ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Chat with PSU FB Player - Franklin

I interned at NBC and an environmental hedge fund while at Rutgers. Partied a bit there too. Plus, it's got amazing diversity.

That really doesn't apply to football players though. Their internship is on the field on Saturdays. Obviously, there are going to be kids that aren't going to the NFL who are still good college players, but even for them, football takes up way too much time to do any real interning (outside of a short session in the early summer).

But I will say, PSU does give their students fantastic interning opportunities in DC, Philly and NYC.

That's great but I know a kid who went to the #3 econ program in the world in rural OH and he interned twice on wall street. Again though, NYC isn't someplace I would ever want to live.

EDIT: Just like many on here would never want to spend time in the cow pasture that is Penn State. Great college town though IMO.
Seems insulated. I think that might actually be an advantage for football players. As an aside, I think nj players grew up with cities near them and might welcome that Insulation. I think Rutgers would be better off recruiting nationally to kids that want access to nyc and philly, jersey kids don't seem to care about it.

Unfortunately not. It seems like 95% of the traffic on the bwi free board is cult members trying to defend Joe Pa or about Sandusky scandel. It borderline unreadable. The pay board is much better.

@PSU_Nut I never go there. Just did and saw the Joe Out thread and remembered why I don't.

This. The mcAndrew board is terrible now. It used to be a very good free board.

Dumb question guys, In your opinion how much of your fan base is like this. From the outside it looks like it almost your whole fan base is "cult" like as quoted above but its actually a little refreshing to see multiple PSU fans pushing back from that ideal. Maybe my opinion is wrong and there is as many of fans like you its just that they are more vocal.

Dumb question guys, In your opinion how much of your fan base is like this. From the outside it looks like it almost your whole fan base is "cult" like as quoted above but its actually a little refreshing to see multiple PSU fans pushing back from that ideal. Maybe my opinion is wrong and there is as many of fans like you its just that they are more vocal.

Hard to say. I think I am probably one of the most outspoken on our home board and used to get hammered but I give the mods credit. They let me say what I wanted and take the heat rather than delete it.

I think there a lot of folks who hang their hat on moral obligation and then try to pull law into it. That can be discredited by the famous email but the will say it is inconclusive. I agree with that but am still on the other side.

The thing I don't like about most people who post on the subject is they don't know WTF they are talking about. They also don't realize the potential of how much further this whole thing could have reached.

Reactions: miketd1
Hard to say. I think I am probably one of the most outspoken on our home board and used to get hammered but I give the mods credit. They let me say what I wanted and take the heat rather than delete it.

I think there a lot of folks who hang their hat on moral obligation and then try to pull law into it. That can be discredited by the famous email but the will say it is inconclusive. I agree with that but am still on the other side.

The thing I don't like about most people who post on the subject is they don't know WTF they are talking about. They also don't realize the potential of how much further this whole thing could have reached.
Huh? Wasnt the point that it reached a few higher ups and they did nothing? If it reached a few more, it may have come to light.

There are nearly 700k almuni, 100k students, thousands of staff and faculty and then a number of PSU fans who never attended the school. Taking that into consideration, I would say that less than 5% are the hardline crazies. Most are reasonable and are willing to accept that the school failed in some fashion. Many of those alumni are not even football fans (so keep that in mind as well). How people feel about Paterno varies greatly, so I wouldn't even be able to give you a guess on that.

And yes, that 5% is definitely the most vocal.

Reactions: miketd1
Did Franklin set up a private meeting with his four headline recruits and their families and proclaim his loyalty to the program and assure them that he would be there throughout their careers? I hope so because that is exactly what Bill O'Brien did. I really couldn't care less about O'Brien leaving as both he and Franklin have their own sets of strengths and weaknesses.

kjb - you are right, Franklin didn't tell that exactly lie to the Vandy players, he told other lies, unique lies, lies different than the ones you State Penners claim BoB made. Under oath Franklin admitted that he lied to his Vandy players about seeing the "rape tape", and then tried to rationalize it. That's what liars do! That's one thing that BoB never did, he never testified under oath that he was a liar!

BTW, kjb, it is safe to assume that you like liars? You keep on showing a picture of Nittany Liar Gerald Hodges. He lied about being committed to Rutgers. Oh, I forgot, that's a good lie in your book.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

kjb - you are right, Franklin didn't tell that exactly lie to the Vandy players, he told other lies, unique lies, lies different than the ones you State Penners claim BoB made. Under oath Franklin admitted that he lied to his Vandy players about seeing the "rape tape", and then tried to rationalize it. That's what liars do! That's one thing that BoB never did, he never testified under oath that he was a liar!

BTW, kjb, it is safe to assume that you like liars? You keep on showing a picture of Nittany Liar Gerald Hodges. He lied about being committed to Rutgers. Oh, I forgot, that's a good lie in your book.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Man are you mad. Love Hodges BTW.

Huh? Wasnt the point that it reached a few higher ups and they did nothing? If it reached a few more, it may have come to light.

Perfect example of what I was talking about. So you believe that the buck stopped with Spanier despite Corbett, TSM, PSU and MBNA all being in bed together?

I've never said the extension of the net would mean Paterno wasn't culpable, I just find it hard to believe that Paterno and six other people...with the highest ranking being Spaniel (or you can say Paterno, doesn't matter) kept the whole thing under wraps. Amazing considering UVA and the fact that there were rumors on our own board way before the scandal broke.

The other option is to be OK. He was saying it will be feast or famine.

In the eyes of every traditional football power fan base.. you are either a NC or Conference contender.. or are lousy. No such thing as a good team that doesn't at least play in a championship game.

Perfect example of what I was talking about. So you believe that the buck stopped with Spanier despite Corbett, TSM, PSU and MBNA all being in bed together?

I've never said the extension of the net would mean Paterno wasn't culpable, I just find it hard to believe that Paterno and six other people...with the highest ranking being Spaniel (or you can say Paterno, doesn't matter) kept the whole thing under wraps. Amazing considering UVA and the fact that there were rumors on our own board way before the scandal broke.
What about UVa again? Too funny-you got laughed off the board for that parsed spin at least once already.

What about UVa again? Too funny-you got laughed off the board for that parsed spin at least once already.

Laughed off the board? The conversation was between you and me IIRC. You're giving yourself way too much credit.

Laughed off the board? The conversation was between you and me IIRC. You're giving yourself way too much credit.
How about revealing all those details you are so sure about re: JokePA's meeting at UVa?

There are nearly 700k almuni, 100k students, thousands of staff and faculty and then a number of PSU fans who never attended the school. Taking that into consideration, I would say that less than 5% are the hardline crazies.
And yes, that 5% is definitely the most vocal.

Doesn't that describe the fanbase of almost any P5 state university? Kind of like the hardcore fans here who think we should be wining 3-5 top ten NJ recruits per year. That's a huge issue that divides the RU fanbase. Those that are OK with the current recruiting are deemed Kool Aid drinkers.

Kind of curious what some of the PSU fan perspectives are on Rutgers' recruiting in Year 2 of the B1G. I'm sure you guys are delighted with the results Franklin is achieving in NJ. Should Rutgers be doing better? Besides winning on the field, anything else you think we can do (short of hiring a new head coach) we can do to improve our recruiting in state?

Doesn't that describe the fanbase of almost any P5 state university? Kind of like the hardcore fans here who think we should be wining 3-5 top ten NJ recruits per year. That's a huge issue that divides the RU fanbase. Those that are OK with the current recruiting are deemed Kool Aid drinkers.

Kind of curious what some of the PSU fan perspectives are on Rutgers' recruiting in Year 2 of the B1G. I'm sure you guys are delighted with the results Franklin is achieving in NJ. Should Rutgers be doing better? Besides winning on the field, anything else you think we can do (short of hiring a new head coach) we can do to improve our recruiting in state?

I think you actually had me until you brought up Franklin in NJ this year.

Love Hodges BTW.

I think he already has a girl friend.

I understand you now on BoB - he lied to Penn Staters, and that makes him evil, all other liars are cool in your book.

Had you? In your honest opinion, considering Rutgers' history, the last 10 years and that we are now in the B1G, should we be pulling in more top 10 and top 20 players?

In your own state? Flood arguably has one of the top two greatest Rutgers story to sell in our lifetimes. Despite that, he has failed miserably to do so. JMO and not flaming. I don't know enough about Rutgers financial situation to comment about what they can or can't do. Some lead with money and then get results to make it back. Others get results first and then go ask for the money. I've always been in the first camp so I'm probably not the right person to ask. Next go round I would go all in if I were running the show at Rutgers. If I make the wrong choice, they'll just fire me but it won't be because I didn't have the resources to compete effectively. Again, JMO.

In your own state? Flood arguably has one of the top two greatest Rutgers story to sell in our lifetimes. Despite that, he has failed miserably to do so. JMO and not flaming. I don't know enough about Rutgers financial situation to comment about what they can or can't do. Some lead with money and then get results to make it back. Others get results first and then go ask for the money. I've always been in the first camp so I'm probably not the right person to ask. Next go round I would go all in if I were running the show at Rutgers. If I make the wrong choice, they'll just fire me but it won't be because I didn't have the resources to compete effectively. Again, JMO.

Fair answer. Thanks. By one of the top two greatest Rutgers story to sell in our lifetimes, do you mean Rutgers' entry into the B1G?

Seems that when that happened, we now have the recruiting dynamos of Franklin, Meyer and Harbaugh to deal with. Tough group to win against. I could see us beating Franklin--but Rutgers has no winning tradition to tout, versus Penn State's. Yeah, excuses, excuses. . . . . Unfortunately, Rutgers will not lead with the money.

Fair answer. Thanks. By one of the top two greatest Rutgers story to sell in our lifetimes, do you mean Rutgers' entry into the B1G?

Seems that when that happened, we now have the recruiting dynamos of Franklin, Meyer and Harbaugh to deal with. Tough group to win against. I could see us beating Franklin--but Rutgers has no winning tradition to tout, versus Penn State's. Yeah, excuses, excuses. . . . . Unfortunately, Rutgers will not lead with the money.

Yes. That and the great story that many of us watched us unfold with Schiano.

No, that's a legit statement. You don't have that tradition. That's why I think the money is important. You need to hire someone who doesn't care about the past but wants to create the future and can convince others of the same. Any NJ natives with spunk who could get kids worked into a frenzy?

Or, you can go find the post and give it a bump.
Show me what to bump for you[roll][laughing][jumpingsmile]
139763052797775199Quack.svg.med.png

Yes. That and the great story that many of us watched us unfold with Schiano.

No, that's a legit statement. You don't have that tradition. That's why I think the money is important. You need to hire someone who doesn't care about the past but wants to create the future and can convince others of the same. Any NJ natives with spunk who could get kids worked into a frenzy?
images
?????

LOL. Nobody comes to mind.
Bob Diaco is from New Jersey, but he is not setting the world on fire at UConn.

How about revealing all those details you are so sure about re: JokePA's meeting at UVa?
Or, you can go find the post and give it a bump

Only a true pedder would keep trying to exonerate JerkPA with this vague UVa b.s. story. And of course kjb was mocked and discredited by multiple posters last time he tried to pull this half a$$ spin

Did Franklin set up a private meeting with his four headline recruits and their families and proclaim his loyalty to the program and assure them that he would be there throughout their careers? I hope so because that is exactly what Bill O'Brien did. I really couldn't care less about O'Brien leaving as both he and Franklin have their own sets of strengths and weaknesses.

You know what's funny about this is that when BOB was putting together that recruiting class many of us on this board all knew he'd be bolting for the NFL sooner rather than later and likely wouldn't be there to see Hackenburg's junior year but PSU fans kept blindly proclaiming BOB was such a stand up guy, he was the perfect guy to lead us out of the Sandusky scandal, blah blah blah. Nope. he was just another opportunist like 95%+ of all football coaches in America are.

Last edited:
You know what's funny about this is that when BOB was putting together that recruiting class many of us on this board all knew he'd be bolting for the NFL sooner rather than later and likely wouldn't be there to see Hackenburg's junior year but PSU fans kept blindly proclaiming BOB was such a stand up guy, he was the perfect guy to lead us out of the Sandusky scandal, blah blah blah. Nope. he was just another opportunist like 95%+ of all football coaches in America are.
I don't think any of us had any illusions that BOB wanted to be in the NFL. He stated such right away that being an NFL coach was his ultimate goal. We did not believe that he would leave as early as he did but I would argue that he did lead us out of the Sandusky scandal in spectacular fashion. I really cannot imagine a scenario where it would have worked out better for us in the long run. BOB kept the team mostly intact, won 15 games in 2 years (when people said we would be lucky to win 3 games per year), was able to salvage the 2013 class with some top-end players and then follow it up with a top 25 class despite severe sanctions and bowl bans. If I had to do it over again, there is no one else I would rather have leading out team in those two years. That does not mean that he was perfect, but he was the right guy at the time.

Only a true pedder would keep trying to exonerate JerkPA with this vague UVa b.s. story. And of course kjb was mocked and discredited by multiple posters last time he tried to pull this half a$$ spin

You guys can discredit the UVA story all you want. That being said, in no way was I trying to exonerate Joe Paterno. I'm not sure how anyone could come to that conclusion. How would preventing him from getting the UVA job exonerate him from not doing more in the McQueary incident?

You guys can discredit the UVA story all you want. That being said, in no way was I trying to exonerate Joe Paterno. I'm not sure how anyone could come to that conclusion. How would preventing him from getting the UVA job exonerate him from not doing more in the McQueary incident?
It doesn't make sense at all.

And for everyone else on the board, the UVA story has been out there for years. kjb isn't just pulling it out of his ass.

Last edited:
Reactions: kjb32812
It doesn't make sense at all.

Any for everyone else on the board, the UVA story has been out there for years. kjb isn't just pulling it out of his ass.

It has been out there for so long that I forgot (somewhat) who the source was. I think I remember and have asked for confirmation but have gotten nothing. If the source is who I think it is then there is no way the story is untrue.

It has been out there for so long that I forgot (somewhat) who the source was. I think I remember and have asked for confirmation but have gotten nothing. If the source is who I think it is then there is no way the story is untrue.
What source for what exactly? Stop talking in circles. Where are you getting some story about JerkPA preventing the perve Sandusky from being hired for UVa coaching job?

What source for what exactly? Stop talking in circles. Where are you getting some story about JerkPA preventing the perve Sandusky from being hired for UVa coaching job?

You will see that I was replying directly to @getmyjive11, not you. He knows who the source was.

You came into this thread as though you had read my prior post about the UVA job. Go find it if you like. Seems like a waste of your time though since you already said I was mocked and discredited the last time I posted it.

You will see that I was replying directly to @getmyjive11, not you. He knows who the source was.

You came into this thread as though you had read my prior post about the UVA job. Go find it if you like. Seems like a waste of your time though since you already said I was mocked and discredited the last time I posted it.
The secret source known only to Ped St, ok, makes sense :flush:. Your prior post had no details and nothing to confirm your vague reference to a meeting between JerkPA and UVa, so in fact it was and is a waste of everyone's time.

BOB was an absolute home run hire. I can't believe those football obsessed clowns made him run for the hills.

The secret source known only to Ped St, ok, makes sense. Your prior post had no details and nothing to confirm your vague reference to a meeting between JerkPA and UVa, so in fact it was and is a waste of everyone's time.

Well, considering I am a Penn State fan, it would be a logical assumption that I would hear/read more about Penn State information than someone who isn't a Penn State fan, wouldn't you think. If I needed to know how Rutgers felt about their chances with Fuller would that be better answered by your mods/posters or the ones on BWI?

Well, considering I am a Penn State fan, it would be a logical assumption that I would hear/read more about Penn State information than someone who isn't a Penn State fan, wouldn't you think. If I needed to know how Rutgers felt about their chances with Fuller would that be better answered by your mods/posters or the ones on BWI?
Wake me up when you can directly answer questions about your UVa myth :zzz: :zzz:

I heard it well before the scandal went down... perhaps even as long as a decade ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT