ADVERTISEMENT

It's going down

One of the oldest sports at the school with an active alum base. Less than zero chance.
Like men's rowing. Sorry everyone has their favorite. But for football, Schiano, and Mulcahy your lacrosse team and all other olympic sports would be be in the backwater of the American Conference with next to no money. I support the team I'm interested in . . . football. And in this day and age of "no subsidy," sports that are or have the potential to be self-supporting or god forbid make a profit, should get the lion's share of institutional support. When lacrosse can do this I'll change my mind. Until this money should go to football. When football makes a profit, then it can support olympic sports, not before. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Like men's rowing. Sorry everyone has their favorite. But for football, Schiano, and Mulcahy your lacrosse team and all other olympic sports would be be in the backwater of the American Conference with next to no money. I support the team I'm interested in . . . football. And in this day and age of "no subsidy," sports that are or have the potential to be self-supporting or god forbid make a profit, should get the lion's share of institutional support. When lacrosse can do this I'll change my mind. Until this money should go to football. When football makes a profit, then it can support olympic sports, not before. Just my humble opinion.
Great. A real AD would have accomplished both. It’s called fundraising. See UConn. See Hobbs.

Rowing doesn’t have nearly the base that lacrosse does. Go to the alumni event this spring for a first hand look.

Great. A real AD would have accomplished both. It’s called fundraising. See UConn. See Hobbs.
Well we have a great fundraiser now who's presiding over the destruction of the football program. I guess you can figure out what side I'll be on.

I’m confident he will get the next coach right. After all, mediocrity was BM’s Everest. We should be able to get there.

We'll have to disagree. I hope he does but I don't share your confidence, nor your opinion of Mulcahy. That's life.

The B1G has only been playing lacrosse for 4 years.
I was mainly referring to the performance of the football team over the past 4 years, e.g., since Ash arrived.

Lacrosse has had a lot of exciting games (including some against Hopkins that I wish were less exciting).

Nothing to disagree about. I’ve stated facts.

Here is another. Good AD’s don’t think myopically, like some people in this thread.

You can have a mediocre football program AND fund other sports appropriately. It’s called doing your job.

A monkey could have bled every other program dry to funnel funds to football. That took no skill or effort.

See how UConn did it.

Reactions: LC-88

Rowing doesn’t have nearly the base that lacrosse does. Go to the alumni event this spring for a first hand look.
Men's crew has a huge alumni base. Unfortunately it is not an NCAA sanctioned sport.

They might but it’s not as big as lax. Per Pat.
I don't know. But I'm not sure that Pat would know either, since men's crew is no longer part of the athletic department.

The men's crew alumni were pretty pissed off about the way they were cut by Bob, and how they were treated afterwards. I know Julie tried to mend fences, with little success. I don't know if Pat has reached out to men's crew alumni, successfully or unsuccessfully.

That’s what you are doing for football.

Last Rutgers sport to be ranked number 1 in the country? MLAX. 2016.

Bac you are highly emotional. Lax guys take your girl something? Very strange.

It’s ok footballers only. You can have a mediocre football team and other sports that are good. Really, you can. It’s possible. Happens all the time.

raise your expectations.

Yep. It’s called DMA. RU hit the geography lottery.

if it was based on on field achievement at that time, obviously UConn.

we never even won the BE.

Cali, I get the point that you are trying to make. But getting into the Big Ten required two prongs: market, and enough success to prove fan support.

Just being in the NY DMA wasn't enough to get into the Big Ten. Without the success to get to the Texas Bowl, and force the hands of the major cable companies in the market, there isn't enough proof that the Big Ten can monetize Rutgers. We needed to be successful, and Schiano brought the success needed to get us into the Big Ten.

However, success alone, without market, would not have got us into the Big Ten. No matter how successful UConn, Pitt, or WVU became, they didn't bring markets that the Big Ten could monetize.

So getting into the Big Ten required both, the level of success that Rutgers or Maryland showed, and the markets that Rutgers or Maryland brought.

That’s what you are doing for football.

Last Rutgers sport to be ranked number 1 in the country? MLAX. 2016.

Bac you are highly emotional. Lax guys take your girl something? Very strange.

It’s ok footballers only. You can have a mediocre football team and other sports that are good. Really, you can. It’s possible. Happens all the time.

raise your expectations.

Haha #1 and didnt make the ncaa tourney...now that team sounds like a fraud

raise your expectations.

I want better than mediocre football, better than mediocre basketball, and better than mediocre in other sports. I think it is possible at Rutgers. I don't buy the mentality that success in one sport is only possible with failure in others.

I want better than mediocre football, better than mediocre basketball, and better than mediocre in other sports. I think it is possible at Rutgers. I don't buy the mentality that success in one sport is only possible with failure in others.

That’s exactly right. Some of these football meatheads have such low expectations. BM didn’t fundraise. He has no understanding of how to do it. So he starved other programs to prop up his mediocre football program. Never won the weak BE. Sad.

Reactions: Rutgers56
Without the contemporaneous football success, we don't get an invite.
Without the contemporaneous football success, we don't get an invite.

Without the market we don’t either. But we didn’t have to starve every sport to do it. It’s called fundraising.

This isn’t rocket science guys. You can have mediocre football like we did under GS and still fund other programs. It’s called fundraising.

Reactions: Rutgers56
yeah its not tied into making sure Pat Hobbs is AD so we can fund a mediocre lacrosse program

meanwhile you are a poster shitting on our only success in major sports in 20 years and our AD as well...so great
Bac, I’m not trying to convince you. I get it. You are emotional and myopic. You don’t understand fundraising and how important it is in a dept. it’s funneling all money to a mediocre football program or nothing. I can also see you have no inside information as to how things were run or are now.

I’m ok with you thinking this. No need to debate it further.

BTW, any real AD is going to fund all the sports.

Bac, I’m not trying to convince you. I get it. You are emotional and myopic. You don’t understand fundraising and how important it is in a dept. it’s funneling all money to a mediocre football program or nothing. I can also see you have no inside information as to how things were run or are now.

I’m ok with you thinking this. No need to debate it further.

BTW, any real AD is going to fund all the sports.

i was the first one here routinely laying into Bob Mulcahy over is neglect of basketball long before you decided to cry about lacrosse..again as if lacrosse would be the one getting any money..hint it would all be going to hoops

but Mulcahy and Greg gave Rutgers the relevancy it needed to get into the Big 10...and yes the market was the overall factor but clearly not if not showing to be a program committed to football

and whoever the new AD will, you seem to be emotional crying that Greg and the new AD will conspire to end all other sports....sounds like a drama queen to me..who is being emotional..stop fear mongering.

I get it you love Pat, Hobbs killed our football program...yeah that matters. This has nothing to do with Mulcahy except you trying to tear down Greg Schiano

Nothing to disagree about. I’ve stated facts.

Here is another. Good AD’s don’t think myopically, like some people in this thread.

You can have a mediocre football program AND fund other sports appropriately. It’s called doing your job.

A monkey could have bled every other program dry to funnel funds to football. That took no skill or effort.

See how UConn did it.

Yeah um ok. You're happy with your opinion. Good for you.

Rutgers got in the Big Ten due to many reasons.
To name a few:

1. Largest tv market
  2. We have the records for the highest rated CFB games in our demo plus the highest rated CFB game ever on Thursday.
  3. AAU member
  4. Land Grant State University
  5. NJ borders a Big Ten State (PA)
  6. We expanded our Stadium
  7. Recruiting grounds
  8. Large Big Ten Alumni base in the NJ and NYC
  9. Recent success by going to bowl games on a regular basis
  10. The Blue Bloods wanted Rutgers in the Big Ten
  11. To expand the conference footprint and turn a huge population based into Big Ten country.
They did not invited us because of MBB because that been hopeless since the early 90's. They also didn't invited us to add credibility to the conference by beating up SEC teams and winning a National Championship.

Now Rutgers have won two National Championships since joining by not in football.

We the right hire we can get back to going bowling on a regular basis.

i was the first one here routinely laying into Bob Mulcahy over is neglect of basketball long before you decided to cry about lacrosse..again as if lacrosse would be the one getting any money..hint it would all be going to hoops

but Mulcahy and Greg gave Rutgers the relevancy it needed to get into the Big 10...and yes the market was the overall factor but clearly not if not showing to be a program committed to football

and whoever the new AD will, you seem to be emotional crying that Greg and the new AD will conspire to end all other sports....sounds like a drama queen to me..who is being emotional..stop fear mongering.

I get it you love Pat, Hobbs killed our football program...yeah that matters. This has nothing to do with Mulcahy except you trying to tear down Greg Schiano
You’re getting emotional again. Breathe.

GS is probably where we are right now. I’m sort of expecting it. Facts aren’t tearing down. Sorry.

I get it, I really do. You don’t understand fundraising and the fact that schools like Uconn of all places understood how to build a program and win in other sports. Your position is krystal. No need to belabor it.

[QUOTE="bac2therac, post: 4128151, member: 352"]i was the first one here routinely laying into Bob Mulcahy over is neglect of basketball

I remember many disagreements with you over this.

Reactions: bac2therac
That’s exactly right. Some of these football meatheads have such low expectations. BM didn’t fundraise. He has no understanding of how to do it. So he starved other programs to prop up his mediocre football program. Never won the weak BE. Sad.

Cali:

you’re being ridiculous here. First off, every AD does their best according to their skillset. Bob Mulcahy got the funds and helped dramatically improve football facilities, which helped strengthen our Big Ten Membership Application. That’s the biggest reason that they rammed the stadium expansion through in 2008. I was told this in 2007, by someone who would know. Now Rutgers Stadium is on par with the best stadiums in the Big Ten. He also significantly expanded the size and scope of Hale Center. Prior to expansion, rival recruiters, like those from Syracuse, were able to talk about how bad our football facilities were.

You’re right, other sports did not receive adequate funding during this time. That’s because football had the highest potential return on investment. It was a business decision. And it paid off, with season tickets ultimately rising to around 31K.
this also increased the number of people that donated to Rutgers.

Pat Hobbs fundraising efforts were assisted by the foundation that Bob Mulcahy set. Greg Brown donated $5M for the football recruiting pregame pavilion in the stadium for starters. And it’s hard for me to imagine that our fundraising efforts would have been as successful if we weren’t in the Big Ten. People are in the mood to give to help Rutgers Better compete in this conference.

new investments are needed in football as our peers are investing heavily in facilities. Maryland spent $200M on a new football facility. I’d like to see something similar at Rutgers.

Lacrosse will be sharing the new $65M Rodkin Center. Once that is done Lacrosse should have everything it needs to be successful. The squad is also benefiting from the field turf surface it plays on. That’s due to Bob.

so I’m having a hard time understanding what your concern is. Are you afraid they will reduce scholarships?

15 years without a ncaa bid and incredible mediocre record...not shedding tears for an unsuccessful program.

Last Rutgers sport to be ranked number 1 in the country? MLAX. 2016. Bac you are highly emotional. Lax guys take your girl something? Very strange.

Haha #1 and didnt make the ncaa tourney...now that team sounds like a fraud

Your understanding of athletics is a fraud.

Ouch! Looks like Randolph and Mortimer have had another falling out.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Cali:
You’re right, other sports did not receive adequate funding during this time. That’s because football had the highest potential return on investment. It was a business decision. And it paid off, with season tickets ultimately rising to around 31K. this also increased the number of people that donated to Rutgers.

It annoys me that Al said the smartest thing in 21 pages.

I actually like Hobbs but not sure if he is the guy to lead a B1G Athletic dept. He has raised a lot of money - This has been his real strength. Though, we still fall low on the totem pole of P5 programs but it is a LOT for Rutgers.
He built facilities- and this ties to the first point. This has happened because of his efforts.
He has improved many of the other sports.
But...somehow, with fund raising going up and facilities improving, he has presided on a football program that just went through 2/3 bad years and made it the worst in P5 and maybe one of the worst P5 has ever had. Our program has almost NOTHING left.
Basketball- Yes, Pike seems so much better then who he followed but...we still can't even sniff an NIT much less NCAA- a basketball program cannot be as bad as we have been over 20+ years even if it tried. And yes, while I know it is a process, I have seen small little schools come out of no where with jr HS facilities and be a 16 seed in the NCAA.

These are the TWO programs that drive the athletic bus. It is almost like hiring a CEO and they start taking on tasks like getting a new payroll system and maybe better vending machines in the breakroom but not doing anything about declining sales or R&D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT