ADVERTISEMENT

Geo Baker Tweet

If we are going to talk about compensation for the players, let's start with the annual cost of attendance for out of state students that live on campus: $53,713. That includes, book, travel to/from campus, loan fees ($106, negligible in this context) and miscellaneous.

Rutgers cost of attendance

So he's been compensated to the tune of roughly $210k. That's before the coaching, training and support investment the school has made in him. That easily has to add up to another $200-$300k. Call it $500k investment in every 4 year player.

What's Rutgers monetary profit from this investment? How much has the basketball team made during his time here?

pretty simple....he should quit. He’s not happy. That’s what you do in the real world. Not happy with your job, you quit and find something else. He has options, g league, international ball, etc. better yet, organize and start your own amateur league. If enough players do this, then we’ll get a free market response from the ncaa. Maybe he’ll get $10K and Luke Nathan will $250. I’m sure it will change their lives forever.
But these guys should be careful. College basketball is a surreal life altering experience as you’re put on a pedestal, build a massive network and just have the time of your life. Not sure an semi-pro career where he’s living in an random apartment building in a random town will be all that exciting.
If you ask me it looks like he quit some time ago and already focused on where he can make the $$$.

I do agree these kids should be compensated a bit, but where do you draw the line is the issue.

At the end of the day paying a kid on the football team or basketball team makes sense, but then you have to pay every other athlete in the school, can't not pay the womens volley ball team or that would be a title ix issue. No one cares about the rowing team, but they need to be compensated. I think what should happen is that a fund should be set up for these players, and if they graduate they are granted that fund. So when it comes to time in college no one is getting a step up over the other by getting paid and there is a monetary reward at the end of the day.
Rutgers is like negative 40,000,000 every year in their athletic budget. Does the state of NJ foot the bill?

Agree or disagree, Geo is posting this at this time because all eyes are on him. Maximum exposure for his cause. He has a bit of point. When I was at RU on full academic scholarship my roommate (also on full scholarship) started a web development business and then a Y2K company that netted him some serious money. If he can do it, athletes should as well. Though, for this to work, some serious financial auditing will need to take place. Where it can go wrong and probably the fear by the NCAA is having a school and some donors setting up a shell company for an athlete then magically buying $1M worth of t-shirts or the like.
As an academic scholly recipient did you get a monthly stipend? Have a building just for you and other academic scholly kids to go to to have your every need catered to? You were smart off the top but did you have what equates to an academic personal assistant there who knew exactly your workload and a held you to a personally tailored plan to graduate?

I'm genuinely curious because I was just a C student a$$hole who left Rutgers with early adulthood altering debt. I'm not attacking you. I just have questions about what you were responsible for since Geo thinks comparing his scholly to yours is apples to apples.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
But it is

He and the others knew that and still signed.

It's like anything else, if you do not like the terms then do not sign, and find something else to do.
Every thing came so easy for this kids. But when they realized they are not pro material they want the money now.

Wow. I thought geo was our leader. Unfortunately he is too immature. Timing is absolutely ridiculous they need to be focuses on one thing. That is winning. They are on the cusp of making a run to the national championship for the first time in 30 years and he is talking about getting paid which will not happen while he is in school.

timing is everything. This conversation could easily have waited until next week, next month or next year. Please don’t pretend is couldn’t have.

geo better put his money where his mouth is. He wants to get paid then we better not see a performance like we saw against Nebraska, illinois, penn state....

Reactions: bac2therac
As long as there are 2 paths. Professional and non professional Geo has no beef in my eyes. He chose the non professional path.

There is only one real solution; ending college sports as a form of entertainment.

No more spectators and no more television contracts. Just play in front of friends and family. There is no way to fairly divide college sports revenue among participants without turning it into a pro league. Anything in-between complete de-entertainmentification of college sports and the system we have now leads to a market inefficiency that would collapse on its footprint in the long run.

What is your solution? You open the box and collegiate sports as you know it disintegrates......except for 20 programs
Isn’t it that way now? The same 10 schools get every recruit in football. The same teams make the 4 team playoff. It is also very rare for a non blue blood to become a consistent basketball power as well. It happens more than it does it football, but the same schools still get the top recruits. What exactly would change?

LOL. Those guys are the biggest betas on the internet. “Alot of people would support you if you dont take the court” yeahhhhh, nah lol. Like 5% of woke warriors would the rest of us would laugh and say oh well, hope you feel good about yourselves, now have fun seeing what modern slavery is really like playing in gyms of 500 people in england making $35k a year trying to hold onto an unrealistic dream living in a team supplied dorm style apartment eating ramen noodles every night

I blocked those losers the last time they took up this mantle with the players. I never even followed them but there were other fans I followed that would like their garbage takes. Best thing I did on Twitter TBH.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Wow. I thought geo was our leader. Unfortunately he is too immature. Timing is absolutely ridiculous they need to be focuses on one thing. That is winning. They are on the cusp of making a run to the national championship for the first time in 30 years and he is talking about getting paid which will not happen while he is in school.

timing is everything. This conversation could easily have waited until next week, next month or next year. Please don’t pretend is couldn’t have.

geo better put his money where his mouth is. He wants to get paid then we better not see a performance like we saw against Nebraska, illinois, penn state....
If Geo was a leader he would take a charge when in proper help position instead of getting out of the way. Same for the other captain.

Bottom line this is a byproduct of being stuck in a hotel 24/7.

You can’t practice and play video games all day and there is a significant amount of free time – of course these guys have nothing better to do than just sit around and think/talk and social media makes it too easy to spout off.

I get it is a time when people are paying attention BUT if Rutgers goes out and loses we will automatically wish they spent more time focusing on the task at hand than using their station to push an agenda...

Let UNC or Duke players lead this charge - they dance every year (😉) - so our fans can enjoy this momentous occasion and share in this joy with the team...

Reactions: BoogieKnight
I’m all for players being able to profit off their image and likeness - the reality is that 99% of these players probably have an overinflated perception of what their “worth” is.

Having 5,000 Twitter followers doesn’t translate into much worth. And once they graduate people will quickly forget about them (unless they go pro).

The very large majority of these kids should spend their time and energy taking advantage of all of the resources, opportunities and connections they have at their disposal being a college D1 athlete. Just look at Myles - he started the Black Dev initiative and it led to an internship with IBM.

The sad thing is a majority of college athletes don’t take advantage or appreciate what they currently have available to them and value making a few hundred/thousands of dollars over a couple years in their college career more.

Isn’t it that way now? The same 10 schools get every recruit in football. The same teams make the 4 team playoff. It is also very rare for a non blue blood to become a consistent basketball power as well. It happens more than it does it football, but the same schools still get the top recruits. What exactly would change?
You open the box and the gap gets wider. Rutgers wouldn’t be able to compete in the B1G. Where would it come up with the money to pay both FB and CBB athletes?

Notre Dame would not have a problem.

His legacy has really morphed into a baby off the court who had a few big shots in his career while averaging 10 ppg. Frankly.

I don’t know about baby off the court just yet. Winning solves everything. But if we lose, it will be because geo and Ron did not show up. They will then have to answer the question why they were mot focused.

just like when Jordan decided togolf and gamble before big games. You win no one cares. You lose and it is a big deal. The difference is Jordan was the best ever and could back it up. Ron and geonot so much.

There is only one real solution; ending college sports as a form of entertainment.

No more spectators and no more television contracts. Just play in front of friends and family. There is no way to fairly divide college sports revenue among participants without turning it into a pro league. Anything in-between complete de-entertainmentification of college sports and the system we have now leads to a market inefficiency that would collapse on its footprint in the long run.
This is 100% true.

Reactions: cicero grimes
I’m all for players being able to profit off their image and likeness - the reality is that 99% of these players probably have an overinflated perception of what their “worth” is.

Having 5,000 Twitter followers doesn’t translate into much worth. And once they graduate people will quickly forget about them (unless they go pro).

The very large majority of these kids should spend their time and energy taking advantage of all of the resources, opportunities and connections they have at their disposal being a college D1 athlete. Just look at Myles - he started the Black Dev initiative and it led to an internship with IBM.

The sad thing is a majority of college athletes don’t take advantage or appreciate what they currently have available to them and value making a few hundred/thousands of dollars over a couple years in their college career more.
This is so on the money (figuratively and literally)

Maybe if CJ Getty's got paid he wouldn't have to sell his game worn shorts and chase wall street bet investments to make a living, or if he actually realized pro basketball isn't in the cards for him.

I do not think they should get paid by the league/schools etc but they should be able to profit off their name and have rights to their own image.

geos example prior to the losing streak was he couldn’t run a camp using his name. He should be able to do that if he so wishes.

also wish they didn’t do this at this time butI mean their platform is as big as it can be.

Agree or disagree, Geo is posting this at this time because all eyes are on him. Maximum exposure for his cause. He has a bit of point. When I was at RU on full academic scholarship my roommate (also on full scholarship) started a web development business and then a Y2K company that netted him some serious money. If he can do it, athletes should as well. Though, for this to work, some serious financial auditing will need to take place. Where it can go wrong and probably the fear by the NCAA is having a school and some donors setting up a shell company for an athlete then magically buying $1M worth of t-shirts or the like.

Who is saying geo can't go start a company? NCAA has no problem if Geo started a company or works at the local wendy's. The NCAA is saying he cant get paid based on his affiliation with the basketball team. If geo wants to start a company go for it. If he wants to get compensated for playing a sport unfortunatly the scholarship is all he can get.

Everyone gets to play in the free market capitalism game except those creating the value. I get it now...
LOL. Was waiting for this one.

capitalism- free market voluntary exchanges of goods and services of value.

NIL- simply pay for play. Aka which school has the most donors with money they can light on fire with zero chance of ROI.

these are not the same.

I blocked those losers the last time they took up this mantle with the players. I never even followed them but there were other fans I followed that would like their garbage takes. Best thing I did on Twitter TBH.
I had to unignore to check their tweet haha

I don’t understand the “if you don’t like it don’t play” crowd, you should not have to boycott something you’ve put in years of hard work to get to so you can have ownership of YOUR OWN LIKENESS. Geo taking the tournament off won’t do anything. Either it’s going to have to happen through a legitimate boycott of all teams or a long-term push. Still, spreading the message is at least something to bring awareness to this problem. Good on Geo and ron

This broke this morning. I am surprised it took so long to get posted over here. I wasn't gonna be the one to start the fire lol.

Pikiell can come out and say this is all fine and whatever. But I am sorry. My concern has always been his too touchy and feely approach and not enough fire and control. There's a time and place and he could help manage this. Instead he's fueling it with his comments. And you wonder why we come out in games the way we do. Sorry. That's my opinion.

You can support your kids and coach them at the same time. I don't think CVS or Schiano would be approaching this the same way. oh well. Somebody had to throw some water on the excitement.

(#NotNCAAProperty) well thank God this came out AFTER the seedings...

Who actually thinks he's coming back?

If Geo doesn't stop attacking the NCAA, methinks there will be an NCAA investigation of possible Rutgers recruiting violations down the pike. No pun intended. In light of his continued complaining, how can anyone think that he is coming back for a fifth year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT