ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Killing Cecil the Lion

I still think his average patient won't give a crap. He probably has a pic of him and that polar bear in his office. you think people believe he swam across some cold water, camped on ice and then snuck up on it? I'd guess a helicopter either dropped him off or he shot it from the air. Again, I'm not justifying his actions but what he did(unless they can prove he knew about the protected land) wasn't illegal. hell, this wasn't even his first lion.

according to this morning's news, he sent a letter to his patients saying sorry that the office is closed and explaining his side of the story since he DID NOT expose them to his hoppy specifically because of his concern about folks having mixed feelings on the subject..per CNBC Front Page Story by Alexander Smithand Kristen Powers

"In his letter to patients, he attempted to explain to his patients his hobby of hunting large animals for sport.
"As you may have already heard, I have been in the news over the last few days for reasons that have nothing to do with my profession or the care I provide for you," he said. "I want you to know of this situation and my involvement."

He added that "one of my passions outside dentistry is hunting," and said he did not "often talk about hunting with my patients because it can be a divisive and emotionally charged topic."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/walter-palmer-extradition_55b8ce10e4b0a13f9d1ad47d

I wonder how the jail accommodations are like in Zimbabwe. AIDs is epidemic in many parts of Africa and in a jail it must be very catchy don't you think? ...that would be justice a long protracted case of AIDs.

In the late 90s/early 00s the Zimbabwe government systematically murdered or deported nearly every white farmer in the country. His life expectancy in Zimbabwe prison would be measured in minutes.

If you are up for a bizarre read, wiki the history of Rhodesia/Zimbabwe.

In the late 90s/early 00s the Zimbabwe government systematically murdered or deported nearly every white farmer in the country. His life expectancy in Zimbabwe prison would be measured in minutes.

If you are up for a bizarre read, wiki the history of Rhodesia/Zimbabwe.

+1

One of the most farked up countries on Earth. Robert Mugabe is a total nutjob. Zimbabwe was one of the wealthiest countries in Africa. He kicked all the white people off their farms which fed and employed much of the population and replaced them with his cronies. When he lost an election he started murdering opponents. The currency was in such free fall that it had to be carried in wheelbarrows to stores.

Lots of people both white and black fled. It is very sad considering all the arable land and Victoria Falls, the country had a chance to be a rare African success story.

Hunting seems like a lame sport, if you want to call it that. This is especially true when considering majestic animals like lions. Having been on safari in Tanzania, I saw a ton of lions. It doesn't seem to challenging to kill one.

As lame as it is, it wasn't illegal. Also, Cecil died prematurely, but let's remember, lions are lucky to make it 10 years or so in the wild.

As for Kimmel, well choosing to take a stand on the lowest hanging fruit isn't exactly brave.
Kimmel was almost in tears over s lion. But could care less and hasn't even blinked at the gruesome slicing and illegal selling of fetus body parts. The outrage should be on that as Americans instead of one lion.

I'm as Libertarian-minded as one gets but killing for sport (other than for population control like we do with deer/food) is just ridiculous and should not be allowed anywhere in the world.
That's what Hitler thought too

Never hunted anything and my displeasure with cats is almost exclusively rooted in the concept of the litter box. However there is so much evil in this world I am amazed by the outrage over this incident. Am I sad about this cat? No. Do I support the dentist? No. Really don't care either way. Too many other things to be outraged over. If the dentist broke a law, he should be punished. If not, he should be left alone. The world is broken. I would go into that but before you know it, it would just be RutgersMo and I reading this thread over on the CE board. So to all who are mourning the death of this old lion, be strong. Best wishes to Cecil's family during this difficult time.

#DentistsandTheirFamliesLivesMatter

Reactions: Piscataway
Guys a total male genitalia.You must be one to spend 50k to kill an animal. Hope the good ppl of MN put this guy out of business. He can live under a bridge with his bow and arrows

Not at all supportive of what happened, but this has gone overboard. It hasn't even been proven that Palmer did anything illegal as of yet. Yes, it s an odd and immoral hobby IMO, but his guy hired professionals to assist him, and it looks like they were the ones who did something unsavory. This has become a media sh*t storm and is something thousands of other people have done. Hope the media moves on to something a little more 'important' - this should have been a story to raise awareness, but this has become a circus.

In general, I have no problem with hunting/fishing for what you eat, and to control overpopulation as needed. I could even see the sport angle of it, but have no respect for anyone who uses dead bait to lure an animal out of a protective habitat, shines a spotlight on it, then injures it to suffer for 40 hours.

And the media sh*tstorm in this case is warranted, because Palmer had received a felony conviction for illegally hunting a bear in Wisconsin in the past. This is far from his first go-around killing exotic animals, and it's impossible to have sympathy for someone who continues a dangerous habit and then claims ignorance of suspicious circumstances when it went to hell. If he broke a law in Zimbabwe, then prosecution should follow as well.

this guy loves watching the pain of an animal suffer, just what i'd want in a dentist. He would hunt people if it were legal

I think Hunting for sustenance is ok and for population control. I personally don't like big game hunting for sport so you can display heads on your wall. I do not like what Palmer does.

Having said that, I agree with those who say the internet outrage and media persecution of this guy has gone too far. There are far worse outrages in the world.

Having said that, I agree with those who say the internet outrage and media persecution of this guy has gone too far. There are far worse outrages in the world.

Twitter Rage is all the rage these days. It seems to be the cool thing now to overreact and be offended and outraged by every single thing.

To repeat, trophy hunting is horrible and killing endangered animals is horrific, but death threats are once again taking things to far.

Reactions: SkilletHead2
Who would win in a fight: a lion, a polar bear or this dentist?

How about this idea for raising revenue without increasing taxes. Create some state-run hunting compounds and stock them with violent offenders w/multiple convictions. Then allow big game hunters to pay a hefty fee to hunt the criminals.

We can discuss if eating the remains is permitted or not, although it might be crossing the line.

tigershooting1_zpsdcbe8433.jpg

in a show of support ttfp is changing the name of it's sports teams to "The Nittany Cecils".

surprised this hasn't been moved over to the CE Board yet...

Oh, that's right, any topic started here that conforms with the current pc thought is somehow relevant...

Oh, that's right, any topic started here that conforms with the current pc thought is somehow relevant...
How does anything in this thread pertain to political correctness? Maybe you're chasing shadows here a bit?

You're just looking for more action over there. If it wasn't for the threads "moved" over to the Right Wing Circle Jerk board there would be very little traffic in that cesspool of hateful backwardness.

How does anything in this thread pertain to political correctness? Maybe you're chasing shadows here a bit?
you don't think it's ironic that given all the choices for news stories to follow that this is becoming a cause celeb and getting major air time?

Reactions: RutgHoops
You're just looking for more action over there. If it wasn't for the threads "moved" over to the Right Wing Circle Jerk board there would be very little traffic in that cesspool of hateful backwardness.
Interesting take...I hear that a lot from people narrow people who can't compete...

you don't think it's ironic that given all the choices for news stories to follow that this is becoming a cause celeb and getting major air time?
I think it's getting air time because it's generating ratings. Same as anything else.

All this phony outrage. I'd bet most couldn't care less except, once again, it gives people a chance to show how "enlightened" they are. It'll die down in a week while we wait for the media to tell us what we should be upset about next.

I have never hunted and believe what this guy did was pretty disgusting but this hysteria is wayyyyy over the top.

All this phony outrage. I'd bet most couldn't care less except, once again, it gives people a chance to show how "enlightened" they are. It'll die down in a week while we wait for the media to tell us what we should be upset about next.

I have never hunted and believe what this guy did was pretty disgusting but this hysteria is wayyyyy over the top.

If you think the outrage is phony and most couldn't care less, then why do you think what he did was disgusting. I usually don't find actions disgusting if I don't care at all about them.

If you think the outrage is phony and most couldn't care less, then why do you think what he did was disgusting. I usually don't find actions disgusting if I don't care at all about them.

I think he means the over the top outrage. I think everyone, including normal hunters are outrage, but some are really hamming it up on Tweeter, blogs, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT