ADVERTISEMENT

It's going down

Rutgers got in the Big Ten due to many reasons.
To name a few:

1. Largest tv market
  2. We have the records for the highest rated CFB games in our demo plus the highest rated CFB game ever on Thursday.
  3. AAU member
  4. Land Grant State University
  5. NJ borders a Big Ten State (PA)
  6. We expanded our Stadium
  7. Recruiting grounds
  8. Large Big Ten Alumni base in the NJ and NYC
  9. Recent success by going to bowl games on a regular basis
  10. The Blue Bloods wanted Rutgers in the Big Ten
  11. To expand the conference footprint and turn a huge population based into Big Ten country.
They did not invited us because of MBB because that been hopeless since the early 90's. They also didn't invited us to add credibility to the conference by beating up SEC teams and winning a National Championship.

Now Rutgers have won two National Championships since joining by not in football.

We the right hire we can get back to going bowling on a regular basis.
This is how you spend your Saturday nights?

I would call building facilities and fundraising every bit as important as sales and r and d.

Ash. That’s been his mistake. Virtually everything else has been solid to great.

if Pat were to leave today it would be a huge tip of the cap. He would be leaving this place far better than he found it.

Rutgers got in the Big Ten due to many reasons.
To name a few:

1. Largest tv market
  2. We have the records for the highest rated CFB games in our demo plus the highest rated CFB game ever on Thursday.
  3. AAU member
  4. Land Grant State University
  5. NJ borders a Big Ten State (PA)
  6. We expanded our Stadium
  7. Recruiting grounds
  8. Large Big Ten Alumni base in the NJ and NYC
  9. Recent success by going to bowl games on a regular basis
  10. The Blue Bloods wanted Rutgers in the Big Ten
  11. To expand the conference footprint and turn a huge population based into Big Ten country.
They did not invited us because of MBB because that been hopeless since the early 90's. They also didn't invited us to add credibility to the conference by beating up SEC teams and winning a National Championship.

Now Rutgers have won two National Championships since joining by not in football.

We the right hire we can get back to going bowling on a regular basis.

And RU fits the academic profile of the conference- smack dab in the upper middle in terms of SAT, GPA, most rankings.

I would call building facilities and fundraising every bit as important as sales and r and d.

Ash. That’s been his mistake. Virtually everything else has been solid to great.

if Pat were to leave today it would be a huge tip of the cap. He would be leaving this place far better than he found it.

Not really, he build a state of the art 'Lab' but did not bring in anyone to make his product better. That beautiful lab is just window dressing

Reactions: RU Cheese
Not really, he build a state of the art 'Lab' but did not bring in anyone to make his product better. That beautiful lab is just window dressing
Pike, women’s soccer coach, men’s coach, extended Stringer, extended Brecht, increased assistant money and paid for a DOO, invested in wrestling and brought in assistants, FH coach, support levels across the board...he has brought in a lot of good people.

Ash. That was his mistake. Fair take. But beyond that he’s done better than you could have hoped.

Those beautiful labs attract great researchers. Who wants to work in a shitty environment?

A list schools sure seem to spend a lot of money on that “window dressing”.

It's really that simple. Without all the static, is the AD on better footing today than it was in December 2015, when Hobbs was hired? The unequivocal answer is yes. I don't know what's going on behind-the-scenes, but have been happy with Hobbs. Sure, he's had some hiccups, but he's also generated a fair amount of Goodwill in my opinion. Given Barchi's and the BOG's wilful ignorance on all things athletics, best that they be involved as little as possible in any hiring/firing decisions, unless it's critical.

It's really that simple. Without all the static, is the AD on better footing today than it was in December 2015, when Hobbs was hired? The unequivocal answer is yes. I don't know what's going on behind-the-scenes, but have been happy with Hobbs. Sure, he's had some hiccups, but he's also generated a fair amount of Goodwill in my opinion. Given Barchi's and the BOG's wilful ignorance on all things athletics, best that they be involved as little as possible in any hiring/firing decisions, unless it's critical.

I believe we should all work together to #SavePatHobbs

When do you think Schiano will be announced?

No idea.

I know some people have predicted soon / this week, but I'm not so sure. I think that would be really disrespectful to Nunz, for one. Probably very distracting to the team, as well.

No idea.

I know some people have predicted soon / this week, but I'm not so sure. I think that would be really disrespectful to Nunz, for one. Probably very distracting to the team, as well.
Aren't Nunz and GS pretty close? If GS is announced soon, I assume he would make it clear that Nunz will have a big role on his staff. Perhaps when GS is locked up, the push to dump Hobbs will diminish? As I said before, the best scenario is to have both at RU.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Aren't Nunz and GS pretty close? If GS is announced soon, I assume he would make it clear that Nunz will have a big role on his staff. Perhaps when GS is locked up, the push to dump Hobbs will diminish? As I said before, the best scenario is to have both at RU.

Hopefully he'd keep Nunzio. But in what capacity? I wouldn't want him for OC, I think we need some real innovation, there. And we need an ace O-line coach, as well. The O-line play has been so far below potential it's not funny.

As for Hobbs... I think the boosters' enmity for Pat Hobbs has much less to do with Greg Schiano than most people assume.

Better than December 2015 is a helluva low bar. In that short of a span, two of his hires have had abuse scandals and the football program has arguably never been worse. And I’m a basketball guy who is delighted with the APC. And for that I credit Lesniak a lot for getting it started. Whatever goodwill he created he eroded greatly over the past 6 weeks.

Last edited:
No idea.

some people? Didn’t you say it was going to be Monday?

Holy hell. You're just littering the board today with erroneous claims. Maybe someone needs a timeout?

Read the OP, he said by Thanksgiving. Several other posters have claimed their sources say Monday.

Read the OP, he said by Thanksgiving. Several other posters have claimed their sources say Monday.
Expect walk backs and denials.
I hope someone saved all the inside info messages of what is going to happen.
Remember , if I'm remembering it right, someone posted Schiano has a signed contract and another inside ifo bit was that on Nov 6th Schiano was going to be announced as the new RU HC.

Also said Hobbs was being fired and that was coming out soon.

Would be nice to see those who gave inside ifo messages repeat them to show they back up what they say, or someone re-post their messages claiming they know and what they claimed to know for a fact that no one else does YET

Reactions: ATIOH
22 pages of gossip and hearsay. This could be a record.To the original post. IF the big money guys aren’t happy with Hobbs, wouldn’t they just hold back donations til he’s gone? That works every time.

22 pages of gossip and hearsay. This could be a record.To the original post. IF the big money guys aren’t happy with Hobbs, wouldn’t they just hold back donations til he’s gone? That works every time.
That would work. But if you have a lot of money, no real authority, and a huge ego, you might opt for something a little more machiavellian.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
What page will this thread reach before it goes down?

O/U 26.5

I'll take the over for 200, Alex.

i was the first one here routinely laying into Bob Mulcahy over is neglect of basketball
I can attest to this as well, having at the time made many of the same points to BAC that he is making now.

As for Hobbs... I think the boosters' enmity for Pat Hobbs has much less to do with Greg Schiano than most people assume.
Serious question. As someone just above asked, if the boosters feel such enmity towards Pat, why would there have been such record donations during his tenure? They had no problem withholding the funds from Julie to fire Flood so it clearly isn't some altruistic love for Dear old Rutgers. This whole thing is making me start to wonder if (big if) there is in fact something in motion, that maybe the target isn't Pat but G Brown.

Reactions: bac2therac
This whole thing is making me start to wonder if (big if) there is in fact something in motion, that maybe the target isn't Pat but G Brown.
Not a chance. Brown is appointed to the Board of Governors until 2023. It is virtually impossible to remove a BOG appointee.

The only way this rumor makes any sense (if there is any validity at all) is if the target is Hobbs, or to force Hobbs to make a move, and the perpetrator is someone with a lot of money, no authority, and a huge ego.

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
Not a chance. Brown is appointed to the Board of Governors until 2023. It is virtually impossible to remove a BOG appointee.

The only way this rumor makes any sense (if there is any validity at all) is if the target is Hobbs, or to force Hobbs to make a move, and the perpetrator is someone with a lot of money, no authority, and a huge ego.
I was thinking along the lines of gaining control of the Athletics committee, not removing him from the board. Looked at the bylaws and there's no mention of how committee chairs are appointed and to what terms, so I suspect it may be one of those"at the pleasure of the board" deals. Agree on the big money, huge ego, no power as making the most sense. Also would think it would be a football-centric person but don't know enough to know who all the players are.

Expect walk backs and denials.
I hope someone saved all the inside info messages of what is going to happen.
Remember , if I'm remembering it right, someone posted Schiano has a signed contract and another inside ifo bit was that on Nov 6th Schiano was going to be announced as the new RU HC.

Also said Hobbs was being fired and that was coming out soon.

Would be nice to see those who gave inside ifo messages repeat them to show they back up what they say, or someone re-post their messages claiming they know and what they claimed to know for a fact that no one else does YET

I was not saying you are wrong. I have been poking a little fun at all the insider sources stuff, basically because I have no sources and know nothing, but in the case of 4real he never said Monday. Just that it would be done by thanksgiving.

I was thinking along the lines of gaining control of the Athletics committee, not removing him from the board. Looked at the bylaws and there's no mention of how committee chairs are appointed and to what terms, so I suspect it may be one of those"at the pleasure of the board" deals. Agree on the big money, huge ego, no power as making the most sense. Also would think it would be a football-centric person but don't know enough to know who all the players are.
Possibility. That would assume that the instigator(s) are on the BOG or have someone on the BOG they want to seat in that position.

Bias - keep this word in your head as you read the following.

I'd like to expand further on ratings, and how we sustained nicely in NJ, even after the team fell off quality-wise after 06-07.

Since I am recently no longer employed by Nielsen, I can expand a little more on the ratings and how easily they are manipulated. Nielsen uses a very small sample size to determine ratings in a DMA. In the NY DMA it was only 1000 homes. 1000 homes, determine ratings for 19 million people. When the sample size is that small, the slightest bias can drastically skew ratings.

For example, there was 1 (one) person who was a Nielsen household who watched Pix11 news in the evening (I dont recall the exact time slot) That person's time as a Nielsen member timed itself out after two years. Overnight, Pix 11 news lost their ENTIRE viewership according to Nielsen when that person left the sample.

Did you ever wonder why cities are picked to appear on a local weather map? It's because a local household is watching that news station at that time slot, and offering up their town on a weather map is a subliminal carrot meant to keep them watching that news daily.

So how does this relate to Rutgers? Well, during the college football expansion period, I was one of a handful of people who would pitch "random" houses on becoming a Nielsen household. Nielsen would choose a primary house in a zip code to participate. If they said no, it was sort of a free for all to pick another house in the area to participate.

Some of the homes signed up were friends, people with block R flags on their flag pole (much more common back then), people with block R's on their cars in the driveway. Anyway, you can surmise that there was quite the Rutgers influence in the local Central / North NJ area. Some of the people I remember participating were the best friend of a very prominent former coach, grandparents of a well known player, a stadium security guard, a supportive local HS assistant coach, etc. I could go on.

Knowing what I said a few paragraphs earlier, in that one or 2 houses can make up an entire tv viewership in a DMA, think about the numbers that can be skewed in just NJ, let alone the entire DMA.

So yeah, while its great that we're in the largest media market, it wouldnt have meant a damn thing if Nielsen households werent watching. Without bias, what do you think the odds were of any Nielsen house watching a Rutgers/UConn game in NJ? I'd say near-zero. With bias in selection, that number changed drastically, and well the rest is history....

So you are the reason we are in the BIG?

I was not saying you are wrong. I have been poking a little fun at all the insider sources stuff, basically because I have no sources and know nothing, but in the case of 4real he never said Monday. Just that it would be done by thanksgiving.
I have heard so many things that are guaranteed to happen I'm having a hard time remembering where and when they will.
Heck being done by Thanksgiving eluded me until you mentioned it and pretty sure someone claimed on the 6th something would happen.

My main point is when things don't happen when they're supposed to whoever made a claim will walk it back with a flimsy excuse or deny saying what they said and claim what they said was taken out of context.

I believe someone posted Schiano was hired already because everyone Rutgers contacted turned down a chance to coach RU.
Think someone also posted that the contract was already signed.
It's hard to keep up with the claims.
Wish someone could find them all ( not opinions or could happen type, but actual claims of being told by those in the know something is going to hap[pen or in Schiano's case being hired and contract signed) and start a thread with the actual claims and the original post by the person saying they have inside info .
Then when it happens they can gather glory or when it don't ,tell why they claimed something was a done deal when it wasn't.

I have heard so many things that are guaranteed to happen I'm having a hard time remembering where and when they will.
Heck being done by Thanksgiving eluded me until you mentioned it and pretty sure someone claimed on the 6th something would happen.

My main point is when things don't happen when they're supposed to whoever made a claim will walk it back with a flimsy excuse or deny saying what they said and claim what they said was taken out of context.

I believe someone posted Schiano was hired already because everyone Rutgers contacted turned down a chance to coach RU.
Think someone also posted that the contract was already signed.
It's hard to keep up with the claims.
Wish someone could find them all ( not opinions or could happen type, but actual claims of being told by those in the know something is going to hap[pen or in Schiano's case being hired and contract signed) and start a thread with the actual claims and the original post by the person saying they have inside info .
Then when it happens they can gather glory or when it don't ,tell why they claimed something was a done deal when it wasn't.

That’s why we are all here isn’t it??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT