ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers Hoops vs. Maryland

As a long suffering fan I have learned success at Rutgers comes and goes at rapid speed .The lack of success has lasted 30 years in regard to a NCAA bid.Hopefully,the team finds a way to win two more games and finally breaks the NCAA drought.

I’m badmouthing ****ing morons because they are morons.

That includes people who think we need 3 more wins to make the tournament, people who think we should shoot zero threes per game, and people who don’t want to make the tournament.
Never said we need 3 wins . I predicted 3 wins over the next 4 games so no sweat getting the bid. Now you have to be a young fan or student or alum to see we are way off and that it is NOT just physical. There has to be discontent to play this poorly and inconsistent. So your pea sized brain understands there are none of us who want Rutgers to not get an NCAA bid .People will harshly criticize after seeing game after game issues .

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Myles , Geo and Ron no shows today . That’s the ballgame
Hard for Myles to show when he was on the bench for so many minutes. He actually played well for the first few minutes of the game.

I'm numb at this point. I think it's safe to say that this was an underwhelming season given how it started and our expectations. We are not as good a team as we were last year, and it's not even close. I'm not sure if it has much to do with buying their own hype and also with Pike failing to address the offense to take us to the next level. Maybe a bit of both, and also the loss of Yeboah and the regression of Geo, and the loss of the teams all around edge.

I am not expecting anything from this team, and if they make the tournament than at least we can get that off of our backs and move forward. Just a dissapointing and frustrating year.

Reactions: ldwnmas
Obviously a poor effort all the way around. Turnovers, poor defense (seemed lost on their assignments and close-outs too many times), too many offensive rebounds allowed, allowing the shot clock to run down, missing chippies, and obviously not hitting jumpers and three pointers.

But they won a tough game the game before Ron got back tho lol

It was one game. We shot out of our minds. Winning that way was not sustainable for this group. RHJ was putting up 26 ppg and then suddenly he came back and he wasn’t. We needed to rely on defense to win games again. It’s a good thing we got Caleb back because we’re not as good defensively without him. We’d still suck on offense without him because we have no shooters. There’s really nothing else here.

I'm numb at this point. I think it's safe to say that this was an underwhelming season given how it started and our expectations. We are not as good a team as we were last year, and it's not even close. I'm not sure if it has much to do with buying their own hype and also with Pike failing to address the offense to take us to the next level. Maybe a bit of both, and also the loss of Yeboah and the regression of Geo, and the loss of the teams all around edge.

I am not expecting anything from this team, and if they make the tournament than at least we can get that off of our backs and move forward. Just a dissapointing and frustrating year.
Eh idk man. This season is playing out I think how most level headed fans thought it would. And im not saying that youre not level headed, its just that too many bought into the hype. We are and always were gonna be a bubble team.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Garbage time injury for Young.... can we relocate the RAC off the Indian burial ground
Hes fine he just wanted out of game
He pulled a no show just like the others

This is why Myles isn't an elite center in the league
Myles needs to get the ball in the right spot. He needs to get it in the paint. The second the dumo to him outside the paint he gets pushed out and he only has moves 5Ft and in. He has nothing for 10ft.. but if you get him the ball there he can be very effective

Pike blew that one. Despite terrible offense we were still in it. Didn't force the ball into Myles early. Keeps JY on the bench for way too long, puts Harper in at crucial time (wtf was that?). What a disaster.

true. Either bench Harper or not. Don’t half-assed bench him. That served no purpose except to show that Pike doesn’t know what to do.

and why do you reward Mathis for sucking?

Hes fine he just wanted out of game
Myles needs to get the ball in the right spot. He needs to get it in the paint. The second the dumo to him outside the paint he gets pushed out and he only has moves 5Ft and in. He has nothing for 10ft.. but if you get him the ball there he can be very effective
He’s a good passer to the perimeter though. The problem is nobody respects our three point shooters so 2 and three guys collapsed on Myles after the first few minutes creating a lot of turnovers.

He’s a good passer to the perimeter though. The problem is nobody respects our three point shooters so 2 and three guys collapsed on Myles after the first few minutes creating a lot of turnovers.
My one or 2 knocks on MJ is lack of post moves but what I think hurts him more than anything he has very weak hands. If your 6'11 250 a 6ft guard should not be able to strip you of the ball. Happens very often

Tale of 2 seasons
7-1
5-9

Would have rather have started 5-9 and be 7-1 afterwords. If we make the tourney and catch a great shooting team we will lose by 30. But then again we have to get there yet. Boy what a difference Yeboah, Getty or date I say Omuruyi would make towards our offense. We desperately need someone that can play in the paint and score

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Eh idk man. This season is playing out I think how most level headed fans thought it would. And im not saying that youre not level headed, its just that too many bought into the hype. We are and always were gonna be a bubble team.

Fair point for sure. I definitely bought the hype early in the year. Thought Harper would not stay AS hot, but wouldn't completely fade either.

At the end of the day, I'll be happy with a NCAA bid as we all probably should be.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Theres running a motion offense and then theres running motion with the sole intent being to take time off the shot clock. We do the latter.
I disagree. Where this team goes wrong is Pike allows too many iso's and the kids stop moving and start dribbling too much and then play hero ball. He's got to pull in the reins on some of them and you and I both know who. Those situations are killing us. That's why it appears as if there is no offense, when in fact it's designed to go inside and out and back inside, but sadly, and this part I do agree with you, we don't see enough of that or passes and it does appear as if we're relegated to dribbling on the outside as the clock winds down and then throwing up a desperation shot.

Believe me. I'm as frustrated as you are.

I disagree. Where this team goes wrong is Pike allows too many iso's and the kids stop moving and start dribbling too much and then play hero ball. He's got to pull in the reins on some of them and you and I both know who. Those situations are killing us. That's why it appears as if there is no offense, when in fact it's designed to go inside and out and back inside, but sadly, and this part I do agree with you, we don't see enough of that or passes and it does appear as if we're relegated to dribbling on the outside as the clock winds down and then throwing up a desperation shot.

Believe me. I'm as frustrated as you are.
Floppy sets are some of the easiest sets to run perpetual and we see one once in a blue moon. Its inexcusable

Bringing in George Floyd and “social justice” is trash and has no place on this board.
Who mentioned Floyd? And the comment as I answered was sarcasm. Nothing more nor nothing less.Don’t attempt to make your personal agenda or issues someone else’s. Go on the open board And play with the others who are bent.

Who mentioned Floyd? And the comment as I answered was sarcasm. Nothing more nor nothing less.Don’t attempt to make your personal agenda or issues someone else’s. Go on the open board And play with the others who are bent.
Someone mentioned George Floyd and look through the thread. The comment about social justice was clearly about nothing about nothing but your own personal agenda. Sarcasm is your excuse.

Someone mentioned George Floyd and look through the thread. The comment about social justice was clearly about nothing about nothing but your own personal agenda. Sarcasm is your excuse.
Well zeb it wasn’t me and yet you found it necessary to blast me . Now that appears to have some definite undertones of bias towards me and probably because of your inability to call piss poor play out. This team did not warrant any sort of praise and Pikiell who I like still seems to be in a shell as well. I really feel our poor play goes deeper than the normal. Definitely a chemistry issue. Here’s my starting lineup : J.Y. , Mathis, Johnson , McConnell and Baker ... Omoruyi Mulcahy, Harper in that order .

Still would like Myles and Cliff together ... After re watching our last 6 games I really believe Ron Harper has a lingering injury. One which is causing him up and down minutes on the court.

Well zeb it wasn’t me and yet you found it necessary to blast me . Now that appears to have some definite undertones of bias towards me and probably because of your inability to call piss poor play out. This team did not warrant any sort of praise and Pikiell who I like still seems to be in a shell as well. I really feel our poor play goes deeper than the normal. Definitely a chemistry issue. Here’s my starting lineup : J.Y. , Mathis, Johnson , McConnell and Baker ... Omoruyi Mulcahy, Harper in that order .

What do you mean it wasn’t you? Who brought in “social justice”? And yeah, they’ve been playing piss poor overall for two months. Not the least “inability” to call it out. Imperfect as he may be ONE guy has been playing well: JY. The others: Clearly too distracted by social justice issues, esp. the abominable 3-point shooting.

What do you mean it wasn’t you? Who brought in “social justice”? And yeah, they’ve been playing piss poor overall for two months. Not the least “inability” to call it out. Imperfect as he may be ONE guy has been playing well: JY. The others: Clearly too distracted by social justice issues, esp. the abominable 3-point shooting.
Show me where I mentioned George Floyd ‘s name asswipe? You know why because I never mentioned Floyd.

You say chemistry problem, so you want to take the
#1 team player out of the starting lineup. The most unselfish player on the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT