ADVERTISEMENT

If you're not going to donate, you'll just have to be patient

Dylan Braithwaite is not a project, and is an instant impact slot receiver, who will be enrolling early and going through spring practice, so that he can play early.

Taulia will be drafted and get an NFL opportunity, but not sure how far he’ll go.

The defense was fatigued for the Penn State and Maryland Games, which is why it was ineffective, after being pounded for three months. To be successful, the offense needs to be able to run the ball, effectively. With this incoming class, we now have the linemen to be able to do that effectively.

Players play games not rankings, and when Dylan takes the field he is going to show he is closer to #1, than #167.

Schiano will get an extension because people understand this is a difficult job and the program is headed in the right track, despite adverse circumstances. The offense will be better this year, due to the improved talent, though the wins may not be materially different.
He has Northwestern, 1-11, Temple 3-9, and VT, 3-8, all at home right out of the gate in 2023. Lose to VT and the fans will be very upset, but his supporters will still defend him, lose to either NW or Temple and you have to believe he will lose a lot of credibility even with many of his supporters. An extension is not guaranteed, these "people" you speak of will not be understanding if attendance continues to drop, and it will unless he starts winning B1G games.

Dylan Braithwaite is not a project, and is an instant impact slot receiver, who will be enrolling early and going through spring practice, so that he can play early.

Taulia will be drafted and get an NFL opportunity, but not sure how far he’ll go.

The defense was fatigued for the Penn State and Maryland Games, which is why it was ineffective, after being pounded for three months. To be successful, the offense needs to be able to run the ball, effectively. With this incoming class, we now have the linemen to be able to do that effectively.

Players play games not rankings, and when Dylan takes the field he is going to show he is closer to #1, than #167.

Schiano will get an extension because people understand this is a difficult job and the program is headed in the right track, despite adverse circumstances. The offense will be better this year, due to the improved talent, though the wins may not be materially different.
Jesus Christ Al, the kid weighs 170 lbs soaking wet, and had a grand total of 9 (yup count it right) 9 TOTAL RECEPTIONS his senior year, he had less than 250 total receiving yards for the season his senior year playing in New York which isn’t exactly a hotbed of football talent. The kid has speed, that’s it! Every other element of his game needs to be coached up. You cannot possibly be THAT delusional to consider a kid who had 9 catches as a senior in HS an ‘instant impact’ starter. This is the type of kid that we’re lucky to see contribute his redshirt sophomore year, certainly his RS junior year.

But again, you overlooked and didn’t answer my first question so I’ll ask it again, how did Maryland’s half decent QB prevent us from scoring in our game? When was Tulia on the field playing defense vs our offense? You claim our D was beaten down by the time we got to Maryland, coming into that game Maryland was 0-3 in their previous 3 weeks after playing the gautlet of Wisconson, Penn State and Ohio State in consecutive weeks leading up to our game. You cannot call our defense tired compared to theirs when they literally played Ohio state and Penn state the 2 previous weeks…

Al, you keep moving the goalpost in order to justify and make sense of this mess due to your undying loyalty to schiano, can you really say you aren’t concerned we don’t have an OC yet?

Last edited:
[snii[

[snip]
I looked up the time of possession for the Maryland and Penn State games. In the Maryland game, they had the ball forty minutes to our twenty. But in the Penn State game, the time of possession was almost even. So the problem is more than our offense being unable to move the ball.

Someone would have to teach him to read defenses first.
1645822238_1645822190_1645822181_1645810214_1639693050_1639692922_1639692909_1626813928_1612293979_1612293034_1608166994_1608166932_blog-post-header-remove-graffiti-from-wood_8b02f0cb_1024x1024.jpg

dlrrah7bg1pz.jpg

Reactions: LotusAggressor
Jesus Christ Al, the kid weighs 170 lbs soaking wet, and had a grand total of 9 (yup count it right) 9 TOTAL RECEPTIONS his senior year, he had less than 250 total receiving yards for the season his senior year playing in New York which isn’t exactly a hotbed of football talent. The kid has speed, that’s it! Every other element of his game needs to be coached up. You cannot possibly be THAT delusional to consider a kid who had 9 catches as a senior in HS an ‘instant impact’ starter. This is the type of kid that we’re lucky to see contribute his redshirt sophomore year, certainly his RS junior year.

But again, you overlooked and didn’t answer my first question so I’ll ask it again, how did Maryland’s half decent QB prevent us from scoring in our game? When was Tulia on the field playing defense vs our offense? You claim our D was beaten down by the time we got to Maryland, coming into that game Maryland was 0-3 in their previous 3 weeks after playing the gautlet of Wisconson, Penn State and Ohio State in consecutive weeks leading up to our game. You cannot call our defense tired compared to theirs when they literally played Ohio state and Penn state the 2 previous weeks…

Al, you keep moving the goalpost in order to justify and make sense of this mess due to your undying loyalty to schiano, can you really say you aren’t concerned we don’t have an OC yet?
His predictions about game results are always laughably wrong. Did you expect his acumen about recruiting to be any different?

Hey Al, if I'm reading the title right, am I to take it that those who donate HAVE a right to be impatient? Asking for a friend.....who donates.

Reactions: Knight Shift
If it that easy what was he doing last off season?

He’s got a ton more film to work off of this year vs last year because he played a lot more. Last year, he saw mostly spot duty. This year, he had to deal with a lot more adversity, which he will work to grow from.

He’s got a ton more film to work off of this year vs last year because he played a lot more. Last year, he saw mostly spot duty. This year, he had to deal with a lot more adversity, which he will work to grow from.
A lot more film to work off of? Al did you play a sport? You watch fill of your position group and opposing defenses/offensives etc. not just your highlight reel. I like the kid but the issues weren’t based on lack of film. It’s more important to have someone show you how to watch film properly. Otherwise your just watching tv.

A lot more film to work off of? Al did you play a sport? You watch fill of your position group and opposing defenses/offensives etc. not just your highlight reel. I like the kid but the issues weren’t based on lack of film. It’s more important to have someone show you how to watch film properly. Otherwise your just watching tv.
Watching tv- bloopers and world's funniest home videos.

Does Al remember what Nova said Friedgen did for him in his finals year and things Friedgen corrected that nobody told him about.

Come on, man! Do you really think Gleeson didn’t teach him to watch film? You have zero evidence that he doesn’t know how to watch film properly.

There are a number of opportunities where he can improve, and decision making and accuracy are probably the top two. The kid missed a number of opportunities last year and didn’t always make the right read when deciding where to go with the ball. This is where film work will help him.

We develop quarterbacks not recruit them, so this is part of his growth/ maturation process, not unlike what Gary Nova and Mike Teel went through as well.

Come on, man! Do you really think Gleeson didn’t teach him to watch film? You have zero evidence that he doesn’t know how to watch film properly.

There are a number of opportunities where he can improve, and decision making and accuracy are probably the top two. The kid missed a number of opportunities last year and didn’t always make the right read when deciding where to go with the ball. This is where film work will help him.

We develop quarterbacks not recruit them, so this is part of his growth/ maturation process, not unlike what Gary Nova and Mike Teel went through as well.
We don't develop QBs. We develop game managers. Pathetic our last 3,000 yard passer was Teel 2008.

We don't develop QBs. We develop game managers. Pathetic our last 3,000 yard passer was Teel 2008.

Teel started out a game manager but ended up a QB, that could carry the team on his back, that was drafted by the Seahawks in the 5th Round. During his last year, he had big games against Pitt and NC State, games which made Kenny Britt a first rounder.

Teel started out a game manager but ended up a QB, that could carry the team on his back, that was drafted by the Seahawks in the 5th Round. During his last year, he had big games against Pitt and NC State, games which made Kenny Britt a first rounder.
That was more than 10 years ago Al. Greg has been coaching Rutgers for close to 15 years, and that is all he has to show for it on the QB side?

Reactions: kupuna133

Come on man! Did I say that Gleeson didn’t teach him how to watch film? But to your point. Show me evidence where Gavin knows how to watch film properly? If you continuously make the wrong reads and are not in position to make the play what does that tell you. It’s either he is not a legit qb(not saying that) he wasn’t coached properly on field (possibility) he didn’t learn from film work (better possibility).

You keep bringing up Nova. But he is the poster child of not being taught how to watch film properly. He has stated it over and over. He did not learn how to watch and break down film until his senior year.

• Love
Come on man! Did I say that Gleeson didn’t teach him how to watch film? But to your point. Show me evidence where Gavin knows how to watch film properly? If you continuously make the wrong reads and are not in position to make the play what does that tell you. It’s either he is not a legit qb(not saying that) he wasn’t coached properly on field (possibility) he didn’t learn from film work (better possibility).

You keep bringing up Nova. But he is the poster child of not being taught how to watch film properly. He has stated it over and over. He did not learn how to watch and break down film until his senior year.

You implied it when you said, “it’s more important to have someone watch film properly”. I’ve previously spoken to the kid myself, after the ‘21 season, and he is very intelligent, motivated, and knows what needs to be done. We don’t know how well he watches film but I will assume that he is an average film watcher, and is good enough to spot areas where he can improve.
It’s not rocket science.

You are also not considering that the receivers weren’t that great (drops), the line was not that great, and the tight ends were not that great. Everyone involved has room to grow. Thankfully, we’re bringing in better talent, which should help bolster the offense.

Novas point was that watching film with Friedgen took his film watching to a whole new level. How many coach’s out there have Ralph Friedgen’s skills, and can watch film as well as he does? Mike Teel didn’t have Ralph to guide him, yet by the end of his college career, he was a good college QB, and part of that was due to watching film.

You implied it when you said, “it’s more important to have someone watch film properly”. I’ve previously spoken to the kid myself, after the ‘21 season, and he is very intelligent, motivated, and knows what needs to be done. We don’t know how well he watches film but I will assume that he is an average film watcher, and is good enough to spot areas where he can improve.
It’s not rocket science.

You are also not considering that the receivers weren’t that great (drops), the line was not that great, and the tight ends were not that great. Everyone involved has room to grow. Thankfully, we’re bringing in better talent, which should help bolster the offense.

Novas point was that watching film with Friedgen took his film watching to a whole new level. How many coach’s out there have Ralph Friedgen’s skills, and can watch film as well as he does? Mike Teel didn’t have Ralph to guide him, yet by the end of his college career, he was a good college QB, and part of that was due to watching film.
Did not imply anything. I am not sure if you played an organized sport? Because you have enthusiasm but your ideas about what it takes to be successful at any level of athletics is crazy. Watching film is a tool to speed up the development process. But if you are not watching film correctly you are just watching tv. Gleeson, Fridgen whatever coach you want to mention are not holding players hands 24 hours a day. They can teach them what to look for but they can’t force that player to see. If that player wants to take it to the next level they have to do the heavy lift on their own. That is what is meant by watching film correctly.

You shift the narrative when it doesn’t work for you. We were not talking about wr’s te’s. We were talking about one position group specifically one player. This has to do with film review and breaking down film in the off season. You started this narrative regarding Gavin’s off season development. Him missing reads pre/post snap is about the qb. WR TE OL have their own issues but we were talking about qb’s.

Last edited:
  • Love
Did not imply anything. I will ask again. Did you ever play an organized sport? Because you have enthusiasm but your ideas about what it takes to be successful at any level of athletics is crazy. Watching film is a tool to speed up the development process. But if you are not watching film correctly you are just watching tv. Gleeson, Fridgen whatever coach you want to mention are not holding players hands 24 hours a day. They can teach them what to look for but they can’t force that player to see. If that player wants to take it to the next level they have to do the heavy lift on their own. That is what is meant by watching film correctly.

You shift the narrative when it doesn’t work for you. We were not talking about wr’s te’s. We were talking about one position group specifically one player. This has to do with film review and breaking down film in the off season. You started this narrative regarding Gavin’s off season development. Him missing reads pre/post snap is about the qb. WR TE OL have their own issues but we were talking about qb’s.

Yes, I played competitive, organized, athletics but not sure what that has to do with the issue at hand. I’ve already acknowledged that Wimsatt has lots of room to grow, and I understand the purpose of film. So you don’t need to talk down to me especially when you’ve brought very little to the table, and I’m not impressed.

Not sure what else you want me to say. I think he will get better with more work, development, and experience. But My point is also that it’s on everyone to get better, not just the quarterback. You can’t just look at the quarterback in a vacuum because it fits your narrative. The quarterbacks success or lack there of is dependent on other players.

You don’t know how well Wimsatt watches film, yet you’re here BSing anyway. Ralph Friedgen isn’t the only person in the world who knows how to teach kids how to watch film. Mike Teel did the heavy lifting on his own. From what I know, I believe Wimsatt is putting in the work. How well he watches or doesn’t watch film, I have no idea. But I’m not going to sit here and pretend that I do.

Yes, I played competitive, organized, athletics but not sure what that has to do with the issue at hand. I’ve already acknowledged that Wimsatt has lots of room to grow, and I understand the purpose of film. So you don’t need to talk down to me especially when you’ve brought very little to the table, and I’m not impressed.

Not sure what else you want me to say. I think he will get better with more work, development, and experience. But My point is also that it’s on everyone to get better, not just the quarterback. You can’t just look at the quarterback in a vacuum because it fits your narrative. The quarterbacks success or lack there of is dependent on other players.

You don’t know how well Wimsatt watches film, yet you’re here BSing anyway. Ralph Friedgen isn’t the only person in the world who knows how to teach kids how to watch film. Mike Teel did the heavy lifting on his own. From what I know, I believe Wimsatt is putting in the work. How well he watches or doesn’t watch film, I have no idea. But I’m not going to sit here and pretend that I do.
BS’ing. Ok Al. That is rich coming from you. My Narrative? You started the narrativethen shifted it when it didn’t work any longer. Pointed out by numerous people on this thread.

Have fun.

Last edited:
This new system is the worst thing that ever happened to college sports! How does this help balance competition? What a $hitshow this has turned the college sporting world into. HS students using not what's best for their education or best fit to advance to the next level, but who will pony up the most money, truly sickening to me.

Friedgen isn't the only person in the world that knows how to teach kids to watch film, but he's the only RU OC in the last 2 decades that did. Nova himself said that no one taught him to read defenses until Friedgen. There is a difference between teaching a QB plays and teaching them how to play the position. That has been the problem with RU QBs throughout both of Schiano's tenures. As good as Teel was between 2006 and 2008, those teams should have been better offensively. They might have been better if Teel didn't have to do all the heavy lifting on his own.

Friedgen isn't the only person in the world that knows how to teach kids to watch film, but he's the only RU OC in the last 2 decades that did. Nova himself said that no one taught him to read defenses until Friedgen. There is a difference between teaching a QB plays and teaching them how to play the position. That has been the problem with RU QBs throughout both of Schiano's tenures. As good as Teel was between 2006 and 2008, those teams should have been better offensively. They might have been better if Teel didn't have to do all the heavy lifting on his own.
And this is why we struggle with Schiano as a coach. QB-as-game-manager is outdated by decades. He's terrible at developing QBs because he seems to think it's still possible to put together winning teams without fast-thinking, scrambling, dynamic QBs. Even Alabama, who could get away with that not so long ago because they could stock their teams with talent at all positions, especially the lines, doesn't and can't do that anymore.

You know that how? Did you have film sessions with all of the OC’s in the last two decades? McNulty never taught anyone to watch film? Jerry Kill? Ver Steeg? Teel was a game manager up until the last half of his senior year.

Now granted, Fridge was probably the best teacher, but other coaches did the best they could.

You know that how? Did you have film sessions with all of the OC’s in the last two decades? McNulty never taught anyone to watch film? Jerry Kill? Ver Steeg? Teel was a game manager up until the last half of his senior year.

Now granted, Fridge was probably the best teacher, but other coaches did the best they could.
I think you and the other posters in this discussion are missing the most important point: that we need a good OC to make sure that Gavin is getting the right things out of his film study (and other efforts to improve) and that he is effectively curing the issues. Realizing that you're doing something wrong does not automatically mean you know how to solve it. In addition, what one particular OC might want a player to do to improve may not be the same as what another OC would want because OCs may have different ways of teaching and different objectives for what a player should be able to do. (An OC who wants a spread offense may want different things out of a QB than an OC running a pro-style offset. ) But for whatever reason, we don't have an OC, and that makes it harder to develop players.

You are getting a little defensive here, al. I think @kupuna133 has been measured and helpful in his approach.

You have said that better talent is coming in at WR/TE. We lost Cruickshank, Ryan, Shameen Jones and Johnny Langan. Where exactly is the "better" talent coming in from? You can speculate and glad hand some recruits, but we will not know if any of these unproven players will be an improvement.

Several posters have said the same thing- Greg's history with QB development has not been particularly good. That's why an OC needs to be hired and allowed to run the offense without any restraints. Let it fly.

Lack of film? You have no clue what you are talking about. You don’t just watch your own film you watch all film. Breaking down film and learning from it has nothing to do with who playing the position. It clear that you never sat in a film session.

Instant impact? You just contradicted yourself saying young wr need time to learn the position and time in the weight room. Yet you think a kid who had a total of 9 catches his senior and not a single other FBS offer is an instant impact kind of player. He is a project and a reach. He may turn out to be a diamond in the rough but more likely he will never play.

You are getting a little defensive here, al. I think @kupuna133 has been measured and helpful in his approach.

You have said that better talent is coming in at WR/TE. We lost Cruickshank, Ryan, Shameen Jones and Johnny Langan. Where exactly is the "better" talent coming in from? You can speculate and glad hand some recruits, but we will not know if any of these unproven players will be an improvement.

Several posters have said the same thing- Greg's history with QB development has not been particularly good. That's why an OC needs to be hired and allowed to run the offense without any restraints. Let it fly.
Actually, it was @kapuna133 who played the "you haven't played organized sports" card, so I can't blame @rutgersal for being defensive.

Actually, it was @kapuna133 who played the "you haven't played organized sports" card, so I can't blame @rutgersal for being defensive.
I have gotten that thrown at me on the boards, and it is nothing personal, just business. IMO, al invited the criticism a bit. I admire al's unbridled optimism, and most of the time, I'm am not far behind him as a generally optimistic person.

However, as discussed, the failure to have an OC in place in time for offensive portal talent, namely QB, OL, TE and WR, positions where RU is sorely lacking is very concerning. We don't know the real reasons, but under the extreme ownership theory of management (see Navy Seal Jocko Willink), Greg owns this failure. This means that Greg has been turned down and has not been able to find a candidate to accept, or he is deliberately moving slowly. This is not a great way to proceed considering the need for offensive talent and portal time.

This may also indicate that Greg has signaled to candidates that the OC will not have unbridled control over the offense. I have been re-reading Mike Leach's book, and when he was hired by Bob Stoops as OC at Oklahoma, Stoops gave Leach total control. Having watched the last 3 years, IMO, Greg should take a step back from the offense and let someone run it. I would love to be wrong on all of the and to be pleasantly surprised at the OC hire and to see a functional offense next season.

Didn’t say he didn’t play. I asked if he did play. Because if you haven’t sat in a film session you have no idea what it entails. I thought I “watched” film up until my senior year when we brought in a new coaching staff and then we really”watched” film. College we broke down film and took film to another level.
Some coaches excel in scouting, teaching technique, film break down and others on field coaching. It takes a special person to enjoy breaking down film and teaching others how to properly watch film to get a true benefit out of the time invested. That’s why I said if you are not taught properly you are just watching tv.
It was Al that started this whole conversation regarding film. Wimsatt having more film to watch. That’s not how you watch film.That is why I ASKED if he played.

Instant impact? You just contradicted yourself saying young wr need time to learn the position and time in the weight room. Yet you think a kid who had a total of 9 catches his senior and not a single other FBS offer is an instant impact kind of player. He is a project and a reach. He may turn out to be a diamond in the rough but more likely he will never play.

The kid committed in June and got injured in the beginning of the season. Injuries happen, but as long as he stays healthy, he will see the field because speed kills.

Lack of film? You have no clue what you are talking about. You don’t just watch your own film you watch all film. Breaking down film and learning from it has nothing to do with who playing the position. It clear that you never sat in a film session.

I don’t know how he would watch all film to understand where he demonstrated proper mechanics and instances where he threw inaccurately, and what he has to do to improve. You must be some kind of genius.

In any case, In the offseason, he will have more time, to work to Understand what he did well, and where he can improve. Hope this makes sense Mr. Film Expert.

How does this delayed success coincide with HC Schiano's contract.
You say not to expect results until 2025.

Let's say that's true.
He would only have 2 years left at that point.
Are we offering a contract extension (and raise?) after 1 year of success?

Do we extend him earlier even though we are still "probably perform in a 3-9 to 6-6 range"?
At what point does he need to be extended?
For recruiting purposes. Can any coach effectively recruit on a 2-3 year contract?
Greg wins 4 games or less next season he is a lame duck Coach. If you think recruiting is bad this year next year might even be worse. Improved results are a must next season.

Didn’t say he didn’t play. I asked if he did play. Because if you haven’t sat in a film session you have no idea what it entails. I thought I “watched” film up until my senior year when we brought in a new coaching staff and then we really”watched” film. College we broke down film and took film to another level.
Some coaches excel in scouting, teaching technique, film break down and others on field coaching. It takes a special person to enjoy breaking down film and teaching others how to properly watch film to get a true benefit out of the time invested. That’s why I said if you are not taught properly you are just watching tv.
It was Al that started this whole conversation regarding film. Wimsatt having more film to watch. That’s not how you watch film.That is why I ASKED if he played.

You made the unsupported assertion that Wimsatt didn’t know how to watch film properly.

Greg wins 4 games or less next season he is a lame duck Coach. If you think recruiting is bad this year next year might even be worse. Improved results are a must next season.

Not true. Greg won 4 games in 2004 and rebounded to win 7 in 2005, and the rest is history.

You made the unsupported assertion that Wimsatt didn’t know how to watch film properly.
Al sit this one out after your last post you confirmed you do not know what entails “watching” film. Off season film work has very little to do with mechanics and arm angle. That’s surface stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT