ADVERTISEMENT

Hyatt to 2018!

Let me pop open this can of worms.

LSU played their first overseas game yesterday against the Dominican Republic National Team (they lost 92-88, no shame in that as the DR team showed well at the Pan-Am games). No box score exists but Hyatt isn't mentioned at all in any recap that I found. Given that Emmitt Williams, Javonte Smart, and Marlon Taylor are back for LSU, it seems to me that Hyatt is going to be buried on the depth chart this season.

Given our need for shooting, he absolutely would've played here last season (he redshirted at LSU) and based off of that could've been in the mix to start this year. Instead he's looking at limited minutes.

Who knows, maybe him not playing shows he was overrated and we dodged a bullet. But it sure would be nice to have him now. It really sucks that a guy who would have been a legitimately celebrated recruit here is wasting on the bench somewhere else because of, let's be real, slimy recruiting. Maybe we'll meet again in the transfer portal after this season.

Reactions: Night Man
Let me pop open this can of worms.

LSU played their first overseas game yesterday against the Dominican Republic National Team (they lost 92-88, no shame in that as the DR team showed well at the Pan-Am games). No box score exists but Hyatt isn't mentioned at all in any recap that I found. Given that Emmitt Williams, Javonte Smart, and Marlon Taylor are back for LSU, it seems to me that Hyatt is going to be buried on the depth chart this season.

Given our need for shooting, he absolutely would've played here last season (he redshirted at LSU) and based off of that could've been in the mix to start this year. Instead he's looking at limited minutes.

Who knows, maybe him not playing shows he was overrated and we dodged a bullet. But it sure would be nice to have him now. It really sucks that a guy who would have been a legitimately celebrated recruit here is wasting on the bench somewhere else because of, let's be real, slimy recruiting. Maybe we'll meet again in the transfer portal after this season.

He would not have played last year anywhere as he was rehabbing an ACL or miniscus tear in his knee late last srping and into summer and my guess would be either behind the depth chart again because of the redshirt, status and other talented pieces Will Wade has assembled at LSU. There is no way to know where he is health wise and if he's not in the boxscore, it's not because he's suddenly not talented.

If he was a transfer candidate, (not saying there is any indication he will), he will be in high demand again, because most schools view players on need and availability vs what others have on their roster. I believe RU's 2018-2019 season drastically reduced the need or reduced the impact of not landing Ismael Massoud or Aundre Hyatt, based on what we know now about Harper, MAthis and McConnell, vs this time last summer.

I would prefer Coleman Hawkins, Martice Mitchell or Darius Miles and some of the targets on our board in most cases, BUT if Hyatt would decide to depart LSU, someone would be getting Hyatt with 3 years left, which is essentially like a freshman 2020 type of recruit.

Here's the LSU breakdown minus 2 rotation players from their game vs Dominican republic

Williams - 34 min, 28 pts, 9 reb
Manning - 29 min, 8 pts, 6 reb
Smart - 28 min, 12 pts, 5 reb, 2 stl, 4 TO
Watford - 27 min, 18 pts, 2 reb
Mays - 26 min, 12 pts, 2 reb, 3 TO
Days - 21 min, 5 pts, 8 reb
Bishop - 16 min, 3 pts
Graves - 10 min, 2 pts, 2 stl, 1 blk
Hyatt - 6 min, no stats
Cooper - 3 min, 1 stl

Reactions: ruclass76
Hyatt not playing much in the first game doesn’t mean that can’t change. Harper got off to low minutes before breaking out. McConnell looked terrible in his first few games before growing into a big part of the rotation.

I wanted Hyatt and/or Massoud but my preference now is to move on.

Reactions: njcanesfan
Here's the LSU breakdown minus 2 rotation players from their game vs Dominican republic

Williams - 34 min, 28 pts, 9 reb
Manning - 29 min, 8 pts, 6 reb
Smart - 28 min, 12 pts, 5 reb, 2 stl, 4 TO
Watford - 27 min, 18 pts, 2 reb
Mays - 26 min, 12 pts, 2 reb, 3 TO
Days - 21 min, 5 pts, 8 reb
Bishop - 16 min, 3 pts
Graves - 10 min, 2 pts, 2 stl, 1 blk
Hyatt - 6 min, no stats
Cooper - 3 min, 1 stl

Maybe he was already recruited over with higher paid recruits.

I love when guys choose other schools over us and don’t play. If he came to Rutgers he would be playing 20 minutes a game and would have been apart of one of the greatest builds in basketball history

Unfortunately he took the money and didn’t play.

I love when guys choose other schools over us and don’t play. If he came to Rutgers he would be playing 20 minutes a game and would have been apart of one of the greatest builds in basketball history

Unfortunately he took the money and didn’t play.
? He played 16 minutes a game in conference this year.

He played, he just didn't light the world on fire.

24 games, 15 starts, 16.0 min, 4.2 pts (.286 3P% on just 35 attempts), 3.1 rb

We also went after Ismael Massoud in that recruiting cycle, who had a bit of a better run at Wake (21.6 min, 8.3 pts, 3.4 rb).... but is also in the portal.

.286 3P% on "JUST" 35 attempts. I wonder what made him pass up that 36th attempt. Some people should never, never, never be behind that line to take any shot. HAd more than one coaches yell at me ,"There's a reason that they're leaving you open out there."

.286 3P% on "JUST" 35 attempts. I wonder what made him pass up that 36th attempt. Some people should never, never, never be behind that line to take any shot. HAd more than one coaches yell at me ,"There's a reason that they're leaving you open out there."

What's the saying? Throwing stones in glass houses.

RHJ shot .291 in on 103 attempts in conference and he's on track to be our leading scorer next year.

Reactions: RUChoppin

35 is not a lot of attempts to base a 3P% on. If he'd made just one of those misses, he'd have been .314 instead of .286.... which would have jumped him from "worse than Mathis" to "better than Harper".

For comparison, Paul Mulcahy had 56 attempts this year (.393) and Caleb McConnell had 49 (.204). In his junior season when everyone was wondering why he never pulled the trigger, Issa Thiam had 63 attempts (.333). Eugene Omoruyi even had 45 in his junior season (.311)

Reading about a transfer portal player from Georgia to Dayton ... former NYC and Rutgers player Jeff Greer’s brother Ricardo is an assistant at Dayton. Did Ricardo play at Pitt with Brandin Knight?

Reading about a transfer portal player from Georgia to Dayton ... former NYC and Rutgers player Jeff Greer’s brother Ricardo is an assistant at Dayton. Did Ricardo play at Pitt with Brandin Knight?
Yes Ricardo 1997-2001 and Knight 1999-2003.

Wow you guys were hoping to land Ismael Massoud? He is not an ACC/B10 caliber player.

He could be with good coaching.
Danny Manning certainly sucks, but Steve Forbes is not a bad coach. This kid cannot play defense and is just an inconsistent shooter. I was glad he left so we can get one more player who can actually play at ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT