ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAMEDAY: Rutgers Hoops set to face off against Illinois on Saturday

Boy do I hope you are right but I fear we may limp to get to Ncaas

I fear that too. But again if we limp to the NCAAs it’s not cause of Mag. It’s cause Hyatt can’t make dunks. It’s cause Caleb can’t convert on a 3 on 1. It’s cause Reiber can’t make a layup. It’s cause Cam is ice cold. It’s cause Cliff can’t stay out if foul trouble.

This is why we struggled today.

The fact that you have final 4 or bust agreeing with you says it all😂

Lol. Yah his name is a bit extreme.

But if we want to be a perennial top team which many think we’re there now…that’s gotta be the mindset.

It’s laughable this team is ranked. I said it both times.

We are atrocious on offense and our defense can only do so much for so long…with or without Mag we aren’t winning anything in the postseason without better offense.
Another armchair basketball expert trashing a bunch of kids. You act like this team is loaded with 5 star talent up and down the lineup. They are coached well but our bench is clearly not up to par. This team has overachchieved from where they were projected to be. Enjoy what you have or you can always root for another team. You're the one who's laughable.

Mag is missed but it’s our shooting that killed us last two games. Paul disappeared after palming call. Officiating matters. Pike should have gotten a T right then. Thought Illini traveled before crucial Cliff call. We missed so many bunnies. Reiber and Hyatt. Three games away in a week in February should never happen again. It killed us! Shame on the B1G.

The guy you're replying to is not an RU fan.

No idea why people continue to engage this tool bag.
YEAH you are the better fan--someone who is a season ticket holder for nearly 50 years and travels hours to get to games, whose kids , grandchildren and himself graduated or attend RU and who donates probably 25 times whatever you give is not a fan==I say you are an idiot

When Omoruyi went out at 13:54, we were up 47-44. By the time he came back in, Illinois had gone 8-0 against us.

He came in at 10:04 and picked up his 4th foul at 8:41, during which time neither team scored.

By the time he came back in at 7:25, Illinois had gone 4-0 to go up 56-47.

He played the rest of the game, during which time the two teams were 13-13.

The stretch without him on the floor was the game.

YEAH you are the better fan--someone who is a season ticket holder for nearly 50 years and travels hours to get to games, whose kids , grandchildren and himself graduated or attend RU and who donates probably 25 times whatever you give is not a fan==I say you are an idiot
You misread my post. I was talking about Finalfourorbust. He's a troll who comes here to antagonize people when things are not going well. He's not here for a meaningful discussion.

Another armchair basketball expert trashing a bunch of kids. You act like this team is loaded with 5 star talent up and down the lineup. They are coached well but our bench is clearly not up to par. This team has overachchieved from where they were projected to be. Enjoy what you have or you can always root for another team. You're the one who's laughable.

Believe me I’m enjoying it. Can’t wait to go to the NCAAs….praying we don’t blow it.

Were certainly not a team loaded with 5 star talent. We are certainly a team that plays hard and defends hard. That’s been the identity of Pike’s teams.

But yea, lately our offense has been laughable and we aren’t gonna have much success against tournament teams. If we wanna have a chance our offense had to be better.

And considering ncaa is now allowing kids to get paid, I think criticism can be a bit harsher. They’re no longer student athletes…but athletes who happen to be students.

When Omoruyi went out at 13:54, we were up 47-44. By the time he came back in, Illinois had gone 8-0 against us.

He came in at 10:04 and picked up his 4th foul at 8:41, during which time neither team scored.

Agree. Cliff's inability to stay on the floor was the deciding factor. UI does not go on that run if he's on the court.

Yup. Cliff's foul trouble story of the game. Dean and Wolf could not hold their own. We needed him on the court desperately today

You misread my post. I was talking about Finalfourorbust. He's a troll who comes here to antagonize people when things are not going well. He's not here for a meaningful discussion.
He was trolling the Indiana board the other day and they thought he was a Purdue fan. Maybe he is but he's closing in on ignore territory. Contributes nothing

Yup. Cliff's foul trouble story of the game. Dean and Wolf could not hold their own. We needed him on the court desperately today

And there are always questionable calls throughout the game, or just blatantly bad ones (like giving us the ball when it clearly went off Spencer out of bounds). But that 3rd call on Omoruyi changed the whole dynamic - it was arguably the most impactful call of the game, imo.

Yeah, he's basically a walking advertisement for the ignore feature.
The better we get the more of these guys that show up. RUOTBR(SP?), Jerseybird, Finalfourorbust, and probably Shelby. I know I'm missing some others.

I can't imagine the apocalyptic hellscape that this board will devolve into, when we become a perennial top 25 team.

Mikemarc1
I have to move you to the this guy doesn’t know what he is talking about column
That could be the least knowledgeable statement on assessing Rutgers basketball this year. It’s nonsensical!
Ridiculous statement by him. He's not watching or paying attention. This game is clearly winnable with Mag on the court. He could be the best all around athlete on the team. His defense is outstanding and he's a good shot.

Ridiculous statement by him. He's not watching or paying attention. This game is clearly winnable with Mag on the court. He could be the best all around athlete on the team. His defense is outstanding and he's a good shot.
And he was improving, that’s the sad part

Reactions: #1 RUFan and Scangg
If you expected more wins this season than we ever got the years before, I commend you for your optimism. But be honest with yourself, we lost the entire core these last couple of years, coming into the year most people thought we’d be lucky to avoid a play in game. Can we collapse and miss this tournament? You know what, we might. Balls haven’t bounced our way this year, but I’ll trust pike and staff to win 2 or 3 more games and sneak in. Key is these next couple of years as mega talent comes in.

And he was improving, that’s the sad part
Not only was he our best defender, but he was starting to develop offensively. He played within himself and outworked everyone on the court. It was beginning to show up in his efficiency numbers.

We not only miss his game but also his energy. The team now has a tendency to look lethargic during several minute stretches throughout the game.

He's a big loss.

Not only was he our best defender, but he was starting to develop offensively. He played within himself and outworked everyone on the court. It was beginning to show up in his efficiency numbers.

We not only miss his game but also his energy. The team now has a tendency to look lethargic during several minute stretches throughout the game.

He's a big loss.
Agreed, all things considered, and the way he was progressing offensively, he may have ended up our season MVP.

Reactions: #1 RUFan and SAE96

He's a big loss.
Energy and athleticism take a big hit

Reactions: SAE96 and socaldave
Believe me I’m enjoying it. Can’t wait to go to the NCAAs….praying we don’t blow it.

Were certainly not a team loaded with 5 star talent. We are certainly a team that plays hard and defends hard. That’s been the identity of Pike’s teams.

But yea, lately our offense has been laughable and we aren’t gonna have much success against tournament teams. If we wanna have a chance our offense had to be better.

And considering ncaa is now allowing kids to get paid, I think criticism can be a bit harsher. They’re no longer student athletes…but athletes who happen to be students.
Ok fair enough but credit needs to be due for overachieving. No one picked us to beat Purdue or be in the top 4 of the B1G. The team is limited offensively obviously and not many options on the bench. Looks like help is on the way recruiting wise. This team should be embraced not trashed. Criticism is ok too, but some on here are extreme.

Ok fair enough but credit needs to be due for overachieving. No one picked us to beat Purdue or be in the top 4 of the B1G. The team is limited offensively obviously and not many options on the bench. Looks like help is on the way recruiting wise. This team should be embraced not trashed. Criticism is ok too, but some on here are extreme.

1000% credit is due. Absoluteky. Probably the hardest working team in big ten. That says something about the kids. Awesome to root for.

At same time so frustrating to watch on offense. Yes, more skilled kids on the way which hopefully should finally be the tipping point that we’re a perneial top 25 team

Reactions: #1 RUFan
1000% credit is due. Absoluteky. Probably the hardest working team in big ten. That says something about the kids. Awesome to root for.

At same time so frustrating to watch on offense. Yes, more skilled kids on the way which hopefully should finally be the tipping point that we’re a perneial top 25 team
Agreed very frustrating. And with better decisions this game is won or closer. But we still are who we are. Yes a perennial top 25 would be nice. More offense and Pike's defense. The future is bright.

Reactions: mikemarc1
Mag would have done a much better job on Hawkins. . Mag was becoming a much better rebounder and offensive threat. Heading to be a 10+ scorer. He was also so disruptive against any team bringing the ball up giving them less time to get into their offense. When you put it all together O and D he probably was worth a 15 point difference.
One last point is we lose length advantage without Mag. Even though Derek is listed as 6’3”, we are lucky if he is 6’. 90 % of the time he is guarding someone taller.

wondering if that moment was coached or his brain just didn't feel it. Wide open, defender mile away for half an hour, and he threw the pass. PM is the heart of this team and he needs to shoot it like he's got a 50 caliber.

wondering if that moment was coached or his brain just didn't feel it. Wide open, defender mile away for half an hour, and he threw the pass. PM is the heart of this team and he needs to shoot it like he's got a 50 caliber.

t
Paul still turning down too many shots
love the guy but he's a head case. If he's the leader he needs to understand what it takes for his team to win. Including being more selfish or AT LEAST taking the damn shots that are there.

Reactions: Scangg
I fear that too. But again if we limp to the NCAAs it’s not cause of Mag. It’s cause Hyatt can’t make dunks. It’s cause Caleb can’t convert on a 3 on 1. It’s cause Reiber can’t make a layup. It’s cause Cam is ice cold. It’s cause Cliff can’t stay out if foul trouble.

This is why we struggled today.
This

t

love the guy but he's a head case. If he's the leader he needs to understand what it takes for his team to win. Including being more selfish or AT LEAST taking the damn shots that are there.
Turning down open looks when you are someone who should be shooting them is actually selfish

He needs to talk to Hyatt and ask him how to get in the shoot without a conscience mindset lol

Reactions: fluoxetine
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT