ADVERTISEMENT

Insiders what's up with Nick

Acknowledging my responses are not real-time to the posts, but again...

There can not be an application for waiver until there is a transfer. So no. Nobody is waiting on a waiver ruling.

Source for that? As far as I know, the Big Ten rules do not even put in place a procedure or guideline for seeking an exception to the rule.

Reactions: Leonard23
I know Nick won four times in AC, but I don't know if he'd want to roll the dice on a year's eligibility.
I also doubt very much that a kid with multiple title goals as well as Olympic goals views a lost year as a minor obstacle.

Sometimes kids simply want to spend a summer at home.

Source for that? As far as I know, the Big Ten rules do not even put in place a procedure or guideline for seeking an exception to the rule.
You go find the source. The Big10 transfer rule is straight forward. Not a single mention of how to appeal prior to need to appeal.

Using Micic as an example. Micic announced his transfer. Sometime later the Big10 announced the wavier.

Sometimes common sense and reading the rule you are wondering about is resource enough.

Yeah, I never came across anything similar either when I was researching this topic. Whether or not that's the case it couldn't hurt to petition anyway, and I imagine that's probably what's happening right now. I'm not ready to presume that the B1G requires you to roll the dice on a transfer before they'll consider an exception to the 1-year loss of competition rule simply because that's what likely happened in Micic's case.

Without knowing any facts relating to the underlying rumored discontent, and without knowing what written substantive criteria was used in granting Micic his exception, none of the reasons I've heard rumored would appear to rise to Micic's situation, or any exception standard that makes any sense. I would think that if you're going to get an exception, the B1G would want to see that the student-athlete would be somehow prejudiced by making him stay at the school he's attempting to transfer away from. Not sure that's the case here but we're all just going on rumors.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I for one think the loss of year would not bother him as much if he is just going into MMa anyway. IMO maybe sitting out a year and working with Edgar is all he really wants. Who knows.

Never more disappointed by a MMA fight in my life (I know different thread). I was at MSG and talking PiCO up and boom.

I don't have any sources, but in checking both PSU and RU directories, Nick is listed in the PSU one and not in the RU one. Students (at least at PSU) will already have registered for classes and thus be listed. I would imagine students are already registering/registered for Rutgers as well...

You go find the source. The Big10 transfer rule is straight forward. Not a single mention of how to appeal prior to need to appeal.

Using Micic as an example. Micic announced his transfer. Sometime later the Big10 announced the wavier.

Sometimes common sense and reading the rule you are wondering about is resource enough.

Congrats on the idiotic post. Rule that doesn't provide for an appeal process explains itself. Okay, if you say so.

You want to whitewash this as a "summer at home." That's fine. It quite obviously more than that. I don't know if Nick will wind up at RU, but given the way this has played out, I don't think the smart money is on him being back at PSU anymore.

Congrats on the idiotic post. Rule that doesn't provide for an appeal process explains itself. Okay, if you say so.

You want to whitewash this as a "summer at home." That's fine. It quite obviously more than that. I don't know if Nick will wind up at RU, but given the way this has played out, I don't think the smart money is on him being back at PSU anymore.

From a logical perspective, any transfer to a B1G school is very problematic since it would, more than likely, lead to a loss of a year of eligibility. So where do you see Nick going if not PSU? If proximity to home is a real concern, Lehigh would look like a possible landing spot. Have a transfer year this season and step into 125 when Cruz graduates would seem to make sense.

From a logical perspective, any transfer to a B1G school is very problematic since it would, more than likely, lead to a loss of a year of eligibility. So where do you see Nick going if not PSU? If proximity to home is a real concern, Lehigh would look like a possible landing spot. Have a transfer year this season and step into 125 when Cruz graduates would seem to make sense.

Who knows. We don't know if the home thing is real or not, and any team in the country would take him. It just seems like the public way in which this has played out would make it awkward as hell for him to return to PSU. I don't know if there is some personal/family case for a waiver that they are making, but based on the the information that is out there, it seems like either (a) he doesnt care about losing a year and goes to RU or (b) the transfer to RU isn't going to work for him and he will transfer somewhere else.

But what the hell do I know. This could all be fake like you guys are hoping.

Just more speculation, but I could see that having grown up near there, Rutgers may have always been his favorite school and he only went to PSU because of the wrestling opportunities. Therefore, if desiring to go closer to home, it could be that Rutgers is now by far the place he would want to be….if its possible. Again, just throwing out possibilities if this is a real issue.

I know for my son, once he decided he wasn’t going to play baseball in college (he had offers at smaller schools), PSU was the only place he wanted to be, but it was not a baseball option for him, so he considered other schools up till that decision. Maybe something similar for Nick. Hope it works out for him either way. You only get to do this once.

I would also say that I don't think it would be an issue going back after this. My son is a senior, and from observing, the kids all know how hard things are and seem to understand these types of struggles and quickly forget and put it in the past a lot better than adults seem to.

Who knows. We don't know if the home thing is real or not, and any team in the country would take him. It just seems like the public way in which this has played out would make it awkward as hell for him to return to PSU. I don't know if there is some personal/family case for a waiver that they are making, but based on the the information that is out there, it seems like either (a) he doesnt care about losing a year and goes to RU or (b) the transfer to RU isn't going to work for him and he will transfer somewhere else.

But what the hell do I know. This could all be fake like you guys are hoping.

I think the vast majority of fans don't read forums or listen to podcasts- they show up and cheer for their team. Also, I think if Nick should come back, both PSU fans and teammates would be glad to have him.

Reactions: JBott
Pretty sure Even IF Penn St grants his release, Big10 rule would prohibit NS from wrestling this year at any Big10 school.
Refer back to tikks post. If you are unfamiliar with the terminology, here you go:
main-qimg-76b09bd066e3d9767ada34747bfd8c65

350px-VennSymmetricDifference.jpg

I think it's time to let all this speculation about Nick Suriano go until there's some concrete news. At this point in time he is the 125lber for PSU, end of story.

I think it's time to let all this speculation about Nick Suriano go until there's some concrete news. At this point in time he is the 125lber for PSU, end of story.
But aren't a lot of things we discuss on here just speculation. Like where a recruit might end up, who's going to start at 149 this year, what chances do we have with a kid transferring in to sure up a weak spot. Be pretty nonactive board if we couldn't speculate on outcomes. Plus this discussion has been pretty civil except the one psu guy nitlion6's idiotic post.

Reactions: RUpop
Multiple people saying it's pretty much a guarantee now that he's going to be wrestling for us this year. Mind you, until it's on ScarletKnights.com, it's speculation. But we may finally have one of the sh&tliners.

I'll choose to be antsy and believing of anything right now.

But aren't a lot of things we discuss on here just speculation. Like where a recruit might end up, who's going to start at 149 this year, what chances do we have with a kid transferring in to sure up a weak spot. Be pretty nonactive board if we couldn't speculate on outcomes. Plus this discussion has been pretty civil except the one psu guy nitlion6's idiotic post.
Agreed we do that often, and its fun, but Im just thinking that we've beaten this one to death.
Maybe its me..
Maybe I'm just nervous about keeping high hopes on this one just to be let down.
Maybe I should just continue to speculate!! :D

Agreed we do that often, and its fun, but Im just thinking that we've beaten this one to death.
Maybe its me..
Maybe I'm just nervous about keeping high hopes on this one just to be let down.
Maybe I should just continue to speculate!! :D
O I hear ya on the high hopes part. Mine have been dashed by the Scarlet & White many times throughout the decades. But this Suriano thing, I've been all over the place, he's not coming, he's coming. Latest reports are he's our's, whole family is behind it. But who knows if that's not just more speculation.

Reactions: RUpop
Then we can start the discussion of the other kid transferring back in LOL. $$$$

I don't think he knows him at all. This guy also went on the psu board and said he knows the RU AD. This IroniaHorse guy is a fraud.

Koleszar, I am pretty sure a Penn State poster claimed that IroniaHorse posted on this site that he knew the AD. I think that poster was not correct. IroniaHorse is not a fraud. Most people close to NJ wrestling know who he is.

Just more speculation, but I could see that having grown up near there, Rutgers may have always been his favorite school and he only went to PSU because of the wrestling opportunities. Therefore, if desiring to go closer to home, it could be that Rutgers is now by far the place he would want to be…

According to google, time to each from Paramus:

Rutgers 1:22
Lehigh 1:47
Penn State 3:56
Cornell 3:41
Columbia 0:33
Hofstra 1:25
Princeton 1:43

I don't see Rutgers as holding any significant travel advantages.

Koleszar, I am pretty sure a Penn State poster claimed that IroniaHorse posted on this site that he knew the AD. I think that poster was not correct. IroniaHorse is not a fraud. Most people close to NJ wrestling know who he is.
I'm close & don't know. Who is he?

OK If you vouch for him, I'll deleted my post and apologize to IroniaHorse. But he say's he knows Suriano and it's all not true, that it's just a rumor. We'll see how well connected he is.

Reactions: rondi

People on this board love to speculate about a lot of different things... With that being said... This isn't a rumor.. This is a very real situation...A few weeks ago, Mr. Garbarini posted that he felt the odds of NS to RU were 80%... And most of us know where he gets his info from... Now we have our own Mod stating that he is pretty confident that NS ends up here..( and Bobby is very well connected also..) Unfortunately, this isn't an episode of Law& Order... Everyone is doing their due diligence, and that takes time... Until then, most of what we will have in the meantime is speculation

OK If you vouch for him, I'll deleted my post and apologize to IroniaHorse. But he say's he knows Suriano and it's all not true, that it's just a rumor. We'll see how well connected he is.
FWIW I will also vouch for Iron.

Did you google these times during rush hour or a traffic accident? Rutgers is 54 minutes away from Paramus.

What are you vouching for, that he's an insider or that he knows more than wng on this (& Bobby D)?

I dont want to speak for Obrats but I think he was vouching that Ironiahorse was not a fraud. And look at what he said on page one, he did not say the transfer was a rumor, he stated applying for a hardship etc might be a rumor.
And in this situation I would say yes he knows more than wng and Bobby D.

What are you vouching for, that he's an insider or that he knows more than wng on this (& Bobby D)?
He is not a fraud or a troll. Well known in the NJ wrestling community and someone close to the Bergen Catholic program.

I am hopeful Nick comes to RU but I don't think it is a done deal or just a matter of time. As stated by many others, I think Nick (or his father) wants to be at RU but are they willing to sit and/or loss a year of eligibility if it comes down to it is the question?

I am not sure how it would be possible for someone to know more than Bill. Maybe the same but it can't be more.

I think you missed my point. But regardless, to your point, an hour (roughly) versus 4 hrs is significant for a college student who wants to travel back and forth. My son has 3 and even that takes some work and means a long weekend. 6 or 8 hours on the road is not trivial to them. You don't come home for a couple of hours and then go right back when you have a 4 hour drive. An hour or so no problem.

Secondly, my point (speculation) was that if RUTGERS (not Lehigh, Rider, etc) was always his favorite school, like PSU with my son, all things being equal, it might be the only place he really wants to be now that he has had time to think about it. If it is just about wrestling, what place better than PSU? ;)

I agree with Old Cabbagehead that it would be a shame if he realized he made a mistake (for whatever reason it actually is, if it is) and then could not change it.

Not sure how much it means, but Suriano has BC teammates on the RU squad in Grello and Mulligan. Pagano too, although older. Now that I think of it, Pagano transfered from Penn St as well. Probably has other friends at RU as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT