ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Munich

bostonknight11

Freshman
Sep 13, 2012
Hey everyone, I'm planning a trip to Munich for later in the summer. I'll be going with my dad and brother. Wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for activities/bars/restaurants, especially off-the-beaten-path type things. Some attractions are obvious, but what kind of things wouldn't be found easily on TripAdvisor, etc. Also, which area is the best to stay in? This board has been helpful with trip planning before, so I figured I'd reach out again. Thanks!

Boston, stay in the Old Town area. Do not know your budget but they have all types in that area. It is better to stay in that area because you can walk almost everywhere.

Of course walk through the squares of Old Town and see the City Hall, Churches, Museums. Farmer market is great area to stroll around and grab so fruit etc.

Of course you need to do some beer halls. The HB is the most famous and not bad. Right across from it is my favorite restaurant. Outdoor seating, and good German food.

Make sure to walk though the park and hit the beer gardens, especially during the summer. Once in the park find the surfers, yes surfers, see link:

Area around opera house is also very nice. Right across the street is where Hitler started.

Reactions: MoobyCow
If your Dad is a WW II buff, then I recommend doing a day-trip to Nuremberg for the WW II sites, including the courthouse where the famous post-war trial took place. Nuremberg was also the site of the Nazi party rallies that are always shown in the old black-and-white archival footage in all the documentaries. You can visit those grounds as well as a relatively new museum that chronicles the rise of the Nazis, what it all led to, and why it must never be permitted to happen again.

Love Munich, but don't set your sites to high for the Nude park. I was hoping to see hot german chicks sunbathing, what i did see was old men with their twig and berries dangleing playing frisbee with their dogs--foul

This thread should be combined with the campus renovation thread.

So that I can say "I like to Munich Busch."

There are lots of summer festivals leading up to oktoberfest.. which is mid-September to early October.

Also there are easy day-trip train rides from Munchen to Salzburg and Neuschwanstien

Neuschwanstein
Neuschwanstein_Castle_LOC_print_rotated.jpg

Salzburg
1000px-Salzburg_Steingasse1.jpg

And Andechs Brewery / Monastery is about 30 miles outside Munich.. train or drive.

Ya gotta visit Hofbräuhaus! Too bad you're going in late summer - end of September is Octoberfest. A side trip, albeit somber, is Dachau.

Deutsches Museum (science and tech focused, but lots of historical and cool exhibits)
Dachau
Andechs
BMW museum
You're in Bavaria....drink weissbier
G Schneider & Sons - both the Schneider Weisse and the Aventinus (dunkel weisse) are top notch of their variety
Lots of Italians and thus italian restaurants....for after you've had your fill of schnitzel, wurst, and other German delicacies

You might also consider the BMW Museum and Factory Tour. It's not as boring as a tour of Honda's Accord facility, but... Still worthwhile.

I would recommend Mike's Bike Tours. Pretty touristy but a good way to see the city and learn and lot of information in a short amount of time.

I lived in Allach, a little burg just outside Munich, and used to walk to a gasthof near where I lived on a regular basis. I'd order a weissbier and Sweitzersnitzel. It was a veal cutlet stuffed with ham and cheese, breaded and deep fried. It was so good I still dream about it...You could sit there all evening and read and drink beer with no hurry or hassle.
Enjoy the food. The beer is almost a meal in itself. Marianplatz in the city center is a must see. That's where the Glockenspiel plays every hour, and the Frauenkirche is nearby, also. I lived there for two years and loved it. It's a beautiful place. I hope you really enjoy yourselves.

A lot of good suggestions already. A couple of things worth adding:

The BMW museum is right next to the Olympic Park, so worth doing together.

Augustiner seems to be the locals' beer of choice and the beer hall is nice. I'd put it second on my list after Hofbrauhaus, which can't be beat for festive atmosphere.

Try a doner kabab - seems to be the official fast food of Germany, like a gyro only way better.

Pizza in Munich is pretty good. Can't remember any names, but find a place with good looking pie and it'll probably be good.

There's a bakery/cafe in the Karlsplatz that's one of my favorite coffee, WiFi spots on earth. It's tucked upstairs, and always seemed more local than tourist when I went. Good cappuccino, nice cafe menu and nice views of the best part of Munich if you get a window seat. I believe it's called the Stachus Cafe. I use it like my Munich office.

If you do take the easy train rideto Nuremberg, try the famous brewery/distillery there. I think it's simply Alt Brauerei, but would have to check. It's apparently the only place left that does traditional Nuremberg rot bier, an unfiltered red. It also makes whiskeys and makes different schnapps out of each individual beer - maybe stay the night in town, lol. Don't think they have it there, but find a place with rauchbier (smoke beer), which originated in the village of Bamburg like another 45 mins away. It's like a campfire in a bottle, never saw it in Munich, but did get it in Nuremberg.

Eat Kaesespaetzle mit speck if you find it - German Mac n cheese with bacon. I have dreams about it.

There's a big English speaking expat community, and I've found good info on something like "toytown forums."

Have fun, Munich is great and a lot of good short trips from there if you want to branch out.

Don't miss the Munich Beer Gardens with the Chinese Tower, located in the English Garden (Englischer Garten). Lots of young people as it is near the university and huge steins of German beer. The park is bigger than Hyde Park and Central Park.

Just an FYI, the Allianz is well worthwhile for the Bayern Munich Museum but not if you have no interest in soccer. It's also quite a hike to get to (close to the airport).

Don't miss the Munich Beer Gardens with the Chinese Tower, located in the English Garden (Englischer Garten). Lots of young people as it is near the university and huge steins of German beer. The park is bigger than Hyde Park and Central Park.

And you'll like see some mid-day topless sunbathing by women taking off their business attire to get some rays. So you got that going for you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT