ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Loud Motorcycles: Annoying or Get Off My Lawn

Bikers claim they need loud pipes to be safe on the road, although such loud pipes are illegal in most jurisdictions.
It seems to me, then, that if a vehicle can't be driven safely unless it is driven illegally, it should be by definition an illegal vehicle.

LOL. The vehicle is being driven safely. It is the driving of others that make it unsafe. Experienced motorcycle drivers learn how to avoid driving in others blind spots, something that a lot of automobile drivers are oblivious to.

I can see both sides of the OP's post. When I'm wanting to spend a quiet day relaxing, I find that a loud bike or car disrupts that. I've also seen a lot of car drivers drive carelessly and endanger motorcycle drivers of quiet bikes (including an incident last week where a distracted driver nearly downed a biker on the Interstate with a careless lane change for no apparent reason). The behavior of the biker determines my opinion in each case. Since the OP's peace was only "momentarily spoiled", I think he is the one who is wrong in this instance.

not every bike rider has "loud pipes" or dresses a certain way --as often happens around here putting everyone in one bucket is commonplace--and to be honest bike riders probably have more legitimate cripes about non riders than the noise complainers--heck they are being killed everyday and that's more serious than a loud noise for few aseconds

LOL. The vehicle is being driven safely. It is the driving of others that make it unsafe. Experienced motorcycle drivers learn how to avoid driving in others blind spots, something that a lot of automobile drivers are oblivious to.

I can see both sides of the OP's post. When I'm wanting to spend a quiet day relaxing, I find that a loud bike or car disrupts that. I've also seen a lot of car drivers drive carelessly and endanger motorcycle drivers of quiet bikes (including an incident last week where a distracted driver nearly downed a biker on the Interstate with a careless lane change for no apparent reason). The behavior of the biker determines my opinion in each case. Since the OP's peace was only "momentarily spoiled", I think he is the one who is wrong in this instance.

A few points: (1) When someone chooses to ride a motorcycle, he or she makes a conscious choice to risk grave injury or death because of the lack of protection. That's the rider's free choice. However, that's not a valid excuse to violate the law and blatantly disregard the rights of other who want to enjoy a relaxing day. Some of the pipes could be heard a half a mile away. Also, why the need to constantly rev the engines while driving down a busy 25 mph main drag like the majority of the riders did on Sunday? It's not about safety; it's about the need to feel and act "cool". and (3) the "momentary spoiling" of the peace occurred every 5 minutes or so as different groups of riders passed by.

and crybabies who like to complain--I can hear them a mile away

There are obnoxious pipes and there are very quiet pipes. And then there are most bikes that fall somewhere in the middle. I`ve been riding a Harley for almost 15 years and I still find obnoxiously loud, cracking pipes to be annoying. But never, EVER in a million years would I ride with quiet stock pipes. I have Vance and Hines pipes that are perfectly legal and growl but don`t crack and I love em. People talking on cell phones scare me but drivers who text terrify me. You gotta have some noise especially in a densely populated state like NJ that has an intersection every mile. It is what it is.

Reactions: Bagarocks
more rear end crashes than ever before--loud bikes vs assholes texting/calling --not a contest

Harleys aren't even good bikes lol.
They were not reliable bikes back in the 70`s and 80`s when the old panheads and shovelheads were leaking oil all the time. The Evo engine changed all that decades ago. Do you have any opinion based in fact or just an obvious axe to grind with the brand?

I've been places where loud motorcycles have driven by, and I thought they were too loud. But they were there and out of ear shot within 10 to 30 seconds. So it is really no big deal.

I have also been other places where riders would be stopped at a traffic light and rev their engines, making noise. (I've also heard cars do the same thing.) There is no call for that, regardless of whether the vehicle is within noise ordinances or not. It is just rude. And if the vehicle is violating noise ordinances, then it is rude and illegal.

I have also been in outdoor cafes on roads that are heavily traveled by motorcycles, cars, buses, or trucks. If the driver is operating their vehicle properly (e.g., not needlessly revving their engine as stated above), and the vehicle is within noise ordinance limits, then there is not too much you can do about it. If I'm looking for a quite afternoon in a cafe, I don't go to a cafe on a busy city street.

If I'm looking for a quite afternoon in a cafe, I don't go to a cafe on a busy city street.

That's really the bottom line for the OP's complaint. Want a quiet dinner - don't dine outdoors on the street in a heavily trafficked downtown.

Still find it funny to complain about loud, obnoxious noises on 4th of July weekend. The fireworks that the OP watched to finish off his idyllic day in M-town were louder and more sustained than the motorcycles that passed by for four seconds.

I've been places where loud motorcycles have driven by, and I thought they were too loud. But they were there and out of ear shot within 10 to 30 seconds. So it is really no big deal.

I have also been other places where riders would be stopped at a traffic light and rev their engines, making noise. (I've also heard cars do the same thing.) There is no call for that, regardless of whether the vehicle is within noise ordinances or not. It is just rude. And if the vehicle is violating noise ordinances, then it is rude and illegal.

I have also been in outdoor cafes on roads that are heavily traveled by motorcycles, cars, buses, or trucks. If the driver is operating their vehicle properly (e.g., not needlessly revving their engine as stated above), and the vehicle is within noise ordinance limits, then there is not too much you can do about it. If I'm looking for a quite afternoon in a cafe, I don't go to a cafe on a busy city street.

What about when 50 bikers with extremely loud pipes come down a city street in Hoboken at a slow speed, revving their engines, setting off car alarms, on a Saturday afternoon. Not exactly 10 to 30 seconds of noise. More like 15 minutes or more before the last car alarm is silenced. Why would anyone think this is a good idea? I can assure you those same drivers would be fighting mad if someone did that to them when they were at home. Sitting by the road at an outdoor cafe with traffic going by? You absolutely expect noise. Trucks are louder than cars. But the ear splitting noise from some of the cycles is obnoxious. Not what a reasonable person would expect.

Reactions: JPhoboken
Don't like the loud noise. Our farm is on a lightly traveled road. They like to ride my road on the weekends because of this and it sucks to hear. We moved here for the peace and quiet as did my 5 neighbors who own farms. We are the only occupants on this road. We all hate these riders with the loud pipes.
Stop sticks should solve the problem.

What about when 50 bikers with extremely loud pipes come down a city street in Hoboken at a slow speed, revving their engines, setting off car alarms, on a Saturday afternoon.
Well, I'd call up another biker gang, tell them they're being disrespected, then sit back and enjoy the mayhem while I sipped on my single malt scotch with a splash of water.

Reactions: hawkssox1
What about when 50 bikers with extremely loud pipes come down a city street in Hoboken at a slow speed, revving their engines, setting off car alarms, on a Saturday afternoon. Not exactly 10 to 30 seconds of noise. More like 15 minutes or more before the last car alarm is silenced. Why would anyone think this is a good idea? I can assure you those same drivers would be fighting mad if someone did that to them when they were at home. Sitting by the road at an outdoor cafe with traffic going by? You absolutely expect noise. Trucks are louder than cars. But the ear splitting noise from some of the cycles is obnoxious. Not what a reasonable person would expect.

When I lived in Hoboken, and I guess I should have no right to sleep at 3am right since its a loud town, but I always wondered what would happen if I followed the screaming idiot home who woke me up at 3am and blew an air horn in his bedroom at 5am and woke him up. Pretty much the same things, two idiots waking each other up.

Bottom line, its really about consideration. Nobody has to have a motorcycle that is loud, its a choice. I have no issue with motorcycles, but when you choose to be obnoxious, fine, your choice, but please don't try to defend the indefensible.

Who said anything about legal?:sunglasses:
Well I thought that's what all this nonsense about LOUD PIPES was all about that they are illegal.
So I was just wunderin what stop sticks were and if their legal

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT