ADVERTISEMENT

Geo Baker Tweet

Enjoy the game in your miserable pathetic life. Most of these kids have 3-4 years in the sun to make a few bucks then they will be out in the real world trying to make a life.

Why grown men mostly white males feel entitled to regulate the thoughts and actions of these mostly black athletes is a text book case of white privilege.
Right on!

A lot of tough people that like to hide behind internet walls speaking their minds. I give credit to Geo fro sticking up for what he believes and putting himself out there for everyone to know.

I would love to see some of you people talk to these people face to face. I am sure you would get your asses kicked

I think this was the intention. Miserable people want everyone else to be miserable too. These kids are miserable; it's obvious. They aren't happy and they want everyone else to be as unhappy - that's the point of being divisive and creating strife on the eve of the happiest night in thirty years for the program and the fanbase. I said it in the other thread ... I feel bad for them.
Funny thing about that is, if what you say about their intentions were even true, which I doubt, then it’s only the angry complainers in this thread, or on social media, that are allowing themselves to be manipulated into being miserable for no reason.

If adults are so weak-minded that the essentially meaningless tweets of college kid can make them feel miserable, that’s way more reflective of those adults than it will ever be of the players, regardless of the player’s (unknowable) purported ulterior motives.

Whatever happened to people’s sense of personal responsibility? Geo is not responsible for making everybody happy or miserable. We each have the choice to decide how to feel.

I feel great, by the way. 😀

Funny thing about that is, if what you say about their intentions were even true, which I doubt, then it’s only the angry complainers in this thread, or on social media, that are allowing themselves to be manipulated into being miserable for no reason.

If adults are so weak-minded that the essentially meaningless tweets of college kid can make them feel miserable, that’s way more reflective of those adults than it will ever be of the players, regardless of the player’s (unknowable) purported ulterior motives.

Whatever happened to people’s sense of personal responsibility? Geo is not responsible for making everybody happy or miserable. We each have the choice to decide how to feel.

I feel great, by the way. 😀

Beat Clemson!

Reactions: mildone
You people are crazy...lol

Crazy in that when watching a sport the salary or lack there of does not impact my assessment of the play on the court?

Crazy that anybody would want the kids to not be able to get paid.

Crazy in that when watching a sport the salary or lack there of does not impact my assessment of the play on the court?

Crazy that anybody would want the kids to not be able to get paid.
Except they already are paid. It's called the Cost of Attendance stipend that athletic scholarship holders get that no one else on scholarship does plus all the perks athletic scholarship holders get that other scholarship holders don't.

It's why the comparison of athletic to academic scholarships as apples to apples is flawed and makes the person making the comparison either sound uninformed or a straight up liar.

Reactions: Rutgers36
Hey Geo. Lead us to the Final Four and you'll be on the biggest stage imagined.
Plus we will have accomplished something as a team.
Yes, he and Harper instead of complaining,could have put all that time into their game .(there was plenty of time because of Covid.)
3 or 4 more wins and sweet 16 would have turned them into RU legend. They would be remembered for ever. Like Douby leading his team to the NIT, and Sellers and his team to a final four. My son knows all about Sellers, Bailey
and the rest of the 76 team,
For example my son was born in 79. So if they had something to say about players rights we would have respectfully listened.
Harper was raised by a well respected millionaire
Read what life Sellers was born into, but never complained, believe me he came thru for his team and himself. The guys today should have picked their moment better.

Last edited:
There is definitely no momentum on the side of the athletes. I think we should continue pretending it is better for courts and Congress rather than the NCAA to figure this out.

Reactions: RUBlackout
Except they already are paid. It's called the Cost of Attendance stipend that athletic scholarship holders get that no one else on scholarship does plus all the perks athletic scholarship holders get that other scholarship holders don't.

It's why the comparison of athletic to academic scholarships as apples to apples is flawed and makes the person making the comparison either sound uninformed or a straight up liar.
CEO’s are already being paid, too. Should they never lobby their board for compensation increases?

What about folks earning $100K per year who’ve inherited millions from dead relatives? Should they not ask for a pay raise and just be happy with what they already have, just because other people aren’t so lucky?

Why are we to decide who is and isn’t allowed to seek more control over their lives or a bigger piece of the financial pie? How would you respond to someone trying to say you already have enough and should stop seeking more of anything?

Reactions: RUhobbit
Are you really posting a tweet from Corey Booker

Because you believe he and and the members of Congress don't have the ability to impose laws on the NCAA regarding athlete compensation? Seriously? There is a Bill in Congress today called the College Athlete's Bill of Rights. If it passes, athletes in revenue generating sports will be required by law to receive compensation. There is no logical reason I can imagine where the NCAA shouldn't be racing out in front of the issue. Other than the fact the NCAA is and has been for decades incompetent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/17/sports/ncaafootball/college-athlete-bill-of-rights.html

CEO’s are already being paid, too. Should they never lobby their board for compensation increases?

What about folks earning $100K per year who’ve inherited millions from dead relatives? Should they not ask for a pay raise and just be happy with what they already have, just because other people aren’t so lucky?

Why are we to decide who is and isn’t allowed to seek more control over their lives or a bigger piece of the financial pie? How would you respond to someone trying to say you already have enough and should stop seeking more of anything?
Except part of Geo's argument is that other scholarship holders get all these opportunities to cash in while he can't. I guess he can't because he's already been paid and he signed the paperwork agreeing to that deal. He's not getting rich to be sure but neither is the kid tutoring or giving trumpet lessons.

For about $6.5K a year (directly into his pocket) Geo signed his NIL away for a chance to elevate his game to the point he can profit from it in the future. He's mad about that now but his comparisons of the scholarships are purposefully disingenuous and at least for some who've paid their own student debt and now have children whom they are supporting that becomes... upsetting.

Geo is not CEO in this example. He's a worker bee who signs a yearly contract to work at his craft in order to elevate his team as a whole in hopes that after 4 years or less his skills will be good enough to get his foot in the door of the Fortune 500.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rutgers36
Except part of Geo's argument is that other scholarship holders get all these opportunities to cash in while he can't. I guess he can't because he's already been paid and he signed the paperwork agreeing to that deal. He's not getting rich to be sure but neither is the kid tutoring or giving trumpet lessons.

For about $6.5K a year (directly into his pocket) Geo signed his NIL away for a chance to elevate his game to the point he can profit from it in the future. He's mad about that now but his comparisons of the scholarships are purposefully disingenuous and at least for some who've paid their own student debt and now have children whom they are supporting that becomes... upsetting.

Geo is not CEO in this example. He's a worker bee who signs a yearly contract to work at his craft in order to elevate his team as a whole in hopes that after 4 years or less his skills will be good enough to get his foot in the door of the Fortune 500.
Worker bees were covered in my "makes 100K and inherited millions" example.

I support ANYBODY seeking to better their situation, from CEOs to worker-bees to college students to kindergarteners. That's the American dream. As in every other thing, there are always consequences (intended and unintended) to be considered and worked out. That's not a reason to not try. It's a reason to work through the details and arrive at a compromise.

We can talk or argue about the details of this issue for the sake of having something fun to discuss. No problem. But demonizing the kid for trying to improve his (and others) situation is lame. I dislike it when people, who seek to take advantage of the American dream themselves, seek just as hard (or often harder) to prevent or otherwise interfere with others trying to do the same.

Who are any of us to interfere with other people's potential prosperity? We should focus on our own lives and not get so involved trying to hold other people back.

Does you care what ANY politician thinks?

If Schumer and/or Pelosi said they had the votes to pass something, I'd care. If McConnell said he was going to throw Republican support at something the Democrats were trying to pass, I'd care.

Senator NoName's opinion? Yeah, I don't care. There are literally three people making all of the decisions and I just named them above.

If Schumer and/or Pelosi said they had the votes to pass something, I'd care. If McConnell said he was going to throw Republican support at something the Democrats were trying to pass, I'd care.

Senator NoName's opinion? Yeah, I don't care. There are literally three people making all of the decisions and I just named them above.
Okay. That's reasonable. I personally don't really care very much what any of them say, right, left, or center.

I'm headed off on a tangent. But the only time I care a little is when they say stuff that is highly divisive and/or demonizing of Americans. I do not mean ideologically divisive, because that's impossible for any politician to avoid. People will always divide about specific issues and that's fine.

I mean divisive in ways that can and should be easily avoided. Such as the needless, useless, and deeply harmful generalized demonizing of various groups of people or national institutions (e.g. "reps suck", "dems suck", or "the fbi sucks"). Ridiculous when politicians say such nonsense.

Ordinary people can say whatever they want. Nobody cares. But politicians are supposed to unite us, not divide us. Even if they have to lie about how they really feel. Because division makes us weaker and easier to exploit by (a) those who wish us harm and (b) stupid people who simply don't know any better.

And we're all far more alike than different. When politicians start focusing on the similarities, I might start paying them more attention.

But I expect pigs to fly before that ever happens. 😀

I’ll end this thread by saying I’ve been in this business for 30 years.
No one should ever lose control of their own image and likeness, you’re born with it, it’s your intellectual property and belongs to you and no one else.
Period end.
That’s all Geo wants, has no interest in being paid to play as many on here mistakenly think.
Absolutely no one has the right to use your name and likeness without your consent and permission.

I’ll end this thread by saying I’ve been in this business for 30 years.
No one should ever lose control of their own image and likeness, you’re born with it, it’s your intellectual property and belongs to you and no one else.
Period end.
That’s all Geo wants, has no interest in being paid to play as many on here mistakenly think.
Absolutely no one has the right to use your name and likeness without your consent and permission.

This has been my point all along. If the NCAA would simply give on the NIL (name, image, likeness) issue, which they should, they would likely avoid the avalanche that is athlete compensation. At least for a while. Instead the NCAA will continue to fight NIL, lose in court, and then have legal precedent against them. All the while the folks here who get confused by clocks with Roman numerals will blame the athletes and call them selfish.

That's what you give them when you agree to take a sports scholarship.
I thought that is what the school gives them in turn for their athletic ability to represent the school.

the NCAA should just setup a trust for kids for after college with funds earned from NIL or something along those lines. Sort of like with football that you earn that if you stay within college for at least 3yrs or whatever. Again I’m only thinking out loud to make it fair to student athletes. Not an entire solution to account for camps and things like that

Reactions: bethlehemfan
I thought that is what the school gives them in turn for their athletic ability to represent the school.

the NCAA should just setup a trust for kids for after college with funds earned from NIL or something along those lines. Sort of like with football that you earn that if you stay within college for at least 3yrs or whatever. Again I’m only thinking out loud to make it fair to student athletes. Not an entire solution to account for camps and things like that
It’s a complicated topic. I’m sure more could be done to make it equitable.

That's what you give them when you agree to take a sports scholarship.
That will and should change.
Doesn’t mean little kids don’t get free autographs after the spring game, doesn’t mean players won’t donate their time.
It means don’t use my name or face without my permission...that ain’t asking for much.
It means if I’m working at your clinic you’re charging kids to come to, I get paid

Last edited:
Reactions: cm_13 and zebnatto

Do you realize how small that stipend is at some schools?

Do you realize how small that stipend is at some schools?
Almost surely correlated to the cost of living at said school.

Here's a good question that I legit do not know the answer to; In normal times do the players live on campus or off campus?

All I know is Geo is ready to go tonight and game will go in. Now let’s bri g out the fireworks ON the court

Almost surely correlated to the cost of living at said school.

Here's a good question that I legit do not know the answer to; In normal times do the players live on campus or off campus?

it is on the order of $2000 a year at most places, a smidge more at others

it is on the order of $2000 a year at most places, a smidge more at others
Not according to the formula I read.

Now check full cost of attendance vs. Tuition, R&B etc.

Around $6.5K or so a year at RU if you're on campus. Double it if off.

Not insignificant if your every other need is fully and professionally catered to.

BTW that article is from 6 years ago and contains a table that puts RU at close to $3K at that time. It's more than doubled since.

Last edited:
I couldn't care less if they win tomorrow. We have an incredibly unlikable team and part of me looks forward to booing geo each and every time he sets foot back in the rac if he loses this game for us. The only one I'm rooting for is Jacob young, a true man of business who keeps his stuff in check and plays hard every night

I hope he's prepared for his legacy to be one of the most despised RU players in our history. Hopefully he is aware that's what awaits him if we do not win after this shitstorm he cooked up.

IMO, Geo has soured this entire ncaa experience. I have liked teams that haven't gone to the ncaa much more than this one.
Best team in years and you don’t like them ??? Get outta here

Reactions: RickB113
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT