ADVERTISEMENT

Geo Baker Tweet

So he's been compensated to the tune of roughly $210k. That's before the coaching, training and support investment the school has made in him. That easily has to add up to another $200-$300k. Call it $500k investment in every 4 year player.

What's Rutgers monetary profit from this investment? How much has the basketball team made during his time here?
I honestly hope NIL passes so I don’t have to see or hear people spout off on the atrocities of the NCAA while they’re getting pampered like a bunch of spoiled children. These players think they’re worth hundreds of thousands if not millions when they would likely get a couple hundred dollars each if they could profit of their likeness.

Do some of you have nothing in your life that you disagree with - about your spouse, your work, etc? There are plenty of things in my life that I don’t agree with - but it doesn’t mean that I work any less hard while I work to seek change. And yes, outspokenly work to seek change. I might recognize my fortunate position and still seek change - it doesn’t necessarily mean I want to walk away.

So why should a basketball player just have to “shut up and dribble”?

Isn’t that just saying you, as a person, are meaningless, and it’s only your skill set that matters? You know, almost like property.

No one is telling him to shut up and dribble. What we are saying is wait a week.

Of course i disagree with my boss at times. However in 2008 after seeing our company go from 1100 employees in NYC down to 600 overnight, i knew that it was not the right time to let my boss know that i disagreed with him/company or that i wanted a raise. I kept a low profile, put my head down and worked my ass off.

Reactions: knight82
So he's been compensated to the tune of roughly $210k. That's before the coaching, training and support investment the school has made in him. That easily has to add up to another $200-$300k. Call it $500k investment in every 4 year player.

What's Rutgers monetary profit from this investment? How much has the basketball team made during his time here?
Just like every other person with a full scholarship, every RU player worked incredibly hard to get one. Difference is one group has control of their likeness and one doesn’t.

No one is telling him to shut up and dribble. What we are saying is wait a week.

Of course i disagree with my boss at times. However in 2008 after seeing our company go from 1100 employees in NYC down to 600 overnight, i knew that it was not the right time to let my boss know that i disagreed with him/company or that i wanted a raise. I kept a low profile, put my head down and worked my ass off.
Nobody will care next week

Reactions: DC8690
The real solution is to get sneaker companies out of the game. Cap the amount coaches can be paid. Hire many individuals to monitor illegal activity. Ban elaborate practice facilities.

then there would be money left.

I agree 100%. There is no way a state school should be spending $2M on someone coaching basketball.

Who actually thinks he's coming back?
Hes gonna get released from the shackles of “modern day slavery” and go make $40k overseas in a rainy dreary country living in a dorm room eating garbage. Hes gonna wish he was still in college. He’ll probably sell like 100 autographs for maybe $20 each which the card company will take half of and he’ll make $1,000. He’ll probably try to sell tee shirts for $20/each and sell maybe 50 of them. I hope he makes a ton of money, i really do but hes really in for rude awakening with reality unfortunately. Id have no problem telling him this to his face, unfortunately hes too coddling by those around him for someone to get real with him.

This broke this morning. I am surprised it took so long to get posted over here. I wasn't gonna be the one to start the fire lol.

Pikiell can come out and say this is all fine and whatever. But I am sorry. My concern has always been his too touchy and feely approach and not enough fire and control. There's a time and place and he could help manage this. Instead he's fueling it with his comments. And you wonder why we come out in games the way we do. Sorry. That's my opinion.

You can support your kids and coach them at the same time. I don't think CVS or Schiano would be approaching this the same way. oh well. Somebody had to throw some water on the excitement.

(#NotNCAAProperty) well thank God this came out AFTER the seedings...

I just dont know why geo would want to put pikiell in a situation where he has to defend him.... selfish

• Sad
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Everyone gets to play in the free market capitalism game except those creating the value. I get it now...
Geo is a Truck driver working for Amazon. Without truck drivers Amazon would be nothing. However Geo can be replaced just like a truck driver. The management team is really what is creating wealth.

comparing Geo the basketball player to a truck driver isn’t quite fair, but if all 4000 D1 hoops players were replaced March Madness would be the same.

How about this, let them make all money they can, but take away all the scholarships. See how they would
like that?
Good bye degrees, now it will be all about the money.

Reactions: RU2131 and RUDead
The NCAA should pay all the players. Then the minute one gets a DWI, arrested for whatever reason, fails a couple classes, tweets something they don't like they should be fired. Like all the other losers like us who out on a suit and tie and go to work.

They should also be fined as well.

These players don't realize what they have.

Have these guys been to a G-league game? No one wants to pay to see them play.

I kinda almost want them to do it so after the other teams play they realize what clowns they are and that no one cares
[/QUOTE
[QUOTE="kyk1827, post: 5023204, member: 2102"
Hes gonna get released from the shackles of “modern day slavery” and go make $40k overseas in a rainy dreary country living in a dorm room eating garbage. Hes gonna wish he was still in college. He’ll probably sell like 100 autographs for maybe $20 each which the card company will take half of and he’ll make $1,000. He’ll probably try to sell tee shirts for $20/each and sell maybe 50 of them. I hope he makes a ton of money, i really do but hes really in for rude awakening with reality unfortunately. Id have no problem telling him this to his face, unfortunately hes too coddling by those around him for someone to get real with him.
[/QUOTE]
Who Tf are you to say what is a good and not good way to go about someone’s life? You consistently bring up the wage when that isn’t the only thing important in life. And if you think it is, then that is really sad. Selling houses and stocks isn’t the pinnacle of life. Sometimes playing ball in another country and experiencing life in your 20s isn’t a bad thing. Plus it doesn’t matter how much Geo would make, he at the very least should be in ownership of his own likeness. There’s a story about a kicker for some team in Florida who had a decent following on his YouTube channel until the NCAA kicked him off the team. Guess what? That guy is making hundreds of thousands of dollars on YouTube every year. There is clear interest in these guys and even if they don’t make 1000 dollars, they should have the ability to do what they want with their OWN IDENTITY.

I’m actually laughing at the people in this thread who actively take the stance “college players shouldn’t be able to get paid off their own image and likeness.” Like if that is something you have a passionate opinion about I find that kind of sad.
I’m actually laughing at the people in this thread who actively take the stance “college players shouldn’t be able to get paid off their own image and likeness.” Like if that is something you have a passionate opinion about I find that kind of sad.
That is not the problem. The problem is there is a time and a place.

Reactions: RU-AGK
Cmon...He's right!

It's a BS system..we all know it. Attacking him and the rest of the guys now, of all times, is a super selfish look. You think they aren't all in? They LITERALLY can't even leave their hotel rooms. These guys gave us so much joy and people are actually bashing them? Why?

Also tweeting takes like 5 seconds

That is not the problem. The problem is there is a time and a place.
I think some people are forgetting that all the athletes posting that hashtag are not allowed to leave their hotel room. Like for the 22 hours a day that they are in there should they have to be watching film every minute of it? If they decide to load up twitter and tweet their opinion they suddenly don’t care about the game anymore?

It's 2021, time to evolve the model.

I agree. Big time men's football and basketball have no place in institutions of higher learner. Do away with athletic scholarships.

No other country in the world trains their professional athletes in this manner. Let our professional football and basketball teams build junior programs and academies similar to professional hockey and soccer. End the sham of student-athlete.

I can hear the howls of protest now. 😛

The principle of players being paid for their image and likeness is fine, but you know it is guaranteed to end in boosters with pockets just being more transparent in funneling money to recruits rather than using bag men under the table. Maybe that would be a good thing if all of the top programs are finding ways to pay players already. It would highlight the gap between the haves and the have-nots for sure.

Also, as others have said: 99.99% of college athletes have close to zero value that is independent of the connection to a school. Zion Williamson was one exception.

So what you’re saying is, his greatest chance of making money off basketball is right now? If only there wasn’t some force standing in the way of that.

But Geo has ownership of his own likeness. Geo is free to stop playing basketball at any point in time and sell his likeness. He just cant do it and play on the Rutgers basketball team. He can make the decision today.

The same thing for jersey tax payers and rutgers students. They should move out of jersey or leave rutgers if they do not want to foot the bill for Geo to have world class facilities, tutors, trainers, professional coaching, travel across the country and world to play a games against exceptional talent so that he can have a good college experience, promote his brand or go make money playing.

For some reason Geo thinks he generates money for the school and the other students.

The principle of players being paid for their image and likeness is fine, but you know it is guaranteed to end in boosters with pockets just being more transparent in funneling money to recruits rather than using bag men under the table. Maybe that would be a good thing if all of the top programs are finding ways to pay players already. It would highlight the gap between the haves and the have-nots for sure.

Also, as others have said: 99.99% of college athletes have close to zero value that is independent of the connection to a school. Zion Williamson was one exception.

I think we all know that its not so black and white. We can tell the difference between 6-figure autograph signings and Geo running a basketball camp for some middle school kids over the summer.

Athletes getting paid under the table will continue to be paid under the table. Anyone who believes all the big schools aren't already doing it are naive.

[QUOTE="kyk1827, post: 5023204, member: 2102"
Who Tf are you to say what is a good and not good way to go about someone’s life? You consistently bring up the wage when that isn’t the only thing important in life. And if you think it is, then that is really sad. Selling houses and stocks isn’t the pinnacle of life. Sometimes playing ball in another country and experiencing life in your 20s isn’t a bad thing. Plus it doesn’t matter how much Geo would make, he at the very least should be in ownership of his own likeness. There’s a story about a kicker for some team in Florida who had a decent following on his YouTube channel until the NCAA kicked him off the team. Guess what? That guy is making hundreds of thousands of dollars on YouTube every year. There is clear interest in these guys and even if they don’t make 1000 dollars, they should have the ability to do what they want with their OWN IDENTITY.
[/QUOTE]
First and foremost money means very little to me, I lived in a studio apartment until I was 30 years old and I lease a ford for about $300 a month despite having a pretty high net worth and making a lot of money.

that college kicker was a back up and his YouTube following started way prior to him landing on campus. Cases like that should be an exception he clearly created his value totally separate from exploiting a loophole to enable pay for play

I agree. Big time men's football and basketball have no place in institutions of higher learner. Do away with athletic scholarships.

No other country in the world trains their professional athletes in this manner. Let our professional football and basketball teams build junior programs and academies similar to professional hockey and soccer. End the sham of student-athlete.

I can hear the howls of protest now. 😛
It’s crazy how engrained worker exploitation and corporate boot licking is in American society that people are upset about players wanting to have ownership of their likeness😂 We are the one country that uses this stupid model, time to do away with it!

Geo is a Truck driver working for Amazon. Without truck drivers Amazon would be nothing. However Geo can be replaced just like a truck driver. The management team is really what is creating wealth.

comparing Geo the basketball player to a truck driver isn’t quite fair, but if all 4000 D1 hoops players were replaced March Madness would be the same.

And this is why unions exist in a free market...keep them coming fellas. Love how you guys support this kids. It's inspiring...

I think this might've also been brought up because of issues with their current situation. The NCAA can afford to do better than this.

Amazed at some of these comments, considering you all consider yourselves 'supporters' of these young men. CBS paying damn near $1B for these rights. Meanwhile, Geo can't even conduct a basketball clinic back in Derry, NH and charge kids $50 without it being a NCAA violation...but at the same time Coach K can run Duke fantasy camps for old white dudes for $5k a week. You have to be kidding me if you think the system isn't broken and they should shut up and dribble because they get a scholarship. It's 2021, time to evolve the model.
If you seriously think paying players is the way to go. Get ready for Football and Men's basketball, with whatever women's teams needed to make up the scholarship count for Title IX considerations. You somehow think schools are flush with cash or a slush fund is just hiding somewhere.

AD's will use this to cut sports to the bare minimum in the quest for revenue neutrality. How many schools actually make money? 20 maybe 25. Think it can't happen look at what Title IX did to Olympic sports. Think about the consequences before you proclaim it's not fair.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU-AGK and RUDead
So what you’re saying is, his greatest chance of making money off basketball is right now? If only there wasn’t some force standing in the way of that.
LOL, no. If you would follow my post here you would know that I actually started a thread saying that Geo is much better off going to work for a living than trying to hold onto a basketball dream that essentially pays minimum wage. Cute try tho cupcake

I'm sure the playing conditions this year are driving this. What these guys have gone through is brutal, I'd be at my wit's end if it were me. Could you imagine if you were on a team with real locker room issues? They're the only people you'd see for 6 straight months.

If you seriously think paying players is the way to go. Get ready for Football and Men's basketball, with whatever women's teams needed to make up the scholarship count for Title IX considerations. You somehow think schools are flush with cash or a slush fund is just hiding somewhere. AD's will use this to cut sports to the bare minimum in the quest for revenue neutrality. How many schools actually make money? 20 maybe 25. Think about the consequences before you proclaim it's not fair.
The players are asking to be able to monetize their image and likeness. Not to get put on the state payroll.

Haha these guys are in a dream world. They are complaining about food that regular students are forced to eat daily. how out of touch can you be.

If i was the NCAA i would just cancel the whole thing. If you cant do it right do not do it.

Also that Hashtag isn't about being "Paid" like an employee. It's about being able to make a few bucks off their own name and likeness. Which is 100% fair

Problem is, why would "a few bucks" solve all this. Even if they make 10k a year, the NCAA league is worth billions of dollars.

If you seriously think paying players is the way to go. Get ready for Football and Men's basketball, with whatever women's teams needed to make up the scholarship count for Title IX considerations. You somehow think schools are flush with cash or a slush fund is just hiding somewhere. AD's will use this to cut sports to the bare minimum in the quest for revenue neutrality. How many schools actually make money? 20 maybe 25. Think about the consequences before you proclaim it's not fair.
Follow the conversation. No one is saying the schools should pay players. What they are saying is the players should be allowed to monetize their Name, Image and Likeness. 2 very different conversations. NCAA already in essence has said they are moving to do this...but they keep stalling the conversation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT