ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kim Mulkey ignores Brittney Griner

MADHAT1

Hall of Famer
Apr 1, 2003
Seems like Mulkey is staying away from talking about the Griner situation.
When told by a reporter that no one has heard her view on the situation her former star is in, Kim just said you won't.
Guess she has her reasons, but seems mighty cold hearted to me.

Reactions: Scarletwoman
Don't know how to post a tweet, but no defense of Kim Mulkey from other former WBB players throughout the country.

I'm usually relatively liberal, but I'm not inclined to defend Brittney Griner or to try to paint her as an innocent victim either, for several reasons, including reasons from prior to the arrest in Russia. I do agree that the 9 year sentence was harsh though, but unfortunately Russia isn't the USA. Obviously just my opinion, and I do hope Brittney is treated well and is back home sooner.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Mulkey has never come across as someone who truly cares about her players- it all seems to be about her and her only. I get that there's complicated international relations involved, but Mulkey seems to not really care- and different from just being careful about language given the situation. Coach Nicki seems like one of those coaches that at least somewhat cares about people, and if I was a parent, I know which coach I'd want my kid playing for. I'm not saying that Griner didn't do something wrong (which in many cases, would be dealt with a fine and a ban on returning to that country), but unfortunately, that happened at the same time as the whole war crime situation in Ukraine, and so she unfortunately has become a pawn connected to all that.

Reactions: BossNJ
Kim and Griner are not exactly buddy-buddy. In one regard, Kim didn't treat her very well regarding her sexual orientation, or, did what she had to do to keep her contributing on the team.

Of course, it is also true that Brittney could have left Baylor for other parts if she wanted to.

At one time, I didn't much like her, but I started to like her as she settled down, became a solid non-controversial player on the court and represented the USA in the Olympics. I strongly suspect that, under the oligarch's oversight, she probably got away with any minor legal infractions. And this was a minor (in terms of quantity) infraction, definitely for personal use.

Reactions: MADHAT1
I have zero issues with a ”No Comment”. I’m no Mulkey fan, either.
It is what it is.

Reactions: Colerr
I have zero issues with a ”No Comment”. I’m no Mulkey fan, either.
It is what it is.
Understand how you feel, I just think Mulkey could have said a kind word or two , even if refusing to comment about the jailing.
What would be so hard for Kim just to say I hope everything turns out alright for her, but won't comment on the situation.

Reactions: BossNJ and Turtle31
Good for Mulkey…griner made her bed…she’ll have to lie in it for a while. absolutely NO upside for her. Mulkeys priority is LSU.

Griner refused to play for the wnba team in whitey, conservative Indiana but had no issue going to truly and super gay-unfriendly Russia because of money…oh and she broke THEIR laws (however dumb you think their laws are) boo-freakin hoo sunshine.

Good for Mulkey…griner made her bed…she’ll have to lie in it for a while. absolutely NO upside for her. Mulkeys priority is LSU.

Griner refused to play for the wnba team in whitey, conservative Indiana but had no issue going to truly and super gay-unfriendly Russia because of money…oh and she broke THEIR laws (however dumb you think their laws are) boo-freakin hoo sunshine.
understand your point of not being sympathetic because of breaking the law.
I feel an ex coach who was her college coach and recruited Brittany could show some form of caring for a former player they recruited and benefited, career wise, from her play.
But understand once done the relation could end with it and some issues between them could make that coach not care anything about the former player or a situation she was in.
Their relationship might not have been a good one, but conflicts kept under wraps so the program and them wouldn't look bad .
Kim just looks cold hearted towards Griner and maybe is towards others that played under her
in which Mulkey might not approve of the way they act.
For me I';m not a Griner fan and feel she has been given a pass on how she was with an ex partner that required police intervention, but was resolved and both parties move on from it.
That doesn't stop me from feeling compassionate towards her being used as a pawn over her stupidy of bringing a small amount of drugs to Russia and having that become a major drug bust . .
Catch her, give her a small jail time, big fine and deport, don't make it like you caught a major drug suppler smuggling a large amount into the country

As for race being a factor in Brittiny not wanting to play in Indiana, hope that isn't true, but can't say one way or another .
But her not wanting to play there was reportedly because of a law that was passed there that affected her
>Brittney Griner Won't Play in Indiana Because Of Discrimination
WNBA star Brittney Griner says she wouldn't play in Indiana because of the state's Religious Freedom Restoration Act. Among other things, the act allows businesses to refuse service to same-sex couples if LGBT rights violate the company owner's religious beliefs.<

https://www.thesportster.com/entert...nt-play-in-indiana-because-of-discrimination/

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT