ADVERTISEMENT

OT: If it's called Taylor Ham, why doesn't it say "Taylor Ham" anywhere on the label

What do you call Pork Roll?

• Pork Roll

• I don't know how to read

Results are only viewable after voting.
"Any true jersey person calls it Taylor ham"

Any true BENNY calls it Taylor ham. They do that to make it easier for locals to spot them.

Reactions: mal359
"Any true jersey person calls it Taylor ham"

Any true BENNY calls it Taylor ham. They do that to make it easier for locals to spot them.
[roll]
Yea and Subs should be called hoagies.:chairshot:

I'm trying to figure out what "Taylor Ham" is. But Pork Roll is delicious. Here are some pictures to help you find it in the supermarket:

20130713-pork-roll-rachel-01.jpg

3850275413_5bfc0c981b.jpg

Case_bag.JPG

3Pw7olsbfn6nrkA85OX8_original.jpg

shoprite-pork-roll-mild-45897.jpg

12-6oz-THICK-Sliced-Taylor-Pork-Roll.jpg

Grew up calling it Taylor Ham, because that's what my father called it. He grew up in South Orange. That's also why the name "sloppy joe" conjures images of a triple decker sandwich, not some ground beef and sauce concoction.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Where do some of you people come up with this crap? More people call it pork roll everywhere in NJ than those that call it Taylor ham.

------WRONG

The linked article defines which areas of NJ call it one name or the other. Assigning Somerset Middlesex, Warren and Monnmouth populations as 50:50 (as the map shows) and all the northern counties (Union, Hudson Essex, Sussex, Morris, Passaic, bergen) as 100% for Taylor ham..... the total population rollup reveals that 56% of the NJ population call it Taylor ham... and 44% call it the wrong name . The total area of NJ that may refer to it as Pork Roll may be larger.... but the majority of the population center of NJ call it Taylor Ham... the name given to it by it's creator.

ham.htmlhttp://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/05/map-pork-roll-vs-taylor-ham.html
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/05/map-pork-roll-vs-taylor-ham.html

------WRONG

The linked article defines which areas of NJ call it one name or the other. Assigning Somerset Middlesex, Warren and Monnmouth populations as 50:50 (as the map shows) and all the northern counties (Union, Hudson Essex, Sussex, Morris, Passaic, bergen) as 100% for Taylor ham..... the total population rollup reveals that 56% of the NJ population call it Taylor ham... and 44% call it the wrong name . The total area of NJ that may refer to it as Pork Roll may be larger.... but the majority of the population center of NJ call it Taylor Ham... the name given to it by it's creator.

ham.htmlhttp://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/05/map-pork-roll-vs-taylor-ham.html
Oh jeeze. You quoting an NJ.com article. FAIL

Grew up calling it Taylor Ham, because that's what my father called it. He grew up in South Orange. That's also why the name "sloppy joe" conjures images of a triple decker sandwich, not some ground beef and sauce concoction.
Town Hall Deli [banana]
South Jersey mistakenly calls it pork roll and probably calls that ground-beef garbage sloppy joes.:mad:

Town Hall Deli [banana]
South Jersey mistakenly calls it pork roll and probably calls that ground-beef garbage sloppy joes.:mad:
North Jersey, Central Jersey and South Jersey call it Pork Roll. Even all that make it call it Pork Roll including Taylor. Just a stupid stance by so few.

Not only is Taylor ham more popular, as cited above, it sounds better. Pork roll brings about explicit images of ground up lips and as$holes smushed into a log and covered in shrink wrap. That may be what it is, but doesn't mean you want the image when eating.

It's why they don't call hot dogs "meat rods" or chicken nuggets "poultry wads".

Not only is Taylor ham more popular, as cited above, it sounds better. Pork roll brings about explicit images of ground up lips and as$holes smushed into a log and covered in shrink wrap. That may be what it is, but doesn't mean you want the image when eating.

It's why they don't call hot dogs "meat rods" or chicken nuggets "poultry wads".
Please stop these dumb defense of your limited view. The Taylor company call it Pork Roll. Silly that you think it should be called something they don't even use.
There are very few places to get a Taylor Ham, egg and cheese. There are thousands of places to get a pork roll, egg and and cheese.

Dumb defense? GTFO. It was called Taylor ham to begin with, and many, many people still call it that. Oscar Meyer doesn't specifically put "frankfurters" on a package of dogs; is that incorrect too?

Call it pork roll if you can stomach it, but don't act like it's more technically accurate for some bullshit reason. Both are clearly acceptable, so it's really preference. Now go gnaw some meat logs and beef-smush patties for Memorial Day dinner.

Dumb defense? GTFO. It was called Taylor ham to begin with, and many, many people still call it that. Oscar Meyer doesn't specifically put "frankfurters" on a package of dogs; is that incorrect too?

Call it pork roll if you can stomach it, but don't act like it's more technically accurate for some bullshit reason. Both are clearly acceptable, so it's really preference. Now go gnaw some meat logs and beef-smush patties for Memorial Day dinner.
Oh god another crazy. The company that is famous for making Pork Roll promotes it as Pork Roll but you're the genius that thinks that the company that actually makes it are wrong. Call Taylor Provision company and ask how they market it.

Please reread. I said, very specifically, both are correct. Seems like you're projecting with your "limited view" nonsense. You're the one declaring one term wrong, even though it was proven in the thread that its historically and popularly accurate.

I grew up with Taylor ham, and when I realized some people call it "pork roll" I continued to call it Taylor ham. Pork roll just sounds disgusting. As long as the guy making your sandwich knows WTF you're talking about, this whole discussion is moot.

Please reread. I said, very specifically, both are correct. Seems like you're projecting with your "limited view" nonsense. You're the one declaring one term wrong, even though it was proven in the thread that its historically and popularly accurate.

I grew up with Taylor ham, and when I realized some people call it "pork roll" I continued to call it Taylor ham. Pork roll just sounds disgusting. As long as the guy making your sandwich knows WTF you're talking about, this whole discussion is moot.
It was never called Taylor Ham. It was called Taylor Prepared Ham. And hasn't been called that by the company that makes it since 1906

And yet, it's been called Taylor ham for over a century.

Time to go sleep 'er off, WhiteBus. It really isn't an important distinction, though it might seem so after a weekend of enjoying your own product [winking]

Please stop these dumb defense of your limited view. The Taylor company call it Pork Roll. Silly that you think it should be called something they don't even use.
There are very few places to get a Taylor Ham, egg and cheese. There are thousands of places to get a pork roll, egg and and cheese.

Here's something to prove Pork Roll people don't get it
From an article:
It’s Called Taylor Ham. Here’s Why.
>All that matters is what John Taylor originally called this product, “Taylor’s Prepared Ham,” or Taylor Ham for short. There was no mention of pork roll for 50 years. The meat was originally called Taylor Ham, and should stay that way to honor John Taylor, a man among men, a hero for the people of New Jersey. It really doesn’t matter what the FDA or USDA says after letting Easy Cheese keep cheese in it’s name.
Taylor Ham, because wtf is Pork Roll?”

“Only commies/terrorists call it Pork Roll.”

“In Bayonne and the rest of the civilized world it’s Taylor Ham.”

“Taylor Ham isn’t even a type of meat. It’s a brand.”

“If someone calls it Pork Roll, they’re probably a Philadelphia sports fan which already shows they’re sub par human anyways.”<
http://www.fitzmagictravels.com/its-called-taylor-ham-heres-why/

Now call it what you will, but calling Taylor Ham pork roll is just plain wrong [sick]

And yet, it's been called Taylor ham for over a century.

Time to go sleep 'er off, WhiteBus. It really isn't an important distinction, though it might seem so after a weekend of enjoying your own product [winking]
Don't argue with me bring your delusional view up with Taylor Provision.

No need. I'll just continue to call it Taylor ham. Along with millions of others.
Ha. Millions? Like the millions of Rutgers fans who would sell out an 85k stadium. Some of you folks have to get from out and see the real world. Send me pictures of they many places that sell Taylor Ham, egg and cheese sandwiches.

Yeah, I guess I should really try getting out of jersey...and crossing the bridge to all of 25 minutes from jersey. That should really round out the rough edges with a cascade of cosmopolitanism.

Reactions: vm7118
Yeah, I guess I should really try getting out of jersey...and crossing the bridge to all of 25 minutes from jersey. That should really round out the rough edges with a cascade of cosmopolitanism.
25 mins from Jersey?? Who the hell are you talking about?

There may be thousands of places that have "pork roll" available... but you are SO WRONG saying there are very few places where you can get a Taylor Ham egg and cheese. In most regions of North Jersey, every breakfast and bagel place call it Taylor ham egg & cheese sandwiches. From Union county to Morris county all up through Hudson and Bergen it's Taylor Ham. Just find some deli's in those areas with online menu's... and check them out to see the preponderance of the use of Taylor ham. And since the bulk of the New Jersey population resides in these areas... it is then obvious that a large portion (more than half) refer to it by it's given name. Just because you live in the region that call it one thing - you make the generalization that there are very few that use the Taylor ham reference. Just flat wrong

I never heard of the stuff until I came to Rutgers. White Rose System in Highland Park had "pork roll" on the menu, and that's what I've called it since.

The system in highland park brings back some great 2-3am memories.

LOL. Love that second one!!

I guess that means there is no Rutgers either

As home to NJ's top universities, Princeton and Rutgers, Central New Jersey has exceptionally intelligent people. That's why we know how to read, and call it "pork roll".

Reactions: MrsScrew
It's colloquialism, that's what makes the language so rich, in my opinion.

I think this simple statement might be the winner of the thread. I think we have too many math and science guys on here. Language isn't black and white, and it often evolves from the ground up. Whether Taylor ham is technically accurate really doesn't matter; it's now a part of the vernacular, just like plenty of other non-perfect terms that have earned common acceptance.

As home to NJ's top universities, Princeton and Rutgers, Central New Jersey has exceptionally intelligent people. That's why we know how to read, and call it "pork roll".
If you think there is a place known as Central Jersey,then these are its official greeters:
6a00d8341c563953ef0134883312c0970c-500wi

It serve Pork Roll as part of the imaginary experience one gets in the land of the delusional

Last edited:
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways? Why are they called buildings when they're already finished? Shouldn't they call them builts? How come when two planes almost crash into each other in mid air, it's called a near miss? Shouldn't that be a near hit? Why are there interminably stupid arguments about whether to call it pork roll or Taylor Ham?

FanuSanu living up to his rep in this thread. I always thought his umm.. lack of logical and rational thought.. was shtick.. but to have it extend into the realm of Taylor Ham vs Pork Roll... hmmmmmm

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT