ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coin shops in northern NJ?

DJ Spanky

The Lunatic is in my Head
Jul 25, 2001
I'm getting both Tyler and Corey into coin collecting and want to get them some of the Whitman albums. I was hoping to visit a local coin shop, but everything around me has pretty much gone out of business. When I did a Google search, all I got were places that dealt in collectable coins way above the average coin collector's price range. Does anyone know of shops in the area which cater to this?

Ya know... any kid is gonna get his ass kicked a reasonable number of times in his life. They don't need your help.

There's a place in Ridgewood, but I'm not sure they'd be what you're looking for (and you might have seen them via google). I can check around for the name of the place if you haven't seen them.

Edited to add: google Ridgewood Coin & Stamp
This post was edited on 2/25 3:09 PM by mdk01

I have been looking for. Coin shop as well

I found a gold Canadian maple leaf coin in the house I own in the attic randomly . Must be from previous owners but I'm curious as to what it may be worth and obviously I want to sell it.

I had deleted my dollar comment bc it could have been taken as d$ckish but since you saw it. It's probably simple a Canadian toonie and worth 1 dollar

This post was edited on 2/25 6:09 PM by vkj91

This post was edited on 2/25 6:41 PM by vkj91

What type of coin collecting are you thinking of? I enjoyed collecting the state quarters when they started that program. Of course they are only worth .25 each. If I was to get into coin collecting I would want to get silver eagles, but only one per year. Buy them directly from the US mint. Then with each coin year they can write down one or two things they did that year along side the coin. After 40 years they will have a valuable collection of silver and 40 years of looking back at something fun they did each of those years that they wrote down or put a picture with it. If they have kid they can pass the book on to their kid.

Most kids are not really into saving coins, they rather spend them :-)

This post was edited on 2/25 6:19 PM by Extra Point

very good place in Red Bank on Monmouth Street. I know that is not North Jersey but not too far off Parkway.

Originally posted by DJ Spanky:
I'm getting both Tyler and Corey into coin collecting and want to get them some of the Whitman albums. I was hoping to visit a local coin shop, but everything around me has pretty much gone out of business. When I did a Google search, all I got were places that dealt in collectable coins way above the average coin collector's price range. Does anyone know of shops in the area which cater to this?
I've heard Corona Jewelers is reputable. 221 Boulevard, Hasbrouck Heights. Depending on how far north you are, also try Hillsborough Coin on Rt 22 in Green Brook.

whitman.com will have supplies you can order directly. Buy a 2015 Guide Book, commonly referred to as the Red Book. That'll give you a general idea of coin values.

Also, there's a decent monthly coin show in Parsippany. First Sunday of every month. Take your kids & ask a lot of questions. Don't buy anything not authenticated/graded by PCGS or NGC. http://www.gscsshow.com/

Originally posted by RC1978:
very good place in Red Bank on Monmouth Street. I know that is not North Jersey but not too far off Parkway.
I used to go there when I was a kid and was astonished to discover that it was still in the same spot when I went back to Red Bank about a year ago. (And Red Bank is much hipper than it was when I lived in New Jersey.)

There are two in Ridgewood. The first one is called something like Ridgewood Coin and Stamp. The guy in there is a very good guy and will talk your ear off. He literally collects EVERYTHING (art, expensive cars, and more). I brought my sons in one day, and he literally talked to them about coins for an hour and extended it to general investment. His name is Craig. I would definitely recommend talking to him.

Right around the corner - about 5 doors down - is a jewelry shop that sells a bunch of coins I can't think of the name off-hand. The guy there actually runs a coin collecting class.

I took my kids into both to stock up on some silver. I thought it would be interesting to have something of value that they could hold. Our goal is to follow the price of silver and use that as an opportunity to discuss investment in general. I bought them some collectible silver coins, as well as what they call "junk silver" (crappy old coins whose primary value is just for the silver content).

Vk and blackout, a "toonie" = 2 dollars (Canadian). A "loonie" = 1 dollar. The gold color coin is a "loonie." But it has a loon on it. You may have a 1-oz gold coin there, but it would be marked as such. Google "canadian coin with maple leaf." Good luck.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I can remember getting excited as a kid when the 1959 pennies came out with the Lincoln Memorial on the back,replacing the wheat stalks.

Other coins from that era that turned me on were the Franklin half dollar,the silver dollar,and the 1943 zinc penny.

Originally posted by John Otterstedt:
There are two in Ridgewood. The first one is called something like Ridgewood Coin and Stamp. The guy in there is a very good guy and will talk your ear off. He literally collects EVERYTHING (art, expensive cars, and more). I brought my sons in one day, and he literally talked to them about coins for an hour and extended it to general investment. His name is Craig. I would definitely recommend talking to him.

Right around the corner - about 5 doors down - is a jewelry shop that sells a bunch of coins I can't think of the name off-hand. The guy there actually runs a coin collecting class.

I took my kids into both to stock up on some silver. I thought it would be interesting to have something of value that they could hold. Our goal is to follow the price of silver and use that as an opportunity to discuss investment in general. I bought them some collectible silver coins, as well as what they call "junk silver" (crappy old coins whose primary value is just for the silver content).
Definitely a good way to teach kids about investing & the value of money. You can buy nice near-gem and gem Morgan dollars from the 1880's in the $75-175 range (they currently melt for $17+). You can also build sets of beautiful high-grade Mercury dimes, Buffalo nickels & other early 20th century types for under $100/coin. The prettier the coin, the more likely its value will hold or appreciate. Nice coins are hard to find. Just make sure the coins are graded by PCGS or NGC (unless you're buying something at melt value) so you don't buy something with problems that a newbie/novice would not detect.

"Nice coins are hard to find."

When I was kid with those coin books it was possible to find things in circulation. Now forget about it. As an adult I collected St Gaudens gold pieces. Those and many coins are rated by services now. You can buy online from reputable dealers without much worry.

Spanky, If you are just looking for the albums themselves I' m pretty sure I saw them in Barnes and Noble in Totowa. RT.46 West in the Kohl's Shopping Plaza where Best Buy's is. They also had some books on coin collecting and price guides. This was a while ago but may be worth a look see.

I have been to the place in Ridgewood that John recommended and it's a good place. And, I think that there's still a little shop in Oradell across from the fire station on Kinderkamack Road. And I think that there's one in Clifton on Main Avenue.

screw modern coins. You can get coins from ancient Rome encrusted in mud from Croatia for about a buck a piece on ebay. just search "uncleaned roman coins". Then google how to clean them. A hell of a lot more fun & it's actually something your kids would enjoy, not pretend to like it just to make Dad happy.

I did it about 15-20 years ago and have a collection of about 50 different emperors. Had I known gold & silver would skyrocket I would have put money into them instead of the bronze coins.

Originally posted by RUinPinehurst:
Vk and blackout, a "toonie" = 2 dollars (Canadian). A "loonie" = 1 dollar. The gold color coin is a "loonie." But it has a loon on it. You may have a 1-oz gold coin there, but it would be marked as such. Google "canadian coin with maple leaf." Good luck.
Lol. I can't believe I messed that up in my edit. Tooth fairy drops those things off in bunches in my house

I know its not North Jersey but there are coin shops in Yardville and Hamilton.

Originally posted by RUinPinehurst:
You very well might have found a 1oz gold coin. Last year a couple found 8 old rusty metal cans buried on their property when they were walking their dog. The cans were full of gold and silver coins worth over 11 million dollars. Most of the coins were in mint condition. No one can figure out who buried the stash there so many years ago.

Gold coins found in back yard

I always go to the American Coin and Stamp company on Main Ave in Clifton. The owner is a good guy, and always answers any questions you might have. He probably has the largest coin inventory in NJ.

I highly recommend it.

American Coin and Stamp

Also, they are PCGS and NGC certified, so if you want any coins to be graded, you can bring them there, and they will take care of it.

That's not really my thing, I collect coins which have been used and are worn. I just like them better than the stuff that you can see your reflection in because they were actually used by people to buy things, but that's just me.

Don't go to a jewelry store as John suggested or you are going to be overpaying. It's not a good idea. Coin dealers buy and sell in volume, and this place has the largest volume in the state.

If you are looking for Whitman books, he should have them as I've bought them there before. He also has capsules whether they are for multiple coins or singles.

Also, if you buy silver and you want to avoid toning (which won't affect the value of the coin, but some people don't like it) don't use the cases with cardboard or the Whitman books as the coins sometimes react to this and begin to change. I recommend plastic only.

Spot Silver is at $16 and change right now. It was at $45 in 2008, so it may be a good time to buy or it could settle back to $5 and change. Who knows.

15 year Silver Spot

Main St Ramsey has a coin and stamp shop- small but has been there a long time. Couldn't tell you anymore then that though, never been in it

Spanky, please send me an e-mail at piscatawaymike (at) gmail (dot) com

There's a good chance I can help you out and you'd be doing me a favor as well.

Really like the owner at Ridewood Coin and Stamp
Originally posted by John Otterstedt:

Originally posted by RUBlackout:
I have been looking for. Coin shop as well

I found a gold Canadian maple leaf coin in the house I own in the attic randomly . Must be from previous owners but I'm curious as to what it may be worth and obviously I want to sell it.
Sell it on ebay for spot plus a couple of bucks (spot is $1210 right now)

Or a local coin or some jewelry stores for spot minus a couple of bucks.

Originally posted by PiscatawayMike:
Spanky, please send me an e-mail at piscatawaymike (at) gmail (dot) com

There's a good chance I can help you out and you'd be doing me a favor as well.
Incoming!

So I did some research on this and it is a 1oz $50 dollar 99,9% pure gold coin from 1979.

They only distributed 1mm of these coins in 1979 and it was the first actual gold coin issued in Canada and that program only lasted a few years before they starting reducing the amount of gold in the coins. pretty cool actually.

It seems the coin is worth spot rate plus a few bucks like one of the posters mentioned. I have yet to go to a store to sell it or see how much I can get but I may just hang on to it now based on what I read.

I guess I have to go and check out the rest of my attic also got more potentially...ha

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT