ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Go get a physical

Remember, he's saying Go Get A Physical, not Get Physical!

Studies have shown that one factor in married men living longer than single men is that married men more regularly schedule routine medical appointments.
Married men will do anything to get out of the house.
I don’t disagree here. My dad died of a heart attack at age 45 when I was 4 years old. My mom had one when I was in college but did live another 20 years thankfully.
I got married at 35 and wife made me go to cardiologist when I hit 40. No one likes doctors and they are aggressive to put you on pills based on family history but I am now just 1 year away from outliving my dad and I probably would not be saying this if not for my wife. Also see endocrinologist quarterly and do labs to be on top of stuff. Do yourself a favor and at least hit the doctor once a year.
Your family history is a big risk factor for all those under your parent's family tree (and laterally to their sibling's family trees) and you are doing the right thing. If you have any siblings and you/they have children, all should be monitored regularly when appropriate The older you are, the more frequent heart disease occurs. But unfortunately it can (and does) happen at younger ages, as you noted. Also, there is an uptick in heart attack/heart failure rates in the younger subsets which appears to be closely related to some post covid.

Reactions: MulletCork
Married men will do anything to get out of the house.

Your family history is a big risk factor for all those under your parent's family tree (and laterally to their sibling's family trees) and you are doing the right thing. If you have any siblings and you/they have children, all should be monitored regularly when appropriate The older you are, the more frequent heart disease occurs. But unfortunately it can (and does) happen at younger ages, as you noted. Also, there is an uptick in heart attack/heart failure rates in the younger subsets which appears to be closely related to some post covid.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I know I was doing the right thing but sometimes it takes a wife to steer you there. I was running 5 miles a day when I first saw the cardiologist. He was like why are you here?
Family history is something else. I made my sister go too. I had to get my hip replaced at 45 just now and the clearance appointments and labs to do before that were nuts.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Or it helps flag something that is not a problem yet, but getting close to one. Gives you time to turn things around. I am thinking pre-diabetic indicators.
Exactly. There are a ton of things you can monitor and catch early like cholesterol and other heart health indicators, thyroid health, white blood cell count, vitamin levels (e.g. vitamin D), etc.

Reactions: goru1869
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT