ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Honda Accord Thread

RUSK97

Heisman Winner
Dec 28, 2007
CNJ
Just because I'm tired of it showing up in every other thread. But seriously, why would anyone consider buying a used Accord? In the northeastern US particularly, they hold such a coveted spot (EVERY Rutgers fan wants one) that the resale on used Accords are ridiculous. You want to buy a new Accord? Fine. It makes no sense to me to plunk down say 60% MSRP on an off-lease (3yr, 36k) Accord. For the same amount of money you could get so much more for your cash. Just pick a good vehicle that for some reason or another doesn't have the 'label'.

I'm getting the new accord hybrid! Can't wait...53mpg :)

It's a joke!

Look, the Honda Accord is the most boring car in the world. It looks boring and drives boring and it is over priced for a commuter car. It does last forever at least. So unless your goal is to drive it for 200,000 boring miles before getting a new one, there is no point in ever buying one.

There was a thread here a long time back about very expensive luxury cars and some poster was trying to decide between them and some idiot suggested buying a Honda Accord. Ever since, everyone here has been making fun of that original poster. That's the joke.

It's a joke!

Look, the Honda Accord is the most boring car in the world. It looks boring and drives boring and it is over priced for a commuter car. It does last forever at least. So unless your goal is to drive it for 200,000 boring miles before getting a new one, there is no point in ever buying one.

There was a thread here a long time back about very expensive luxury cars and some poster was trying to decide between them and some idiot suggested buying a Honda Accord. Ever since, everyone here has been making fun of that original poster. That's the joke.
Don't ask me why, but I actually remember that thread. I realize it's a joke since then, but every time there's a car thread, there are always at least one or two posters who seriously suggest an Accord. What gives?

Nothing wrong with an Accord, I just bought a 2015 EX-L about 6 months ago, LOVE IT! I'm on the highway alot and the lanewatch camera is perhaps the best feature cars have gotten since bluetooth. Not sure if any other manufacturer has that, anyone know?

Reactions: goldb80
Don't ask me why, but I actually remember that thread. I realize it's a joke since then, but every time there's a car thread, there are always at least one or two posters who seriously suggest an Accord. What gives?

It could be those posters work for a Honda Dealer and are trying to make a sale, haha

The Accord is boring - no argument here.

That said, arguably the most dominant car in Formula One history was powered by Honda:
LOGO_McLaren_MP4_4_1988_FrontThreeQuarter.jpg

[edit]: previous picture was mislabelled an MP4/4

Nothing wrong with an Accord, I just bought a 2015 EX-L about 6 months ago, LOVE IT! I'm on the highway alot and the lanewatch camera is perhaps the best feature cars have gotten since bluetooth. Not sure if any other manufacturer has that, anyone know?

All Honda's have that now. You can even get it on the Fit.

Geeze, you people really need to focus on Rutgers Football, because otherwise we're gonna suck!

Focus1.jpg

Reactions: mildone
Even Acura is boring..

I am not saying they are terrible cars or anything.

But it's like getting excited about eating sliced white bread or something. Acura is toasted sliced white bread.

_635_x_383_1999.jpg.ashx

Acura NSX Zinardi Edition

This car graced my wall next to Heidi Klum & Claudia Schiffer (& Michael Jordan, LOL)

Last edited:
Fixed Scourge.

(Wow, Angelfire. I remember logging on AOL and using Webcrawler via Netscape to get there, haha)

Back in 2011 I bypassed the Accord and went right to the Honda Civic Hybrid for my 100 mile per day round trip. It now has 206K on it and runs almost like new. Not exciting to look at or to drive but it gets 45 mpg and goes from point A to B OK with almost no maintenance.

Of course I'll never be able to show up at 4Reals tailgate driving it but those are some of the sacrifices we choose to make in life. LOL.

Reactions: RUPete
It's a joke!

The funnier joke is making the Honda Accord suggestion to people that come on a football message board with a list of four or five cars - like anyone here has actually owned all five cars, in their current generation and spec. In the time you spent writing out your question, you could have actually found a series of reviews on a legitimate car site or blog, from people that have actually gotten hands-on with the cars. You could have also gone out and done a test drive or two. Such posters deserve the flat answer of "Honda Accord."

Also, your flat classification of Honda cars as boring is foolish. Honda S2000, Acura NSX (which is officially back), Type R ... Honda has plenty of history designing exciting cars that are infinitely more interesting than any of the uncreative status cars people like to drone on about here. The new Civic Type R is one of the hottest cars of this year.

I guess you probably think the same about Nissan, even though it makes the dollar-for-dollar best high-performance sports car on the road.

Back in 2011 I bypassed the Accord and went right to the Honda Civic Hybrid for my 100 mile per day round trip. It now has 206K on it and runs almost like new. Not exciting to look at or to drive but it gets 45 mpg and goes from point A to B OK with almost no maintenance.

Of course I'll never be able to show up at 4Reals tailgate driving it but those are some of the sacrifices we choose to make in life. LOL.

I've never been to one of 4real's tailgates, but rumor has it they'll allow just about anybody to join in the fun as long as they're not a total douchebag. Once they relax that rule, I'm planning to attend. :D

Reactions: Knightmoves
As far as Acura, just go to their official site and see their small line-up: http://www.acura.com/ and their style.. snoor...
Things are looking more promising in their future vehicles at least. I will give them that.

I have nothing against Honda or Nissan(never even mention them! LOL project much?)

Just because I think that Honda has boring design, doesn't mean they are bad cars. It is just my opinion, many share it and many don't. It's ok.

There is nothing wrong with commuter cars. I am not a car snob by any means. Just giving my opinion, that's all.

People get really touchy about their cars.. geesh.

The Accord is boring - no argument here.

That said, arguably the most dominant car in Formula One history was powered by Honda:
LOGO_McLaren_MP4_4_1988_FrontThreeQuarter.jpg

[edit]: previous picture was mislabelled an MP4/4

Those were crazy exciting years for Mclaren/Honda. They are newly reunited this season (you probably know this) and are having a very rough time of it. Will be interesting to see how they progress over the next couple seasons.

mild: yeah, "McHonda" is definitely taking it on the chin this year. But it's been said that it takes 5 years(!) to fully develop a brand new F1 engine and 2-3 for a chassis. From what I've read, Honda is is being very aggressive in their development cycle and are already in what could be considered year 3.

As far as Acura, just go to their official site and see their small line-up: http://www.acura.com/ and their style.. snoor...
Things are looking more promising in their future vehicles at least. I will give them that.

I have nothing against Honda or Nissan(never even mention them! LOL project much?)

Just because I think that Honda has boring design, doesn't mean they are bad cars. It is just my opinion, many share it and many don't. It's ok.

There is nothing wrong with commuter cars. I am not a car snob by any means. Just giving my opinion, that's all.

People get really touchy about their cars.. geesh.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but some opinions are built on inaccurate information, rendering them kind of foolish. I wasn't really talking about commuter cars; I was talking about performance sports cars, which Honda/Acura have a history of and are in the process of revamping. So maybe your opinion is just outdated.

The NSX was Japan's second "supercar" and was one of the defining sports cars of the 90s. It's now officially back, along with a couple of other potent Honda sports cars. Honda designed the Civic Type R as a "race car for the road" - does that sound like a boring rush-hour mobile?

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but some opinions are built on inaccurate information, rendering them kind of foolish. I wasn't really talking about commuter cars; I was talking about performance sports cars, which Honda/Acura have a history of and are in the process of revamping. So maybe your opinion is just outdated.

The NSX was Japan's second "supercar" and was one of the defining sports cars of the 90s. It's now officially back, along with a couple of other potent Honda sports cars. Honda designed the Civic Type R as a "race car for the road" - does that sound like a boring rush-hour mobile?

Dude, Honda makes break dancing robots too, but the the hell does that got to do with the Accord? Isn't that what this thread is about?

_635_x_383_1999.jpg.ashx

Acura NSX Zinardi Edition

This car graced my wall next to Heidi Klum & Claudia Schiffer (& Michael Jordan, LOL)

one of the most "perfect" cars ever built. stunningly beautiful and unrivaled performance. i'd love to find a mint condition one for a mid-life crisis car 10 years from now

one of the most "perfect" cars ever built. stunningly beautiful and unrivaled performance. i'd love to find a mint condition one for a mid-life crisis car 10 years from now

You'd have to be totally in love with its looks for that to work out for you.

0-60 in 5.2 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.7 @ 94 mph, top speed of 162 mph.

Those were supercar numbers in the 90s. Now they're fairly typical of any performance-oriented car, including most sports sedans.

Dude, Honda makes break dancing robots too, but the the hell does that got to do with the Accord? Isn't that what this thread is about?

Oh, sorry, I thought someone expanded the conversation, saying something to the effect of

"Even Acura is boring..

But it's like getting excited about eating sliced white bread or something. Acura is toasted sliced white bread."

Oh, sorry, I thought someone expanded the conversation, saying something to the effect of

"Even Acura is boring..

But it's like getting excited about eating sliced white bread or something. Acura is toasted sliced white bread."

Personally, I've always like the TL/TLX. It's never on my short list for the simple reason that, for some reason, Acura doesn't believe in folding back seats. Same-same with Infinity and the G series. Great cars. They should tweak the design so that they don't need the structural steel behind the back seats.

You'd have to be totally in love with its looks for that to work out for you.

0-60 in 5.2 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.7 @ 94 mph, top speed of 162 mph.

Those were supercar numbers in the 90s. Now they're fairly typical of any performance-oriented car, including most sports sedans.
Completely agree RU4Real. NSX to me was one of the worst (from a exterior style point of view) knockoffs. It looked like someone took a Ferrari F40, rubbed a modest amount of ugly powder on it and out came the NSX. Not saying it's ugly, but it clearly emulated the Modena style in a less flattering fashion.

Completely agree RU4Real. NSX to me was one of the worst (from a exterior style point of view) knockoffs. It looked like someone took a Ferrari F40, rubbed a modest amount of ugly powder on it and out came the NSX. Not saying it's ugly, but it clearly emulated the Modena style in a less flattering fashion.

I'll say it was ugly. Never liked the original. I think the upcoming NSX looks a lot better though:

NSX-Exterior-5.jpg

The new one is, to me, "okay".

What I don't clearly understand is how many NSXs Honda thinks they can sell given the fact that GTR sales have always struggled - and the GTR is one of the fastest cars in the world and is priced $50k below the expected price of the NSX.

RUSK: I would say their inspiration was more Prelude than Modena:
sdc10116b.jpg

BTW: I apologize for hijacking the thread which was supposed to be a discussion about the Accord.

"Even Acura is boring..

I was referring to their looks, they look very similar to each other. You can like whatever you want, it's ok.

The new one is, to me, "okay".

What I don't clearly understand is how many NSXs Honda thinks they can sell given the fact that GTR sales have always struggled - and the GTR is one of the fastest cars in the world and is priced $50k below the expected price of the NSX.

The GTR is a mind blowing example of engineering in a relatively sleeper form and is no doubt one of the greatest deals to be found on what amounts to a super car. (I think the latest Z06 is probably another amazingly good deal and I'm going to give it a hard look along with the Cayman before deciding).

The thing about the GTR is that it's so much of a sleeper that I think it hurts itself in sales. I bet 99/100 people wouldn't even recognize a GTR driving by (whereas my youngest kid and I would start drooling). A lot of people buy these kinds of cars because of the status it conveys. They don't want a sleeper no matter the performance.

I think, however, that the NSX, if it take the form shown in the prototype above, is more likely to market itself better simply because it looks the part.

RUSK: I would say their inspiration was more Prelude than Modena:
sdc10116b.jpg

BTW: I apologize for hijacking the thread which was supposed to be a discussion about the Accord.
Miketd1...ouch. I agree, but ouch.

People should hold out for the latest version of this best seller:

Yugo.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT