ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers Hoops vs. Penn State

It was going to be an issue no matter what. most likely would have called it when we got the rebound on the missed foul shots from Stevens....

We needed a leader out there to stop the panic. Geo picked up his dribble threw to Ron I think who threw it to Johnson then back to Ron then too quasi....geo needs to ) not pick up his dribble or b) once he passes go get it...

I assume penn state was also fouling once we went to the rim....

Funny thing if we lose the last 2 games we will finish 11th or 12th...unless we win 2 games in BUG Tourney think there is ZERO chance for NCAA tourney. Why would you reward a team that cannot win a game outside it's own building...Pitt and Bonnie were terrible garbage losses

if we were down the 21 and fought back to get within 6 at the closest, it would have been your typical RU road loss....but no, we had to actually take the lead inside the last minute....

the wife, who won't watch the game out of nerves, said PSU will hit a three from the other room....because that is the RU way.....god damm it

He’s a coach of the year candidate because of how historically shit we’ve been. I agree some are being too harsh on him but his substitution patterns throughout the season have been killer

We came back down 20. He did a great job with his subs today.

geo hate to say it because so love him but he hurt yay big time today. He was the reason why we had to burn our second time out. Got caught dribbling in the corner again. Knowing how this ended you might as well take the turnover

if we were down the 21 and fought back to get within 6 at the closest, it would have been your typical RU road loss....but no, we had to actually take the lead inside the last minute....

the wife, who won't watch the game out of nerves, said PSU will hit a three from the other room....because that is the RU way.....god damm it

now we know who jinxed us. Your only option is divorce

Chambers tried to bail us out and call a TO after the 3 too. Obviously he wouldve told his guys to start fouling the moment we attempt to drive and wouldve set up a full court press.

He had 2 to give and we had 22 secs. Ill take that.

They’d have been better tackling someone and putting them at the line for 2. How the F do you leave Dred open for 3, moving pick or not.
The announcer said the same when we were up. Make them tie it at the line. But no, we give up a wide open 3. And what the hell was that last possession. I picked the wrong week to stop stiffing glue.

Reactions: 1coastalknight
He had 2 to give and we had 22 secs. Ill take that.
I honestly dont trust pike enough to know how to handle that situation. I think we run our typical horns paired with a high cross screen for ron and as soon as that happens theres now 10 secs left. Foul 5. In bound and foul 6 happens at about 6 seconds. Now we have to inbound and get off a shot in 6 seconds. We were ****ed either way. But the game was lost with pikes subs with about 7 mins left bringing in duke and taking out young

that was a decent timeout... but we should have had one more..

It was a 2pt game with 2 20....you have to let it go there and save the last 1.
You take your last TO down 2 with 30 seconds ...not 2 and a half min. Twice he's done that recently I believe.

now we know who jinxed us. Your only option is divorce

no, the wife has watch a zillion RU bb and fb games
and knows the RU jinx well.......

I was saying to myself, at worst, hold them to a shot within the three point line, but defend the three pointer really well.... at worst they tie it up and we have the chance to win with the last posession

You take your last TO down 2 with 30 seconds ...not 2 and a half min. Twice he's done that recently I believe.

I did not like the use of the final timeout....the Geo one is forgivable, did not want a turn over there

Funny thing if we lose the last 2 games we will finish 11th or 12th...unless we win 2 games in BUG Tourney think there is ZERO chance for NCAA tourney. Why would you reward a team that cannot win a game outside it's own building...Pitt and Bonnie were terrible garbage losses
Only way we can look at that is hope committee looks at how many road games we lost by less than5 points. We have been in practically every road loss and tonite was the biggest heartbreaker for these kids who came back from 21 down to be up 2 with 38 seconds left in game. I really feel for them and Pike

The announcer said the same when we were up. Make them tie it at the line. But no, we give up a wide open 3. And what the hell was that last possession. I picked the wrong week to stop stiffing glue.
But the wide-open three was result of what should’ve been an illegal screen by Harrer—Yeboah did not have a chance.

Reactions: satnom
Good news is coronavirus will most likely get us all before the ncaa tournament so we won’t have opportunity not to make it

I did not like the use of the final timeout....the Geo one is forgivable, did not want a turn over there
I agree. But those 2 stuck possessions in the corner back to back were killers. Stupid plays from a team just not understanding the thin margin of error in these games.
We just lack mental toughness from the get go. Amazing to pull this crap out of the toilet but just don't cone ready to play from the whistle for 40. I just don't get it.
Where I miss Bannon, Waters, and Rice a bit. They wouldn't cuddle this group. Not in these games.

Young was not in at the end..correct? Who was the other player..myles geo ron yeb
Young was in but Harper and Myles ran to the ball so I think he cleared through the baseline to the other side. He needed the ball there

This, you sub in duke and have them extend a 1 point lead to 7 which soon balloons to 10 or 12 whatever it was. Cant do it. Cant cant do it. Team fought tooth and nail to erase a 21 point lead and you **** them like that with 6:38 left?!
It was bad enough he went to that lineup in the first place. I mean the whole board thought it was stupid so not sure what Pike was thinking. I cant imagine what that thought process was... but then there was a timeout and when the broadcast came back and I saw Doucoure was still on the court I was absolutely stunned. Pike needs to explain himself. Coaches are not always right and should be questioned when they make clear bonehead moves

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Ya know what. Upon further review, was it an illegal screen? Yes. However, this is on yeboah hes gotta tail the shooter and come over that screen, not try to cheat under it.

Apparently, a bad week to stop sniffing glue. I stopped watching the games after the Northwestern near-debacle. My heart can't take it; basically left with hospitalized or institutionalized. :eek:

I agree. But those 2 stuck possessions in the corner back to back were killers. Stupid plays from a team just not understanding the thin margin of error in these games.
We just lack mental toughness from the get go. Amazing to pull this crap out of the toilet but just don't cone ready to play from the whistle for 40. I just don't get it.
Where I miss Bannon, Waters, and Rice a bit. They wouldn't cuddle this group. Not in these games.

we have to give Pike both a merit and a demerit...

the one thing we can say is, that when the team is down, way down, he gets their heads in the game and they don't give up.....

the demerit is not having the team playing well before that.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
100%
Shocked RHJ. Didn't go to rim with it. Didn't want to shoot it.[/QUO
Sorry, but I think most of Geo is bad at this point. I actually think some of the best basketball we've played all season was when he was out, and then when he was coming off the bench. I've said this a number of times - I thing he's a nice sixth man on a good team. Just another question about him. What happened to catching and shooting the three. Why does every three for him suddenly have to be a step back. The kid's 6'4" and a really good shooter. Just face the basket and put it up. Step back and shoot when you get into the lane instead of throwing an awkward looking pass out to someone who is a worse shooter than you.

Spot on comment.Rutgers had 11 seconds and wasted most of the time by passing the ball on the outside instead of driving to the basket and hoping to get fouled.

then the smart thing for PSU would to foul early on the move to the basket, before the ball up is put up.....I really wish we were in the bonus....but with our luck, we would either miss the front end of a one and one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT