ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers Hoops vs. Iowa

Exactly. Sucks to lose but I'm not angry about this one like I was after Ohio State. They outplayed us today, oh well. Move on and prepare for NW

Agree.

For this team to win they need to bring the intensity at a top level every game .

But it’s really hard to bring that every game

Today we didn’t = loss

Reactions: RU MAN
That game stat line doesn’t do justice for how bad we were on the glass at the beginning of both halves when Iowa wasn’t on fire from long range. They had the first 6 rebounds of the game. The start to the game was truly awful.

Exactly. Sucks to lose but I'm not angry about this one like I was after Ohio State. They outplayed us today, oh well. Move on and prepare for NW
More pissed about Hall game and how we responded at home vs. hated rival after that screw job.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Agree.

For this team to win they need to bring the intensity at a top level every game .

But it’s really hard to bring that every game

Today we didn’t = loss
True - but some of the 3s that bench reserve player hit in the second half were also insane. We were out of sink on the lob passes Cliff usually jams home. Just wasn’t our day.

We also weren’t getting the ball to the right guys for shots. Mag shouldn’t have the highest offensive usage on the team and neither should Simpson at this stage. But they attempted the most shots especially when you consider the ones they were fouled on.

On the other hand, how could Mag not shoot? I don’t know what we’re going to do about him because Iowa’s strategy of leaving him completely unguarded on the outside worked like a charm. That’s how they were able to lock down our other guys with an extra defender. Cam didn’t get many open looks. The defense they played suited Caleb’s offensive game - he seemed to know he needed to bring it on offense. Seemed a step slow to me compared to his usual defensive game.

1 second o clock him catching inbound does not hurt he has to turn and shoot it's a huge big time shot if he does make not a 50% shot more like a 20% shot
Agree another bad brain fart on Caleb re: positioning, but the inbound lob to Murray even with Caleb covering was smart. Murray will be a pro (NBA?...G-League/overseas easy) and has size on Caleb, I don't think Caleb outjumps Murray on that play.

Reactions: socaldave
Ok but the embarrsssing post came out at the end of the game
It was embarrassing they should be embarrassed that how you learn that’s how you get better it certainly was not their best effort if you don’t put out you best effort you should be embarrassed what’s so hard about that. I promise you as an ex college athlete and masters all American they are embarrassed if you can’t understand that you don’t understand athletics
I was embarrassed for them
If I was Pike I would be embarrassed. It’s not the end of the world you use it to get better

Agree another bad brain fart on Caleb re: positioning, but the inbound lob to Murray even with Caleb covering was smart. Murray will be a pro (NBA?...G-League/overseas easy) and has size on Caleb, I don't think Caleb outjumps Murray on that play.
That wasn’t on Caleb. Cliff has to be there on the help underneath. Not what I was talking about on Caleb’s defense. His perimeter D just wasn’t as tight as it usually is and Murray beat him off dribble penetration several times. Wasn’t a good match up for him.

Reactions: goru7
It was embarrassing they should be embarrassed that how you learn that’s how you get better it certainly was not their best effort if you don’t put out you best effort you should be embarrassed what’s so hard about that. I promise you as an ex college athlete and masters all American they are embarrassed if you can’t understand that you don’t understand athletics
If I was Pike I would be embarrassed. It’s not the end of the world you use it to get better

I just disagree. Nothing embarrassing about today. Disappointing, sure.

Agree to disagree

No it wasn’t. Michigan embarrassed Maryland. Losing to Lafayette was embarrassing.

Not this. We fought back and didn’t get schooled but they got hot at the right time and hung on to win.

Reactions: goru7 and mikemarc1
I thought Iowa's gameplan was excellent on Cliff down low and Cam outside. Leaving Mag and even Caleb to beat you was the right play. We came out absolutely flat and never recover. And when a shooter like Sandfort (streaky I might add) come's into the game shooing 21% from 3 point land, and suddenly knocks down three after three and scores the most points on their team (22) when he barely averages 7 points a game, that's streaky. Plus, they shot 44% from three, while we shot an abysmal 29%. Normally, Iowa shoots closer to 36-38% and we shoot about the same.

Even as flat as we were, if the three percentages were reversed, we would have still won because Iowa knocked down 12 three while we hit 5. That's a 21 point swing.

Bottom line is when we come out slow like this and don't turn up the intensity on defense from the get go, this is what happens. Now, we need to regroup and play our kind of game and beat Northwestern.

That wasn’t on Caleb. Cliff has to be there on the help underneath. Not what I was talking about on Caleb’s defense. His perimeter D just wasn’t as tight as it usually is and Murray beat him off dribble penetration several times. Wasn’t a good match up for him.
I'd have to watch a replay pretty sure Cliff was covering Rebraca more outside so perhaps our D set-up wasn't right.

No it wasn’t. Michigan embarrassed Maryland. Losing to Lafayette was embarrassing.

Not this. We fought back and didn’t get schooled but they got hot at the right time and hung on to win.
I promise you they are embarrassed whether it qualifies as embarrassing to you is pointless. They know they came flat. They did not play like they can till 12 minutes to go

I thought Iowa's gameplan was excellent on Cliff down low and Cam outside. Leaving Mag and even Caleb to beat you was the right play. We came out absolutely flat and never recover. And when a shooter like Sandfort (streaky I might add) come's into the game shooing 21% from 3 point land, and suddenly knocks down three after three and scores the most points on their team (22) when he barely averages 7 points a game, that's streaky. Plus, they shot 44% from three, while we shot an abysmal 29%. Normally, Iowa shoots closer to 36-38% and we shoot about the same.

Even as flat as we were, if the three percentages were reversed, we would have still won because Iowa knocked down 12 three while we hit 5. That's a 21 point swing.

Bottom line is when we come out slow like this and don't turn up the intensity on defense from the get go, this is what happens. Now, we need to regroup and play our kind of game and beat Northwestern.
Agreed, they let Mag be undefended , he is not very good on offense, with the ball, dribbling, passing, shooting, Decision making, recognition all not good. Awesome defender

1. Missed layups happen
2. Paul airball doesn't
3. many ball fumbles happen
4. Allowing a Pearl Harbor from 3 - land doesn't
5. Let downs from hot games happen
6. Lack of intensity every single game does not

Agreed, they let Mag be undefended , he is not very good on offense, with the ball, dribbling, passing, shooting, Decision making, recognition all not good. Awesome defender
Its a bad omen when Mag takes more shots than Spencer.I have to give Iowa credit because they came to the RAC and ran a offenisve clinic with ball movement and 3 point shooting.Rutgers in contrast missed too many shots around the basket and failed to run screens allowing Spencer to get open 3 point shots.Bottom line Rutgers will have great difficulty winning games when opponents score more than 70 points.

Reactions: socaldave
100% on CM he got beat on an inbound with 1 sec on clock what are you talking about. I dont think you are going to beat an iowa with collapse and help defense. You have to man up with them. The only way you beat them if they miss 3's with what we played today. You have cliff popping g out on corners when he should be boarding

Getvthe score
In the past when RU was ranked or had a chance to be first they’ve laid an egg … today we see RU turn the corner!!!!
RU has rewritten some history the past few years … beating number one …. 4 wins vs ranked teams in a row … Making NCAA …. Top 4 … others (like winning when ranked, on the cusp of being ranked) … can’t seem to get past those barriers … yet.

100% on CM he got beat on an inbound with 1 sec on clock what are you talking about. I dont think you are going to beat an iowa with collapse and help defense. You have to man up with them. The only way you beat them if they miss 3's with what we played today. You have cliff popping g out on corners when he should be boarding

I think you should watch it again. There wasn’t enough time on the clock for a pass after the inbound. Caleb was playing in front of Murray to deny him from getting a jump shot off.

Going over Caleb’s head getting the ball in required an acrobatic, NBA caliber shot to be made in the first place. But as soon as that pass is thrown in to the paint - your rim protector needs to react with the help in a situation where there is zero risk of a dish off. At least, that’s a block Cliff makes 3 weeks ago. It’s a block MJ would’ve made too.

Last edited:
I think you should watch it again. There wasn’t enough time on the clock for a pass after the inbound. Caleb was playing in front of Murray to deny him from getting a jump shot off.

Going over Caleb’s head getting the ball in required an acrobatic, NBA caliber shot to be made in the first place. But as soon as that pass is thrown in to the paint - your rim protector needs to react with the help in a situation where there is zero risk of a dish off. At least, that’s a block Cliff makes 3 weeks ago. It’s a block MJ would’ve made too.
There is no need to front someone there. He has to catch, turn, locate the hoop and shoot.
He makes the shot it's a tough shot. Just play solid D. Cliff helps on backside more than likely will be a foul and you just bailed out the O on a terrible possession. You just have to know the situation. Bad mental play

There is no need to front someone there. He has to catch, turn, locate the hoop and shoot.
He makes the shot it's a tough shot. Just play solid D. Cliff helps on backside more than likely will be a foul and you just bailed out the O on a terrible possession. You just have to know the situation. Bad mental play

That was a very tough shot to begin with. Cliff didn’t even need to make contact. Just charging into the paint probably would’ve been enough to alter the shot. It was not at all an easy shot to make. Regardless, the second the ball was inbounded Cliff or somebodyshould have absolutely cut into the paint underneath towards the ball to contest. There was no help side support at all from anyone which is ridiculous considering the shot clock situation.
There was no need at all for anyone to stick with their man with one second.

Reactions: bac2therac
Clearly it was our worst defensive effort of the year as we were a step slow in allowing Iowa to set up offense , get up court , called off the press (weary legs for 3rd game in 5.5 days ) . But we got down 18 went on a 12-0 run and got it to 5 after Hyatt’s baseline jumper 55-50. Then Hyatt gets schooled by Sandfort 3 -4 straight times to expand the lead to 11 again , but we still fight back. We have 5-6 stops in a row and then the 2-3 killer plays.
1) After tremendous defense , they throw up an airball and somehow Cliff let’s Labraca get it and he throws it out for a 3 at the shot clock , then 2) Caleb just fumbles the pass for a half second and makes the basket but they wave it off because it was released after the shot clock and 3) the killer , with the ball going out of bounds with 1 on the shot clock and Cliff not helping Caleb and allowing Murray to catch and score.
Those 3 plays could have had a different result with just a little luck and now it is a 1-2 point game with 2 minutes to go and I like our chances to complete the 18 point second half comeback. Lots of uncharacteristic defense, the terrible missed layups or soft drives resulting in tough and bad shots but still almost all overcome but for those 3 plays with 4 minutes to go. Social dave , I normally concur with a lot of your posts , but this one was not embarrassing by the players. They had an off night with Paul and Cliff the main culprits and too many big shots for Simpson ( missed 2 wide open threes in the second half ) . So a really disappointing game and loss with first place and a ranking on the line , but not an embarrassment .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT