ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Game of Thrones Season 7 Thread

The life story of a poor kid from Bayonne (Marist HS) named George R.R. Martin is pretty inspiring..

https://www.biography.com/people/george-r-r-martin-20786615

http://www.simplethingcalledlife.com/interesting/game-of-thrones-turtles/

George R.R. Martin at Comic-Con (2012)
“Turtles have always been my sigil, I suppose. When I was a kid, growing up in Bayonne, NJ, I lived in a federal housing project, and we were not allowed to have a dog or cats. The only pets I could have were turtles. So, I had an entire toy castle filled with dime-store turtles. I gave them all names, and since they were living in a toy castle, I decided they were all knights and kings…and I made up stories about how they killed each other and betrayed each other and fought for the kingdom. So, Game of Thrones, actually began with turtles. I decided later to recast it with actual human beings.” -George R.R. Martin (Source)

And that’s how Game of Turtles ehrm, Thrones – came to be.

Seems that the first episodes going by titles will feature a lot of Dany.

Third episode is a toss up between Dany or Cersei

Reactions: njcanesfan
Can't wait

I'm beginning to subscribe to the Jamie Lannister is really a Targarian theory...

Can't wait

I'm beginning to subscribe to the Jamie Lannister is really a Targarian theory...

In my opinion, R+L=J is more likely.

Can't wait for the season to start, there are a some shows that have better acting, a handful that are better written, almost none that have more spectacle, and definitely none that put it all together like GOT.

Here's the official recap from HBO if you haven't watched lately.

The life story of a poor kid from Bayonne (Marist HS) named George R.R. Martin is pretty inspiring..

https://www.biography.com/people/george-r-r-martin-20786615

http://www.simplethingcalledlife.com/interesting/game-of-thrones-turtles/

George R.R. Martin at Comic-Con (2012)
“Turtles have always been my sigil, I suppose. When I was a kid, growing up in Bayonne, NJ, I lived in a federal housing project, and we were not allowed to have a dog or cats. The only pets I could have were turtles. So, I had an entire toy castle filled with dime-store turtles. I gave them all names, and since they were living in a toy castle, I decided they were all knights and kings…and I made up stories about how they killed each other and betrayed each other and fought for the kingdom. So, Game of Thrones, actually began with turtles. I decided later to recast it with actual human beings.” -George R.R. Martin (Source)

And that’s how Game of Turtles ehrm, Thrones – came to be.
M favorite Martin quote about what he writes and his readers/viewers went something like.. "I want them to know we are playing for keeps". While I had read other GRRM stuff I had never touched "Song of Ice and Fire" (the Game of Thrones series) until I saw Eddard Stark die.

Until that point it was like every other heroic tale... of probably, The Noble Stark Family.... sure they would have some drama and loss.. but teh main character.. the hero.. he is untouchable.. right?

WRONG says GRRM.

He plays for keeps.

Prior to that one of my favorite GRRM short stories.. for GRRM that means a noveltte.. was Sandkings. I read it in Omni magazine. Fantastic story.. I think I have to find it again to see if it held up to me growing up. Would make for a great movie with what they can do today with CGI.

Warm-up for tomorrow, just watched Hardhome. Perhaps a little Red Wedding as well!

Quick FYI

6:45 PM is S6EP09 then S6E10 followed by the S7E1 on HBO of course.

That's Battle of the Bastards followed by The Winds of Winter and then DRAGONSTONE... which I guess means Dany and the dragons make it home... could be wrong, but that's what that means to me..

The map shows its location is the other side of Blackwater Bay NE of Kings Landing..

But I cannot imagine she'd just head there after Dragonstone. I thin the treat in the north.. Winter is HERE, afterall.. would require some response by someone other than the poor fools stuck up in The Wolfswood.. aka.. The North.

So who is up there now.. the Black Watch and Jon Snow of course. The Knights of the Vale.. what's left of Stannis Baratheon's forces and the Wildmen... and, of course.. the White Walkers and the army of the dead.

some HBO sub channel is showing all of S6 now... oddly much lower def on comcast.. streaming episodes you want is likely better

Quick FYI

6:45 PM is S6EP09 then S6E10 followed by the S7E1 on HBO of course.

That's Battle of the Bastards followed by The Winds of Winter and then DRAGONSTONE... which I guess means Dany and the dragons make it home... could be wrong, but that's what that means to me..

The map shows its location is the other side of Blackwater Bay NE of Kings Landing..

But I cannot imagine she'd just head there after Dragonstone. I thin the treat in the north.. Winter is HERE, afterall.. would require some response by someone other than the poor fools stuck up in The Wolfswood.. aka.. The North.

So who is up there now.. the Black Watch and Jon Snow of course. The Knights of the Vale.. what's left of Stannis Baratheon's forces and the Wildmen... and, of course.. the White Walkers and the army of the dead.

some HBO sub channel is showing all of S6 now... oddly much lower def on comcast.. streaming episodes you want is likely better
Lots of leaks and teasers of Dany and Jon chatting. Maybe that is her first move? Truce with the north.

Last edited:
Lots of leaks and teasers should Dany and Jon chatting? Maybe that is her first move. Truce with the north.
I did not want to give too big a spoiler.. but for years people have guessed about Jon's birth and at the end of last season they revealed the guesses were correct.. he is a Targaryen... um.. Dany's nephew?

And you know to the Targaryens vice is nice, but incest is best.

A lot of people think we'll be seeing Jon riding dragons with Dany.. and one more person.. a lot people think its the Imp, Tyrion Lannister. I haven't looked into that enough to guess myself.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Good first episode, but Ed Sheeran? That cameo and Sam's montage I could've done without.

i had no clue who Ed Sheeran, I had to look him up, but they have been musical guests before, so whatever, that song is from the books. Sam's montage was funny. What you thought they would just open their library to some outsider without forcing him to pay some dues?

Also, Giant Zombies or Zombie Giants!

RIP George Romero

I gave it a 7 out of 10... kinda expected more for a season opener. Still pretty good though
Very good first episode, lots of plot movement and character advancement. But no, not a lot of action, can't have that in every episode.

Interesting that Arya is going straight to Kings Landing. I assumed she would unite with the family in Winterfell.

i had no clue who Ed Sheeran, I had to look him up, but they have been musical guests before, so whatever, that song is from the books. Sam's montage was funny. What you thought they would just open their library to some outsider without forcing him to pay some dues?

Agree with all of this. I didn't even know the Ed Sheeran appearance was a "controversy" until I read some of the recaps today. I guess if you knew him it took you out of the world, but if you didn't know who he was, it didn't phase you. Loved Sam's montage although the wife and I had to look away from the TV. Thought it was a well placed comedy moment.

Overall the show was a bit slow, but had a few good scenes, snappy dialog (especially young Lady Mormont and Euron Greyjoy lines) and moved people into place. Need a few of these types of episodes to get people on base for the Hardhome, Winds of Winter type of episodes to knock em in.

Only major complaint is not enough Dinklage.

Arya kills all the Freys = Greatness.

The script made an extremely valid point last night, I think - House Lannister is done. Unless Tyrion should wed and produce an heir after somehow getting rid of his brother and sister, there will be no dynasty for the Lannisters.

Ed Sheerin played a somewhat recurring role in the Bastard Executioner as well but I may be the only person who actually watched that show which explains why the show got cancelled after one season

The script made an extremely valid point last night, I think - House Lannister is done. Unless Tyrion should wed and produce an heir after somehow getting rid of his brother and sister, there will be no dynasty for the Lannisters.

It was on its last legs when their father died and even before that perhaps as it still owes a TON of money to the Iron Bank. They are broke and thanks to her they are now broken, they burnt every bridge and got themselves all killed, now she is trying to make a deal with a madman, no way that ends well for anyone. I can't see how she lives past this season. As far as Jamie, maybe he has one final redemption story left for him or he dies soon after or right before her.

Ed Sheerin played a somewhat recurring role in the Bastard Executioner as well but I may be the only person who actually watched that show which explains why the show got cancelled after one season
I kinda liked Bastard Executioner.. did not realize Sheeran was in that.

Arya was the highlight of the episode. "I'm going to kill the queen" she says.. after seeing that all the swords were in a pile. She's crafty.

From a more technical standpoint.. I think adding the map of Westeros tot eh floor and talking through the map was a brilliant move because that sense of relative locations was sorely missing from every other episode of GoT ever. Now.. a nerd like me.. I look up Westeros and ASOIAF maps left and right while reading or viewing this stuff. I have to know WHERE things are happening. But it was great to get less involved viewers more information.. imho.

And the sad side of things.. the costumes took a turn for the worse. Really.. is Euron Greyjoy in Pirates of the Caribbean or Game of flippin' Thrones?

Last Season.. formal ware to become King
landscape-1464109266-got605-090315-hs-dsc1382.jpg

metro-sexual Euron audience with the Mother of Dragons
Screen-Shot-2017-07-17-at-3.46.59-AM.jpg

In any case.. I recently read that HBO is working on spinoffs--prequels to GoT.. the Dunk and Egg / Hedge Knight stories would be great!

BTW.. if you want to watch GoT and not spoil anything by reading the books (which is impossible now if you are up to date).. you can read something like...

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms which is 3 related novellas.. the so-called Hedge Knight tales. Good stuff. Predates everything in GoT.. might have some characters you know about.
51gt34HUd9L.jpg

Last edited:

My guess is that since Tyrion is still officially married to Sansa and once Jamie kills Cerci and then dies in a dual with Trormund Giantsbane over Brienne, Tyrion and Sansa stay married and join houses Stark and Lannister.

It was on its last legs when their father died and even before that perhaps as it still owes a TON of money to the Iron Bank. They are broke and thanks to her they are now broken, they burnt every bridge and got themselves all killed, now she is trying to make a deal with a madman, no way that ends well for anyone. I can't see how she lives past this season. As far as Jamie, maybe he has one final redemption story left for him or he dies soon after or right before her.

Incorrect, my friend. That's the throne ("the country") that's in debt. Both to the iron bank and TO the Lannisters. Not close to broke. Unless you say the nation is bankrupt and they won't get anything (which, while a real possibility, is very different)

My guess is that since Tyrion is still officially married to Sansa and once Jamie kills Cerci and then dies in a dual with Trormund Giantsbane over Brienne, Tyrion and Sansa stay married and join houses Stark and Lannister.

I agree that Jamie will kill Cersi but I also think he's going to die a tragic hero. He's going to be a good guy at the end.

So, my friend made a good point today. When you think of Dragons.... you think of "Three" Headed Dragons, there's three dragons... and one is a little smaller....and three Targaryans, Danaerys, John, (possibly) Tyrion. Also, throughout the series, Tyrion is referenced as killing his mother at birth. But it's never said how, meaning, the mother may have been Targaryan and killed off by the Lanister family. Idk... it made sense a little.

Very surprised that Arya after the Freys final drink didn't join her family in the North. This was a good opening to the seventh year.

Very surprised that Arya after the Freys final drink didn't join her family in the North. This was a good opening to the seventh year.
Great point. She must know where her Step-brother and Sister are adn they aren't in Kings Landing....yet.

Tyrion is referenced as killing his mother at birth. But it's never said how, meaning, the mother may have been Targaryan and killed off by the Lanister family. Idk... it made sense a little.

My assumption on that was simple... she just died at childbirth... and Tyrion happened to be the child.

Since Jamie was a Kings Guard for a Targaryen.. maybe you're right and his mother was Targaryen... we know the Lannister house became very strong supplanting Castameer House in their Westerlands (Rains of Castameer song). Perhaps that was with the help of Targaryen support.

From this Wiki entry on Lady Joana Lannister... based on canon...

- Tyrions mother did die in childbirth
- she was a Lannister.. cousin to her husband Tywin "I died on the john with an arrow in my gut" Lannister
- she may have had an affair years earlier with Aerys Targaryen (who would become the Mad King).. but that was before marrying Tywin and the twins Jamie and Cersie are his...
- but the timing of a tournament to homor Aerys is about the right timing for her to have renewed her affair with Aerys and gotten pregnant with Tyrion... who "killed her" in childbirth.

Reactions: njcanesfan
Great point. She must know where her Step-brother and Sister are and they aren't in Kings Landing....yet.
Arya is working her list again. And that's great television!

I just want to see her reunited with the Hound. Would make for quite the team.. Arya, Clegane, Sansa and Lady Brienne.. add in Jon Snow and Jamie Lannister and Little Finger.... what a weird collection of people who might be allies.

In the trailer for next week, the clips of Arya show snow, so perhaps something happened to get her to change direction and go north.

I could have used a one hour recap episode prior to the start of the new season. I have the general idea of everyone's storyline down, but there's some moving parts that are hazy.

I could have used a one hour recap episode prior to the start of the new season. I have the general idea of everyone's storyline down, but there's some moving parts that are hazy.

That's why they run the prior season leading up to the season premiere. :)

A lot of people use one of the GOT fan sites for the exact thing you describe. I admit I've done it a few times as well.

On a different note, it's interesting to see that they've finally reached into the Beric Dondarrion story line, in earnest. The real question is, "will there soon be a Catlin Stark sighting?"

Reactions: RC1978
That's why they run the prior season leading up to the season premiere. :)

A lot of people use one of the GOT fan sites for the exact thing you describe. I admit I've done it a few times as well.

On a different note, it's interesting to see that they've finally reached into the Beric Dondarrion story line, in earnest. The real question is, "will there soon be a Catlin Stark sighting?"

It has been confirmed that it is not happening as that story-line was drop from the show.

Arya showed shes human when sitting with lanister men. she saw them differently for sure as they discussed their families and the like. Perhaps she turns back and this was the catalyst as the previews show her with Jon?

Last edited:
Arya showed shes human when sitting with lanister men. she saw them differently for sure as they discussed their families and the like. Perhaps she turns back and this was the catalyst as the previews show her with Jon?
Do the previews show her with Jon? I remember Jon and Dany.

My assumption on that was simple... she just died at childbirth... and Tyrion happened to be the child.

Since Jamie was a Kings Guard for a Targaryen.. maybe you're right and his mother was Targaryen... we know the Lannister house became very strong supplanting Castameer House in their Westerlands (Rains of Castameer song). Perhaps that was with the help of Targaryen support.

From this Wiki entry on Lady Joana Lannister... based on canon...

- Tyrions mother did die in childbirth
- she was a Lannister.. cousin to her husband Tywin "I died on the john with an arrow in my gut" Lannister
- she may have had an affair years earlier with Aerys Targaryen (who would become the Mad King).. but that was before marrying Tywin and the twins Jamie and Cersie are his...
- but the timing of a tournament to homor Aerys is about the right timing for her to have renewed her affair with Aerys and gotten pregnant with Tyrion... who "killed her" in childbirth.

Major Spoilers, from a nerdy book reader (if I'm right):

• Tyrion, John and Daenery's parents all died in childbirth. That is telling that they are possible dragon riders. I think Tyrion's father is King Aerys and he is a Lannister because his mother was a (Tywin's cousin) Lannister, which is the only reason Tywin had any affection to him. But would not let him inherit Casterly Rock because he wasn't a male son of his, only his 2nd cousin.
  • I actually believe that Jon Snow is R+L=J. Brought up a bastard but really the true King. I think there is a flip side though!
  • I also believe that Ned+Ashara Dayne=Danerys. Brought ups as a princess, but really a bastard child. I think Ned conceived her with Ashara on or about the time of the Tower of Joy. Hence he had a love affair with Ashara before he was bound to marry Catleyn, and that's how he found out where his sister was from Ashara, whose brother was guarding them. He dishonored Cat, by having Danerys with Ashara, and could not bring a purple eyed silver haired child home. So he brought Jon Snow home claiming as his own, and sent Danerys off somewhere, and that's why he quit as hand of the king when Robert wanted her dead. I also think from the way Viserys speaks of her and how he says the bloodline must remain pure, but doesn't care about her at all, makes me think he knows she's not a real Targaryen. Although in the books the Daynes, including her mother have purple eyes, and silver blond hair runs in their line. They aren't Valeryian, but supposivly share common ancestors before Valyeria and the first men.
  • I think Jamie Lannister is Azhor Ahai, and will save the day and defeat the Night King with Lightbringer. His golden hand being the fire. It will be a true redeption for him from the first episode. He'll kill Cersei probablly fulfilling the valonquor and azor ahai prophecy because she kills Brienne who he respects. Then in turn I think Arya will kill Jamie, making us all really sad. Just things I think I've picked up, not sure if show goes same route, Jojen Reed's hand on fire when he said you'll know when it's over is what made me think it is Jamie. He's only one who has a lover who he can kill on show. He was tempered himself in water in bath with Brienne during his confession and he was tempered in a lion when he let Tyrion go and he killed Tywin. Tempering himself a final time in his lover (nisa nisa) would be Cersei when she does something so awful to him, and I can only think that would be killing Brienne, or burnin the whole city.

Last edited:
Reactions: gef21 and RU5781
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT