ADVERTISEMENT

I dont buy the narrative that schools better than RU want Pike and that’s why Hobbs keeps extending him

A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

Here is why I’m not buying what Hobbs tried to sell on the knight report podcast that he extends guys preemptively when he thinks other schools will start calling.

1) There’s only about 10 schools that can pay the “make me move” price which I believe is roughly $1,000,000 more per year than his current salary. Those schools are Arizona, Oregon, Texas A&M, Arkansas, UCLA, WVU, Illinois, Virginia, Auburn, Tennessee, Michigan State, Kansas, Kentucky.

Those schools arent looking for coaches and if those jobs opened up pike wouldnt be on shortlists

2) AD’s are focusing on offense with their hires these days. The best hire over the past number of years was nate oates. Offense, offense, offense. AD’s recognize that offense is what gets fans most excited and sells tix + it ultimately is what raises your ceiling.

Imagine being an AD for a school with a top 10 salary pool and hiring pike and saying, “guys we got this great coach, past 7 years in the b1g and won 1 total tourney game”. Theyd bring out the pitchforks. Can he take a shit program to average by virtue of simply out toughing teams? Hell yeah. Thing is those top 10 salary schools arent looking to go from historically bad to average, theyre looking to go from good to great.

3) $15,000,000 buy out. A school isnt paying that unless its a sure fire slam dunk proven coach. Pike is not that.

4) Pike is a northeast guy. Where the hell is he going

Ultimately, Hobbs needs to chill out with these annual extensions any time he has a couple good weeks. He already is signed super long term, with a ton of guaranteed money and a huge buyout. You don't need to extend him every year. You don’t extend guys and pay them more money when they do not have a single alternative that can offer them more than we can.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh I think a Notre Dame would be interested in Pike, there are some lower tier acc schools as well...even syracuse
Can they offer more than we can? Pikes contract has annual salary bumps of $250K/yr. Hes making $3.25mm starting 4/1 with top tier facilities, home court and a fan base with low expectations

I mean if Cuse or Notre Dame really wanted to splurge they could have pried Pike away
Im not so sure thatd be a bad thing then. Because we could land a VERY GOOD coach if we just gave him pikes identical contract.

April 1, 2023 through March 31, 2024: $3,250,000

April 1, 2024 through March 31, 2025: $3,500,000

April 1, 2025 through March 31, 2026: $3,750,000

April 1, 2026 through March 31, 2027: $3,850,000

April 1, 2027 through March 31, 2028: $3,950,000

April 1, 2028 through March 31, 2029: $4,050,000

April 1, 2029 through March 31, 2030: $4,150,000

April 1, 2030 through March 31, 2031: $4,250,000

Plus a $15,000,000 buy out. And pike has some $300K retention bonus’ built in there

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
Im not so sure thatd be a bad thing then. Because we could land a VERY GOOD coach if we just gave him pikes identical contract.

Plus a $15,000,000 buy out. And pike has some $300K retention bonus’ built in there

We already have a VERY GOOD coach.

These figures are, you know, good money. Our guys, you know, fought for it.

• Haha
Reactions: IL Lusciato
Here is why I’m not buying what Hobbs tried to sell on the knight report podcast that he extends guys preemptively when he thinks other schools will start calling.

1) There’s only about 10 schools that can pay the “make me move” price which I believe is roughly $1,000,000 more per year than his current salary. Those schools are Arizona, Oregon, Texas A&M, Arkansas, UCLA, WVU, Illinois, Virginia, Auburn, Tennessee, Michigan State, Kansas, Kentucky.

Those schools arent looking for coaches and if those jobs opened up pike wouldnt be on shortlists

2) AD’s are focusing on offense with their hires these days. The best hire over the past number of years was nate oates. Offense, offense, offense. AD’s recognize that offense is what gets fans most excited and sells tix + it ultimately is what raises your ceiling.

Imagine being an AD for a school with a top 10 salary pool and hiring pike and saying, “guys we got this great coach, past 7 years in the b1g and won 1 total tourney game”. Theyd bring out the pitchforks. Can he take a shit program to average by virtue of simply out toughing teams? Hell yeah. Thing is those top 10 salary schools arent looking to go from historically bad to average, theyre looking to go from good to great.

3) Pike is a northeast guy. Where the hell is he going

Ultimately, Hobbs needs to chill out with these annual extensions any time he has a couple good weeks. He already is signed super long term, with a ton of guaranteed money and a huge buyout. You don't need to extend him every year. You don’t extend guys and pay them more money when they do not have a single alternative that can offer them more than we can.
Idiot Facepalm GIF

Can they offer more than we can? Pikes contract has annual salary bumps of $250K/yr. Hes making $3.25mm starting 4/1 with top tier facilities, home court and a fan base with low expectations
For some reason I found this post very funny. Laugh out loud funny.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I don’t think the extension should have been during the season, I thought at the time it would be a distraction and add extra pressure onto the end of this year. It’s just an opinion though. I am very against in-season extensions in general and think all that should be handled in off seasons.

i must say I never got the feeling any program was hot in pursuit of Pike or could be soon. It does seem a bit strange to continue the extensions considering the buyout in the contract is already doing what Hobbs wants it to.

Miss me with the “1 tourney win 7 years” deal. Sorry he didn’t take Eddie Jordan’s clown show and immediately recruit players good enough to go to the NCAAs by their senior year. Oh wait that’s exactly what he did. He’s a miracle worker after what went on here the last 30 years

i must say I never got the feeling any program was hot in pursuit of Pike or could be soon. It does seem a bit strange to continue the extensions considering the buyout in the contract is already doing what Hobbs wants it to.
Well I’m sure you and Kyk would make great ads or not. Im
Leaning towards or not. Lol

Reactions: TRU2RU
Well I’m sure you and Kyk would make great ads or not. Im
Leaning towards or not. Lol
Not saying I would. It does feel like a little off though at times. Recruiting picking up has probably calmed all our nerves for the time being.

Also, was the extension before or after the Mag ACL news? Because up until then it looked like despite losing Geo and Ron, Rutgers was about to win the Big Ten. While also signing the #1 recruiting class in America next year. Anyone who thinks at that point Pike wouldn’t have gotten big $$ offers is an idiot

Miss me with the “1 tourney win 7 years” deal. Sorry he didn’t take Eddie Jordan’s clown show and immediately recruit players good enough to go to the NCAAs by their senior year. Oh wait that’s exactly what he did. He’s a miracle worker after what went on here the last 30 years
For the schools that can pay more than us, they dont give a shit about that.

Yes it is impressive that he took us from historically bad to average. I question if he’ll take us further than where weve been

• Angry
Reactions: FastMJ
Juan Howard (Michigan) 6 million

Hubert Davis (UNC) 3.5 million

Dana Altman (Oregon) 4 million

Fred Hoiberg (Nebraska) 3.25 million

Mike White (Georgia) 3.5 million

Chris Holtmann (Ohio St) 3.5 million

Mike Hopkins (Washington) 3 million

Wayne Tinkle (Oregon St) 2.7 million

Mark Adams (Texas Tech) 3.1 million

Mike Boynton (Oklahoma State) 3 million

Porter Moser (Oklahoma) 2.8 million

I can keep finding more..

Point is, what we’re paying Pike is fine. Look at some of these salaries. You think any of these programs are in that much better shape than Rutgers right now?

He’s finally starting to get the top tier recruits as well. What we’re paying him is spot on IMO.

3) $15,000,000 buy out. A school isnt paying that unless its a sure fire slam dunk proven coach. Pike is not that.

Agreed that’s Hobbs just trying to save face to the board after the season melted down and blew up in his face. Should not extended him until after the season.

Juan Howard (Michigan) 6 million

Hubert Davis (UNC) 3.5 million

Dana Altman (Oregon) 4 million

Fred Hoiberg (Nebraska) 3.25 million

Mike White (Georgia) 3.5 million

Chris Holtmann (Ohio St) 3.5 million

Mike Hopkins (Washington) 3 million

Wayne Tinkle (Oregon St) 2.7 million

Mark Adams (Texas Tech) 3.1 million

Mike Boynton (Oklahoma State) 3 million

Porter Moser (Oklahoma) 2.8 million

I can keep finding more..

Point is, what we’re paying Pike is fine. Look at some of these salaries. You think any of these programs are in that much better shape than Rutgers right now?

He’s finally starting to get the top tier recruits as well. What we’re paying him is spot on IMO.

So you’re saying there’s way more than 10 schools that would be able to pay Pikiell well more than what he makes here after the extension?

Got it.

Let’s keep in mind the cost of living less in a lot of these areas as well.

I think OP needs to chill out and let Pikiell bring in better talent, which is on its way :)
Amen! But he won't......I actually said after the game, 2 silver linings...One CM broke the steals record and two, I won't have to listen to him say Pike doesn't run an offense for once ...LOL...But knew he would figure something to go against Pike!!! Maybe all the nitwits should replay the presser and listen to CM...

We beat the number 1 team in the country back to back years..
We’ve also had disappointing endings to our season back to back years. With an improved roster, we’ll be somewhere in between
OP is probably still mad we didn’t bring in Luther Muhammad

Are we really back to complaining about our coach’s contract, when he makes around the average for a Big Ten coach and got a one (1) year extension? You’re acting like you donated seven figures for a $10 million coach who just got a lifetime contract.

They could also land the next FHJ, MRJ, or EJ. How did the program do with each of those coaches?

It makes much more sense to make a long-term commitment to the only coach who has brought the program to the NCAAs over the past 25+ years.

Programs bring in successful coaches from mid and small majors alllll the time. They would take a successful coach from the B1G easily... especially one that turned around the biggest dumpsterfire in all of P6 in near record time

KYK. i have watched RU for 45 years and started when we had Jordan and Bailey. Seen bad coaches. You I am sorry have seen very little about RU. From Young to Pikes. What he has done has been amazing.
From a Rutgers fan perspective? Sure. Because the bar was buried here due to decades of horrific hires and a cheap administration.

Again, I think hes your average “good” coach. Hes no where close to great though. And frankly, for a fan base with incredibly low expectations, “good” is just fine. Theres very few fans here that want more than simply an ncaa tourney bid.

KYK. i have watched RU for 45 years and started when we had Jordan and Bailey. Seen bad coaches. You I am sorry have seen very little about RU. From Young to Pikes. What he has done has been amazing.
Well, we have certainly seen some bad coaches . Epically bad on and off the court. Especially on the court.

Pike is not one

You just can't control yourself, can you? There's a time and a place. Last night was not the time or the place. It's a life skill that you may require. Work on it.

Was not picking on you. But saw us when Cuse and RU were the best.

From a Rutgers fan perspective? Sure. Because the bar was buried here due to decades of horrific hires and a cheap administration.

Again, I think hes your average “good” coach. Hes no where close to great though. And frankly, for a fan base with incredibly low expectations, “good” is just fine. Theres very few fans here that want more than simply an ncaa tourney bid.
An average good coach can’t just bring a program up from where we were. And that is what pike has done. You can have a better x/o guy and a better recruiter but unless you have someone like him that cares about the school/kids/program you can’t build from underground with a solid foundation.

You you could have had a flashier type come in here and win with hired gun mentality, but no one would have left us on surer ground that pike

Georgetown might hire Mike Brey. I think they'd very much have been in the Pikiell market.

If all goes well, we might have three 5 star players on the court in 2 years
Assuming that we can make some serious progress at that point, Pike might be attractive enough then to get a big time offer
Better to have a good contract in place

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT