ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Favorite Thanksgiving Food

What is your favorite Thanksgiving food?

• GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • YAMS/SWEET POTATOES

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • CRANBERRY SAUCE

Votes: 12 12.0%
  • APPLE/PUMPKIN/PECAN PIE

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • TURKEY

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • CORN

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • STUFFIN

Votes: 58 58.0%
  • GRAVY

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • MASHED POTATOES

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • OTHER: MCDONALDS/OX TAIL/STUFFED SHELLS/PIEORGIES

Votes: 8 8.0%

• Total voters
its that time of the year again......feel free to pick more than one

I’ll respond to the poll, but the best bite of the meal is the one where you to get some turkey, some stuffing, some cranberry, some mashed potato, some sweet potato w/ syrup + marshmallow, some gravy, and possibly a corn kernel or two in one forkful.

I roast little white potatoes (from a can) in the turkey fat for hours until they are extremely crispy on the outside. That is the favorite thing in our house.
My mom did similar but with quartered real potatoes and the fat from a leg of lamb. As the leg of lamb was resting out of the oven she would jack up the heat after turning the potatoes in the oven for like 10/15 minutes. Nervana!!

Reactions: Beancounter88
I love stuffing, especially when it has cranberries in it. Hot stuffing and juicy turkey meat, and mashed potatoes with gravy. And pumpkin pie, heck the question should be what don't you like.

• Love
Reactions: bac2therac
Yup in a runaway every year
I'm fairly sure I've posted this story before but my youngest sister was hosting about 10 years ago. I'm one of six so we all bring different things so the host doesn't have to cook it it all. I deep fried the turkeys and was one of three to also make stuffing. My youngest sister says she is making a pineapple stuffing. She was a educated and professional chef at one time but pineapple stuffing?? Sounds gross. It was F-ing great

I'm fairly sure I've posted this story before but my youngest sister was hosting about 10 years ago. I'm one of six so we all bring different things so the host doesn't have to cook it it all. I deep fried the turkeys and was one of three to also make stuffing. My youngest sister says she is making a pineapple stuffing. She was a educated and professional chef at one time but pineapple stuffing?? Sounds gross. It was F-ing great

I hope she doesn't put pineapple on pizza

• Haha
Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
I wasn’t asked but my stuffing recipe is (without specifying proportions) bread crumbs, sausage, onion, carrot, apple, butter, all cooked in the turkey. Edit, and a bit of finely graded celery.

Last edited:
  • Love
I wasn’t asked but my stuffing receipt is (without specifying proportions) bread crumbs, sausage, onion, carrot, apple, butter, all cooked in the turkey.
Mine is regular stuffing, apple, dried cranberries and sausage. A combination of mild and hot sausage. And some secret spices. Not in the turkey as I deep fry it.

An appetizer we always had in my family was celery stuffed with Old English cheddar cheese spread

Joe Rogan swears pineapple and anchovy pizza is the best. I love both so have to try

Not much for anchovies, but the salt and sweet go well. I like pepperoni and pineapple, sometimes with jalapeños.

Not sure about anchovies with fruit, but if I liked 'em, I'd give it a shot.

Reactions: ATIOH and newell138
Here’s a Thanksgiving recipe tweak. Take your favorite bread-based stuffing and add a bunch of beaten eggs. Cook in muffin trays. Stuffin’ muffins. Lots of crispy bits. Yum.

Ingredients - Sourdough baguettes cut up into 1/2” cubes and lightly toasted, thick cut bacon sliced into bite-size pieces, crumbled Italian sausages. Par cook the bacon and sausage. Save the grease.

Onions, carrots, celery and fennel. Chop up the veg and par cook in the reserved grease. Add lots of chopped parsley and sage at the end.

Bring everything together in a big bowl +
Some melted butter plus enough turkey stock to rehydrate the bread. Stir in the eggs.

Jam the mixture into muffin trays. You can stuff the stuffing in there hard.

Bake until golden brown and toasty.

Last edited:
Turkey is my least favorite meat (meaning I like it, but don't love it) and while I love stuffing, I hate almost everything else usually served for Thanksgiving, such as sweet potatoes, yams, cranberry sauce, ambrosia, green beans, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, etc. As a kid, my mom would make crescent rolls just for me, so I'd eat turkey, stuffing and rolls, which was enough.

But as a grown-up, we've rarely had TG food, except for a few times when my wife really wanted it (she loves it, but our son also dislikes most of it). This year is top shelf butcher steaks, stuffing, mac-n-cheese, roasted potatoes, shepherd's salad and, yes, crescent rolls. Many years we eat out for TG, like last year when we were in DC visiting my wife's sister.

Love the holiday, though, especially watching football and playing it when I was younger; we'll still sometimes throw the ball around in the yard...

Add crescent rolls filled with Brie and hot pepper jelly, mashed rutabagas, and stuffing, I make two types, one a heavily herbed stuffing with sweet and hot sausage and a lot of chopped veggies, plus a cornbread based (50%) oyster stuffing. Who needs anything else …. Well maybe a coconut custard pie And Kona coffee.

Real stuffing, cooked inside the turkey is the best.
Anything out of a box is a crime against humanity.
Actually poisoning people is a crime against humanity, just saying. Besides it's all in your mind that it's better.
Your stuffing is either undercooked or your turkey is dry. You can't have both fully cooked stuffing and moist turkey.

Last edited:
Actually poisoning people is a crime against humanity, just saying. Besides it's all in your mind that it's better.
Your stuffing is either undercooked or your turkey is dry. You can't have both fully cooked stuffing and moist turkey.

Appreciate the moral clarity and lame attempt at psychoanalysis.
You have no clue what you're talking about with your second statement. Good try.

You have no clue what you're talking about with your second statement. Good try.

He's not wrong about Stove Top. Great stuff. Even better on a random calendar day.

Don't believe me. There are thousands of articles about it. Smart people that have the same delusion that it tastes better will remove the turkey when it's done. Remove the stuffing and finish cooking it in the oven. Dumb people eat dry turkey. You must be one of the well done steak people. Enjoy your leather🦃!
BTW I'm not seriously telling what and how you should enjoy your Thanksgiving. To each their own way. Just having fun. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Don't believe me. There are thousands of articles about it. Smart people that have the same delusion that it tastes better will remove the turkey when it's done. Remove the stuffing and finish cooking it in the oven. Dumb people eat dry turkey. You must be one of the well done steak people. Enjoy your leather🦃!
BTW I'm not seriously telling what and how you should enjoy your Thanksgiving. To each their own way. Just having fun. Enjoy.

You've got a point. But homemade stuffing cooked outside the bird is the best

Reactions: WhiteBus
I like the fact that there are multiple great foods to select from.

At a normal meal you get a vegetable prepared very simply but at Thanksgiving we have 5 or 6 vegetable dishes prepared in a way the we only see at Thanksgiving.

I heard this year we will see a new dish of green beans and beets and feta cheese. It is not something I would generally eat but I can’t wait to give it a try.

If I don’t like it there are at least 5 others to try.

You probably were in favor of Jim Florio’s no runny eggs law.
Smh

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT