ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Little League Parents Effecting Players ...Bush League

Buddy of mine from So. Cal told me about his grandson. In 22 innings the kid has struck out 44 batters and had a 0.00 ERA prior to yesterday.

He is a huge SC supporter and his son in law is a Long Beach State grad. So i joked that his recruitment is down to SC, LBSU or Rutgers and asked if any HS coaches had scouted him. He said Yes...and the championship game for So Cal (or CA...not sure) was yesterday.

Got the results.

Friend said the D let his grandson down and the Umping was the worst he's seen. The players had to be cleared from the field... twice.

I told him IMO that's the "wrong message" ... and wait till next year.

Anyone else having similar issues with umps or refs... this is out of hand.

MO
Trust me, there are ZERO college coaches looking at LL players.

The sadly are. Youth sports gas become a big business. With the increased cost has come an even increased sense of entitlement. Hitting coaches, pitching coaches, Catcher coaches etc etc
Little Johnny goes 0-4 can’t be his fault
Yuppies strike again.

Parents run the gamut in youth sports. A few will tell you what a wonderful impact you are making on their kid both on and off the field. Most you won't hear anything from and some think you stink. It's quite literally impossible to be loved by everyone when there are only so many minutes in a lax or football game and an entire roster to develop/play. I watched one mom follow a fellow coach to the parking lot screaming that he was a racist because her son wasn't the starting QB. This kid was evaluated all season on every metric that goes into the position and was not even in the top 3 in ANY of the areas and we STILL found reps for him at QB in some games. We did that because its freaking Pop Warner so why not? You're welcome you POS.

Last edited:
Reactions: brgRC90
As. Ref in NJ I can tell you there is a serious shortage in refs and it’s the pay as bad as it is we lose about 1/3 of new refs every year. I have had little issues with coaches or parents at the youth level but tTvyhe HS level they are pretty bad.
Part of the reason for the shortage is the organizations themselves who want to keep the pool small. I'm certified by USA swimming to officiate swim meets from judging the strokes during the race, to starter to meet referee. I called the NJ swim officials association for high school swimming. Person quickly said I need to be qualified to officiate and hung up. Well, I am qualified as I stated above. So I called back. Same person. Basically got stonewalled and wouldn't even accept my application. At that point moved on. Later someone explained to me that by adding additional officials you are taking money out of existing officials pockets.

Reactions: rufamily
Next
Not just a yuppie Thing. Its systemic
you are 100% spot on. It's become a business and parents start thinking scholarship at younger and younger ages. it's nuts, I could tell you stories that would blow your mind.

I tell all the parents, 'we're not the Yankees, no one here is playing for the Yankees and no one here is special. I give each kid what they need to become better ballplayers but no one here is special'

once you lay the ground and level set, it's so much easier.

there are a lot of moron coaches that think this is the end all be all. One guy yelled at 13u team 'you're an embarrassment, pathetic, why do we come here'. I shit you not, he also coaches varsity and is 0-4 vs me which burns him up lol

Part of the reason for the shortage is the organizations themselves who want to keep the pool small. I'm certified by USA swimming to officiate swim meets from judging the strokes during the race, to starter to meet referee. I called the NJ swim officials association for high school swimming. Person quickly said I need to be qualified to officiate and hung up. Well, I am qualified as I stated above. So I called back. Same person. Basically got stonewalled and wouldn't even accept my application. At that point moved on. Later someone explained to me that by adding additional officials you are taking money out of existing officials pockets.
That might be more sport-specific, as I don't see it on the baseball/softball side. You do get into politics of who gets "good" assignments, who gets state tournament games, etc. But when it comes to getting in the door, they'd take anyone at this point. Some organizations are even trying to entice new candidates with things like free dues the first year, free equipment, etc. The cost of getting into it is a barrier for some that might otherwise consider it (do you want to shell out $500-$1k before you make a single cent?).

Other big issue is age. Every year, my old HS chapter has more guys retire/die than new guys coming in. And many of the guys coming in are even retirees. Feel like the average age of officials has spiked drastically since I got into it ~20 years ago. Funny enough, I have a friend that gave up baseball and moved on to track as he's in his 70s and can't move like he used to...he said at his age now, he's one of the younger guys working track meets.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubaseball78
That might be more sport-specific, as I don't see it on the baseball/softball side. You do get into politics of who gets "good" assignments, who gets state tournament games, etc. But when it comes to getting in the door, they'd take anyone at this point. Some organizations are even trying to entice new candidates with things like free dues the first year, free equipment, etc. The cost of getting into it is a barrier for some that might otherwise consider it (do you want to shell out $500-$1k before you make a single cent?).

Other big issue is age. Every year, my old HS chapter has more guys retire/die than new guys coming in. And many of the guys coming in are even retirees. Feel like the average age of officials has spiked drastically since I got into it ~20 years ago. Funny enough, I have a friend that gave us baseball and moved on to track as he's in his 70s and can't move like he used to...he said at his age now, he's one of the younger guys working track meets.
I would've thought fewer younger people getting into reffing would be an issue. A lot of similar jobs are suffering: finding lifeguards for pools and beaches is harder and harder. Summer jobs have long gone abroad to find people.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
Just last year (and discussed on these boards) a Staten Island travel baseball coach slugged a 70+ year old umpire in Branchburg in the midst of a blowout and broke his jaw. I don't recall what the perpetrator was sentenced to, but I had heard from second-hand info that the umpire's wife passed shortly after due to all her husband's trauma.
I still umpire and referee basketball, but moved to Illinois in 2023. Parched for all three sports by IHSA. I partnered with the blue that was punched in Branchburg and dealt with the organization that coach represented, not surprising at all. Parents are out of control, don’t know the rules, you’d think ignorance would prevent them for yelling, cursing or abusing umpires, but it doesn’t. I got to girls fast pitch softball tournaments, and I will be the youngest blue there. I am in my latter 50s. Not sure how much longer these leagues and tournaments will exist. Similar to police departments, many people have just said enough is enough. It is a genuine shame.

Buddy of mine from So. Cal told me about his grandson. In 22 innings the kid has struck out 44 batters and had a 0.00 ERA prior to yesterday.

He is a huge SC supporter and his son in law is a Long Beach State grad. So i joked that his recruitment is down to SC, LBSU or Rutgers and asked if any HS coaches had scouted him. He said Yes...and the championship game for So Cal (or CA...not sure) was yesterday.

Got the results.

Friend said the D let his grandson down and the Umping was the worst he's seen. The players had to be cleared from the field... twice.

MO
The wrong message is using “Effecting” instead of “Affecting” in your woeful post.

Reactions: PaKnight
Youth football game on Saturday in South Jersey. 8-10 year old kids (95lb level). Semifinal playoff game, with a 13-6 score and a minute left. A parent actually jumped the fence to come onto the field and confront a referee about the "cheap shots" that he wasn't calling. While being held back, he tried throwing two punches at the ref, and then tried head butting him. Fans of both teams spilled onto the field, a mix of trying to restore order, and pushing/shoving. Game was called.

I'm sure this will get more guys to want to sign up to be an official...who wouldn't want to spend a Saturday dealing with that?

Youth football game on Saturday in South Jersey. 8-10 year old kids (95lb level). Semifinal playoff game, with a 13-6 score and a minute left. A parent actually jumped the fence to come onto the field and confront a referee about the "cheap shots" that he wasn't calling. While being held back, he tried throwing two punches at the ref, and then tried head butting him. Fans of both teams spilled onto the field, a mix of trying to restore order, and pushing/shoving. Game was called.

I'm sure this will get more guys to want to sign up to be an official...who wouldn't want to spend a Saturday dealing with that?
wow?????

not defending the parents, there is no defense however, officiating for football and baseball has really taken a nose dive over the past 5yrs imho.

Could that be because so many experienced officials are packing it in because of the abuse?
totally, no question in my eyes

Every kid who plays baseball should ump younger ages, it's got so many positives

that said, the parents are the real issue. My son's fall team was ranked high in the state in and in PG nationally and natually does the gambit of out of state tournaments. If I told you how many kids are reclassed and playing the birthdate game you'd be blown away. We were at a tournament and my son (new 14s but he's playing 15s going forward) comes up to the plate. Kid on the mound is reclassed and about to turn 16 (their team had 5 such players and from discussion didn't have a single kid at 14) and he's throwing an avg of 84 topping out on the gun at 87. Kids are struggling which is to be expected as they usually only see 77-81. Kids dad is behind the gun with me as I'm watching the at bat and he proceeds to start talking about how no one is hitting his kid or making any decent contact. He then tells me his age, stats, what college he wants to play for etc etc. My son fouls off some pitches, get's 8 throws out of the kid before hitting a solid line drive right to the center fielder. Guy doesn't know it's my son and then says, 'see, this game will be over by 5th to which I respond, 'that's one way to look at it or you can see that kid, who just turned 14, drive your son who is almost 2yrs older to center after eating him for 8 pitches. Either your son needs to learn how to pitch and not just throw or my kid is just that good earlier than I anticipated'
he looked at me and tried to backtrack and I walked away

that is a common occurrence at many of the higher level and invite only tournaments.

parents are delusional, have lofty expectations and truly believe all of their kids are the next Derek Jeter

my favorite is the kid at 5 star who bunts against us to move a runner with no outs and parents go nuts with 'he's a ferarri and you have him playing like a chevette' yup, heard that too

Umpired baseball / softball consistently from age 12 through ~35

offiaiated bball 21-40
offiated fb for 5 years

The only sport I still do is basketball. I never had any aspirations as the BA high school or college official, and it mainly rec and travel for grades K through eight.

And asked more to do with work is very busy now, and I have a child of my own, so I do not want to be away on nights and weekends any longer

I can unequivocally say that parents have gotten exponentially more crazy within the last 10 or 15 years than they've ever been

The other issue is that now everything is on video, so, if the official makes a mistake, there is 900 different ways that they can get called out on it or as before, it was not like that

My daughter plays soccer, and they are always looking for officials, and it is a recreation in the league is super laid-back, and I basically have zero desire to do it, as I am burnt out from nearly 25 years of officiating

It has definitely changed as I was always one of the younger guys, I needed to work to make money. Now, it is a very rare you see somebody younger than me a officiating and I am over 40.

There will be a massive shortage of officials with the current group of guys in their 50s and 60s retire, probably within the next 7 to 10 years

totally, no question in my eyes

Every kid who plays baseball should ump younger ages, it's got so many positives

that said, the parents are the real issue. My son's fall team was ranked high in the state in and in PG nationally and natually does the gambit of out of state tournaments. If I told you how many kids are reclassed and playing the birthdate game you'd be blown away. We were at a tournament and my son (new 14s but he's playing 15s going forward) comes up to the plate. Kid on the mound is reclassed and about to turn 16 (their team had 5 such players and from discussion didn't have a single kid at 14) and he's throwing an avg of 84 topping out on the gun at 87. Kids are struggling which is to be expected as they usually only see 77-81. Kids dad is behind the gun with me as I'm watching the at bat and he proceeds to start talking about how no one is hitting his kid or making any decent contact. He then tells me his age, stats, what college he wants to play for etc etc. My son fouls off some pitches, get's 8 throws out of the kid before hitting a solid line drive right to the center fielder. Guy doesn't know it's my son and then says, 'see, this game will be over by 5th to which I respond, 'that's one way to look at it or you can see that kid, who just turned 14, drive your son who is almost 2yrs older to center after eating him for 8 pitches. Either your son needs to learn how to pitch and not just throw or my kid is just that good earlier than I anticipated'
he looked at me and tried to backtrack and I walked away

that is a common occurrence at many of the higher level and invite only tournaments.

parents are delusional, have lofty expectations and truly believe all of their kids are the next Derek Jeter

my favorite is the kid at 5 star who bunts against us to move a runner with no outs and parents go nuts with 'he's a ferarri and you have him playing like a chevette' yup, heard that too
If it’s done by age how does reclassifying matter? Isn’t U15 U15 regardless of grade?

If it’s done by age how does reclassifying matter? Isn’t U15 U15 regardless of grade?
no, done by grad year the higher you go

perfect game, the Atlanta Showdown etc are all based on graduation year.

reason is due to college scouting etc..

I was going to put him with Litterio now, whom I know well obviously, but we opted for a different place

Last edited:
no, done by grad year the higher you go

perfect game, the Atlanta Showdown etc are all based on graduation year.

reason is due to college scouting etc..

I was going to put him with Litterio now, whom I know well obviously, but we opted for a different place
So it’s not really U…..it’s more class of 29 type stuff. Soccer is by birth year. Not class

So it’s not really U…..it’s more class of 29 type stuff. Soccer is by birth year. Not class
yes but it's not across the board. some tournaments and leagues like usable does by age but many of the tournaments (better and higher level) tournaments have moved to graduation year

my son's middle school team had 2 kids reclassed and that single year really shows in a lot of cases

Reactions: vkj91
yes but it's not across the board. some tournaments and leagues like usable does by age but many of the tournaments (better and higher level) tournaments have moved to graduation year

my son's middle school team had 2 kids reclassed and that single year really shows in a lot of cases
My mom used to work with the wife of a D1 Basketball Head Coach...she openly talked about the fact that they "redshirted" their daughter, holding her back to repeat 8th grade so that she was older than her class, giving her a better chance at a scholarship.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Against kids umping/reffing. Even at very young ages, parents and coaches are way over the top. A 12-yeaar-old kid umping a 10-years-old game. He's gonna get bullied and harangued by parents and coaches. Would not let my kid do it.

My mom used to work with the wife of a D1 Basketball Head Coach...she openly talked about the fact that they "redshirted" their daughter, holding her back to repeat 8th grade so that she was older than her class, giving her a better chance at a scholarship.
the year to do it was covid
the reality is however, kid needs to have ability to even be on that trajectory. I find it amazing that parents would do that thinking at that young and age. it's almost a sickness, just let them play, develop and learn naturally but like all things however, it's hard work, dedication and ability plus a little luck.

I just want my kid to have a great experience in high school, never once has any other thought comei into my mind

we're going hitting in a bit. My son hits with a friend of mine who is one of the coaches at Seton Hall. lots of reps:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Erial_Lion
the year to do it was covid
the reality is however, kid needs to have ability to even be on that trajectory. I find it amazing that parents would do that thinking at that young and age. it's almost a sickness, just let them play, develop and learn naturally but like all things however, it's hard work, dedication and ability plus a little luck.

I just want my kid to have a great experience in high school, never once has any other thought comei into my mind

we're going hitting in a bit. My son hits with a friend of mine who is one of the coaches at Seton Hall. lots of reps:)
I call BS. If it was only about “having fun” in HS you wouldn’t be traveling all over the country, paying for multiple teams, and getting private hitting lessons. You don’t need any of that to be a regular high school baseball player

Curious if this improves with millennial parents. The whole insane parents typically fall into the 40-55 age bracket. People in my generation are acutely aware of the stigma those parents are perpetuating against refs, coaches, and leagues. We also understand the odds our children go pro are minuscule.

Time will tell.

Curious if this improves with millennial parents. The whole insane parents typically fall into the 40-55 age bracket. People in my generation are acutely aware of the stigma those parents are perpetuating against refs, coaches, and leagues. We also understand the odds our children go pro are minuscule.

Time will tell.
I’m gonna go with no. Wen crazy parents since the first day there was a sporting event to play. Has it gotten worse? Maybe but it’s also more broadcasted because of social media. 25 years ago unless you lived in Kentucky you wouldn’t know a Kentucky sad beat up a ref. Now it’s broadcasted worldwide before the guy even gets back home

I call BS. If it was only about “having fun” in HS you wouldn’t be traveling all over the country, paying for multiple teams, and getting private hitting lessons. You don’t need any of that to be a regular high school baseball player
you can call bs all you want, i've not once thought about college as development is not linear and kids views, attitudes toward playing, and the like change. my son's hs will have approx 86 kids try out for freshman team, he had 92 for middle school (middle school lost 3 games in 4yrs). it's a competitive area where the last 3 years, 2 state champions are from the respective high schools. As you know, not every town is created equal. Our area is not quite Toms River when I was there and we all had d1 offers or signed minors but it's competitive for sure where. As an example of the current hs team, many of the kids who don't play as much on the JV/Varsity are still getting offers from decent d2 schools via the showcase circuit.

we take it one day and one season at a time

Time will tell.
interestingly enough, the crazy parents are usually the parents that didn't amount to anything athletically. It's almost as if their own self worth or purpose is manifested in how their kids athletic prowess is perceived or realized. Parent don't get that kids are still growing, always re cordinating, developing more hand/eye and more as they mature and their bodies change. Kids make errors, it's expected but then you hear whispers 'kid sucks, how could you miss that, and more'

awful really and you can tell who is going to be the problem early on

Reactions: Joey Bags
interestingly enough, the crazy parents are usually the parents that didn't amount to anything athletically. It's almost as if their own self worth or purpose is manifested in how their kids athletic prowess is perceived or realized. Parent don't get that kids are still growing, always re cordinating, developing more hand/eye and more as they mature and their bodies change. Kids make errors, it's expected but then you hear whispers 'kid sucks, how could you miss that, and more'

awful really and you can tell who is going to be the problem early on
Agree 100% with this. Played basketball, soccer and golf through HS and the only parent I can ever recall really causing a problem absolutely was living through his son (basketball) and exhibited extreme insecurity.

There's a shortage of refs in most sports because fewer and fewer are finding it worth putting up with the lunatic parents. When there are too few refs, the bad ones get a lot of games, so the knucklehead parents only make the problem worse.
Have a few douchebags parents associated with my daughters HS hoops team I used to be bad 5th & 6th grade but realized it affects her play. The only time I bash refs now are a tourneys when they let you get killed open layups and no call. I pretty much sit there and let her do her thing.

wow?????

not defending the parents, there is no defense however, officiating for football and baseball has really taken a nose dive over the past 5yrs imho.

There's a shortage of refs in most sports because fewer and fewer are finding it worth putting up with the lunatic parents. When there are too few refs, the bad ones get a lot of games, so the knucklehead parents only make the problem worse.
As a ref I can deal with the kids and the coaches but the parents who no nothing about what is going on and yet feel entitled to scream idiotic things at the refs are the issue. I have been and official at every level from youth to HS Playoff games and I have parents follow me out to the parking lot after games. Parent behavior has only gotten worse. Below is a link to an NJ.com article about fan behavior and the need for better site supervision but that is only a small part of it. I know in many sports the retention of officials in the first 3 years is less than 50, most cite poor behavior by parents and coaches.

NJ looks to ban fans

And it's been going downhill for the last 60 years.
competency crisis

lowering standards everywhere seem to be the norm

why?

On parents... I think this whole thing with year-round single sport kids who must make the travel team, who must get a scholarship to teh right school, etc etc.. and when they are only children's.. or the only boy.. pressure on the kids by parents skyrockets and so does pressure on coaches and refs.

Everything is to blame and it is everywhere.

Expectations increase and competency decreasing is a bad combination.. especially where parent competency comes into play.

As a ref I can deal with the kids and the coaches but the parents who no nothing about what is going on and yet feel entitled to scream idiotic things at the refs are the issue. I have been and official at every level from youth to HS Playoff games and I have parents follow me out to the parking lot after games. Parent behavior has only gotten worse. Below is a link to an NJ.com article about fan behavior and the need for better site supervision but that is only a small part of it. I know in many sports the retention of officials in the first 3 years is less than 50, most cite poor behavior by parents and coaches.

NJ looks to ban fans
agree, parents have really gone over the edge

had a parent heckling one of my kids so we had words. long story short, his kid not allowed to play usabl baseball on a perma ban.

that is what needs to happen imho. parent gets ejected, kid removed period.

I think last year a 70yr umpire was knocked out in the parking lot by a parent.

I also think a lot of coaches allow the parents and kids to become unruly and it starts with daddy coaching. I liked to tell all the parents privately when they joined my team/org, 'your kid is not special, none of these kids are playing for the yankees and all of them will have ups and downs. If you don't understand this and act accordingly, please leave and thank you'

zero tolerance for the bs

it has definitely gotten worse over the past 10yrs with zero regard to suggest otherwise.
I also think the expansion of clubs sports teams makes it worse as sports are now competing with other sports for the best officials. Before you could reasonably officiate Football and then Basketball and then Baseball or Lacrosse. But now, there are softball tournaments almost every weekend at the fields by my house. it is a pretty small pool of competent people to officiate and they are spread pretty thin, so what happens is paycheck guys show up at several of these games which makes everyone upset because of both a lack of equity (call it both ways) and a lack of understanding of the rules. Newer Officials struggle with the speed of the game and making calls in the moment especially people who have not played the game before. I would certainly have some issues calling balls and strikes in a baseball game as I have never played baseball.

Reactions: RUTGERS95

Got the results.

MO

Wait, how did this get to criticizing the umpires? And how old is the dude's grandson?

Wait, how did this get to criticizing the umpires? And how old is the dude's grandson?
Certainly not criticizing officials simply stating that newer officials need to be cut a break by crazy parents.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT