ADVERTISEMENT

Hernendaz proves an important point

CindaKane2

Redshirt
Dec 11, 2014
Rutgers wont make it far this year with just mindrange jumpshots and a poor inconsistent performance from the paint. Teams know how to play the Scarlet Knights... a ZONE !! Wisconsin proved why Stringer needs to put her shooters (Paerson and Hernendaz) in when Scaife and Cooper are 30% from the field !! Hopefully while Amanda Zahui is punishing the KINGHTS in the paint Stringer can make up for it on the offensive side of it with the shooters she recruited !!!!

This post was edited on 1/22 6:27 PM by CindaKane2

Originally posted by CindaKane2:
Rutgers wont make it far this year with just mindrange jumpshots and a poor inconsistent performance from the paint. Teams know how to play the Scarlet Knights... a ZONE !! Wisconsin proved why Stringer needs to put her shooters (Paerson and Hernendaz) in when Scaife and Cooper are 30% from the field !! Hopefully while Amanda Zahui is punishing the KINGHTS in the paint Stringer can make up for it on the offensive side of it with the shooters she recruited !!!!

This post was edited on 1/22 6:27 PM by CindaKane2
Bingo! It is also why in games against the top 25 Hernandez and Pearson need to be in there more and allowed to shoot the 3 point shot. Iowa killed us because of their outside shooters. And by scoring from 3 point lane, it will actually open up the paint for Hollivay and Butts.

Of course, the number of games when Copper and Scaife are both shooting at 30% is going to be pretty low.

While I'm glad CVS got Cynthia and Natalie, what I'd really like is for Tyler to take more 3s.

I am certain our designated three pt shooters will see more time. What is holding them back is their lack of understanding of defensive assignments. As Hernendes said " there is just so much to learn".
Im not sure where Paerson's is on the learning curve, but Hernendaz seems ready. I counted as least 4 defensive assignments she missed last game, permitting her man to drive and score.

As for the post position, yes their performances are sad, and I doubt if it will improve. All three are lacking in presence in the paint, rebounding, and scoring.

I agree the shooting percentage of Copper and Scafe will not remain at 30%. Although Scafe's lack of scoring of late, has become a real concern. I hope Michelle, will help her overcome this slump she is in. And true, if the players (Canty, Laney Scafe and Copper) don't start driving and creating shots, zone defense will kill us.
c

Isn't it Natalie PARSONS?

And one thing I have noticed re our post players.
Since Christa doesn't look to shoot and the other players on the court don't attempt
to force it in to feed her in the post, the O sometimes works more smoothly with her.
She sets picks, rebounds and plays D
Many of our turnovers happen when the zone compresses and we still try to feed the post
That is why Cynthia can be a difference maker.
The threat of the three forces the D out which opens the passing lanes to the post
This post was edited on 1/24 10:47 PM by motorb54

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT