from 15ft in

Honestly Douc matches up offensively very well with Kofi as he actually has post moves and could have lot him up if he could finish

You need to know how to play defense. Here is the way you play Kofi. You play behind him. You do not front him, if you front him you already lost he's so strong he will hold you off and get the over the top pass. You do not play off either of his hips again you are playing in to his strength...his strength and manhandle you off the opposite hip you are shading. You play directly behind him and let him get the ball. He is going to have wrap and throw an elbow or lower his shoulder into you as he does not have much in the way of post moves it's all brute strength...use that to your advantage. He Iis not going to beat you with finesse.

On offense you go right at him RHJ blew by him no problem every time. Even Myles who has next to nothing on post moves made him look real bad in the paint. The problem with our guys is that for the most part outside of RHJ & PM everybody that drives the basket is so out of control they lose that advantage. Kofi is a perfect setup for Mac where he should be scoring his points. He's terrible from 3pt land and his points should be coming from 15ft in

Honestly Douc matches up offensively very well with Kofi as he actually has post moves and could have lot him up if he could finish
Just wanted to point out, my post had nothing to do with how you defend kofi. I am saying that Kofi committed many obvious fouls and infractions that were not called. Not a single call in the first half.

A few? Let’s remember when the fouls were called and what type they were. Early foul calls on RU changed up how we played on defense. Hard to press, best shot blocker on bench etc etc... Now let’s talk about not one but two tech fouls. That was a potential swing of 5 points plus possession. Box score will show foul calls were more even because of late calls on Illy. In what world should Kofi be called for only two fouls last night? Again let me be clear I am not saying RU wins last night if officiating was truly fair. Much credit to our opponent who rightfully should be a number 1 seed. Just would have been nice to see how we could have fared against a number 1 seed.
Exactly correct.. all we ask for a FAIRLY OFFICIATED GAME. The refs did NOT let the players decide the game. Several times this season Big Ten Refs have cancelled out our big men early. This Illinois game was one of them.

We have seen Rutgers lose a number of ways.. unfairly officiated games is just one of them. We have no idea what would have happened if it were fairly officiated.

We also need to school our players on not grabbing the opponent by the crotch.

Amusing but pretty sure that was a jersey grab for balance while being pushed.. just in the wrong place. The refs, by committee.. really screwed the pooch on that one.
Of course I was kidding.
It's hard to figure how they could be so dumb. It definitely ranks among the stupidest calls that I've ever seen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT