ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Go get a physical

mikebal9

All American
Oct 15, 2005
Bound Brook
This one is way OT, but I don't care because it could save a life. First, I'll tell my story.
On Thursday of last week, I took a personal day and went to medemerge to get my prescriptions refilled. They require me to get bloodwork every 3 months to refill, which, until now, I've found to be a real inconvenience and totally unnecessary. Well, this past Thursday, everything was going fine until the PA listened to my breathing, as she always does. Nothing was wrong. She asked me a series of questions, as she always does. One was, "Do you ever experience shortness of breath?" I answered, "Actually, yes. Ever since covid, I get slightly winded even going up stairs. I need one extra breath when I reach the top. When I play hockey, I'm exceptionally gassed after a shift." In my mind, I've just let myself gain a few pounds and adding in covid, I figured I was just out of shape.
She decided to do some tests, and thank God she did. I was annoyed as she ran me through a few oxygen tests. My level was 99%, which is exceptional. Then I stood up and walked down the hall. It dropped to 77. Apparently, this is not good. After 3 hours in medemerge, I was sent to the ER for a CTA. I spent about 6 hours in the ER before the doctor came back to tell me that I have a pulmonary embolism. Yes, I'm 43, very active, and had almost no symptoms, and untreated, I would have had a 30% chance of dying. I spent Thursday through Sunday in the hospital and as of Monday, I'm back at work and feeling incredibly grateful that the PA decided she didn't like what she heard in my answer to a seemingly innocuous question. I am on blood thinner (Eliquis) and I'm told that in 3-6 months, the clot will be gone and I'll be back to 100%.
So go get checked. Even if you feel good. Even if you're young. If you feel anything strange, don't assume it's nothing. If you've had covid, be even more vigilant. It's possible that I'm going to live only because of a routine check-up. If this helps one other person do the same, I'll feel like it was worth it. God bless.

Wow. Thanks for sharing and I'll second that notion because of my personal experience. I'm 45 and mentioned something to my doctor at my annual physical. In addition to a colonoscopy (see that thread, it's a hoot), a gastroenterologist sent me for an abdominal ultrasound, just to make sure. While nothing showed up related to what I originally described, they did find something else that will require some surgery now, but was most likely caught before it developed into something much, much worse down the road. The upside is that I'm taking away the chance of telling my daughters in their teens or twenties that their father has a rare and aggressive form of cancer.

Bottom line. You know your body the best. If you think something is off, see a doctor and say something.

This one is way OT, but I don't care because it could save a life. First, I'll tell my story.
On Thursday of last week, I took a personal day and went to medemerge to get my prescriptions refilled. They require me to get bloodwork every 3 months to refill, which, until now, I've found to be a real inconvenience and totally unnecessary. Well, this past Thursday, everything was going fine until the PA listened to my breathing, as she always does. Nothing was wrong. She asked me a series of questions, as she always does. One was, "Do you ever experience shortness of breath?" I answered, "Actually, yes. Ever since covid, I get slightly winded even going up stairs. I need one extra breath when I reach the top. When I play hockey, I'm exceptionally gassed after a shift." In my mind, I've just let myself gain a few pounds and adding in covid, I figured I was just out of shape.
She decided to do some tests, and thank God she did. I was annoyed as she ran me through a few oxygen tests. My level was 99%, which is exceptional. Then I stood up and walked down the hall. It dropped to 77. Apparently, this is not good. After 3 hours in medemerge, I was sent to the ER for a CTA. I spent about 6 hours in the ER before the doctor came back to tell me that I have a pulmonary embolism. Yes, I'm 43, very active, and had almost no symptoms, and untreated, I would have had a 30% chance of dying. I spent Thursday through Sunday in the hospital and as of Monday, I'm back at work and feeling incredibly grateful that the PA decided she didn't like what she heard in my answer to a seemingly innocuous question. I am on blood thinner (Eliquis) and I'm told that in 3-6 months, the clot will be gone and I'll be back to 100%.
So go get checked. Even if you feel good. Even if you're young. If you feel anything strange, don't assume it's nothing. If you've had covid, be even more vigilant. It's possible that I'm going to live only because of a routine check-up. If this helps one other person do the same, I'll feel like it was worth it. God bless.

Very scary. That PA saved your life. Glad you're OK.

Thank you for sharing this!! I just contracted Covid recently and while I don’t share those symptoms no one really knows the long term effects. Could save a life.
I get a physical yearly and have a colonoscopy to schedule as I’m also 45 so better safe than sorry

Reactions: RUTRINI
They are no joke. Had experience with them with my mom and later a friend. Both survived, but it was dicey. Your experience with the doctor was much better than my friend's. The doctor dismissed her breathing issues to being overweight and sent her home. Sweating, shortness of breath and chest pain continued. A friend convinced her to get to the ED asap where she was properly diagnosed and treated before it was too late.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Public service. Kudus to you for doing the right thing twice. First, getting checked and secondly telling your story.
We all succumb to the usually slow process of changes over time. Most are simply aging and being out of shape, but then are situations like yours that don't come out until the autopsy.

Glad they caught it. I witnessed an on the ice saving of a guy (heart attack) during a beer league game about three years ago complete with defibrillator. Get to know which beer leaguers are also EMTs…

Ambulance arrived relatively quickly but they would have been too late.

Glad they caught it. I witnessed an on the ice saving of a guy (heart attack) during a beer league game about three years ago complete with defibrillator. Get to know which beer leaguers are also EMTs…

I've got a Linden firefighter on my team. I've already seen him work on a separated shoulder. He'd be my go-to guy.

They are no joke. Had experience with them with my mom and later a friend. Both survived, but it was dicey. Your experience with the doctor was much better than my friend's. The doctor dismissed her breathing issues to being overweight and sent her home. Sweating, shortness of breath and chest pain continued. A friend convinced her to get to the ED asap where she was properly diagnosed and treated before it was too late.
Yes, I'l lbe sending her and the nurse a heartfelt thank you and a small gift. It's entirely possible that I owe them my life.

Wow, what a great story and happy for you. Two points.

During the pandemic way too many people (and doctors and hospitals) are not getting their necessary checkups and/or treatments for non-covid related issues, and this is a huge problem. Have a family member who will not go to see the oncologist because of fear of covid. We have talked until we are blue in the face, imploring this person to go, but no dice.

PAs and NPs seems to be the future of frontline health care. My son is in a 6 year PA program, and more and more we are seeing PAs instead of MDs for visits at our "doctors'" offices and medemerge-type of places. My annual cancer checkup (7.5 years clean!) is with a PA, and she is fantastically thorough in her approach.

EDIT- oh, by the way, my cancer 7 years ago was detected only because I made a trip to the ER for another problem, and a CT scan of my abdomen revealed a tumor on my kidney. Somebody/somewhere was looking out for me and caused me to go to that ER in the middle of nowhere Arizona.

Scary stuff. One of my teammates had a heart attack a few years ago and when the police got there before the EMTs, they kept insisting that he wasn't having a heart attack and was most likely just dealing with some indigestion. Turned out he had a full blockage of his left anterior descending artery, also known as a "widowmaker," and was very lucky to have survived. If he had listened to the cops, he most likely would have died that night.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Scary stuff. One of my teammates had a heart attack a few years ago and when the police got there before the EMTs, they kept insisting that he wasn't having a heart attack and was most likely just dealing with some indigestion. Turned out he had a full blockage of his left anterior descending artery, also known as a "widowmaker," and was very lucky to have survived. If he had listened to the cops, he most likely would have died that night.
It's criminal that most health insurance will not pay for a relatively cheap diagnostic test-a coronary artery calcium (CAC) scan. It runs from $59-99, and I was able to get one paid for/covered because of my high cholesterol and my primary care doctor ordered it. The test showed zero calcification. Depending on the doctor/patient, this is fantastic news, or at a minimum pretty good news with a warning to keep an eye on any progression in about 5 years or so.

The thing about cholesterol and lipid management, is that so many MDs focus on LDL and total cholesterol. The real useful data, however, is in measurement of apoB and L(p)a. Again, one has to pay extra $$ to have these measured, but it is well worth it IMO.

Geez Mike , that's a crazy story and so glad you found out and have a great go forward plan.

Good luck - glad they were able to identify the issue!

It's criminal that most health insurance will not pay for a relatively cheap diagnostic test-a coronary artery calcium (CAC) scan. It runs from $59-99, and I was able to get one paid for/covered because of my high cholesterol and my primary care doctor ordered it. The test showed zero calcification. Depending on the doctor/patient, this is fantastic news, or at a minimum pretty good news with a warning to keep an eye on any progression in about 5 years or so.

The thing about cholesterol and lipid management, is that so many MDs focus on LDL and total cholesterol. The real useful data, however, is in measurement of apoB and L(p)a. Again, one has to pay extra $$ to have these measured, but it is well worth it IMO.
I can’t agree with this more! Should be standard. This is the very definition of penny wise and pound foolish. Imagine how many potential serious cardiac events you could avoid in people.

Nigh on 20 years ago I started having unexplained bouts of SOB (shortness of breath) and chest pain. My GP sent me to the hospital to be admitted for a cardio workup and subsequent cath after noting a single O2 sat in the 70s - all proved unremarkable. I was then sent to Deborah for a full pulmonary workup, where a VQ scan showed traces of a prior PE. Their conclusion was that the heparin administered on admission to RWJH the previous week had resolved the clot.

Prior to the event I had been on an extended business trip through Europe and logged about 10,000 flight miles in 10 days. The advice indicating moderate exercise on long flights is something to take seriously.

Nigh on 20 years ago I started having unexplained bouts of SOB (shortness of breath) and chest pain. My GP sent me to the hospital to be admitted for a cardio workup and subsequent cath after noting a single O2 sat in the 70s - all proved unremarkable. I was then sent to Deborah for a full pulmonary workup, where a VQ scan showed traces of a prior PE. Their conclusion was that the heparin administered on admission to RWJH the previous week had resolved the clot.

Prior to the event I had been on an extended business trip through Europe and logged about 10,000 flight miles in 10 days. The advice indicating moderate exercise on long flights is something to take seriously.
This is a very good point. Stay hydrated and active on these long flights. This is another significant cause of DVT and PE. Not trying to scare anyone, but there are simple things you can do to avoid these issues.

I just returned from visiting my wife in the hospital after her double bypass on Monday.
Back in 2007 I had quadruple bypass and both of us have been going to our cardiologist every 4 months since then. We always take ECHO tests and wear heart monitors about once a year. Last month she had a Nuclear Stress test done and nothing was found. She has a history of heart failure in her family with the death of her brother prompting us both to see a cardiologist. That's when I was found to need the bypass.
Anyway, last month we were walking from the APC parking deck to the RAC and we had to stop 3 times. I said to her "are your knees bothering you". She has arthritis in the knees.
She said no she has pain around her shoulders and neck. We went to the game. The next game the same thing happened and I asked when did this happen since you just had a nuclear stress test a few weeks ago. That's when she told me it's been happening for a year.
WHAT?
The next day I was scheduled for my ECHO so when there I saw our Cardiologist and he said "I want to see her tomorrow morning". The next morning he checked her out and said she should have an Angiogram done since no other tests are totally conclusive. So we scheduled the test for last Wednesday. Well they found 3 blocked arteries. The main one was blocked 95% and one other was blocked 99%. The third was only around 30%. So this past Monday morning she had a double bypass and is now recovering in the Cardiothoracic Unit.
So remember this "no other tests are totally conclusive".
I also look at it this way. If we weren't going to the games that triggered the symptom she
may not be alive right now.

I just returned from visiting my wife in the hospital after her double bypass on Monday.
Back in 2007 I had quadruple bypass and both of us have been going to our cardiologist every 4 months since then. We always take ECHO tests and wear heart monitors about once a year. Last month she had a Nuclear Stress test done and nothing was found. She has a history of heart failure in her family with the death of her brother prompting us both to see a cardiologist. That's when I was found to need the bypass.
Anyway, last month we were walking from the APC parking deck to the RAC and we had to stop 3 times. I said to her "are your knees bothering you". She has arthritis in the knees.
She said no she has pain around her shoulders and neck. We went to the game. The next game the same thing happened and I asked when did this happen since you just had a nuclear stress test a few weeks ago. That's when she told me it's been happening for a year.
WHAT?
The next day I was scheduled for my ECHO so when there I saw our Cardiologist and he said "I want to see her tomorrow morning". The next morning he checked her out and said she should have an Angiogram done since no other tests are totally conclusive. So we scheduled the test for last Wednesday. Well they found 3 blocked arteries. The main one was blocked 95% and one other was blocked 99%. The third was only around 30%. So this past Monday morning she had a double bypass and is now recovering in the Cardiothoracic Unit.
So remember this "no other tests are totally conclusive".
I also look at it this way. If we weren't going to the games that triggered the symptom she
may not be alive right now.
Wow, that is a great story and outcome. Quite amazing that your wife was walking around and feeling those symptoms for what sounds like at least one week.

Good advice. I lost a good friend to a PE several years ago. I'm glad your outcome was much better. Happy rebirth day.

Very touching stories by all and I’m grateful all has worked out well for everyone and their loved ones !

I had my first very serious / potentially fatal health scare earlier this year as well and I can empathize with all of the above stories

I had an ER doctor at a mediocre hospital misdiagnose my situation and a doctors office who wouldn’t see me because of the Covid protocols - though what I had was not Covid

Anyways, you know your body and if something is not right, get checked out immediately. Get blood work done because if this had occurred with me, my situation could have been handled much more proactively

Always get annual physicals and always see other specialists such as Cardiologist / Gastroenterologist/ Urologist etc. on a consistent basis.

Also most importantly, you need to be your biggest advocate with doctors etc and if you feel you need to go to an ER, go to a good hospital. I eventually did in my situation when my situation got bad and thank goodness because they tested the hell out of me / diagnosed my ailments / and after 2 long weeks in the hospital - was much better.

Life is too short and many times because of pride or whatever - we shrug off ailments etc - but we all need to take them seriously and seek medical advice proactively as they can save your life.

Hey guys, I'm 3 months out from my health scare, and things are looking good. All follow up tests have been positive so far. I'm still off alcohol, probably for another 3 months. But that's probably a good thing. The stress our MBB team causes would drive me to alcoholism. I'm sitting in the doctor's office now, waiting to have blood drawn.
I have the same nurse who helped save my life. He just returned from 8 weeks of paternity leave and his baby boy is beautiful. He told me that he read the letter I wrote to him just before walking into the delivery room.
If you missed my original post, give it a read. Go get checked out. I feel great and will likely have no life-altering long term effects, only because I had a routine checkup.

Hey guys, I'm 3 months out from my health scare, and things are looking good. All follow up tests have been positive so far. I'm still off alcohol, probably for another 3 months. But that's probably a good thing. The stress our MBB team causes would drive me to alcoholism. I'm sitting in the doctor's office now, waiting to have blood drawn.
I have the same nurse who helped save my life. He just returned from 8 weeks of paternity leave and his baby boy is beautiful. He told me that he read the letter I wrote to him just before walking into the delivery room.
If you missed my original post, give it a read. Go get checked out. I feel great and will likely have no life-altering long term effects, only because I had a routine checkup.
This note really made my day. I don’t really know you(only by screen name and that you also
Know Hafley), but these are the shared stories that put a smile on my face.
Thank you for sharing the original message and glad to hear you are doing well. Here is a wish for health and happiness moving forward.
to be fair, maybe staying away from alcohol altogether is a good thing. I have a friend, beta friend from Rutgers, who is dealing with liver issues from alcohol, and doesn’t drink anymore. I’m not here to preach by any means as I do drink(most socially) and not for me to give advice just an observation.

Reactions: RUScrew85
This note really made my day. I don’t really know you(only by screen name and that you also
Know Hafley), but these are the shared stories that put a smile on my face.
Thank you for sharing the original message and glad to hear you are doing well. Here is a wish for health and happiness moving forward.
to be fair, maybe staying away from alcohol altogether is a good thing. I have a friend, beta friend from Rutgers, who is dealing with liver issues from alcohol, and doesn’t drink anymore. I’m not here to preach by any means as I do drink(most socially) and not for me to give advice just an observation.
I don't disagree. I keep it pretty light outside of football Saturdays. I'm sure my body is loving this 6 month detox.

Reactions: RUBlackout
Everyone should be careful about their diet which will extend their lives. I see that plenty enjoy drinking and eating red meat on this board with the postings. I may have a medical problem due to my drinking over the years. Drinking doesn’t always affect you when you are younger but can cause the problem later in life in your 60-70. Same with eating red meat and other harmful food. Eating out doesn’t help. I might eat a petite steak once every two months.

Studies have shown that one factor in married men living longer than single men is that married men more regularly schedule routine medical appointments.
I grew up in a poor family and we didn’t see the doctor regularly like most other upper and middle class. I believe that as we grew older, not being familiar with seeing a doctor, we tend to avoid going to a doctor. Men are more prone to avoid doctors and I now know of several men that passed away due to the health and didn’t see their doctor or avoided their advice.

I’d also go to a cardiologist annually and find a doctor that will run a full panel of blood work every year. Just by doing this will catch many conditions well before it’s too late.

Going into denial could be your biggest enemy. That’s what I did when I had a heart attack at 57. You know bad stuff only happens to other people. Like the dope I am I finally decided to have this pressure in my chest checked out but since I really couldn’t be having a heart attack I decided to drive myself to the hospital. Calling 911 is only for people who are actually having an emergency, not me of course. Besides driving myself would be quicker. (Wrong - the ambulance can blow all the lights and they can start working on you on the way to the hospital). As other posters have pointed out - YOU know your body and YOU will know something is wrong so get it checked out.

Studies have shown that one factor in married men living longer than single men is that married men more regularly schedule routine medical appointments.
I don’t disagree here. My dad died of a heart attack at age 45 when I was 4 years old. My mom had one when I was in college but did live another 20 years thankfully.
I got married at 35 and wife made me go to cardiologist when I hit 40. No one likes doctors and they are aggressive to put you on pills based on family history but I am now just 1 year away from outliving my dad and I probably would not be saying this if not for my wife. Also see endocrinologist quarterly and do labs to be on top of stuff. Do yourself a favor and at least hit the doctor once a year.

I grew up in a poor family and we didn’t see the doctor regularly like most other upper and middle class. I believe that as we grew older, not being familiar with seeing a doctor, we tend to avoid going to a doctor. Men are more prone to avoid doctors and I now know of several men that passed away due to the health and didn’t see their doctor or avoided their advice.
I know many seniors who avoid going to the doctor, even when they have symptoms that indicate that a doctors appt is necessary.

Is it because they are afraid of getting bad news?

The truth is that many times the health condition can be controlled or reversed as a result of the doctors visit. But by staying away they aggravate the condition and may be likely to become a fatality as a result of it.

It doesn’t make sense but it appears to be human nature for some. Don’t be that guy who avoids doctors visits. Your family will be better off for it.

Reactions: goru1869
I’d also go to a cardiologist annually and find a doctor that will run a full panel of blood work every year. Just by doing this will catch many conditions well before it’s too late.
Or it helps flag something that is not a problem yet, but getting close to one. Gives you time to turn things around. I am thinking pre-diabetic indicators.

I know many seniors who avoid going to the doctor, even when they have symptoms that indicate that a doctors appt is necessary.

Is it because they are afraid of getting bad news?

The truth is that many times the health condition can be controlled or reversed as a result of the doctors visit. But by staying away they aggravate the condition and may be likely to become a fatality as a result of it.

It doesn’t make sense but it appears to be human nature for some. Don’t be that guy who avoids doctors visits. Your family will be better off for it.

Yeah men are known for ignoring the signs of illness - either it's stubbornness or refusal to seek help or fear of bad news.

I went to my first since pre pandemic...let's just say the only ones that had fun during COVID were my triglycerides.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT