ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip?

Piscataway

Senior
Aug 23, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
So I am considering a switch to Miracle Whip to spice up my sandwiches. Mayo is a reliable condiment but I think I want something with a little more zip. Obviously I also use mustard, but I like to layer my flavors. So I also use a little fresh ground pepper. I was also thinking of a hot pepper spread but dont want all that oil getting everywhere.

MW is salad dressing, says so right on the label.
Love Mayo, spit out MW with severe negative reaction along with it.

Funny. Nowadays, you go to decent to fine dining establishments and see the ingredient aioli, which is really just another name for MW, with maybe some other spice or seasoning, LOL.

I'm big on the flavored mayos.

mayo-variety-quartet.png

I didn't like it as a kid but now I just love Mayo on my tomato sandwiches. I ate another couple tomay mayo sandyos today that I am stuffed. I can not waste any of these tomatoes the plants are making for me they are so good.

I don't think I have ever had Miracle Whip in my life. Maybe I will get some and give it a try.

My wife is from Michigan and her family loves miracle whip and Shed's Spread Country Crock (which they hilariously call "butter").

I find both fairly noxious...though I like the spreadability of the crock...Yay Trans fats!

I think MW is just awful - not sure what I would compare taste to. You may want to try horseradish mayo or wasabi mayo - both have a nice kick to them.

Miracle Whip is gross. Too sweet. It makes everything else taste off to me.

I've always had the impression that Miracle Whip was way more popular in the south. Does anyone know if there is a regional trend in its popularity?

Does anyone know if there is a regional trend in its popularity?

NY Times
It's Summertime, So Pass the Mayo
Some Mayo background including:
"If Americans are united in their love of mayonnaise, they differ somewhat on how they think it should taste. People in the Northeast generally buy mayonnaise that tastes like Hellmann's or Kraft. CPC said that Best Foods, the best-selling brand west of the Rockies, has a slightly different formula from that of Hellmann's and is therefore a trifle more highly seasoned.

In the Midwest, the sweeter Miracle Whip, which is not technically a mayonnaise but is used like one, outsells Hellmann's. Miracle Whip, made by Kraft General Foods, made its debut with much fanfare at the 1933 World's Fair in Chicago as a less expensive Depression-era substitute for real mayonnaise. Because it contains less than half the 65 percent fat required by the Federal Food and Drug Administration in products called mayonnaise, it is labeled salad dressing."

Does anybody here make their own mayo when they're doing sandwiches or something?

I do, I think it tastes way better than any store bought mayo. It's pretty easy as long as you have a hand blender\stick blender (with whisk attachment). Egg yolk, tbs of water, tbs of lemon juice, tbs of mustard and a cup of a neutral oil. Put everything except for the oil in your container. Add the oil, let it settle for 30 seconds. Put the blender in, turn it on and you should have mayo pretty quickly. Season with salt. That's your base. Leave it as is, add garlic, sriracha, whatever you want really.

You can do it by hand by slowly adding the oil and whisking by hand but by the time you are done the store bought stuff tastes better.

Miracle Whip screams "Midwestern cuisine" to me, like jello with fruit in it, so I'm pretty surprised to see this as a topic here. Jersey is a mayo state.

MW is just plain nasty. Every good burger has real mayo on the bottom of the bun to seal the bun and hold in the juices.

Reactions: FastMJ
Never been a big mayo fan, which is odd, since I like the ingredients in other things; not even sure I've ever had Miracle Whip, since I always thought it was mayo or like mayo. Big mustard fan of all kinds and do like the dijonnaise mixes of mayo and mustard.

So I am considering a switch to Miracle Whip to spice up my sandwiches. Mayo is a reliable condiment but I think I want something with a little more zip. Obviously I also use mustard, but I like to layer my flavors. So I also use a little fresh ground pepper. I was also thinking of a hot pepper spread but dont want all that oil getting everywhere.

I don't use either. What do you use this stuff for ? I remember when I was younger putting mayo on turkey or chicken sandwiches, but haven't done that for years. I use mustard now. I don't think I've ever tried Miracle Whip - I thought it was made from plastic or something. What else is this stuff used for? or basically just sandwiches?

Mayo, and not that that lite garbage. How else would you make a tuna sandwich?

You can make a vestier and tangier tuna sandwich by using salsa in place of mayo. You can make a healthier, and I think tastier, tuna sandwich by using plain yogurt or even hummus.

Miracle Whip is gross. Too sweet. It makes everything else taste off to me.

I've always had the impression that Miracle Whip was way more popular in the south. Does anyone know if there is a regional trend in its popularity?

I thought the opposite..as growing up in Freehold...Miracle Whip was in our home, and plenty of others.

Down South, they seem to love their Mayo (like Duke's).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT