ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Melody reunion night

The lure that the Melody had for me was as a tandem with the Roxy. We'd go back and forth across the street. Different places, different vibes, different girls. All good.

that was the routine for us as well... Pattis, Roxy, Melody, Roxy, Pattis, Rutgers Chicken.

I have mentioned that my wife's parents owned Pattis a few times but don't think I mentioned that her grandfather owned the Roxy back in the day. After the place closed down the bar ended up in some random store in S. Brunswick on Rt 27.

Thanks, story popped up in my FB feed this morning and Chris Jordan (author), Ed and I and many others have been posting about it. Very cool article. Chris has always done a very nice job writing about music and music in NJ and he posts here occasionally, as @CJ1987 iirc.

I try to tell people every once in awhile that they should listen to Ed's Saturday morning WRSU show (10 am to 2 pm). I still say it's the best radio show anywhere, as he plays literally everything, from Patsy Cline to LCD Soundsystem to the Clash to the Strokes to Kraftwerk to Marvin Gaye to the Who to Courtney Barnett to Public Enemy and everything in-between, including more than a few songs every week I've never heard, which I enjoy even if I don't like all of them. His wheelhouse may be Melody Era music, but he plays way more than that, except for the couple of weeks leading up to the reunions, when he plays exclusively that.
I haven't listened to to Chris' show yet but I will check it out......I stream 90.5 the Night from Brookdale everyday now, their mix is excellent covering old school alternative with a lot of newer local NJ bands as well, really good listen.

I haven't listened to to Chris' show yet but I will check it out......I stream 90.5 the Night from Brookdale everyday now, their mix is excellent covering old school alternative with a lot of newer local NJ bands as well, really good listen.
Do you listen to the main channel or their HD2 Altrok channel? The Altrok channel, which has limited radio range, but can be listened to online, is superb.

Do you listen to the main channel or their HD2 Altrok channel? The Altrok channel, which has limited radio range, but can be listened to online, is superb.
The main channel, I'm familiar with the Altrok station but haven't tried it yet. The old WDRE out of Long Island has an on-line presence too, it's called DARE, really good for 80's and 90's alternative.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The main channel, I'm familiar with the Altrok station but haven't tried it yet. The old WDRE out of Long Island has an on-line presence too, it's called DARE, really good for 80's and 90's alternative.
Nice thing about Altrok is you will get a mix of old school, Melody-type playlist, with a lot of new stuff from some great bands that don't seem to get airplay anywhere else. Sean Carolan runs the station, and I have picked up on quite a few new bands and started following them.

Reactions: CJ1987
Good story- @RU848789 ---

"Upcoming is Melody ReFlux at 7 p.m. Saturday, April 27, at the New Brunswick Elks Lodge on Livingston Avenue. Ed Wong, the longtime Rutgers University WRSU (88.7 FM) deejay, is the host. DJ Lisa Uber and DJ Pete Santiago will also spin the Melody hits and “favorite tunes from the Golden Era of College Radio.”

Opened in 1981, the Melody was a haven for misfits, social climbers, social outcasts, the sexually ambiguous, punk rockers and fashionistas. DJs played alternative rock — the music of the Smiths, the Cure and Depeche Mode — when it was new, along with dance and house music, electronica, hip-hop, and oddities like “Rappin’ Duke.”

"Opened in 1981, the Melody was a haven for misfits, social climbers, social outcasts, the sexually ambiguous, punk rockers and fashionistas."

I wonder which one I was.

Listening to Ed Wong right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT