ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Birthday Scarlet.....

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
...not Scarlet Knights, just Scarlet. 154 years old today!

While the uniforms have featured scarlet, black and white in their make-up, Rutgers has only one official color - scarlet. It was first proposed in the Targum and ratified by almost all the students at daily services in chapel on May 17, 1869 and made official by the school administration in January, 1900. They defined the color scarlet as a mix of 85% blood red and 15% cadmium orange.

And when the newspapers didn't refer to Rutgers, they would refer to them as the Scarlet team..

...not Scarlet Knights, just Scarlet. 154 years old today!

While the uniforms have featured scarlet, black and white in their make-up, Rutgers has only one official color - scarlet. It was first proposed in the Targum and ratified by almost all the students at daily services in chapel on May 17, 1869 and made official by the school administration in January, 1900. They defined the color scarlet as a mix of 85% blood red and 15% cadmium orange.

And when the newspapers didn't refer to Rutgers, they would refer to them as the Scarlet team..
Wish we would drop the Knights...and just be the Scarlet!

MO

Interesting timing since I think I read we were supposed to wear Orange scarfs at the first football game and then switched to Red because that was available? Do I have that correct?

William Elliot Griffis graduated in the spring of 1869 and played class football at Rutgers. He was later identified in the 1869 July Targum as writing:

“We believe that, after all, we were justified in changing our colors from the Dutch tri-color, orange, white and blue [adopted spring of 1868], to scarlet. Not that we were afraid of being considered Dutchy, as ‘Rectus’ in the last Targum complains of so generously, but because it was impossible to get a true orange tint, outside of the Gobelin tapestry or an autumnal sunset, so we changed our colors. We noticed, after traversing the mighty land of dykes itself, this summer, that out of about twenty-five Dutch flags not more than three or four floated a true Orange. We wondered how the ashes of the great Prince of Orange could be still in the spongy soil, while the flags of Holland, in so many cases, flaunted a hybrid of dirty yellow, genuine red, or haggard pumkin-color..."

Last edited:
Thank goodness they were out of orange at the local Hobby Lobby and Michael’s that day.

Nobody looks good in orange. Nobody.

85% blood red and 15% cadmium orange

This is why the official Pantone color in the style guide is wrong. It is designed for PRINTED media... paper.. signs.. etc. Stuff that has to be read. It should have nothing to do with uniform colors.

/off soapbox (feeling lucky I have not had to complain about things very obviously NOT SCARLET in uniforms recently.. it hasn't been perfect.. but much better than the Flood years efforts).

Thank goodness they were out of orange at the local Hobby Lobby and Michael’s that day.

Nobody looks good in orange. Nobody.
I dunno.. Tennessee's orange is pretty nice
445e1e618549f0a7aa831607c41c602f.jpg

Reactions: Section124
Does anybody have the ability to local a color palate online that allows you to electronically blend 85% the red of blood with 15% the color of cadmium orange and post it in this thread?

They specifically pointed out the cadmium orange's job is to "brighten" the blood red. But I have no idea what the ideal blend is suppose to look like.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT